OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 09:02:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: How many people speak Greek to some degree?
Fluently - my 1st Language - 3 (9.4%)
Fluently - a secondary language - 1 (3.1%)
Good/Competent - 6 (18.8%)
Learning/Poor - 8 (25%)
Not At all! - 14 (43.8%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Language Forum  (Read 2276 times) Average Rating: 0
CloudGR

« on: January 03, 2006, 06:09:36 PM »

Hello. I suggest you should start a forum where we can talk only Greek. I think that we have many Greek members and members that talk Greek very well.ÂÂ  Wink
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 06:10:10 PM by CloudGR » Logged
SeanMc

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 06:43:17 PM »

ho de Dikaiopolis pherei tov moskon kai ek tou oikou bainei.

Don't really know the modern stuff, though, and, as you can see, my knowledge of Attic is very rudimentary.

Nevertheless, it's a good idea if there are enough Greek speakers on the board.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 07:01:53 PM »

Hello. I suggest you should start a forum where we can talk only Greek. I think that we have many Greek members and members that talk Greek very well.ÂÂ  Wink

Furthermore, I know there are at least a handful of members who speak Greek as their primary language and english only as a second language, it would be nice if there was a board where they could more comfortably engage in conversation in their native language, and it would be good practice for me to at least try and keep up with the conversation, even if I probably couldn't participate much.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 07:09:58 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 07:08:43 PM »

It may be an opportunity for them to make clearer and deeper arguments if they are speaking in their native tongue.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 07:22:08 PM »

It's fine if we do that but 1) we need someone to moderate it and 2) I don't want it to end up dead like the Russian one.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 07:36:41 PM »

It's fine if we do that but 1) we need someone to moderate it and 2) I don't want it to end up dead like the Russian one.

Anastasios

Good point, the Russian one has become almost pointless...perhaps do it on a trial basis for a few months, then re-evaluate it, if it's actually used, great keep it, if not, shut it down.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 07:38:53 PM »

How about a poll?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 07:47:18 PM »

Good idea, though perhaps you should also ask about interest from those who do speak greek, maybe some come here just to practice their english and would not be interested in a Greek Language Forum, or perhaps some who are competant with greek do not want to be bothered trying to follow in depth theological discussions. Ultimately though, it's hard to judge how successful it will be without actually implementing it; though I suspect it will be more popular than the Russian forum, I dont know how much so.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 08:05:42 PM »

I think sticking just with "who knows Greek" is a better strategy at the moment, just to see the potential "client-base"...
Those who know Greek and don't want to participate won't, but maybe with the forum present they'll warm up to it... You never know until you try.

---------------------
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 04:25:26 AM »

Unfortunately this poll is not getting too much participation, one way or the other, maybe if I bump it up it will come onto people's radar screens, so...bump.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 01:23:47 PM »

Bump

---------------------
Zoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 01:27:39 AM »

I'd love a Greek language forum, personally.  My Greek isn't spectacular at all - mostly due to the fact that I'm a tad intimidated to speak Greek around those who speak it fluently (especially those whose first language is Greek).  I'd love working on my Greek in a real-time fashion (as real-time as forums can be).  It'd clearly be different from taking a class or trying to teach yourself with books.  Plus, "American-sounding" pronunciation wouldn't inhibit me.  GO FOR IT!!!!

NI!!!!!!
CloudGR

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 03:14:36 PM »

I suggest that we should start only a topic where we can talk Greek, see how it goes, and then make a section or not!  Grin
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 01:43:34 PM »

to milo
Yassou!

LOL! I sit in with my kids in Greek School.  They are starting an adult class soon though, whch I plan to take.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 01:46:25 PM »

Well, as an update, there is a Greek Language thread in the Faith section:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=7953.0

We'll see how the thread goes!

---------------------
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 04:04:07 PM »

Perhaps a sub-section would also be wise, where some of the more experienced speak-Greekers can enlighten those who don't.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: