OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:57:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books on OO?  (Read 2280 times) Average Rating: 0
Bonaventure

Faith: Catholic

« on: June 11, 2006, 12:37:20 AM »

I was wondering if anyone could give me some book recommendations for learning about the OO Churches?

If anyone shall not confess the holy ever-virgin Mary, truly and properly the Mother of God, to be higher than every creature whether visible or invisible, and does not with sincere faith seek her intercessions as of one having confidence in her access to our God, let him be anathema Nicea II
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 12:46:03 AM »

Are you looking for books covering any specific subject pertinent to the OO Church?

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Bonaventure

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 12:56:30 AM »

I think I would like to see some books primarily on their history since Chalcedon, their relations with EO and the Catholic Church, any theological works, and possibly some spirituality. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

In a past thread in here, someone recommended these two books:

The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined
by V. C. Samuel

and

Christology After Chalcedon
by Iain R. Torrance

Are they reliable sources for OO theology?

Thank you in advance.

If anyone shall not confess the holy ever-virgin Mary, truly and properly the Mother of God, to be higher than every creature whether visible or invisible, and does not with sincere faith seek her intercessions as of one having confidence in her access to our God, let him be anathema Nicea II
Brigidsboy
Elder

Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 01:48:30 AM »

A brand new text on the Armenian Church is entitled "Light From Light", by Michael Papazian.
I have not yet received my copy, but I hear it is excellent.

It is available from the Armenian Prelacy in New York: www.armenianprelacy.org

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 02:28:15 AM »

I think I would like to see some books primarily on their history since Chalcedon, their relations with EO and the Catholic Church, any theological works, and possibly some spirituality.

For a general overview of the history, doctrines and spirituality of the Coptic Orthodox Church in particular, I recommend:

Meinardus, Otto. F.A., Two Thousand Years of Coptic Christianity
Malaty, Fr. T., Introduction to the Coptic Orthodox Church
El-Masri, Iris. H., The Story of the Copts, Books I, II & III

Of Other OO Churches:

Kermian, M., Welcome to the Armenian Church ÂÂ
Guaita, G., Between Heaven and Earth (Armenian Orthodox Church)
 ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚Â
Doctrinal works:

Ecclesiology:

Malaty, Fr. T., Unity of the Church and Church Sacraments
Paulos Mar Gregorios, The Meaning and Nature of Diakonia
Paulos Mar Gregorios, The Church and Authority

Tradition:

Malaty, Fr. T., Tradition and Orthodoxy

Pneumatology:

Malaty, Fr. T., The Gift of the Holy Spirit
Malaty, Fr. T., The Procession of the Holy Spirit

Sacramentology:

Malaty, Fr. T., Christ in the Eucharist
Kochakian, Fr. Garabed., The Sacraments: Symbols of our Faith ÂÂ
 ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚Â
Patrology:

Paulos Mar Gregorios, The Faith of our Fathers
Paulos Mar Gregorios, Cosmic Man: The Divine Presence - The Theology of St.Gregory of Nyssa
Malaty, Fr. T., The Apostolic Fathers
Malaty, Fr. T., The School of Alexandria: Before Origen
Malaty, Fr. T., The School of Alexandria: Origen.
Wahba, Fr. M., The Doctrine of Sanctification in St Athanasios.

Liturgics:

Malaty, Fr. T., The Church: House of God
Anjewac'i, X., Commentary on the Divine Liturgy (of the Armenian Orthodox Church).

Theology:

Koghbatsi, Y., Refutation of the Sects
Malaty, Fr. T., The Terms Physis and Hypostasis in the Early Church
Malaty, Fr. T., The Coptic Orthodox Church and Her Dogmas (Volumes 1-5).
Malaty, Fr. T., The Divine Grace

possibly some spirituality

Paulos Mar Gregorios, A Human God.
Paulos Mar Gregorios, Loves Freedom: The Grand Mystery
Paulos Mar Gregorios, The Human Presence
H.H. Pope Shenouda III, The Spiritual Man
H.H. Pope Shenouda III, The Release From the Spirit
Malaty, Fr. T., You Are My Delightful Garden!

their relations with EO and the Catholic Church

Attia, M., The Coptic Orthodox Church and the Ecumenical Movement

For relations with the Assyrian Church of the East:

H.E. Metropolitan Bishoy, A Documentary on the Nestorian Assyrian Church of the East: Its History, Present Conditions, and Doctrines.

In a past thread in here, someone recommended these two books:

The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined
by V. C. Samuel

and

Christology After Chalcedon
by Iain R. Torrance

Are they reliable sources for OO theology?

Yes, especially the first one. Another good source is H.H. Sarkissian I, The Council of Chalcedon and the Armenian Church.

For primary works of post-Chalcedonian OO theologians be sure to check out www.orthodox-library.org.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 02:29:56 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Bonaventure

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 01:27:12 PM »

Thank you so much EkhristosAnesti, That is EXACTLY a kind of list I was looking for. It is very much appreciated. I'm going to save that list.

And thank you as well Brigidsboy. You both have been very helpful.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 11:42:14 PM »

For an in depth understanding of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, I highly recommend The Ethiopian Tewahedo Church: An Integrally African Church by Archbishop Yesehaq.

This book gives a detailed history, and extensively covers doctrine and spiritual matters.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »

Fwiw here's the reading list I came up with about 6 months ago based on what is/was available at Amazon.com and other online book sellers...

A History of Christianity in Asia: Beginnings to 1500
A History of the Byzantine State and Society
Among the Copts
The Arab Christian: A History in the Middle East
Christ in Christian Tradition - From the Council of Chalcedon (451) to Gregory the Great (590-604)
Christ in East and West
Christ in Eastern Christian Thought
The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 1: The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition (100-600)
Christians in the Arab East: A Political Study
The Christological Controversy
Christology of the Later Fathers
The Church of the East: Apostolic & Orthodox
The Church of the East: An Illustrated History of Assyrian Christianity
Committed to Christian Unity
The Council of Chalcedon Reexamined
The Council of Chalcedon and the Armenian Church
Cyril of Alexandria
The Divinity of Christ
Does Chalcedon Divide or Unite?: Towards Convergence in Orthodox Christology
The Early Coptic Papacy: The Egyptian Church and Its Leadership in Late Antiquity
The Eastern Christian Churches: A Brief Survey
The Ecumenical Synods of the Orthodox Church
The Ethiopian Tewahedo Church: An Integrally African Church
The First Seven Ecumenical Councils (325-787): Their History and Theology
From the Holy Mountain: A Journey among the Christians of the Middle East
How Africa Shaped the Christian Mind: Rediscovering the African Seedbed of Western Christianity
The History of the Patriarchs of the Coptic Orthodox Church to 849 AD
Imperial Unity And Christian Divisions: The Church from 450-680 A.D.
The Importance and Contribution of the Oriental Orthodox Churches
Justinian and the Making of the Syrian Orthodox Church
The Non-Chalcedonian Heretics: A Contribution to the Dialogue Concerning the 'Orthodoxy' of the Non-Chalcedonians
On the Unity of Christ
Oriental Orthodox-Roman Catholic Inter-Orthodox Discussion
The Orthodox Church & Ecumenism: Present and future
Prayers from the East: Traditions of Eastern Christianity
Readings in World Christian History
Restoring the Unity in Faith: The Orthodox-Oriental Orthodox Theological Dialogue: An Introduction with Texts
The Selected Letters of St Severus
Severus of Antioch
St. Cyril of Alexandria: The Christological Controversy : Its History, Theology, and Texts
Timeline of Eastern Church History
Towards a Common Christology
Towards Unity: The Theological Dialogue Between The Orthodox Church And The Oriental Orthodox Churches
Two Thousand Years of Coptic Christianity
What is the Christian Orient?
Your will be done: Orthodoxy in mission : CWME consultation of Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 12:38:44 AM »

WOW! What great resource lists brothers Asteriktos and EkhristosAnesti! Thank you so much. Alas, I doubt if I'll get to these any time soon. I'm reading Life and Times of Father Seraphim Rose currently (enjoying it immensely). Next I will dig into the Philokalia and the Way of the Pilgrim. But in time I will get to some books on Chalcedon. I am grateful to have this list now! You guys are DEEP!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 01:22:33 AM »

Peace mate,

You may also like to read Pope Shenouda's book The Nature of Christ as it explains the OO viewpoint succinctly and in only 23 pages: http://www.coptnet.com/Pope-Books/Natofchr/index.htm

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 03:07:18 AM »

Peace mate,

You may also like to read Pope Shenouda's book The Nature of Christ as it explains the OO viewpoint succinctly and in only 23 pages: http://www.coptnet.com/Pope-Books/Natofchr/index.htm

I have been reading Pope Shenoudah's books online. I love his spirit and his truth. So far his works have been extrememly helpful in clearly defining and explaining the OO doctrinal positions on vital theological issues. In seeking answers to Protestant criticisms, Pope shenoudah's work on Comparative Theology has been the best I've come across thus far. The only criticism I have is that he slightly misrepresents some of the Protestant positions, and at times erroneously links all Protestant teaching together. But I'm sure this quite unintentional and not meant to be disparaging.

Selam 

Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 08:29:44 AM »

Peace mate,

I have been reading Pope Shenoudah's books online. I love his spirit and his truth. So far his works have been extrememly helpful in clearly defining and explaining the OO doctrinal positions on vital theological issues. In seeking answers to Protestant criticisms, Pope shenoudah's work on Comparative Theology has been the best I've come across thus far. The only criticism I have is that he slightly misrepresents some of the Protestant positions, and at times erroneously links all Protestant teaching together. But I'm sure this quite unintentional and not meant to be disparaging.

Selam 

This is very true. But keep in mind that in Egypt, Protestants have much less variety than in other areas
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 11:49:55 AM »

Peace mate,

Selam 

HH's greatest strength is his simplicity of language.  All his material are very quick reads, and he's a Bible quoting machine.  There is no page without a couple of Bible verses, and perhaps that's what makes him a very powerful reading tool also for Protestants.

His theology is also simplistic, which might be problematic in some little cases.  Nevertheless, HH has a good reading list, and I would say it is HH that first got me interested in theology, as well as teaching me to use lots of quotes for a good research.

He is also a poet, and his poetry in Arabic is very deep apparently.  I wish I knew Arabic to read some of his poetry.  He recently published a book on the Song of Songs that's supposed to be really good, on par in spirituality with his "Release of the Spirit."

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags: Oriental Orthodox Pope Shenouda 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: