Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 7122482 times)

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28620 on: May 21, 2018, 05:10:01 PM »
I’ve arrived in Honolulu.

Laki no laila, lili! (I'm so jealous in Hawaiian, at least according to Google).

Wait, volcanoes... maybe I'm not so jealous. Be careful, man.
Unless he island hops, he should be alright.  :)  I'm jealous too, I'll admit it.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Άλιεύς Ἰχθύων
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #28621 on: May 21, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »
The Russian interactions were a lot different yes, with Orthodox priests butting heads with the Russian-American Company over Native treatment, but Russian America was only the Southern third of Alaska (a lot of Natives like to joke that the Russians only had the right to "sell" a fraction of the state) with the northern Athabaskan of the interior and the Inupiat of the northwestern coast barely making contact. The Russians weren't really miners or loggers so didn't have as much reason to penetrate beyond the realms of the sea otter and the whale.

Interesting thing about the Russian-American Company: while much of secular Russian activity in the Americas didn't deviate a great deal from the standard exploitative program, the incorporated RAC closer to the end of its run saw its future in the creolization of Alaska Native populations, if perhaps half-heartedly, and had in its charter several provisions for mixed populations, including exemptions from taxes and other government obligations, as well as the right to education on the Company's dime. Though they were admittedly obligated to serve the company in turn for 15 years (later 6) if educated, completion of service afforded them the right to move to Russia with travel expenses and transportation to their destination, where they would be accounted among the burgher estate or higher depending on personal achievement. This privilege and social mobility was resented by Russian employees, who often came from the lower ranks and were treated accordingly. The prospects given to the "Kreol" thus induced employees and surrounding Native populations alike to engage in self-creolization, whether through marriage or pretension, in the hope of improving their status.

After the US purchase in 1867, Sheldon Jackson and a coterie of Protestant missionaries swooped in and carved up the map, setting up schools and such

Now there are some fellows without much love for Native populations and with all the standard prejudices against "mixed races."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:15:53 PM by Hawkeye »
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #28622 on: May 21, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »

Laki no laila, lili! (I'm so jealous in Hawaiian, at least according to Google).

Unless he island hops, he should be alright.  :)  I'm jealous too, I'll admit it.

I keep thinking Honolulu's on the big island for some reason...
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • St. Joseph of Petrograd pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #28623 on: May 21, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »

Don’t forget about nuclear bombs.  ;)
IC XC
NI KA

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28624 on: May 21, 2018, 06:13:10 PM »
The Russian interactions were a lot different yes, with Orthodox priests butting heads with the Russian-American Company over Native treatment, but Russian America was only the Southern third of Alaska (a lot of Natives like to joke that the Russians only had the right to "sell" a fraction of the state) with the northern Athabaskan of the interior and the Inupiat of the northwestern coast barely making contact. The Russians weren't really miners or loggers so didn't have as much reason to penetrate beyond the realms of the sea otter and the whale.

Interesting thing about the Russian-American Company: while much of secular Russian activity in the Americas didn't deviate a great deal from the standard exploitative program, the incorporated RAC closer to the end of its run saw its future in the creolization of Alaska Native populations, if perhaps half-heartedly, and had in its charter several provisions for mixed populations, including exemptions from taxes and other government obligations, as well as the right to education on the Company's dime. Though they were admittedly obligated to serve the company in turn for 15 years (later 6) if educated, completion of service afforded them the right to move to Russia with travel expenses and transportation to their destination, where they would be accounted among the burgher estate or higher depending on personal achievement. This privilege and social mobility was resented by Russian employees, who often came from the lower ranks and were treated accordingly. The prospects given to the "Kreol" thus induced employees and surrounding Native populations alike to engage in self-creolization, whether through marriage or pretension, in the hope of improving their status.

After the US purchase in 1867, Sheldon Jackson and a coterie of Protestant missionaries swooped in and carved up the map, setting up schools and such

Now there are some fellows without much love for Native populations and with all the standard prejudices against "mixed races."

Good points!

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28625 on: May 21, 2018, 06:23:19 PM »
Raise your hand if you can remember when GameStop was EB Games. Raises hand

I remember shopping at it when it was named Electronics Boutique  :police:

I didn't even know they were the same company til just now lol! I remember the Electronics Boutique days, yeah.

Apparently there are actually still stores with the "EB Games" branding.

...aaaaand I just found out that Gamestop bought ThinkGeek. Now I has a sad...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:26:10 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28626 on: May 21, 2018, 06:25:43 PM »

Don’t forget about nuclear bombs.  ;)

lol

Offline BrotherInChrist

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church
« Reply #28627 on: May 22, 2018, 11:13:48 AM »
In a little over a week I'll be headed to graduate school.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #28628 on: May 22, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »

Congratulations and best of luck.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28629 on: May 22, 2018, 05:46:33 PM »

Thanks.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28630 on: May 22, 2018, 09:53:11 PM »

+1

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28631 on: May 22, 2018, 10:08:00 PM »
I want to do a little research on Finnish folklore. Can anyone point me to some sources on the story of the "forest shroud" or the place where you walk into the forest and everything turns upside-down and there's monsters and stuff (the incomplete description of the story that I've gotten makes me wonder if it inspired the Upside-Down from Stranger Things)?

One bump chump.

I'm not super familiar with the concept and can't pinpoint any throrough explanation in English. FWIW, there's very short Wikipedia article in English.

Metsänpeitto

Btw, how do you pronounce that? "MAYT-sahn-pee-AYTO?"

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #28632 on: May 22, 2018, 10:46:47 PM »
Random fact: Lionfish can die from obesity.
IC XC
NI KA

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28633 on: May 22, 2018, 10:47:49 PM »
It's been about five years since I asked out a good friend of mine and got shot down. I kind of want to try again because I'm lonely and I never really quit liking her that way. She really is an awesome lady.

But I also do genuinely value our current relationship and I don't want to be one of those jackholes who thinks in terms of "getting out of the friendzone" and ends up pushing her away.

Thoughts?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28634 on: May 22, 2018, 10:48:14 PM »
Random fact: Lionfish can die from obesity.

That's depressing. I wonder how often it happens.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #28635 on: May 22, 2018, 11:32:41 PM »
It's been about five years since I asked out a good friend of mine and got shot down. I kind of want to try again because I'm lonely and I never really quit liking her that way. She really is an awesome lady.

But I also do genuinely value our current relationship and I don't want to be one of those jackholes who thinks in terms of "getting out of the friendzone" and ends up pushing her away.

Thoughts?

The obvious observation is that you got your answer a while back.

Is there anything in the current relationship dynamic that makes you think that's changed?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

All hail and agree with AGABUS! the God of this website.

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28636 on: May 22, 2018, 11:42:37 PM »
If I'm being honest probably not...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28637 on: May 23, 2018, 06:50:44 AM »
For some reason my YouTube recommends are getting a lot of alt-right types complaining about the new Thundercats cartoon. One of which calls it a "cartoon for a cucked up generation" *insert laugh track here*

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #28638 on: May 23, 2018, 11:22:40 AM »
I came across a guy from India with the first name "Stalin." I thought maybe this was an Indian name that just happened to sound like the Soviet dictator but, nope, turns out there are some regions in India (full of Naxalites, maybe?) where Stalin is well-regarded and it is not uncommon for boys to be named after him.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28639 on: May 23, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »
Soon it's lunchtime.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28640 on: May 23, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
And beyond it, the horizon?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #28641 on: May 23, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »
I hate office hours. Why an Earth I should work on specific times even if I'm feeling sleepy instead of just sleeping and working during during the evening and/or on weekend.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #28642 on: May 23, 2018, 02:19:35 PM »
For some reason my YouTube recommends are getting a lot of alt-right types complaining about the new Thundercats cartoon. One of which calls it a "cartoon for a cucked up generation" *insert laugh track here*

My YouTube recommendations include a bunch of anti-Illuminati stuff even though I have never watched a conspiracy video (excepting the one time way back some now-banned OC.netter made a video about how OC.net is worldly and full of Masons or somesuch.) Maybe it's because of that weird part of the Venn diagram where 'Dox converts sometimes converge with InfoWars fans?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #28643 on: May 23, 2018, 02:38:29 PM »
This 1977 space recording is downright creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkycNvrpjCs

What makes it worse is that it was recorded in one of the deepest, and emptiest parts of space.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 02:40:40 PM by Jackson02 »
IC XC
NI KA

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28644 on: May 23, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »
I came across a guy from India with the first name "Stalin." I thought maybe this was an Indian name that just happened to sound like the Soviet dictator but, nope, turns out there are some regions in India (full of Naxalites, maybe?) where Stalin is well-regarded and it is not uncommon for boys to be named after him.
I heard of a man from the German-Brazilian community who named his son Adolf Hitler. He was too simple to be a Nazi, so it was probably just "well, I should probably give a famous German name from a relevant person, so why not that incisive guy with a funny moustache everyone talks about?"
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28645 on: May 23, 2018, 05:09:38 PM »

My YouTube recommendations include a bunch of anti-Illuminati stuff even though I have never watched a conspiracy video (excepting the one time way back some now-banned OC.netter made a video about how OC.net is worldly and full of Masons or somesuch.) Maybe it's because of that weird part of the Venn diagram where 'Dox converts sometimes converge with InfoWars fans?

Oh I think I remember the guy you're talking about lol.

I think YouTube's algorithms make weird connections sometimes based on the invisible tags that the uploader adds.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:14:14 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28646 on: May 23, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »
I hate office hours. Why an Earth I should work on specific times even if I'm feeling sleepy instead of just sleeping and working during during the evening and/or on weekend.

I think the reasoning is that you'd be less likely to actually do it. Sort of like the homeschooler who keeps promising to "double up" on their work later so that they can goof off in the here and now... and then it never actually happens.

Of course, that traditional analysis never takes into account people gold bricking during office hours, so you might have a point.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:13:37 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28647 on: May 23, 2018, 09:59:33 PM »
 :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

You're welcome.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Brilko

• Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #28648 on: May 23, 2018, 10:17:06 PM »

You're welcome.

No. I’m Brilko.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28649 on: May 23, 2018, 11:01:09 PM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28650 on: May 23, 2018, 11:02:41 PM »

You're welcome.

Why stop at the mouth?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28651 on: May 23, 2018, 11:19:14 PM »
Thanks to the Gulf Stream, you can actually grow Cabbage Palms in Ireland https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/palm-trees-in-ireland-36548780/

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28652 on: May 24, 2018, 03:14:14 AM »
I don't have 25 cents!

them tribulations in the pre-cell-phone era

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #28653 on: May 24, 2018, 05:21:16 AM »
Thanks to the Gulf Stream, you can actually grow Cabbage Palms in Ireland https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/palm-trees-in-ireland-36548780/

Yeah if you go to some parts on the western coast you’ll see some subtropical species growing. Most famously there are fuchsia everywhere (originating in South America).
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #28654 on: May 24, 2018, 05:37:22 AM »

*checks recommendation lists on both accounts*

A: Seven cute and adorable pet videos and a (pretty awesome) time-lapse of Nebula's makeup.
B: Star Wars, more cats, writing ambience sounds, Hamilton, Eurovision, JT Music (that's my son's influence right there).

I'm good, I reckon.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #28655 on: May 24, 2018, 08:29:50 AM »
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:31:02 AM by Sethrak »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28656 on: May 24, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #28657 on: May 24, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »

I think YouTube's algorithms make weird connections sometimes based on the invisible tags that the uploader adds.

Maybe, because most of my YouTube viewing is minimalist and/or mid-century modernist composers and old agitator/organizer anthems with only very occasionally an Orthodox video.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28658 on: May 24, 2018, 02:11:23 PM »

Maybe, because most of my YouTube viewing is minimalist and/or mid-century modernist composers and old agitator/organizer anthems with only very occasionally an Orthodox video.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say YouTube say "activist" and thought "conspiracy theory." Also, maybe less views on your part in general means that that one video from years ago is still having a noticeable effect? I think deleting your browser history will get rid of it.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28659 on: May 24, 2018, 02:13:14 PM »

Yeah if you go to some parts on the western coast you’ll see some subtropical species growing. Most famously there are fuchsia everywhere (originating in South America).

Oh, nice (hopefully they're not turning into invasive weeds).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:13:52 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #28660 on: May 24, 2018, 02:35:45 PM »
They're used for hedges. I don't think they're regarded as a problem.
- Berdyaev

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28661 on: May 24, 2018, 04:15:22 PM »
Does anybody have any idea where the Early Modern idea that chameleons live on nothing but air came from?

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #28662 on: May 24, 2018, 05:37:31 PM »
That's just a legend ~ they live on wombock wings ```

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28663 on: May 24, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
Does anybody have any idea where the Early Modern idea that chameleons live on nothing but air came from?
Maybe it was just some basic trolling, such as that good old story that Marilyn Manson got his own ribs removed.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:48:57 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28664 on: May 24, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »
By the pricking of mine thumbs, of a surety that is fake news!