OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:30:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Standing during Divine Liturgy  (Read 14008 times) Average Rating: 0
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2007, 02:50:25 PM »

I do not think modern lighting verses ancient forms of lighting and the other comparisons of tbis sort that you made have any real point.

Standing is an 'act' of the faith which our fathers handed down to us throughout the ages. Light and the and other utilitarian aspects may change over time.

And I don't disagree. Point was where's your line? I've seen too many "traditionalists" ready to fall on their swords over candles and microphones.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2007, 03:06:59 PM »

I am all for priests refusing Holy Communion to inappropriately dressed women (and men if that is the case).  If you're in Church, we don't need to see more of you than your husband does.  And if you have to squat or bend at the knees to kiss the icons you know your skirt is too short.  It's all about moderation.  Because for all the bare shoulders and creeping skirts, there is the other extreme in modesty.  Being modest does not mean you have to look like a bag lady. 

(Oh BTW, SrbMama, I don't know about other parishes, but the only women I ever see dressed to the nines and in 6" stilletos are the Russian emigrees.  Those women are amazing.  I can't make it through 2 hours of Liturgy in Birkenstocks but they can stand and hold babies on their hips in outrageously high heels.)

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2007, 07:58:23 PM »

There is nothing new being added here. Some you are ok with pews and some of you are not. Time to move on people. Thread Closed!

Joseph
Tags: pews standing posture 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: