Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 7609744 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:24:15 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28666 on: May 27, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »
So, I decided to read Jordan Peterson's maxims. The top google result was a website full of articles mostly about psychedelic drugs.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28667 on: May 27, 2018, 08:20:38 PM »
Maybe it takes reading in tandem with his books and interviews, but the maxims themselves just look like super vague fortune cookie sayings to me.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28668 on: May 27, 2018, 08:21:57 PM »
I think I get what he's saying with the whole "self-reliance" schtick. But it just seems so... basic to me.

But maybe that's the kind of message the world needs right now. I'm an out of touch Hikineet, so what do I know lol?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28669 on: May 27, 2018, 10:00:39 PM »
Why do people sometimes have problems learning or executing pronunciations with a newly-acquired language? Like someone learning English as their second or third language won't use an -sk sound when required but rather do an -x sound (dex instead of desk)? Is the issue in how their brains are doing things, or is it a more to do with their mouth/tongue/etc. ("muscle memory" or something)?
"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28670 on: May 27, 2018, 10:10:09 PM »
Why do people sometimes have problems learning or executing pronunciations with a newly-acquired language? Like someone learning English as their second or third language won't use an -sk sound when required but rather do an -x sound (dex instead of desk)? Is the issue in how their brains are doing things, or is it a more to do with their mouth/tongue/etc. ("muscle memory" or something)?

I think it's the latter. It took me a couple of months of practice to really learn the German front vowels (the ones with the umlaut), but learning to purse my lips more often has helped and I think I do a fair job now. Learning to roll my r's has proved more elusive, though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:10:48 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28671 on: May 27, 2018, 11:28:09 PM »
Maybe it takes reading in tandem with his books and interviews, but the maxims themselves just look like super vague fortune cookie sayings to me.

I mean, I only glanced over them, but most of it seemed like general good advices you might see in thousands of places, from the 10 commandments to the much-loved list of Fr. Thomas Hopko. I guess the trick to all these lists is how much of them we actually put into practice.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:28:41 PM by Asteriktos »
"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline Brilko

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #28672 on: May 28, 2018, 12:29:12 AM »

There are sounds or combinations in the new language that don’t exist in the native language. Not only can it be difficult to do the contortions necessary to make the sounds, but the differences can be hard to hear because the brain will tend to steer you toward what you expect to hear. The person saying dex instead of desk might not even be able to hear the difference without further training.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28673 on: May 28, 2018, 03:32:38 AM »

I mean, I only glanced over them, but most of it seemed like general good advices you might see in thousands of places, from the 10 commandments to the much-loved list of Fr. Thomas Hopko. I guess the trick to all these lists is how much of them we actually put into practice.

Yeah. Maybe what I don't get is what makes Peterson in particular such a guru to alt-righters. Maybe it's because they've divested themselves of all other authorities (especially the ones coming out of Less Wrong), so Peterson seems new to them. The site I saw them on also recommended Marcus Aurelius and Laozi a lot.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28674 on: May 28, 2018, 11:39:57 PM »
I bet real zombies would be in so much gastrointestinal distress that they would completely ignore stuff like overrunning civilization.

Although... the talking zombie lady in Return of the Living Dead said eating brains made her pain go away... so... ???

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28675 on: May 28, 2018, 11:43:26 PM »
I bet real zombies would be in so much gastrointestinal distress that they would completely ignore stuff like overrunning civilization.

Although... the talking zombie lady in Return of the Living Dead said eating brains made her pain go away... so... ???

Yeah, but then you have to ask to what extent zombies even feel pain what with their nervous system having collapsed... and then the whole concept starts to fall apart logically. Yank on one thread...

Offline Brilko

« Reply #28676 on: May 29, 2018, 12:36:40 AM »
If you can’t overrun civilization and eat the living, what’s even the point of clawing your way outta the grave?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28677 on: May 29, 2018, 12:55:40 AM »
Well, you could sleep with somebody and then blackmail with the (technically true) accusation of necrophilia?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28678 on: May 29, 2018, 01:23:19 AM »
The zombie legend gets pretty pointless when you take the necromanter out of the picture. I mean, it makes sense that one would control a soulless human body for his own means, but if the zombie got out of the tomb by himself, why would he have intentions of his own?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28679 on: May 29, 2018, 02:55:38 AM »
The zombie legend gets pretty pointless when you take the necromanter out of the picture. I mean, it makes sense that one would control a soulless human body for his own means, but if the zombie got out of the tomb by himself, why would he have intentions of his own?

The idea is that they don't have intentions, they just mindlessly follow their hunger for the flesh of the living (Romero's original zombies functioned as metaphors, first for racism and then for consumer culture).

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28680 on: May 29, 2018, 03:00:57 AM »
Wait, how for racism?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28681 on: May 29, 2018, 04:03:06 AM »
Wait, how for racism?

The zombie's mindless drive to hurt is reflected in the way the survivors in the house turn on one another, culminating in the hero being gunned down by redneck cops. That's my reading, anyway. I could be wrong.

It's also been a while since I last saw Night.

Offline Brilko

« Reply #28682 on: May 29, 2018, 05:12:01 AM »
Here’s an article discussing the racial angle in the first movie.
https://www.thewrap.com/night-living-dead-casting-cult-classic-20545/

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #28683 on: May 29, 2018, 09:34:44 AM »

There are sounds or combinations in the new language that don’t exist in the native language. Not only can it be difficult to do the contortions necessary to make the sounds, but the differences can be hard to hear because the brain will tend to steer you toward what you expect to hear. The person saying dex instead of desk might not even be able to hear the difference without further training.

This. When I took a courses on Arabic and Somali I had hard time trying to pronounce some words as some sound would be considered as speech defects in my native language. It's extremely hard to produce proper language if pronouncing it properly makes you feel like an idiot.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:35:08 AM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28684 on: May 29, 2018, 05:27:36 PM »
It's rainy and humid right now.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #28685 on: May 29, 2018, 05:29:00 PM »
It is dry and hot.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28686 on: May 29, 2018, 05:35:36 PM »
It's mild with no rain... in my living room... with 2 fans going...  8)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28687 on: May 29, 2018, 05:52:00 PM »
It's mild with no rain... in my living room... with 2 fans going...  8)

I'm glad it's not raining in your living room.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28688 on: May 29, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »
So... that thing with Roseanne sure did happen lol!

That tweet, yeesh... I didn't know Charles Martel was her ghostwriter.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28689 on: May 29, 2018, 07:10:10 PM »
Immature as it may be, I always go through a bit of a grief period when I "lose" something that I like.

The whole "separate the art from the artist" thing has never come easily to me. And a sitcom probably isn't worth the mental effort...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28690 on: May 29, 2018, 07:11:29 PM »
I just got over the Nostalgia Critic and am still morning Morgan Freeman, dangit!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28691 on: May 29, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »
Morgan Freeman

I had no idea. :-\ Ever since I stopped visiting the Gawker sites I've been totally out of the celebrity-news loop.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #28692 on: May 29, 2018, 10:13:30 PM »
I am beginning to suspect Asteriktos and Volnutt are actually long-separated siblings. Not quite yin and yang, but more like yin and ying.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #28693 on: May 29, 2018, 10:29:54 PM »
Be nice. Words can hurt. Criticize and attack ideas, but don't personally disparage the people with whose ideas you may disagree. And I speak to myself first and foremost.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #28694 on: May 29, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
I am beginning to suspect Asteriktos and Volnutt are actually long-separated siblings. Not quite yin and yang, but more like yin and ying.

To clarify: Just a lot of personality similarities.

And I say this as someone who likes both.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28695 on: May 29, 2018, 11:10:46 PM »
Well, thanks. I take that as a compliment! ;D

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28696 on: May 29, 2018, 11:12:08 PM »
Morgan Freeman

I had no idea. :-\ Ever since I stopped visiting the Gawker sites I've been totally out of the celebrity-news loop.

Yeah :(

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28697 on: May 30, 2018, 04:22:54 AM »

Fwiw, I didn't take it as a negative ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28698 on: May 30, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
O O ● ●

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28699 on: May 30, 2018, 03:04:55 PM »

To clarify: Just a lot of personality similarities.

And I say this as someone who likes both.
I agree. As for me, I aspire to become the white Chalcedonian version of Mor Ephrem.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:05:38 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #28700 on: May 30, 2018, 03:25:02 PM »
Have you ever thought you saw a small event you thought you dreamt about?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28701 on: May 30, 2018, 03:31:21 PM »

A few times. Just last night, I was struck at how similar the layout of a mall in a video was to one I'd dreamt (a lot of my dreams take place in elaborate buildings, both mundane and impossible).

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #28702 on: May 30, 2018, 04:12:52 PM »

I was convinced for years I had seen a movie, but then when I saw it again I realized I just dreamed it.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #28703 on: May 30, 2018, 04:17:49 PM »
You know the octopus people in Ricky Martin's "She Bangs" video? I dreamt about them years before it came out. This is how I know that Ricky Martin is a demonic shaman dream-stealer.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28704 on: May 30, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »
Because Disney was afraid that it would be seen as dishonoring the ancestors, Hong Kong Disneyland is the only park with no Haunted Mansion. Instead they have the "Mystic Manor" with a sort of "Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders" theme going on. It looks pretty cool, if also a tad Oritentalist (ironically?).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28705 on: May 30, 2018, 04:22:22 PM »
You know the octopus people in Ricky Martin's "She Bangs" video? I dreamt about them years before it came out. This is how I know that Ricky Martin is a demonic shaman dream-stealer.

Some people actually take occurrences like that as proof that we're living in a glitchy Matrix.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #28706 on: May 30, 2018, 04:25:15 PM »
Because Disney was afraid that it would be seen as dishonoring the ancestors, Hong Kong Disneyland is the only park with no Haunted Mansion.

Huh? There are haunted houses in Chinese theme parks, and they tend to be way more gruesome and terrifying than the Disney version.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28707 on: May 30, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »
Because Disney was afraid that it would be seen as dishonoring the ancestors, Hong Kong Disneyland is the only park with no Haunted Mansion.

Huh? There are haunted houses in Chinese theme parks, and they tend to be way more gruesome and terrifying than the Disney version.

Odd. Cultural sensitivity overcompensation!

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #28708 on: May 30, 2018, 04:39:05 PM »

Odd. Cultural sensitivity overcompensation!

Maybe they could build a Mexican-Chinese hybrid room where children have to beat a Baigujing pinata.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #28709 on: May 30, 2018, 04:51:31 PM »
I remember my mom taking me to a haunted house in a theme park in Taiwan- there was definitely nothing cute or whimsical about it. I remember lots of the "hanged ghosts" (ghosts who died from suicide, murder, etc.)- elongated figures with long tongues swinging from their mouths.

In Beijing there is a Daoist temple (Dongyue Miao) which more or less doubles as a theme park. It is a depiction of the underworld as divided into various bureaucratic departments, e.g. the Department of Rain Gods, the Department of Forest Spirits, etc. with the deities and their attendants depicted in garish plaster statues. Some of them are really gruesome, like the Department for Implementing 15 Kinds of Violent Death, with all various violent deaths vividly depicted. If you want to get favors at a particular department, you tie a little votive plaque to the railing in front of it. I couldn't help but notice that the Department for Implementing Fifteen Kinds of Violent Death got a lot more offerings than the Department for Protecting the Environment.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:51:54 PM by Iconodule »
- Berdyaev