Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 7937069 times)

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28935 on: June 18, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »
(HUMS ELEVATOR MUSIC) ::)
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #28936 on: June 18, 2018, 02:12:13 PM »
At one time I had hoped that Mor Ephrem would leap frog me

Who among us hasn't, sugar?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 02:12:40 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28937 on: June 18, 2018, 02:27:12 PM »
There are so many things I'm glad I don't know.  This also shows whose minds are in the gutter and whose aren't...
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28938 on: June 18, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »
There are so many things I'm glad I don't know.  This also shows whose minds are in the gutter and whose aren't...

I'm sorry.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #28939 on: June 18, 2018, 02:35:17 PM »
Teacher: You better Have that essay in by tomorrow!
Me: Don't worry, I'll have it in quicker than Livenotonevil can change his profile image.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 02:35:36 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28940 on: June 18, 2018, 02:42:21 PM »
Teacher: You better Have that essay in by tomorrow!
Me: Don't worry, I'll have it in quicker than Livenotonevil can change his profile image.

OFFFFFFFFFFFFFT THAT IS A GOOD ONE!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28941 on: June 18, 2018, 09:54:57 PM »
Met my second cousin's stepdaughter yesterday, at a first sight I thought she looked particularly Russian or Ukrainian. We started to talk and she commented she was going to look for Polish citizenship due to ancestry, but curiously couldn't find many ocurrences of her surname online. After she told me her grandfather lost his home after World War II, Operation Vistula came to mind, so I simply googled her surname in the Cyrillic alphabet and found out it was actually Ukrainian.

I thought she looked nice, smart and religious so I might "invest" on her. Then I found out she's fourteen (I swear she looks pretty older than that). My family kept telling we should get together anyway, but I guess that's the kind of stuff younger people tend to be more conservative about, lol.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28942 on: June 18, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »
Met my second cousin's stepdaughter yesterday, at a first sight I thought she looked particularly Russian or Ukrainian. We started to talk and she commented she was going to look for Polish citizenship due to ancestry, but curiously couldn't find many ocurrences of her surname online. After she told me her grandfather lost his home after World War II, Operation Vistula came to mind, so I simply googled her surname in the Cyrillic alphabet and found out it was actually Ukrainian.

I thought she looked nice, smart and religious so I might "invest" on her. Then I found out she's fourteen (I swear she looks pretty older than that). My family kept telling we should get together anyway, but I guess that's the kind of stuff younger people tend to be more conservative about, lol.

How liberal are Brazil's Romeo and Juliet laws?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28943 on: June 18, 2018, 10:12:58 PM »
People are considered capable of sexual discernment when they turn 14, so it's prima facie perfectly legal from that point, but "rape of vulnerable person" in absolute presumption before it. This works not only for the sake of legal sexual relationships, but also for other kinds of sexual crimes.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28944 on: June 18, 2018, 10:28:31 PM »
People are considered capable of sexual discernment when they turn 14, so it's prima facie perfectly legal from that point, but "rape of vulnerable person" in absolute presumption before it. This works not only for the sake of legal sexual relationships, but also for other kinds of sexual crimes.

Ah.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #28945 on: June 19, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »
I Just Got the Zelda Mega Collection for the Gamecube and plan to have a Zeldathon.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28946 on: June 19, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »
Russian Orthodoxy is great!

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #28947 on: June 19, 2018, 11:09:21 AM »
Russian Orthodoxy is great!
Yes, it is.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:09:39 AM by Jackson02 »

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #28948 on: June 19, 2018, 10:41:59 PM »
I am somewhat surprised that with how many Russian I have as friends on Facebook, none of them seem to care about the World Cup at all. I would have thought that even those who weren't serious fans would get excited about being the host nation and the two decisive wins so far.

Also, does anybody else find Aly Wagner annoying as an announcer?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #28949 on: June 20, 2018, 05:39:43 AM »
I am somewhat surprised that with how many Russian I have as friends on Facebook, none of them seem to care about the World Cup at all. I would have thought that even those who weren't serious fans would get excited about being the host nation and the two decisive wins so far.

Most of Russians, at least living in the homeland, don't have Facebook, but Vkontakte.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #28950 on: June 20, 2018, 07:44:54 AM »

Most of Russians, at least living in the homeland, don't have Facebook, but Vkontakte.
True, but I have 40+ Russians, and many of them post primarily in Russian, this includes at least 6+who are currently in Russia and are active on FB.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28951 on: June 20, 2018, 11:44:41 AM »
true VK is prominent but Facebook is starting to become prominent in the Good Old Motherland Russian Federation

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28952 on: June 21, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »
anyone here!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28953 on: June 21, 2018, 03:07:47 PM »
I'm at McDonalds...

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28954 on: June 21, 2018, 03:10:16 PM »
I'm at McDonalds...

I prefer Теремок(Teremok)  ;)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28955 on: June 21, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »
I've never been  :-\

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28956 on: June 21, 2018, 03:17:11 PM »
I've never been  :-\

you don't live in Russia! and there is only two in NYC so I guess you've got a fat chance of ever ordering there!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #28957 on: June 21, 2018, 03:20:44 PM »
Yeah, well how many Eat n' Parks do you have? That's what I thought.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28958 on: June 21, 2018, 03:29:54 PM »
Yeah, well how many Eat n' Parks do you have? That's what I thought.

are there any Eat n' Parks in Edinburgh, Scotland?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28959 on: June 21, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »
New Johnny Depp Expenses Disclosed by Ex-Managers in Amended Lawsuit

Specifically, reading the legal document at the bottom. Not sure why I like reading these as much as I do. Maybe because they're gossipy but I can pretend it's news instead. In the end though it's just Jerry Springer or Judge Judy except more organized and dressed up in slightly fancier language.

The Trouble With Johnny Depp (Rolling Stone)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28960 on: June 21, 2018, 05:50:10 PM »
Random book of the day:

Picked it up for 50 cents at the local library. Opened it up to a random page just now, and here's what I read:

"The first product of prakriti is mahat, sometimes called buddhi, or the Great [Samkya Karika, 22]. We have already explained at length that prakriti is the unity of the three gunas, sattva (the basis of mental life), rajas (activity), and tamas (non-activity or inertia). Mahat is characterized by the preponderance of the sattva guna. No evolute of prakriti is free from the three gunas, but in some there may be more and in others less of a particular guna. The sattva predominance in mahat, therefore, means that it is primarily mental stuff, or, to use the language of Western psychology, the stuff of consciousness. There is a theoretical reason why the stuff of consciousness should be the first product of evolution. Purusha is the real and ultimate source of pure consciousness. This potential source can manifest itself only by a kind of 'magnetic relation' of 'contact' by proximity. Since the sattva guna is the nearest in likeness to purusha, only where the is a predominance of sattva can the remote purusha come into relation with prakriti. The logic of the situation, therefore, demands that, if purusha is to guide the thread of evolution, the sattva should preponderate in the first evolute." (pp. 77-78)

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28961 on: June 21, 2018, 06:27:29 PM »
Random book of the day:

Picked it up for 50 cents at the local library. Opened it up to a random page just now, and here's what I read:

"The first product of prakriti is mahat, sometimes called buddhi, or the Great [Samkya Karika, 22]. We have already explained at length that prakriti is the unity of the three gunas, sattva (the basis of mental life), rajas (activity), and tamas (non-activity or inertia). Mahat is characterized by the preponderance of the sattva guna. No evolute of prakriti is free from the three gunas, but in some there may be more and in others less of a particular guna. The sattva predominance in mahat, therefore, means that it is primarily mental stuff, or, to use the language of Western psychology, the stuff of consciousness. There is a theoretical reason why the stuff of consciousness should be the first product of evolution. Purusha is the real and ultimate source of pure consciousness. This potential source can manifest itself only by a kind of 'magnetic relation' of 'contact' by proximity. Since the sattva guna is the nearest in likeness to purusha, only where the is a predominance of sattva can the remote purusha come into relation with prakriti. The logic of the situation, therefore, demands that, if purusha is to guide the thread of evolution, the sattva should preponderate in the first evolute." (pp. 77-78)

errrrrrrm i didn't really understand it!

Online Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #28962 on: June 21, 2018, 09:27:43 PM »
Random book of the day:

errrrrrrm i didn't really understand it!
I feel the same with parts of the treatise on guarding the heart by St. Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain our pastoral assistant gave me this morning, and that doesn't even have a ton of untranslated Greek words  ;D
Quote from: Michael, Pope of Rome
We should fortify ourselves with the truths of the Faith. Our main focus should be to become saints. Unfortunately some spend much of their time in either trying to sort things out or what is worse, trying to convince the world that they are right. If we all aim at sanctifying ourselves, God will intervene and He will straighten things out. We cannot do it without Him.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28963 on: June 22, 2018, 12:32:26 AM »
Something amazing happened. I spent the afternoon helping a teacher get his Spanish pronunciation right as he was recording a 30-second video about why he became a Hispanist (he's a specialist in Spanish ethics). After we managed to get it right, he told me this video was going to be part of a presentation that would be shown to King Philip VI of Spain! He then bought me a book by Plato to thank me for my work and said he would hire me both as a Spanish teacher (he's been reading it for decades and is almost as proficient there as in Portuguese, but he can't conversate) and a Philosophy of Law assistant. So gratifying. :angel:

He's accustomed to my strange behaviour and fatal flaws yet he likes my positive qualities, so I think there's no way I would disappoint him as I usually fear doing when everytime I start working to or with someone lol
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:40:44 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28964 on: June 22, 2018, 02:00:04 AM »
Thank God! :)

That's awesome, man.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28965 on: June 22, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »
good on you man! :laugh:

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #28966 on: June 22, 2018, 08:52:33 AM »
Thank God! :)

That's awesome, man.
+1
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #28967 on: June 22, 2018, 09:58:28 AM »
Really cool!  :)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28968 on: June 22, 2018, 03:01:45 PM »
I just imported string from Europe. I've never felt so Byzantine...

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28969 on: June 22, 2018, 03:02:36 PM »
Something amazing happened. I spent the afternoon helping a teacher get his Spanish pronunciation right as he was recording a 30-second video about why he became a Hispanist (he's a specialist in Spanish ethics). After we managed to get it right, he told me this video was going to be part of a presentation that would be shown to King Philip VI of Spain! He then bought me a book by Plato to thank me for my work and said he would hire me both as a Spanish teacher (he's been reading it for decades and is almost as proficient there as in Portuguese, but he can't conversate) and a Philosophy of Law assistant. So gratifying. :angel:

He's accustomed to my strange behaviour and fatal flaws yet he likes my positive qualities, so I think there's no way I would disappoint him as I usually fear doing when everytime I start working to or with someone lol

Lol, nice! :)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #28970 on: June 22, 2018, 03:38:37 PM »
Happy Midsummer! In Finland it's in theory associated with St. John the Forerunner but nobody remembers that. Usually it's associated with going to your summer cabin with your important ones, going to sauna and getting drunk. And apparently back in the days it was also very potent time to perform various small rituals for young women to see their future spouse. A lot more convenient really than Tinder other modern means.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #28971 on: June 22, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »
Happy Midsummer! In Finland it's in theory associated with St. John the Forerunner but nobody remembers that. Usually it's associated with going to your summer cabin with your important ones, going to sauna and getting drunk. And apparently back in the days it was also very potent time to perform various small rituals for young women to see their future spouse. A lot more convenient really than Tinder other modern means.

See?  We're not so different.   ;D
Happy Midsummer!

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #28972 on: June 22, 2018, 03:46:12 PM »

Lol, nice! :)

+1 to join all the others, as well.  :)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #28973 on: June 22, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
Happy Midsummer! In Finland it's in theory associated with St. John the Forerunner but nobody remembers that. Usually it's associated with going to your summer cabin with your important ones, going to sauna and getting drunk.
Wow!!!

And apparently back in the days it was also very potent time to perform various small rituals for young women to see their future spouse. A lot more convenient really than Tinder other modern means.
Here too.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #28974 on: June 22, 2018, 08:05:28 PM »
Would this forum allow a topic like “traditional orthodox swearing patrerns”? Thought about creating one not sure about the rules.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Online Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #28975 on: June 22, 2018, 09:26:54 PM »
Watching paint dry > waiting for Firefox to compile (or perhaps fail to do so)
Quote from: Michael, Pope of Rome
We should fortify ourselves with the truths of the Faith. Our main focus should be to become saints. Unfortunately some spend much of their time in either trying to sort things out or what is worse, trying to convince the world that they are right. If we all aim at sanctifying ourselves, God will intervene and He will straighten things out. We cannot do it without Him.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28976 on: June 22, 2018, 09:57:09 PM »
Went to another pro-life march today. Abortionists claimed they would start their protest in the mayor's office and vandalise a historical church, so we basically made a watch there. At some point, we met some guys from a swordsmanship group that had actually taken swords to the march. We already had brass knuckles and defense spray with us, so we decided to go together to the abortionist march and check if they would still walk to the church. Unfortunately, police didn't like the idea of walking downtown with swords and politely asked us to return, saying the abortionists were insane and we would find ourselves needing to use weapons and amplify chaos. We met an old lady that claimed her brother-in-law was a legionary from the Iron Guard and to have a lot of memorabilia, disbanded from the sworded guys, and walked with her and her brother to check the march again. There was some minor confrontation, some guy I knew from elsewhere suddenly appeared out of nowhere holding a cross high and praying the Hail Mary out loud, people started menacing us (but obviously not doing anything) after I waited everyone be silent (waiting words of other) to scream to some guy in the other side of the square a suggestion of a better place to shove his big flag.

It was a nice day. Pro-life marches are nice. It was interesting to compare the peaceful and familiar climate of the pro-life march (even the guy with the sword was praying) with the neurotic and menacing vibe of the abortionists. They were screaming improperties about the whole family of the policemen and one of the women that came to "talk" to us looked like she was literally having a nervous breakdown. Lord, have mercy.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:00:53 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Brilko

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #28977 on: June 22, 2018, 09:59:39 PM »
Watching paint dry > waiting for Firefox to compile (or perhaps fail to do so)

Woe to you nerds! You ought to have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #28978 on: June 22, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »
It was a nice day. Pro-life marches are nice. It was interesting to compare the peaceful and familiar climate of the pro-life march to the neurotic vibe of the abortionists.
#########
That’s quite subjective. From your description prancing around with sabers sounds st least cartoonish.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28979 on: June 22, 2018, 10:09:07 PM »
That’s quite subjective. From your description prancing around with sabers sounds st least cartoonish.
Cartoonish, yeah, but we were all calm, laughing, and we were the only people showing to be able to offer some resistance. The elderly siblings I referred to were pretty bold, but they were elders and still very polite. When we went to the abortionist protest, there was a lot of screaming, chaos, people covering their faces, screaming pornography to each other and the police even though it was just standing between the abortionists and a public building without seeming to have firearms... Some girl threatened to hit my face with a glass bottle (I just laughed since I knew she wasn't gonna do it, and even if so, I could defend myself anyway), another started to scream "IT'S MY UTERUS" so loudly and desperately it seemed she was being tortured or something, some guy was also seeming to break down threatening us from a safe distance (we asked him to come and he just turned on his back and walked away).

I never thought Proverbs 28:1 could look so real. These people were in the hundreds and they literally refused to march to the originally intended place because there were about a hundred people praying there, the vast majority as inoffensive as one can imagine. They screamed words of order, threatened us, but no one came to us, it was just roaring.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:14:44 PM by RaphaCam »