OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 06:15:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marriage service of the Western Rite  (Read 1328 times) Average Rating: 0
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« on: December 27, 2005, 10:37:14 AM »

The Eastern Orthodox Church has a marriage service that is quite different from the standard protestant service we are used to seeing. I was wondering what marriages look like in the Western Rite Orthodox Church, which from what I understand uses a modified version of the Anglican Book of Common Prayer. Is it like the standard protestant service and in what ways is it different from it? Are stefania (wreaths or crowns) used, is there a "betrothal", etc?

If someone could provide the text of the service as used in Western Rite churches, I would be most grateful.

NULL
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 10:46:25 PM »

I sang at a marriage in a Western Rite church.... One of our parishoners was getting married and the marriage was being corrected by our priest at the catholic church so they wanted the choir to sing the responses.  At any rate, my personal opinion was that the service was very cut and dry, and there wasn't much to it. We were in and out in about 35 minutes and there was really no flow to the service. I don't know about a transcript, but I can say it didn't satisfy me one bit. It was almost kind of painful to sit through.

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: