OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:57:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jurisdiction mess  (Read 828 times) Average Rating: 0
zefciu

« on: January 12, 2006, 11:57:20 AM »

I live in a country, with just one EO jurisdiction, but when I visit Western Europe, I see total mess about it.  In UK, where I plan to move, there are at least 3.  What do you think?  Is it good (pluralism, culture differencies) for Orthodoxy or not?  Should it be fixed (by next Ecum. Council e.g. Smiley ) and how? (On autocefalous church per country or some bigger autocefalies)
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 12:03:36 PM »

The question is not whether it is "good" in a cultural (or any other) sense to have so many jurisdictions.  The fact is that it is a completely irregular and unacceptable situation when you have more than one Orthodox bishop in any given city or overlapping jurisdictional territories.  In time, this uncanonical situation will have to be rectified.  Autocephaly for different regions may or may not be the answer in the short term, although in the long term this would seem to make the most sense.

If I am not mistaken, we have already discussed this question at length on other thread(s).  You might want to look at it/them.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 12:11:14 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 12:26:59 PM »

First off, I'm not a member yet, and certainly no expert. In my opinion, yes, it should be fixed. The different jurisdictions are sometimes treated as if they are separate denominations. You'll hear talk of the conservative ROCOR and the liberal GOA, hear of people who jurisdiction shop for the best fit. For an example of that, you can see the threads someone posted about ranking the jurisdictions on different factors. This reminds me of a situation a friend told me about recently. He attends an OCA parish, but there is a Romanian parish meeting in the same building, with a handful of members. His own parish, the OCA one, isn't overly large either. Why not unite and build a strong parish together?

Also, as Pravoslavbob mentioned, it is against the church canons to have overlapping jurisdictions. The situation needs fixed. Whether that be an autocephalous church for the whole country, or a united church under one of the jurisdictions doesn't matter to me. We just need unity. The situations I speak of are here in the US, but from what I see in your post, the situation in parts of Europe sound exactly the same.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: