OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 07:52:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pat's at It Again  (Read 4990 times) Average Rating: 0
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2006, 01:51:16 PM »

MBZ
the deal isn't dead - it's just that Pat is out of the deal as a partner; another evnagelical group will take his place  - so the Isreali citizens and Arab Christians who can benefit by the tourist dollars coming into their region will still benfit. It's just that Pat won't. Which is a good thing.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2006, 09:23:27 PM »

I guess its a good thing that Pat didnt say this heh?

PAT ROBERTSON DOSNT HAVE A LOCK ON RACISM. 

New Orleans Mayor Says God Mad at U.S.
Jan 16 4:51 PM US/Eastern
 Email this story   

By BRETT MARTEL
Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS

Mayor Ray Nagin suggested Monday that Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and other storms were a sign that "God is mad at America" and at black communities, too, for tearing themselves apart with violence and political infighting.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," Nagin, who is black, said as he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves."

Nagin also promised that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again. Many of the city's black neighborhoods were heavily damaged by Katrina.

"It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild New Orleans _ the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans," the mayor said. "This city will be a majority African American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans."

Nagin described an imaginary conversation with King, the late civil rights leader.

"I said, `What is it going to take for us to move on and live your dream and make it a reality?' He said, `I don't think that we need to pay attention any more as much about other folks and racists on the other side.' He said, `The thing we need to focus on as a community _ black folks I'm talking about _ is ourselves.'"

Nagin said he also asked: "Why is black-on-black crime such an issue? Why do our young men hate each other so much that they look their brother in the face and they will take a gun and kill him in cold blood?"

The reply, Nagin said, was: "We as a people need to fix ourselves first."

Nagin also said King would have been dismayed with black leaders who are "most of the time tearing each other down publicly for the delight of many."

A day earlier, gunfire erupted at a parade to commemorate King's birthday. Three people were wounded in the daylight shooting amid a throng of mostly black spectators, but police said there were no immediate suspects or witnesses.

aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2006, 10:27:15 PM »

Mayor NAgin doesn't carry the same weight as Pat. Also, I get the feel that the mayor was hypothosizing and not speaking out of his a&$

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2006, 10:55:02 PM »

Mayor NAgin doesn't carry the same weight as Pat. Also, I get the feel that the mayor was hypothosizing and not speaking out of his a&$

Why is racism given a pass if it is coming out of the mouth of a minority?  Racism is racism no matter who is saying it.  Lately this mayor has a lot of weight given the fact that the President of the U.S. has visited him and his city more than once during this terrible storm.  Racism no matter what color is wrong and this mayor is no exception.

'JoeS
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2006, 11:00:31 PM »

JOeS

Honestly ---- I did not see this as a racist speech. I don't believe racism should be given a pass at all, by anyone. Nagin has had his fifteen minutes of fame when Katrina hit. Pat's fifteen minutes should have been up long ago, and honestly speaking Pat Robertson gets on my nerves.  Ray Nagin is just a pol in New Orleans. Nobody knew about him before the hurricane and in my estimate we'll forget him next year. Let him rant.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2006, 09:19:29 AM »

Ray Nagin is an idiot without a following.

Pat Robertson is an idiot with an army of devoted, loyal and blind followers.

Ray Nagin, can't manage the economy of New Orleans.

Pat Robertson's personal banking is more complex than the economy of New Orleans.

Ray Nagin is a political opportunist.

Pat Robertson is just a plain old opportunist.

Ray Nagin has a warped view of God, but nobody gives his view any weight.

Pat Robertson has a warped view of God, many of his followers think he walks with Jesus.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
MBZ

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2006, 10:34:53 AM »

Hi all!

Quote from: aserb
Honestly ---- I did not see this as a racist speech. I don't believe racism should be given a pass at all, by anyone. Nagin has had his fifteen minutes of fame when Katrina hit. Pat's fifteen minutes should have been up long ago, and honestly speaking Pat Robertson gets on my nerves.  Ray Nagin is just a pol in New Orleans. Nobody knew about him before the hurricane and in my estimate we'll forget him next year. Let him rant.

Agreed; well-said!

C'mon, I'll spring for (kosher, of course Wink ) po'boys!

Be well!

MBZ (who is feeling Black and Gold all over and is just bursting with Steely pride!  Smiley Cool )

"Peace, peace to him that is far off and to him that is near." [Isaiah 57:19]

"Gather your wits and hold on fast..." [The Who]

"Lose your dreams and you could lose your mind." [The Rolling Stones]

http://tinyurl.com/bvskq

[url=htt
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2006, 11:05:22 AM »

Thank you South Serb

Now I know why you are a lawyer.

MBZ

PO Boys are traif.

MBZ

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2006, 04:46:57 PM »

Hi all!

Quote from: aserb

Um, yeah, so I see:

Po' Boy is the generic name for the standard New Orleans sandwich made with French bread. They are considered a New Orleans institution. Also called poor boy. Always made with French bread, po' boys can be filled with fried oysters, shrimp, fish, soft-shelled crabs, crawfish, roast beef and gravy, roast pork, meatballs, smoked sausage and more. They are served either "dressed" with a full range of condiments (usually mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomatoes) or "undressed" (plain). This sandwich is purely American in its variety of sauces and condiments. It is uniquely New Orleans because the oysters are local, as is the crisp and airy bread.

(1)ÂÂ  According to some accounts, this sandwich was created by a Mme. Begue, owner of a coffee stall in New Orleans' Old French Market in 1895. She took a long, thin loaf of French bread, slit it in half lengthwise, buttered it generously, sliced it in thirds or fourths (not cutting through the bottom crust) and put a different fillling into each section The name is said to derive from the pleas of hungry black youths who begged, "Please give a sandwich to a po' boy."

(2)ÂÂ  Another predecessor was the Peacemaker Sandwich (La Mediatrice), a loaf of French bread, split and buttered and filled with fried oysters. The poetic name derives from the fact that 19th-century husbands, coming in late from a carouse or spree, would carry one home to cushion a possible rough reception from the lady of the house.

(3) The generally excepted history is that the Po' Boy sandwich was invented by two brothers, Clovis and Benjamin Martin, in 1929 at their restaurant in the French Market. It is said that this sandwich extravaganza began during a local transit worker's strike. The two brothers took pity on those "poor boys" and began offering sandwiches made from leftovers to any workers who came to their restaurant's back door at the end of the day. For five cents, a striker could buy a sandwich filled with gravy and trimmings (end pieces from beef roasts) or gravy and sliced potatoes.

According to the Metropolitan News-Enterprise article by Roger M. Grace called Oysters Stuffed in Toast: Po' Boy, Peacemaker, Oyster Loaf:

"Michael Mizell-Nelson, an assistant professor of English at Delgado Community College has studied the 1929 streetcar strike extensively. His documentary, 'Streetcar Stories,' includes a portion on the po-boy's origins.

"The strike was particularly bitter, and Mizell-Nelson has a copy of a letter that Martins wrote professing their allegiance to their former colleagues. In a letter addressed to 'the striking carmen, Division 194,' the brothers wrote, 'We are with you till hell freezes and when it does, we will furnish blankets to keep you warm.'

"They provide free sandwiches to the carmen for the duration of the strike. whenever a strikers would come by, one of the brothers would announce the arrival of another 'poor boy,' hence the sandwich's name."

Soon the sandwich, which quickly became known as the po' boy, was being filled with seafood, most notably fried oysters and fried shrimp. In those distant days, shellfish was abundant and cheap. The affluent joined the crowd because, at lunch or snack time, a po' boy filled with oysters was quicker to consume and easier to digest than one filled with roast beef.

Link: http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/HoagieSubmarinePoBoy.htm

Well, we could make 'em with the (kosher) fish, roast beef or meatballs referred to in the fourth sentence in the above citation!

Be well!

MBZ (who is feeling Black and Gold all over and is just bursting with Steely pride!  Smiley Cool  ÃƒÆ’‚ )
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 04:48:12 PM by MBZ » Logged

[url=htt
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2006, 05:12:27 PM »

Thank you MBZ

Learn something every day.

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2006, 05:55:57 PM »

Hi all!

Agreed; well-said!

C'mon, I'll spring for (kosher, of course Wink ) po'boys!

Be well!

MBZ (who is feeling Black and Gold all over and is just bursting with Steely pride!ÂÂ  Smiley Cool )

Reverse the rolls a little and have a Euro-American say the same thing but only using Vanilla and European American in place of what was said and he would have hell to pay.  Of course it was racial but it was given a pass. 
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2006, 10:13:12 PM »

JOeS

I guess I won't paying enough attention. But you are right is was a racial slur. But, sigh :'( it is in today's culture, given a pass.

Hey but we're way off topic and maybe should do a new thread. People have stopped commenting on Pat Robertson's stupid statements. Let's recap. Pat has said, inferred, declared, whatever

1) Katrina was God's judgment for legalized abortion in the USA
2) Hugo Chavez, Venezuela's President, should be assassinated (not a prophecy, per se, but a statement)
3) The citizens of Dover, PA (suburb of York, PA) better watch out for God's wrath since the school board voted against teaching intelligent design
4) Finally, Ariel Sharon's failing health was due to his giving back the Gaza to the Palestinians.

Now, what disturbs me is that otherwise reasonably intelligent adults listen to this man and agree. If there was mass disagreement funds would start to dry up from the donations that he receives. This leads me to conclude that he is preaching to a subset of Americans that agree with him on these topics. This is disturbing. These are most likely people of the evangelical camp. Are these people in positions of government or policy making. I am sure some are. (I know no political talk.) I'll stop here.

I think it is disturbing to mix religion and politics.

SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2006, 11:12:22 PM »

I heard Nagin's remarks in their entirety (and justifications later).  I still see a difference.

Nagin is a lot dumber than PR.  (Although I must admit, his comments were bigoted).

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
MBZ

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2006, 08:39:41 AM »

Hi all!

This is from today's Boston Globe:

Globe Editorial

GOD'S MIND-READERS

January 18, 2006

NEW ORLEANS Mayor Ray Nagin had a different purpose but the same technique as the Rev. Pat Robertson when he invoked God's wrath as the cause of human suffering. God's name is being taken in vain by those who would inflate their importance or diminish their failings.

Robertson said early this month that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine retribution for Sharon's plan to cede some land to Palestinians. Robertson had to apologize when his remarks caused an uproar in Israel and the United States. He sounded like a caricature of a biblical prophet when he claimed to be able to discern the will of God.

Robertson's remarks recall the Rev. Jerry Falwell, who claimed the Sept 11. attacks were partly the fault of ''the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians" whom God was angry with. Like Robertson, Falwell was using the deity to promote his political views.

Nagin has other uses for God. ''As we think about rebuilding New Orleans, surely God is mad at America," the mayor said Monday. ''He's sending hurricane after hurricane after hurricane. . . Surely he's not approving of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America, also." If God is intent on wreaking havoc on the Gulf Coast, as Nagin suggested, who could blame the mayor if the response to the disaster was ineffective or if rebuilding plans haven't advanced very far? God, it would seem, is being used as a shield for individual shortcomings.

Nagin was speaking at an event commemorating the accomplishments of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. ''I just want to do God's will," King said on the night before he was murdered. King tried to live out his belief in God without claiming to have a direct line to the deity. Those who think they know the divine might better show it by their actions to help others, not by invoking his name as a punishment or excuse.

Link: http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/editorials/articles/2006/01/18/gods_mind_readers/

Well-said!  (I underlined the sentence that I like.)

Be well!

MBZ (will the Broncos join the Colts and get a Black and Gold ticket to the NFL glue factory?)

[url=htt
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2006, 09:30:31 AM »

JOeS

I guess I won't paying enough attention. But you are right is was a racial slur. But, sigh :'( it is in today's culture, given a pass.

Hey but we're way off topic and maybe should do a new thread. People have stopped commenting on Pat Robertson's stupid statements. Let's recap. Pat has said, inferred, declared, whatever

1) Katrina was God's judgment for legalized abortion in the USA
2) Hugo Chavez, Venezuela's President, should be assassinated (not a prophecy, per se, but a statement)
3) The citizens of Dover, PA (suburb of York, PA) better watch out for God's wrath since the school board voted against teaching intelligent design
4) Finally, Ariel Sharon's failing health was due to his giving back the Gaza to the Palestinians.

Now, what disturbs me is that otherwise reasonably intelligent adults listen to this man and agree. If there was mass disagreement funds would start to dry up from the donations that he receives. This leads me to conclude that he is preaching to a subset of Americans that agree with him on these topics. This is disturbing. These are most likely people of the evangelical camp. Are these people in positions of government or policy making. I am sure some are. (I know no political talk.) I'll stop here.

I think it is disturbing to mix religion and politics.

You are correct that Pat has the greater exposure on his 700 Club. And he continues to spew rediculous statements when it comes to his pronouncements on what he thinks God's roll is here in America.  I just hope that America is adult enough to recognize bigotry in any form it takes and that racial slurs becomes only a memory.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: