Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 7109467 times)

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • St. Joseph of Petrograd pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28575 on: May 19, 2018, 12:41:57 PM »
Have The Young Turks always hated Christianity? Because this video is cancer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j6xt_K_Q9AM
IC XC
NI KA

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #28576 on: May 19, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
Congratulations to Volnutt for 11,000 posts.

Ah, dangit. I didn't even notice. I should have "celebrated" somehow.

Thanks, though!

I guess 11,000 isn't usually seen as a milestone, as opposed to 15,000 or 20,000. Unless every 1,000 is a milestone, to each their own I guess. For me, 100 posts is a milestone.  ;D

You don't wanna be high like me.

A good 75% (at least) of my posts have been nothing but wasted time that I'll answer for on Judgment Day.

I suppose you can use the, "Imagine what sins I could have been doing instead!" argument.

It's easy if you tryyyy.

Nah, it doesn't fit the melody or meter.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:44:14 PM by Volnutt »
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28577 on: May 19, 2018, 02:01:58 PM »

I don't really see that as hateful, per se. Just liberal and atheistic (I kind of wish the Episcopal woman had gotten a little more chance to speak, I'm mostly talking about the two guys). I can imagine a bunch of Christians talking about Islamic issues in similarly dismissive tones.

I'm not so much offended by the content or tone of their opinions as I am by their desire to, er hem, pontificate on historical issues that they clearly have barely any knowledge of. It was like the audio version of r/atheism.

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28578 on: May 19, 2018, 03:15:40 PM »
This article isn't very well written imo, but it the description of the theories was interesting (and amusing to a mental 5 year-old like me).

My intuition tells me that the truth is a combination of 1, 2, 4, and 5 maybe with some other factors.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28579 on: May 19, 2018, 04:53:45 PM »
Ok, 86 degrees and 80% humidity while plodding along  behind a noisy machine doesn't cheer me up quite as much, but it's better than freezing.   :laugh:
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28580 on: May 19, 2018, 05:02:12 PM »
OK, it seems I accidentally helped to break a marriage... They were already breaking up on-and-off, but it seems the groom freaked out after he scolded me for stupid reasons (politics), boasted to his wife and she didn't support him.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28581 on: May 19, 2018, 05:06:30 PM »
OK, it seems I accidentally helped to break a marriage... They were already breaking up on-and-off, but it seems the groom freaked out after he scolded me for stupid reasons (politics), boasted to his wife and she didn't support him.

How is that your fault? Sounds like it's mostly him being an impulsive idiot.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28582 on: May 19, 2018, 05:07:26 PM »
Ok, 86 degrees and 80% humidity while plodding along  behind a noisy machine doesn't cheer me up quite as much, but it's better than freezing.   :laugh:

Reminds me of childhood vacations to see my grandparents in coastal Texas!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:07:38 PM by Volnutt »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28583 on: May 19, 2018, 05:12:25 PM »
LoL (removed - Mor) how is anybody supposed to understand - Formed without things that exist? -

Edited to remove veiled profanity.  Mor Ephrem, section moderator.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:41:27 AM by Mor Ephrem »
Learn meditation.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28584 on: May 19, 2018, 05:16:11 PM »
LoL (removed - Mor) how is anybody supposed to understand - Formed without things that exist? -

Creation ex nihilo? I'm not sure it's possible to understand- I've heard some theologians argue that God created out of His own spiritual substance, but that seems to hue towards pantheism to me.

But by the same measure, the existence of God seems impossible to understand.

Edited to remove veiled profanity from quote.  Mor Ephrem, section moderator.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:07:42 AM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28585 on: May 19, 2018, 05:51:53 PM »
Lord, have mercy.

I thought Texas was even hotter than here.  :o  And I was wrong about the humidity; 80% is tonight.  Oops!  Right now it's 48%.   :-[ :-X
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28586 on: May 19, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »
How is that your fault? Sounds like it's mostly him being an impulsive idiot.
Not my fault at all, that's why I said accidentally. :P Since the guy is that impulsive, someone or something else would have pivotted this major fight, but it just happened to be me.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28587 on: May 19, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
Ah, ok.

Well, don't beat yourself up over it, if you are at all.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28588 on: May 19, 2018, 06:09:12 PM »
Umm... I just got an ad for this...

"What if we took the Shinigami Eyes from Death Note and made it incredibly petty and stupid?!"

Offline BrotherInChrist

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church
« Reply #28589 on: May 19, 2018, 10:24:54 PM »

The Young Turks itself is degeneracy. But yeah, I'm pretty sure their hatred of Christianity is longstanding.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28590 on: May 19, 2018, 10:30:47 PM »

Creation ex nihilo? I'm not sure it's possible to understand- I've heard some theologians argue that God created out of His own spiritual substance, but that seems to hue towards pantheism to me.

The former things which did not exist? ...

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:11:19 AM by Mor Ephrem »
Learn meditation.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28591 on: May 19, 2018, 11:09:14 PM »

They always existed in the mind of God, inasmuch as He thought them up and is not bound by our linear notions of time, they didn't exist concretely until God gave them being. What's the problem with that?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:13:04 AM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28592 on: May 20, 2018, 02:26:28 AM »
So, apparently the live action Woody Woodpecker movie was developed solely to please Brazil.

Well, are you grateful? ARE YOU??? LOOK WHAT YOU DID!

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28593 on: May 20, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »
So it looks like for the international program that is part of graduate school, I'll be going to Germany.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28594 on: May 20, 2018, 01:52:11 PM »
So, apparently the live action Woody Woodpecker movie was developed solely to please Brazil.

It didn't work, FWIW.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28595 on: May 20, 2018, 03:11:12 PM »
Lord, have mercy.

I thought Texas was even hotter than here.  :o  And I was wrong about the humidity; 80% is tonight.  Oops!  Right now it's 48%.   :-[ :-X

Yea, Texas gets pretty hot in the summer.
Learn meditation.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28596 on: May 20, 2018, 03:12:15 PM »

They always existed in the mind of God, inasmuch as He thought them up and is not bound by our linear notions of time, they didn't exist concretely until God gave them being. What's the problem with that?

More like an expansive nothing . . .

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:13:55 AM by Mor Ephrem »
Learn meditation.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28597 on: May 20, 2018, 03:13:02 PM »
So it looks like for the international program that is part of graduate school, I'll be going to Germany.

Ich bin so eifersuechtig!

What part, if you're comfortable revealing that?

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #28598 on: May 20, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »

Very nice. I recommend the South - forget about the North. ;-)
una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28599 on: May 20, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »

This time of year it's about the same. Port Lavaca, my dad's hometown, is 86 and 61% as of right now. It'll probably get into the 90s in a few months.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28600 on: May 20, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »

Yeah, my German prof told me to do Munich if I can only go to one place.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28601 on: May 20, 2018, 03:21:24 PM »

It didn't work, FWIW.

Well, that's good. It seems like in this country, the stereotype is all of Brazil=Rio at Carnivale, so I'm not too surprised such an uninspired movie didn't do well.

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
« Reply #28602 on: May 20, 2018, 03:21:54 PM »

Indeed, I can recommend Munich - that is the place where I am living. Ever so slightly biased...
una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28603 on: May 20, 2018, 03:23:49 PM »
LoL (removed - Mor)how is anybody supposed to understand - Formed without things that exist? -

More like an expansive nothing . . .

Not sure I get your meaning, sorry. We can start a split-off thread if you want.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:14:53 AM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28604 on: May 20, 2018, 03:25:54 PM »

Indeed, I can recommend Munich - that is the place where I am living. Ever so slightly biased...

What are the best things to see there?

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
« Reply #28605 on: May 20, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »
Well, what any travel guide will tell you. My favorites:

- Deutsches Museum: largest science museum in the world, don't miss it. You can spend days there, never looking at the same thing twice
- city center (of course): Marienplatz, Frauenkirche
- Bavarian beer and food, e.g. Schweinebraten (roasted pork)
- Pinakotheken (art museum, with many famous paintings)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28606 on: May 20, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »
Thanks.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28607 on: May 20, 2018, 05:03:58 PM »
LOL, I was interacting with a guy in Wikipedia for ages swearing it was juliogb until we finally realised it was all a big mistake. The Wikipedia guy was also very confused, since I always talked to him as if I already knew him from elsewhere.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28608 on: May 20, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »
I've fallen down a bit of a rabbithole re: my long forgotten desire to become a ventriloquist and I've found this while looking around Amazon

I guess it's the RL Stine cinematic universe?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:11:04 PM by Volnutt »

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28609 on: May 20, 2018, 09:26:58 PM »

Berlin, namely the Hertie School of Governance.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28610 on: May 20, 2018, 09:29:25 PM »
Nice. I'd love to spend a couple of days just checking out all the museums of Berlin.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:30:20 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Dark Night of the Soul.
« Reply #28611 on: May 21, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »
I've fallen down a bit of a rabbithole re: my long forgotten desire to become a ventriloquist...

There's a local minister here who is a ventriloquist. It must have been a terrifying appointment for his congregation when they first found out.

Fortunately for them, he's fairly traditional for his communion.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

All hail and agree with AGABUS! the God of this website.

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #28612 on: May 21, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »
Today I learned that the East Timorese politician and erstwhile guerilla leader Xanana Gusmao actually named himself after the awful band Sha Na Na.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #28613 on: May 21, 2018, 12:42:11 PM »
Lord, have mercy.

Yea, Texas gets pretty hot in the summer.
You should come down to Florida.
IC XC
NI KA

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #28614 on: May 21, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »

Translation, please.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
« Reply #28615 on: May 21, 2018, 01:55:04 PM »

Translation, please.
It means: "I am so jealous!"

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28616 on: May 21, 2018, 02:52:25 PM »
I like the 24 hour clock. I also like Celsius degrees. I wish we used both of those more here in America.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28617 on: May 21, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »

Translation, please.

Sorry, just saw this.

Thanks, Lepanto.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #28618 on: May 21, 2018, 03:14:03 PM »
I’ve arrived in Honolulu.
IC XC
NI KA

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28619 on: May 21, 2018, 03:34:07 PM »
I’ve arrived in Honolulu.

Laki no laila, lili! (I'm so jealous in Hawaiian, at least according to Google).

Wait, volcanoes... maybe I'm not so jealous. Be careful, man.