OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 08:02:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iphone app  (Read 1189 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 17, 2012, 11:26:15 AM »

I think this has been discussed before here, but has there been anymore discussion on the possibility of an iphone app for this forum?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »

I think that would be neat. Smiley I have been able to access the site with my iPod Touch, using the Safari browser, though.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »

I'm sure if someone wanted to code one Fr. Anastasios would be happy to work with them; but to ask this of someone who keeps the website up in their spare time and does not profit from it is asking a bit much, don't you think?

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »

So....I am the proud new owner of an iPhone....all of 2 weeks!

First week, I wasn't so comfortable with it.  Missed my Blackberry...but, now.....LOVING it!

Let's see how quickly those .99cent apps add up! 

Grin

What's your favorite app and why?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »

Stitcher. I use it to get lots of talk radio stuff.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:56:03 AM »

I'm sure if someone wanted to code one Fr. Anastasios would be happy to work with them; but to ask this of someone who keeps the website up in their spare time and does not profit from it is asking a bit much, don't you think?

I didnt figure Fr. Anastasios would do it himself.  I just thought the topic had come up before so I just wanted to see if the idea had been tossed around any more.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:58:56 AM »

First week, I wasn't so comfortable with it.  Missed my Blackberry...but, now.....LOVING it!

Grin

The ancient faith radio app is good.  I also use the one called "daily readings." I also got an RSV w/ apocrypha Bible app, but it was $5 I think. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »

I'd like to resurrect this.  There are a number of SMF (Simple Machine Forums, the software we use for the forum) apps available on iTunes. 

Taptalk Forum App
Forum Reader (Paid and Free Versions)
Forum Runner (doesn't seem to support SMF yet, but I think it's in the works)

Has anyone had experience with any of these apps?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:03:17 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 12:06:36 AM »

^ I don't have experience with them, but i'd LOVE to have an Ap for OC.Net. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »

awesome! ill check it out.

and the 'taptalk' app is actually called 'tapatalk'

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »

An app would be great, but couldn't the site also just have a smartphone plugin installed? This seems to be a fairly simple thing to do.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »

I'd like to resurrect this.  There are a number of SMF (Simple Machine Forums, the software we use for the forum) apps available on iTunes. 

Taptalk Forum App
Forum Reader (Paid and Free Versions)
Forum Runner (doesn't seem to support SMF yet, but I think it's in the works)

Has anyone had experience with any of these apps?

I use Tapatalk, Father, and its very good. I think it's also the most popular of ones you've listed.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 01:02:59 AM »

Umm...before i pay for this app...can someone tell us how this works exactly?  How would I be able to use OC.net on this app?  The app I'm referring to is Tapatalk

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 01:35:15 AM »

Grin

The ancient faith radio app is good.  I also use the one called "daily readings." I also got an RSV w/ apocrypha Bible app, but it was $5 I think. 
What is it called?  I've been using a Catholic version which was free.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »

i just typed 'RSV apocrypha' into the apple store search.  Its by a company called 'VerseWise.'  This one and the Catholic version both came up and theyre both $5.  I remember some of them being free when I got mine, so I guess the Catholic one used to be free.  I would guess the only difference is that the Catholic version is missing a couple books, but unless youre really big into reading the bible on youre phone (which im not) im not sure id shell out $5 if youve already got the other one.

It is a great app though.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »

Umm...before i pay for this app...can someone tell us how this works exactly?  How would I be able to use OC.net on this app?  The app I'm referring to is Tapatalk

Mina, here's a nice overview:

http://youtu.be/OWnkYF72nLE

To work on OC.net or any board, the admin would need to install a plugin on the back end first.

It does appear to support simple machines,

http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 11:31:09 PM »

After seeing this threat I installed tapatalk on a forum I run. It was free, only took a few minutes to install, no configuration required, and looks great on my iOS device once I bought the $3 app there. Unless there's something more complicated with this forum, I would highly recommend the admins install it just as a low effort way to give people another option for how to access the forum. It seems much easier than zooming in safari to try to hit the tiny links and buttons.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 11:44:53 PM »

Mina, here's a nice overview:

http://youtu.be/OWnkYF72nLE

To work on OC.net or any board, the admin would need to install a plugin on the back end first.

It does appear to support simple machines,

http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php
Oh okay...good...i'll wait until OC.net does this...lol!

I agree with Jonathan.  I'm now able to type fast on my iPhone, and some posts I make from my iPhone, so adding this feature would be great, making it so much easier than zooming in or "guess-hitting" the submit or next page button.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:45:33 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags: apps 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: