OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 04:01:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abstinence from sexual relations  (Read 1975 times) Average Rating: 0
Hypo-Ortho
« on: March 09, 2003, 03:43:19 PM »

Today, Cheesefare (Forgiveness) Sunday, March 9, 2003, the new Acting Rector of my OCA parish church, a newly-ordained priest, had the following printed on the front page of our weekly parish bulletin:

"FAST DAYS----Great Lent until April 27th.  According to the Church rules, during this period, we should abstain from meat, eggs, dairy products and *SEXUAL RELATIONS."*  (emphasis mine)

Have any of your parish priests included sexual fasting in the regulations posted for Great Lent?

On page 6 of today's bulletin, our priest had the following printed:

"FASTING RULES FOR GREAT LENT----Fish is permitted on March 25, the Feast of the Annunciation, and April 20, the Entry of the Lord into Jerusalem.  Wine and oil are permitted on all Saturdays and Sundays of Great Lent (except on Great Saturday, when wine, but not oil, is permitted), on March 24, the eve of the Feast of the Annunciation, on April 9 and 10, the eve and Feast of the St. Andrew Standing, and on April 24, Great Thursday.  Wine but not oil is permitted on April 11, on the eve of the Saturday of the Akathist Hymn, and on April 26, Great Saturday.  On all other days of Great Lent, we abstain from eating fish, wine and oil."

On the Saturdays when we have church school, a light supper is provided to the children.  Father expects that the supper provided be in accord with the Church's Lenten fasting discipline, i.e., no meat, eggs, or dairy products.

What do you think about introducing our Orthodox children to the Church's canons on fasting at a young age?  (You'd be surprised at how many *adults* in the parish did not know that fish was on the "prohibited list!")

Hypo-Ortho
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 11:08:21 PM »

:)Glory to Jesus Christ!

What Father printed in the bulletin is true---we are supposed to fast from sexual activity on all days that we fast throughout the year. I learned this in my catechism class from a Greek Priest  some 16 years ago. I have since heard it from every priest that I have had in various parishes GAO, ROCOR, AOC.

Your brother in Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 11:44:32 PM »

:)Glory to Jesus Christ!

What Father printed in the bulletin is true---we are supposed to fast from sexual activity on all days that we fast throughout the year. I learned this in my catechism class from a Greek Priest  some 16 years ago. I have since heard it from every priest that I have had in various parishes GAO, ROCOR, AOC.

Thomas, *I* knew it was true.  However, this is the first time that I've seen it in print in a parish bulletin.  Now there are no more excuses for ignorance.  A blessed and spiritually fruitful Great Fast to you!

In Christ,
Hypo-Ortho
James the Just
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 12:56:10 AM »

Brother Hypo,

Being married for 26 years or so will make observing this rule easy..........for me. Wink

In Christ,
James
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 04:41:18 PM »

I am not married so this is one fast rule I will be able to keep throughout Great Lent. Tongue
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 11:23:40 AM by sinjinsmythe » Logged

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 06:06:22 PM »

Question:  So, do you think the Church (well, not the Church per se, but bear with me) is saying that there should, ideally, be no December/January babies?
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 10:08:41 PM »

Question:  So, do you think the Church (well, not the Church per se, but bear with me) is saying that there should, ideally, be no December/January babies?

Well, if there are, Elisha, we'll know who couldn't keep one aspect of the Fast, won't we!   Wink

Hypo-Ortho
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 12:59:59 AM »

Well, if there are, Elisha, we'll know who couldn't keep one aspect of the Fast, won't we!   Wink

Hypo-Ortho

I'm not married. Wink
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 09:01:35 AM »

Elisha<<I'm not married. >>

Even greater reason to keep the Fast!   Grin

Hypo-Ortho
Tags: marriage fasting Great Lent Abstinence sex asceticism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: