Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 7893316 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27765 on: December 17, 2017, 12:10:39 AM »
Can someone explain what a "monarchist anarchist" is?

It's detritus of someone's desperate casting about for understanding. Pitiable if the subject weren't so hellbent on sounding cocksure.

Confucius, that detached aristocrat, tried to reason inoffensively around the tensions of his day, the natural autarchy confronted by the growing royal cult. In the end, Chinese urban society would be made of many autarchic units, units of space and function, a grand lesson to us today if we could hear it. But Mr. Hart lacks the intellectual fortitude to absorb, much less produce, such ideas. "Monarchist anarchy" is one of the sounds of that indigestion.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27766 on: December 17, 2017, 12:49:05 AM »
I love your takedowns of DBH. I'd pay money to see you and him go at it in a debate. :laugh:

I have this feeling if you ever read DBH's NT translation and post a lengthy review on this board tearing it to shreds, that would probably be your greatest post ever. Whenever I read his NT translation I sometimes smile at his idiosyncrasies and say to myself "I wonder how Porter would react."
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #27767 on: December 17, 2017, 08:48:32 AM »
Can someone explain what a "monarchist anarchist" is?

It's detritus of someone's desperate casting about for understanding. Pitiable if the subject weren't so hellbent on sounding cocksure.

Confucius, that detached aristocrat, tried to reason inoffensively around the tensions of his day, the natural autarchy confronted by the growing royal cult. In the end, Chinese urban society would be made of many autarchic units, units of space and function, a grand lesson to us today if we could hear it. But Mr. Hart lacks the intellectual fortitude to absorb, much less produce, such ideas. "Monarchist anarchy" is one of the sounds of that indigestion.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #27768 on: December 17, 2017, 12:04:32 PM »
I love your takedowns of DBH. I'd pay money to see you and him go at it in a debate. :laugh:

I have this feeling if you ever read DBH's NT translation and post a lengthy review on this board tearing it to shreds, that would probably be your greatest post ever. Whenever I read his NT translation I sometimes smile at his idiosyncrasies and say to myself "I wonder how Porter would react."

I don't want to read it but suppose I should. In my old age I prefer to read things I love.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27769 on: December 18, 2017, 11:44:41 AM »
Those who do not co-suffer with those who live in great pain are suffering from the most fatal of spiritual illnesses ... Mercilessness.

- Saint Paisios the New, of Mt Athos
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:44:57 AM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #27770 on: December 18, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »
Those who do not co-suffer with those who live in great pain are suffering from the most fatal of spiritual illnesses ... Mercilessness.

- Saint Paisios the New, of Mt Athos

Very good.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27771 on: December 18, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
I don't want to read it but suppose I should. In my old age I prefer to read things I love.
I'm not as old as you are but I agree with that. Life's too short to be reading things you don't like or not interested in. Unless someone is giving you money to do it.

With DBH I'd imagine you'd want a hefty sum. :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:48:44 PM by RobS »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #27772 on: December 18, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »
I didn't know DBH went for anarcho-monarchism. I thought it had mainly to do with Tolkien aficionados who daydream about living in hobbit houses or something.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #27773 on: December 18, 2017, 10:00:53 PM »
Happy St Nicholas Day Tomorrow

My kids singing one of his stichera

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #27774 on: December 18, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »

Awww!  :D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #27775 on: December 18, 2017, 11:16:34 PM »

Wonderful!

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27776 on: December 19, 2017, 02:45:09 PM »
This girl I'm going on a date with lives in a house of other gay men, what's that Bible verse about going into a lion's den of sinners or something? ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:45:24 PM by RobS »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #27777 on: December 19, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
This girl I'm going on a date with lives in a house of other gay men, what's that Bible verse about going into a lion's den of sinners or something? ;D

Are you afraid they might make you gay?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #27778 on: December 20, 2017, 10:51:29 PM »
I work in a profession that is 70% female as a whole, but in a subspecialty that is probably 99.3% female. Our department was at a restaurant for a Christmas celebration, we had 19 people around a table and I was the only guy.  A stranger walked up to me asked me what aftershave I used. I didn't get it at first then, then he said, well... you've got all these women sitting at the table with you, I'd like to know your secret.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27779 on: December 21, 2017, 01:37:03 AM »
Two guys from my main study group are a gay couple, but they're as non stereotypical as it can get.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #27780 on: December 21, 2017, 02:55:57 AM »
Even New York Times knows that Santa lives in Finland.

Santa in Finland, Where Marketing Triumphs Over Geography
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 02:57:08 AM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #27781 on: December 22, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
As of today, I've been on OC.net for 5 years.

Feels like forever, it does.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #27782 on: December 22, 2017, 11:12:02 AM »
I work in a profession that is 70% female as a whole, but in a subspecialty that is probably 99.3% female. Our department was at a restaurant for a Christmas celebration, we had 19 people around a table and I was the only guy.  A stranger walked up to me asked me what aftershave I used. I didn't get it at first then, then he said, well... you've got all these women sitting at the table with you, I'd like to know your secret.

The answer is, “Do you have a moment to talk about the Book of Mormon?”
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #27783 on: December 22, 2017, 11:30:13 AM »

The answer is, “Do you have a moment to talk about the Book of Mormon?”

;D

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27784 on: December 25, 2017, 04:29:20 AM »
I'm trying to reagitate a couple of guys who were into an old project of making a Portuguese language version of Death to the World. One of them even got permission from the original magazine, it seems. I believe all we need is proper organisation and at least one canonical Eastern Orthodox priest who might review our work. These are both hard things that we'd need God to grant, but I believe the rest is easy, we have enough manpower and material for this to happen. Most of it would be translation. The working title was/is Morto para o Mundo, which means "Dead for the World".
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #27785 on: December 29, 2017, 12:50:31 AM »
We’re baaaack...
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27786 on: December 29, 2017, 01:06:47 AM »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #27787 on: December 29, 2017, 02:00:16 AM »
We're back. Thanks to whomever fixed the board.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #27788 on: December 29, 2017, 02:30:44 AM »
Well this could have turned out interesting.

Researcher: US Planned "New Finland" for Refugees in Alaska
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/researcher_us_planned_new_finland_for_refugees_in_alaska/5656866

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27789 on: December 29, 2017, 02:43:04 AM »
Were we on hibernation or something?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #27790 on: December 29, 2017, 02:46:23 AM »

There were database errors which made it impossible to post for a few days.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27791 on: December 29, 2017, 02:51:21 AM »
I thought Mor was sleeping. Since we're all his emanations, this would mean silence.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27792 on: December 29, 2017, 03:37:24 AM »
I thought Mor was sleeping. Since we're all his emanations, this would mean silence.

When the thunderer peals in posts of glory, do we not acknowledge the thunderer? And when all sound ceases, what is left to do but cease ourselves? Selah.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27793 on: December 29, 2017, 04:32:50 AM »
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

Selam.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #27794 on: December 29, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »

There was a way to remind the old good times when festal days in the (old) Orthodox countries were spent with family, people were singing carols and dressing up as devils, goats, bears etc. and in exchange were getting some Christmas cookies and some festal vodka/wine (that was a very good way to not get cold in winter) instead of sitting in front of computer.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #27795 on: December 29, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »
Birds are trying to nest in our door wreath.   :D

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #27796 on: December 29, 2017, 01:10:39 PM »

Aww, how cute! :)

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #27797 on: December 29, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »

Selam.
Bland environmentalist ideas are unconsciously yet fervently considered by the American public?

The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27798 on: December 29, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »

Selam.
Bland environmentalist ideas are unconsciously yet fervently considered by the American public?
That's a way to go...

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #27799 on: December 29, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »

I know!  Pictures aren't working out, sadly.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #27800 on: December 29, 2017, 03:16:23 PM »

Hope you are able to post them later. Thanks.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27801 on: December 29, 2017, 06:13:25 PM »

+1

+1
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Ray1

• Faith: Roman Catholic.
  • Jurisdiction: The True North strong and free!
« Reply #27802 on: December 29, 2017, 08:52:17 PM »
We’re baaaack...

Oh good, so it wasn't the rapture, was getting worried.  ;)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #27803 on: December 30, 2017, 04:10:52 AM »

There was a way to remind the old good times when festal days in the (old) Orthodox countries were spent with family, people were singing carols and dressing up as devils, goats, bears etc. and in exchange were getting some Christmas cookies and some festal vodka/wine (that was a very good way to not get cold in winter) instead of sitting in front of computer.

Krampusnacht!
https://youtu.be/UjO9zxKahJU

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27804 on: December 30, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »

Krampusnacht!

Wow, that's strongk!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #27805 on: December 30, 2017, 10:09:03 AM »

Krampusnacht!

Wow, that's strongk!

Fun fact: Finnish Santa Claus used to look somewhat like Krampus before it got Coca-Cola-ized. Back in the old days Santa Claus wore fur, horns, birch mask and went from house  to house to drink their alcohol and scare children.

I wish he was still like that.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27806 on: December 30, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »

Krampusnacht!

Wow, that's strongk!

Fun fact: Finnish Santa Claus used to look somewhat like Krampus before it got Coca-Cola-ized. Back in the old days Santa Claus wore fur, horns, birch mask and went from house  to house to drink their alcohol and scare children.

I wish he was still like that.

That's interesting, thank you for this info!
Anyway, still, Finnish Santa looks more.. let's say, cold, scarrying than the one from Coca-Cola adverts.

Anyway, being an Arabophile, I like the idea of getting gifts on Christmas from the youngest (or any) camel of the Magis ;) It's so sweet :)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #27807 on: December 30, 2017, 10:38:11 PM »

+1

+1

I'll try!  I was hoping they'd come back today so I could ninja a shot from around the side of the house.  The ones I took from inside just aren't very good.

ETA: lol I didn't know if it would attach.  Here's a consolation prize for the meantime: a baby Mockingbird.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:47:25 PM by Ainnir »

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #27808 on: December 30, 2017, 11:02:20 PM »
Random test post for testing purposes :)
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27809 on: December 31, 2017, 12:02:25 AM »
Random test post for testing purposes :)
Heeey, we miss you.