OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 08:16:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: African Orthodoxy  (Read 2091 times) Average Rating: 0
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« on: March 09, 2003, 05:54:46 PM »

Dear Everyone,

My good friend Mike and I are starting a group called "African Orthodoxy" on Yahoo.  Its purpose is to expose the indigenous Oriental Orthodox Faith of Africa (i.e. that of Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Nubia) to people of African descent in the Western Hemisphere who might otherwise be unaware of its existence.  All are welcome, but please, no militant Chalcedonians whose express purpose would be to convince folks that we Oriental Orthodox are not Orthodox.  I would be especially honored if Aklie, Fortunatus, and our other African Orthodox brethren would contribute.

Peace,

Nick

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 07:16:49 PM »

Nick,

As I really don't care for the format of Yahoo groups(I much prefer UBB-style message boards) and already belong to several forums I will not be able to participate, but I wish you and your board well.  If you get a chance, please post any especially interesting pieces of information here.  That will not only keep those of us who can't join in the know, but every post will be an advertisement for your group.  

A slight hijack - Have you read the book An Unbroken Circle: Linking Ancient African Christianity with the African American Experience?  That is what I thought of when I saw your title.  I very much enjoyed this book.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 11:27:57 PM »

Dear Amator,

Too bad you're so busy.  :- Our forum will be the poorer for not having you!  Nevertheless, I will gladly post any especially interesting tidbits here.  Thanks for your kind wishes and prayers.  Yes, I have read that book.  I too enjoyed it very much.  I have met Fr. Antonious Connor (I believe he authored the first chapter), the priest from the U.S. Virgin Islands, and received his blessing.  I was happy that the book did not emphasize the "differences" between the Chalcedonian and Non-Chalcedonian camps, especially now when we are so close to rapproachment.  I think that heated public debates among the laity about issues that our trusted bishops are already resolving would simply hurt both of our missionary efforts, and we really need to regard America as a field of mission.  There are so many here that have never even heard of Orthodoxy.  It is a shame that we are not proclaiming our Faith from the rooftops, especially when so many of African descent have been deceived into believing that the African only received Christianity through the diabolical slave trade.  This is why so many are turning to Islam.  If they only knew that there was more to Christianity than Protestantism and Roman Catholicism!  This is our fault, and we've gotta get to work getting the Word out.

In XC,

Nick

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Aklie Semaet

Thank God for my fiancée!

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 02:45:30 AM »

A very noble idea and undertaking Nick.

I joined and I will invite others to join

I can foresee that page going very far and filling a tremendous gap in needed resources. As such, eventually you will have to move beyond the Yahoo format.

Ethiopia ijochwan wede Egzabiher tezregalech
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 05:28:29 PM »

If it is God's will.

Thanks for supporting this dream of mine!  Grin

Fortunatus
Son of Antony

Faith: Orthodox

'If thou wilt be perfect...'

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2003, 01:07:58 AM »

+Irini nem ehmot
Dear Antonious, I just got this message. I will join, though I don't know how much I can offer.

...but I can't find it on Yahoo?!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2003, 01:10:24 AM by Fortunatus » Logged

Agape,
         Fortunatus
Amen, maranatha!
"A man's life or death cometh from his neighbour; if we benefit our brother we benefit ourselves, and if we offend him we sin against God." - The Great Abba Antony
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 02:29:09 PM »

Here is the address:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AfricanOrthodoxChristianity/

I'm sure you have a lot to contribute.  Right now. we're discussing ways of being missionaries in America.

Peace,

Nick

Tags: Africa African Orthodoxy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: