OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 04:43:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux on a powerbook G4  (Read 903 times) Average Rating: 0
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« on: January 13, 2006, 12:26:33 AM »

I'm into doing some experimenting and am trying to use Linux on an external hardrive of my Apple Powerbook G4..... I was installing from the CD I burned (of the ubuntu kernal) and got almost finished... but then it won't install the what is needed to boot from the harddrive with Linux... so I am sort of stuck.  Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks,

Nektarios
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 01:21:54 AM »

I fear I'm not very familiar with mac's architecture or MBR, so I probably wont be of much help on the specifics, but are you dual booting or is this the only Operating System on the Hard Drive? Does the hard drive in question have priority on the BIOS's hardware boot order?

If everything is alright on the BIOS side, try booting to the operating system after installation using a boot disk and make sure the configuration is correct; I found information about configuring the boot loader and links to at this website ( http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_dual_boot_ubuntu_linux_mac_os_x.html ) which says that Ubuntu (which I was previously unfamiliar with) is a Debian derivative and thus uses yaboot, which would surely have all the necessary documentation on their site.

If you keep having problems try reinstalling the boot loader, I'm sure there's a download at yaboot's site to get the most recent release, or if that fails even try another boot loader.

Good Luck.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 09:31:39 AM »

Nektarie,

I think that Dcn Nikolai has this setup on his computer; you might want to ask him.

I use Ubuntu as my primary operating system now and it is wonderful! The only drawback is I spent a few hours figuring out how to run all the audio formats (mp3's can be played but you have to install an engine in the media player and download the codecs, because ubuntu does not bundle proprietary software, which overall I think is good), but its ease of use made it all worth it and I definitely think it kills Micro$oft products.

A.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: