Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 6929903 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28260 on: April 23, 2018, 02:39:26 PM »
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Dark Night of the Soul.
« Reply #28261 on: April 23, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »
No worries. In a few years she will be Queen, and none of this will matter.

Queen Consort, no? Or have they dropped that nonsense since the monarchy is a paper tiger anyway?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

All hail and agree with AGABUS! the God of this website.

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #28262 on: April 23, 2018, 03:22:50 PM »
No worries. In a few years she will be Queen, and none of this will matter.

Queen Consort, no? Or have they dropped that nonsense since the monarchy is a paper tiger anyway?

I don't think anyone makes the queen regnant/consort distinction except historians, and those decades or centuries after the fact. If the crowned head is male, we have a king and queen; if female, we have a queen and prince consort, but 'prince/ss' is a blood designation, not an official title, that's why even Prince Philip in his official capacity was always, and only, Duke of Edinburgh.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #28263 on: April 23, 2018, 11:36:01 PM »
I really like floppy cloth bookmarks like the ones that come attached to some books. I've been using an old, limp dollar bill to get a similar effect, but it seems somehow wrong to use that in sacred literature. Does anybody know of a kind of bookmark with a similar consistency?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:37:21 PM by Volnutt »
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #28264 on: April 23, 2018, 11:53:20 PM »
You can find these all over in Greece, and in some parish/monastery bookstores here in America:

https://www.easterngiftshop.com/Category/Bookmarks

I love using the couple that I have for books that are too sacrosanct (e.g. the Bible) for the scraps of paper and other odds and ends I use as markers.  :P
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:54:35 PM by Antonis »
How has Antonis not become an Old Calendarist yet?
I thought he had, a few posts ago.

"I hate the poor." --Mor Ephrem

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28265 on: April 24, 2018, 12:05:55 AM »
You can find these all over in Greece, and in some parish/monastery bookstores here in America:

https://www.easterngiftshop.com/Category/Bookmarks

I love using the couple that I have for books that are too sacrosanct (e.g. the Bible) for the scraps of paper and other odds and ends I use as markers.  :P

Thanks!

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Dark Night of the Soul.
« Reply #28266 on: April 24, 2018, 10:37:00 AM »
I really like floppy cloth bookmarks like the ones that come attached to some books. I've been using an old, limp dollar bill to get a similar effect, but it seems somehow wrong to use that in sacred literature. Does anybody know of a kind of bookmark with a similar consistency?

Old 4-H ribbons work well.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

All hail and agree with AGABUS! the God of this website.

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28267 on: April 24, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »

Old 4-H ribbons work well.

Makes sense. I'm a lifelong city boy though, personally.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28268 on: April 24, 2018, 01:28:56 PM »
Tfw when your McDonald's shake is more top-heavy than you expected and goes tumbling off your tray and splat on the ground (3 feet away from the nice girl who you just passed of course), and you try to clean it up with napkins but it's no good, and you just want to crawl under a rock and go to sleep forever but the worker keeps asking "are you sure you don't want a replacement?" and won't take " no" for an answer. Thanks for the humility-building experience, God!  :P 8) :-[
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28269 on: April 24, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
Maybe the lady you passed found it hilariously cute in a Cary Grant-ish fashion?

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28270 on: April 24, 2018, 01:34:40 PM »
Wake up in the mornin feelin like... I'm dying due to a combination of sleeping bruxism and mild-severe tooth decay.

It's been about seven or eight hours. Might as well stay up.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:35:27 PM by Volnutt »

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28271 on: April 24, 2018, 01:38:55 PM »
Just got a Harley-Davidson ad on YouTube (sorry, Asteriktos?) Their new hashtag is kind of... dystopian? #freedommachine

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28272 on: April 25, 2018, 03:41:15 PM »
I wonder if the developer of "Piccled Ricc" (an unauthorized Rick and Morty fan game that got kicked off of Steam) calls himself Berdyev as a (misspelled) reference to the philosopher.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28273 on: April 25, 2018, 03:41:49 PM »
Apparently he's still making a fuss about it, trying to troll people's streams and stuff.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28274 on: April 25, 2018, 04:12:38 PM »
What's the background on that? Haven't heard of it...
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28275 on: April 25, 2018, 04:26:47 PM »
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:29:01 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28276 on: April 25, 2018, 04:35:54 PM »
Huh, thanks  :police:
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28277 on: April 25, 2018, 04:52:01 PM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28278 on: April 26, 2018, 04:00:06 AM »
Great Lakes of North America (combined)
Surface area = 94,250 sq mi.
Water volume = 5,439 cu mi.

Black Sea
Surface area = 168,500 sq mi.
Water volume = 131,200 cu mi.

That's deep, man.
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28279 on: April 26, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »
Great Lakes of North America (combined)
Surface area = 94,250 sq mi.
Water volume = 5,439 cu mi.

Black Sea
Surface area = 168,500 sq mi.
Water volume = 131,200 cu mi.

That's deep, man.

Lake Baikal alone is about a fourth of the world's fresh water IIRC.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #28280 on: April 26, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »
Lake Baikal is the largest freshwater lake by volume in the world, containing 22–23% of the world's fresh surface water.[3][5][6] With 23,615.39 km3 (5,670 cu mi) of fresh water,[1] it contains more water than the North American Great Lakes combined.[7] With a maximum depth of 1,642 m (5,387 ft),[1] Baikal is the world's deepest lake.[8] It is considered among the world's clearest[9] lakes and is considered the world's oldest lake[10] – at 25–30 million years.[11][12] It is the seventh-largest lake in the world by surface area.

from our happy friends at Wikipedia
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28281 on: April 26, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »
Belgian gaming commission rules that (a lot of) lootboxes are gambling. And given that Brussels is the capital of the EU...

Hopefully this means the end of lootboxes. Though more likely just a change in the way they work.

As an aside, I was amused by the head of the commission suggesting this could mean prison time and the image it brought to my mind of Gabe Newell rotting in a Belgian jail over freaking CSGO skins lol.

Language warning on videos.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:21:08 PM by Volnutt »

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28282 on: April 26, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »
Lake Baikal is the largest freshwater lake by volume in the world, containing 22–23% of the world's fresh surface water.[3][5][6] With 23,615.39 km3 (5,670 cu mi) of fresh water,[1] it contains more water than the North American Great Lakes combined.[7] With a maximum depth of 1,642 m (5,387 ft),[1] Baikal is the world's deepest lake.[8] It is considered among the world's clearest[9] lakes and is considered the world's oldest lake[10] – at 25–30 million years.[11][12] It is the seventh-largest lake in the world by surface area.

Oh, guess I was way off. Thanks.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #28283 on: April 26, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »

Thank you for the invitation down that rabbit hole.  A few google and wiki searches later and I've seen some beautiful photos of the area there!
How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28284 on: April 26, 2018, 12:46:32 PM »

Thank you for the invitation down that rabbit hole.  A few google and wiki searches later and I've seen some beautiful photos of the area there!

I'd love to see that part of Russia, yeah.

Or any part of Russia, really.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28285 on: April 26, 2018, 03:16:49 PM »
"Your piety, nursling of God's love, longs, I am sure, for my society." - Theodoret of Cyrus, Letter 24

This may be how I open every correspondence from now on  :P
get rekt, nerd

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #28286 on: April 26, 2018, 03:23:48 PM »
"Your piety, nursling of God's love, longs, I am sure, for my society." - Theodoret of Cyrus, Letter 24

This may be how I open every correspondence from now on  :P

+ 1
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28287 on: April 26, 2018, 05:15:37 PM »
Current trending words on the Eymology Dictionary homepage:

motel, religion, man, etymology, com-

What would Stanley Fish say?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28288 on: April 26, 2018, 09:04:43 PM »
Does anyone who edits wikipedia want to correct this?

"By late antiquity the Cappadocian Greeks had largely converted to Christianity.[27] They were so thoroughly devout to Christianity that by the 1st century AD, the region of Cappadocia served as a stronghold for Christian Monasticism[28] and was of significance importance in the history of early Christianity.[27]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocian_Greeks

Just figured I'd bring it up.
get rekt, nerd

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28289 on: April 27, 2018, 12:08:46 AM »
Does anyone who edits wikipedia want to correct this?

"By late antiquity the Cappadocian Greeks had largely converted to Christianity.[27] They were so thoroughly devout to Christianity that by the 1st century AD, the region of Cappadocia served as a stronghold for Christian Monasticism[28] and was of significance importance in the history of early Christianity.[27]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocian_Greeks

Just figured I'd bring it up.
Deleting referenced info in Wikipedia is a pain in the neck, you can really have a good laugh reading about the lamest edit wars. English Wikipedia is specially boring and dull to change anything at all, while smaller projects (I'm most familiar with Portuguese, but I've done some work in Galician and Spanish) are much more dynamic and open in my experience.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28290 on: April 27, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
I'm so tired of youtube ads following the "faux-indy" route. Grainy filter to make it look like an 8mm home movie, what looks like a rustic/camping theme, American flags, vaguely Bob Seger/Bruce Springsteen-ish music...

Harley Davidson, Hollister (or American Eagle or Abercrombie?), and now Ralph Lauren. Excuse me while I puke.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28291 on: April 27, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
Rio can be a weird place, but it only gets worse in the rest of the metropolitan area. I had to pay a visit to a synagogue of Satan bank in Niterói and right now I'm drinking cane juice near some prostitutes in the most central part of the city. WTH. I mean, anywhere in the world has women in this sad "profession", but I'd never heard of such a public, central and unapologetic brothel anywhere.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28292 on: April 27, 2018, 03:55:09 PM »
Rio can be a weird place, but it only gets worse in the rest of the metropolitan area. I had to pay a visit to a synagogue of Satan bank in Niterói and right now I'm drinking cane juice near some prostitutes in the most central part of the city. WTH. I mean, anywhere in the world has women in this sad "profession", but I'd never heard of such a public, central and unapologetic brothel anywhere.

The Netherlands has lots of stuff like that, I imagine.

And a Jewish banker reference? Really? Son I am disappoint...

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28293 on: April 27, 2018, 04:17:44 PM »
It was more a Revelation of St. John reference than anything. Most of our bankers are regular Luso-Brazilians, which is funny for a country with such a large Jewish community and such a horrific problem with credit.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28294 on: April 27, 2018, 06:18:05 PM »
It was more a Revelation of St. John reference than anything. Most of our bankers are regular Luso-Brazilians, which is funny for a country with such a large Jewish community and such a horrific problem with credit.

Alright. I apologize for going off on you.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28295 on: April 27, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »
No need to apologise, I have my own Simkins moments as well. But as a sardonic part-Jew.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28296 on: April 27, 2018, 11:47:04 PM »
http://out-there-on-the-maroon.tumblr.com/post/173132411445/loveandchibis-as-a-woman-i-gotta-say-nerds-and

Yikes. I guess I'm lucky that the girl I once bought a 23 dollar book for trying to woo is at least still friends with me...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:47:36 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28297 on: April 28, 2018, 01:03:04 AM »
Yeah, self-awareness can be tough...
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28298 on: April 28, 2018, 02:03:55 AM »
Yeah, self-awareness can be tough...

Mhmm.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28299 on: April 28, 2018, 05:42:25 AM »
190 pages of a fine novel (Darkness at Noon) goes by, and then 25 pages before the end we get this:

"The scar on his shaven skull shone sweatily."

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:45:20 AM by Asteriktos »
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28300 on: April 28, 2018, 10:47:56 AM »

But the real question is- is that Boxxy or Shoe0nhead? Dun, dun, dun!

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28301 on: April 28, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »
http://www.gocomics.com/nancy/2018/04/27

I might have to do a full thread on this sometime, but suffice to say that the new cartoonist on Nancy, Olivia Jaimes, is a straight-up mad genius. She's seriously turned me into a fan of a comic strip that I hadn't given a second thought to previously (which has also led me to an appreciation for a lot of the old Ernie Bushmiller strips).

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28302 on: April 28, 2018, 12:11:42 PM »
Two containers of sherbet in our freezer. One raspberry, one orange. Same brand.

The orange is about a week newer than the raspberry and in a slightly smaller tub. More of the raspberry was scooped (about 1/4-1/3) than the orange. Those are the only differences between them AFAICT.

The power goes out for about a day, we never open the freezer in this time. The raspberry thawed, then froze again. The orange did not AFAICT.

Why?

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28303 on: April 28, 2018, 12:16:58 PM »
Positioning in the freezer?

If I put eggs on the top shelf of our fridge, they'll partially freeze, so similar idea in reverse with your freezer.  /shrug  ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:19:20 PM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28304 on: April 28, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
http://out-there-on-the-maroon.tumblr.com/post/173132411445/loveandchibis-as-a-woman-i-gotta-say-nerds-and
Ouch! Immaturity and first relationships after adulthood have those quirks. Currently one of my best friends is in a relationship with a nerdy guy I am (was?) friends with and he's jealous to the point he felt resentful that he had "let" us ride a Uber home together from a dangerous neighbourhood (where the three of us were) to another (where I and the girl were heading). I'd have LOL'd hard at this blatantly cringeworthy insecurity if it wasn't happening to the three of us lol