OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:46:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading from two translations  (Read 1886 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« on: December 30, 2005, 11:36:17 AM »

This may be a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway.  Lately, I've toyed with the idea of reading from two different translations of the Scriptures for my private, devotional reading.  The two translations are close enough that I think it is sorta silly for me to have issues with the mixing, but the reason I'd have to mix is that one translation has the deuterocanon and the other has not translated it.  Is reading from two different translations for this purpose less preferable than sticking with one?  Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with this sort of arrangement? 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 12:02:47 PM »

I don't see a huge problem with it...I use both the RSV and NKJV in my personal studies.  I said this in a similar post yesterday:  all translations are going to have certain issues and problems.  But I cannot read the original Greek, so I have to rely on what is available in English.  As long as the translations are good, standard, and respected versions, and as long as your interpretation is guided by the Traditions of our Holy Orthodox Church, there shouldn't be a problem in cross-studying between two standard versions.  That's my 2 cents.

In Christ, Who was Born of a Virgin,

Michael

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 12:16:03 PM »

I wouldn't see a problem of using two translations.  I've got 2 or 3, and I find it helpful in understanding others when they speak of scripture, because sometimes they will form different opinions than I about something soely based on the difference in translations.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
BJohnD

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 12:45:23 PM »

I see no problem with this either.  I have a number of different translations of the Scriptures, purchased over the course of years (including several NRSVs from my Episcopalian days   Wink).  I also have a collection called The Precise Parallel New Testament, which lays out 8 different versions side-by-side-by....  If memory serves, it contains the "most accepted" Greek text, the Amplified Bible, KJV, Douay-Rheims, NASB, NAB, NIV, and NRSV.  Very handy for comparisons, though as you can see it is geared more toward Evangelical and Mainline readers.  Too bad they didn't include my favorite, the NKJV.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 01:40:10 PM »

I also have a collection called The Precise Parallel New Testament, which lays out 8 different versions side-by-side-by....  If memory serves, it contains the "most accepted" Greek text, the Amplified Bible, KJV, Douay-Rheims, NASB, NAB, NIV, and NRSV.  Very handy for comparisons, though as you can see it is geared more toward Evangelical and Mainline readers.  Too bad they didn't include my favorite, the NKJV. 

Is this edition widely available?  I think it would be helpful for my studies.  And as for the "most accepted" Greek, I'm assuming that it's the Nestle-Aland, no?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
BJohnD

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 02:58:23 PM »

I'm not sure which Greek text is used, as the book's not near at hand.  I found it on Amazon, "like new" for a mere $75.  Whew.  I think I paid about $40 for it in the mid-late-90s.  I also recall seeing a complete parallel Bible (probably sans the deuterocanonical books) that contained 4 or 5 translations.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 03:13:55 PM »

Thanks BJohn for the info... maybe I'll pinch my pennies and get it soon.

---------------------
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 04:53:26 AM »

But I cannot read the original Greek

How about the original Aramaic?  Smiley

I've been looking for a traslation of the Peshitta that isn't the Lamsa Bible. Does anyone know of one available?

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
BJohnD

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 06:38:19 PM »

Thanks BJohn for the info... maybe I'll pinch my pennies and get it soon.

You are most welcome. ÂÂ

BTW, I pulled my copy off the shelf and checked the Greek text.  It is the fourth edition of the United Bible Societies' edition ("UBS4"), which the introduction says is identical to the third except for certain variant reading and documentation.  It also says the third UBS version (and hence, UBS4) is practically identical to the 26th edition of Nestle and Aland, again except for variants and documentation.

Modifying note:ÂÂ  The jacket of my copy says, "$34.95 until December 31, 1995."
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 06:40:25 PM by BJohnD » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: