OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 07:05:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Library  (Read 1603 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: December 24, 2005, 02:13:56 PM »

Subdeacon Peter Farrington of the British (Coptic) Orthodox Church, (author of articles like The Orthodox Christology of St Severus of Antioch and After Chalcedon - Orthodoxy in the 5th/6th Centuries) has begun compiling english translations of the works of prominent OO Fathers into an OO library set. Book 1 of Volume 1, Selected Letters of Severus of Antioch, is available for purchase online now: http://books.lulu.com/content/132545

I just happened to come across the above link by chance, so if anyone receives any information regarding any further publication of the OO Library, please keep this thread updated.

+irini nem makarismos
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 02:15:56 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 06:56:44 PM »

Thanks for the resource.  I didn't know about this.  Do you know if Deacon Peter, or anyone else, plans on publishing an English translation of the writings of St. Timothy the Cat?  Would that be a part of the OO Library?  That would be very cool!

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 01:18:32 AM »

Do you know if Deacon Peter, or anyone else, plans on publishing an English translation of the writings of St. Timothy the Cat?  Would that be a part of the OO Library? 

I honestly have no idea; however I believe you’re in a much better position to find out for us, considering you’re a member of the OO forum that Peter is also a member of, and of which I was recently banned from. Maybe you could post a thread there inquiring into the situation, that you may keep us updated over here with any new information you may receive.

I’d personally like to see a book with a good collection of the writings of St Dioscorus. It’s his character more than his theology that I’m particularly interested in. From the little I’ve read of him, he seems to be able to cultivate the perfect balance between firmness and strictness on the one hand, and humility and love on the other, without letting one compromise or challenge the other. The little I have read of his life in exile also seems quite fascinating; he lived a selfless life to the end, serving the poor and performing miracles amongst the sick. I believe one of his deacons wrote a biography of him in Coptic, detailing his life in exile, so it would be great if that were to be translated and published also.

+irini nem ehmot

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 03:31:32 AM »

I am so sorry to hear you were banned   Embarrassed .  I always learn so much from reading your posts.

Anyway, I went on the other board and posted a question about the library.  I asked what other church fathers will be covered by it.  In particular, I asked about St. Dioscorus and St. Timothy.  I'll let you know what I find out.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 06:56:34 PM »

Peter answered me with the following information:

The first three volumes will be coming out in January:

They are:

i.ÂÂ  The Selected Letters of St. Severus
ii.ÂÂ  The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined
iii.ÂÂ  The Lausiac History of Palladius

Then he'll be bringing out

iv.ÂÂ  The Ecclesiatical History of Zachariah of Mitylene
v.  ÃƒÆ’‚ The Works of Timothy Aelurus

And he'll be trying to bring out the first edition of a new journal, The Journal of Oriental Orthodox Studies.

This year he'll also be trying to put together a team of French speaking OO's to translate some of the Cathedral Homilies of St. Severus into English.

He is also working on publishing in the OO Library series:

vi.ÂÂ  Three Monophysite Christologies by Professor Roberta Chestnut Bondi
vii.ÂÂ  The Patriarchate of Severus of Antioch by Professor Robin Darling
viii.ÂÂ  Collected Papers of Dr. Youssef Youhannis

He's hoping to have the volumes published by the end of 2006, as well as at least one journal edition.

Wow!ÂÂ  It looks like Peter's a busy guy!

« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 06:57:01 PM by Salpy » Logged

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 12:19:41 PM »

Thanks Salpy.

Nothing on St Dioscorus?  Sad

+irini nem ehmot

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 01:03:40 PM »

As I was looking at the back cover of the book linked to in my first post i noticed a website, which is apparently the official website of the Oriental Orthodox library:

www.orthodox-library.com

+irini nem ehmot

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 04:47:26 PM »

I guess there aren't any immediate plans to translate the works of St. Dioscorus.   Sad   Hopefully, they'll add that later.  I am excited, however, about St. Timothy.  Thanks for the new link!

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 10:12:27 AM »

I thought I would notify everyone of the fact that the Oriental Orthodox Library has been updated since the time of the last post in this thread. The following books in the Oriental Orthodox Library series are now available for purchase:

The Kebra Nagast or Book of Kings

The Kebra Nagast, or the Book of the Glory of Kings, is an account written in Ge'ez of the origins of the Solomonic line of the Emperors of Ethiopia. The text, in its existing form, is at least seven hundred years old, and is considered by many Ethiopian Christians to be an inspired and a reliable account. Not only does it contain an account of how the Queen of Sheba met Solomon, and about how the Ark of the Covenant came to Ethiopia with Menelik I, but contains an account of the conversion of the Ethiopians from the worship of the sun, moon, and stars to that of the "Lord God of Israel".

Selected Works of St Cyril of Alexandria

St Cyril of Alexandria is one of the greatest Fathers of the 5th century, well known for his contributions to the Christological debates concerning Nestorius. This collection of some of his important Christological and controversial works contains some of his most well known texts, such as 'That Christ is One', his writings against Nestorius, and his Scholia on the Incarnation. This volume also contains fragments fron his writings against Theodore, Diodore and the Synousiasts. This translation of these writings by St Cyril of Alexandria was first published in 1881 and was translated by P.E. and E.B. Pusey.

The History of the Patriarchs of the Coptic Orthodox Church to 849 AD

The History of the Patriarchs of Alexandria is the Liber Pontificalis of the Coptic church. The first part of it is a compilation made, as we read in one of the prefaces at the head of the manuscripts, by Severus, bishop of El-Eschmounein in upper Egypt, between Minieh and Asiout, based on Greek and Coptic documents which he found in the monasteries of his country, and which he translated with the help of some clerks. This history of the first centuries of the Coptic church is based above all on Eusebius and some primitive Acts, But from the seventh century on, and above all from the era of the Arab conquest, the history of the patriarchs becomes much more complete and more interesting. Here we have a series of real biographies written by contemporary authors, such as John the Deacon, in the time of the patriarch Michael I, and George, archdeacon and syncellus of the patriarch Simon.

The Syriac History of Zachariah of Mitylene

The Syriac Chronicle of Zachariah of Mitylene is a very important source of information about the anti- Chalcedonian communion to the middle of the 6th century. It contains letters by many of the patriarchs and leading figures of the resistance to Chalcedon, as well as documentary evidence of the basis of the long standing and principled objection to the Chalcedonian position. This translation of the Syriac Chronicle of Zachariah of Mitylene was produced by F.J. Hamilton and E.W. Brooks in 1899.

The Ascetic Discourses and Three Letters of Philoxenus of Mabbog

Philoxenus (Syriac, Aksenaya) of Mabbog (died 523), was one of the best of Syriac prose writers, and a vehement champion of the Anti-Chalcedonian doctrine in the end of the 5th and beginning of the 6th centuries. The years which followed the Council of Chalcedon were a stormy period in the Syrian Church. Philoxenus soon attracted notice by his strenuous advocacy of Non-Chalcedonian doctrine, and on the expulsion of Calandio in 485 was ordained bishop of Mabbog by his Non-Chalcedonian successor Peter the Fuller . It was probably during the earlier years of his episcopate that Philoxenus composed his thirteen discourses on the Christian life.

Commentary on the Gospel of St John - Part II

St Cyril of Alexandria is one of the greatest Fathers of the 5th century, well known for his contributions to the Christological debates concerning Nestorius, but his scriptural commentaries are less well known, and are harder to obtain in English translation. This commentary is especially important because it allows us to gain an insight into St Cyril’s theology through the medium of his writing about the Gospel of St John. This translation of the Commentary on the Gospel of St John by St Cyril of Alexandria was first published in 1885 and was translated by H.P. Liddon.

Commentary on the Gospel of St John - Part I

St Cyril of Alexandria is one of the greatest Fathers of the 5th century, well known for his contributions to the Christological debates concerning Nestorius, but his scriptural commentaries are less well known, and are harder to obtain in English translation. This commentary is especially important because it allows us to gain an insight into St Cyril’s theology through the medium of his writing about the Gospel of St John. This translation of the Commentary on the Gospel of St John by Sy Cyril of Alexandria was first published in 1874 and was translated by P.E. Pusey.

http://www.lulu.com/orthodoxlibrary

http://www.orthodox-library.com/

Tags: Oriental Orthodox Oriental Orthodox library British Orthodox Church books bookstore 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: