OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:04:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take us thru lent with you  (Read 1120 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: March 12, 2003, 11:14:39 AM »

Since we are all now in the period of Great Lent I have a request to make.

How about our Non-Chalcedonian brothers and sisters in Christ taking us thru Lent with them by explaining the various services they will be attending from the first week to the last.  With a little background and explaination of the service and what it represents.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 02:56:22 PM »

Dear Orthodoc,

Thanks for starting this topic.  I think it would be better if I explained Holy Week as it happens, and so please remind me to do so if I forget.  But I will briefly describe the first service of Lent, which is the Service of Forgiveness.  Technically, it's supposed to be done on Monday, I think, but in our parish, it's done on Sunday after the Liturgy.  It is a simple service, with some prayers, psalms, hymns, and an Epistle and Gospel.  At one point, the priest prostrates himself three times before the people and asks their forgiveness, and the people respond to this in kind.  In our parish, it is usually in Malayalam, and so for those of us for whom it is not our first language, it gets difficult.  Fortunately, I received in my email a copy of one of the main prayers of that service, which I include below:

O Christ, our God, the eternal Tranquility of creation, and the true peace of the uttermost parts of the world;
Thou Who art love and art called love, and Who delighteth in this title more than all other titles;
Thou Who giveth honor to those who hold to this love.

By Thy love for us, Thou offereth Thyself as an acceptable sacrifice and a sweet fragrance.

By Thy crucifixion, Thou breakest down the barrier of enmity and by Thy blood, Thou hast reconciled the dwellers of heaven and earth and hast removed the enmity from the middle and united them as one.

By the indivisible unity of Thy Godhead from eternity and Thy human nature in time, Thou hast called all those who were far off and those who were near, and thus Thou has joined them together with the concord of Thy divine love.

By this same love, Thou hast counted them among the household of Thy eternal kingdom and brought the whole world good tidings of peace and tranquility.  At Thy birth, the heavenly hosts proclaimed peace to the
shepherds.  Thou gavest peace to the women, who went and announced Thy glorious resurrection.  In peace, Thou assureth Thy holy apostles of Thy resurrection in the upper room where they gathered.  When Thou wast
ascending to Thy Father, Thou gavest Thy peace to Thy disciples, saying to them: “My peace I leave with you; not as the world giveth, do I give it to you. This is my commandment that you should love another, just I have loved you.” Keep this love entrusted to us, our Savior, and by it, confirm our minds.

By Thy love, may we be bound together.
By Thy love, drive out from among us divisions and controversies.
By Thy love, make us keep Thy life-giving commandments.
By Thy love, hold afflictions and sufferings from us.
By Thy love, make us children of peace and tranquility.

By Thy peace, unite the shepherds and their flocks.
By Thy peace, cause priests to delight in their offerings.
By Thy peace, perfect Thy Church and her children.
By Thy peace and tranquility, guide and adorn Thy Church.
By Thy peace and tranquility, lead her congregations and make her children glad.

In Thy tranquility, keep those who are near her.
In Thy peace, purify her deacons.
In Thy tranquility, unite her leaders.
In Thy peace, reconcile the wrathful.
In Thy tranquility, unite those that are divided.
In Thy peace, fill bitter souls with happiness.
In Thy tranquility, keep Thy flock.
In Thy peace, settle doubting minds.
In Thy tranquility, purify our thoughts.
In Thy peace, deliver us from merciless people in authority.
In Thy tranquility, adorn us in all Thy festivals.
In Thy peace, accept our fasting and our prayers.
In Thy tranquility, grant us mercy and forgiveness.
In Thy peace, loosen us from the bonds of wickedness.
In Thy tranquility, break us out of the yoke of the adversary.

May Thy peace be with us and may Thy tranquility reign among us.  Bind our minds with Thy Love and establish Thy loving-kindness in our hearts that we may offer thanks to Thee, O Lord of tranquility, and to Thy Father, the Giver of peace, and to Thy Holy Spirit, the Perfector of true love, now and forever.

Amen

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 03:14:33 PM »

[But I will briefly describe the first service of Lent, which is the Service of Forgiveness.]

So we both basically start out the same way as opposed to how western Christians do.  

Prayers are beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.

Why don't you be our official reporter and take us through Lent with you by reporting on each service you attend and your experience with it?

I'm interested in learning more about the other branch of Orthodoxy.  I'm sure others are to.  This is the perfect opportunity to learn.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 03:59:03 PM »

Yes, Orthodoc, even though I've never been to Forgiveness Vespers in a Byzantine Orthodox church, from what I hear, it is pretty similar, and definitely not like anything in the Western Churches.  

During Holy Week, I would be happy, time allowing (our services are quite long), to describe the services of that time.  Of course, since the Orthodox Church in India is on the Gregorian calendar, you'll get to read about it all a week before you celebrate Holy Week.  Other than the Sunday Liturgies, Holy Week will be the only time I'm in my parish during Lent, since I'm at school, and will have to make do on the Wednesday of Mid-Lent and the Fortieth Day (Friday before Holy Week), although I will have to find an OCA church or something up here for 25 March.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags: Lent 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: