Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5893303 times)

augustin717 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27540 on: October 16, 2017, 11:55:07 AM »
Thank you.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27541 on: October 16, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
“He who sings prays twice.” —unknown
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #27542 on: October 16, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »
My Mom came to liturgy today, to hear me sing in the choir. I was so proud!

Nice...how's it going so far?

The robe's a bit sweaty, and I wound up on the wrong page in the music book a couple times. Other than that, not bad. :)

I'm so glad to hear your mother came to hear you sing!  I am glad to hear you are enjoying the choir...even if they make you wear robes. 
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #27543 on: October 16, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »
Furat day in The fatherland in a suffocating train, someone tries to open a window only to be sternly rebuffed by an old woman: "Shut it back, don't you feel how strong the draft is"
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #27544 on: October 16, 2017, 09:02:20 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo#Development_and_character_profile

Peter Falk's Columbo always reminded me Porfiry Petrovich of Crime and Punishment, now wikipedia confirmed my hunch.  Supposedly he is influenced by Father Brown (of the Father Brown stories) as well, which makes sense.  I always thought if you could translate a Dostoevsky novel into a good movie it would either be Crime and Punishment or Demons.  The Crime and Punishment largely would translate because of the Porfiry Petrovich character, who sadly could not be portrayed by the great Peter Falk anymore...maybe he was such a perfect choice"for an American language Crime and Punishment no attempts ought be made to make that movie for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:04:25 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27545 on: October 18, 2017, 02:59:50 AM »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27546 on: October 18, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »
I want to make a Morpheus meme that says, "What if I told you memeing is virtue signaling?"
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27547 on: October 18, 2017, 08:19:15 PM »
The moderated forums are now in alphabetical order, but the general and foreign language forums are not. What is the significance of this? The world needs answers...

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #27548 on: October 19, 2017, 06:30:04 AM »

!! Waiting for edition with Nestorius and... Set with st. Nicholas and Arius.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #27549 on: October 19, 2017, 06:38:14 AM »
Yesterday I was sitting on a table in the corridor of the Christian Theological Academy, reading my work in Arabic and waiting for the lesso of History of the Church. I noticed that there was passing a man wearing a cassock, but it's not so strange in this place ;) so I continued checking my essay. But I heard I welcome you, miss Dominika! (in Polish we use politle forms; well, some priests use the form "you", toward me). I wanted to reply by "Good morning" or "Glory be to Jesus Christ", but I noticed that's.. Archbishop George.

So I jumped from the table, half of my papers and a notebok landed on the floor, so I said I'm sorry, the archbishop said No, that's me saying sorry. I kissed his hand, or in fact, not enterly, because I'd used lipstick :P And he asked me smiling So, how are you? Everything is fine? I replied Yes, everything is OK, and he said in Church Slavonic So, glory be to God, glory be to God!.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #27550 on: October 19, 2017, 07:46:50 AM »
Hey Asteriktos, I didn't want to post this in your Modern Fathers quotes thread, but can you help me find the writing of Fr. Schmemann where he says "Academic theology is false." I want to understand what he means in its context. Maybe it was a spoken off the cuff remark. Thanks.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27551 on: October 19, 2017, 12:18:15 PM »
I've just made my first successful attempt of ice cream texture after years (interruptly) trying, and it was completely random. I gave up on the traditional recipes and instead just grinded calf's foot jelly, milk cream and corn starch together, heated the mix and repeatedly freezed and regrinded it.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27552 on: October 19, 2017, 12:36:40 PM »
The moderated forums are now in alphabetical order, but the general and foreign language forums are not. What is the significance of this? The world needs answers...

Some invisible stuff the admin team is working on. The alphabetizing was a byproduct.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:37:02 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #27553 on: October 19, 2017, 02:32:38 PM »
I in should go to sauna more often. You wouldn't believe how being naked in a 100°C (212°F) hot sweaty room cures all your problems.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27554 on: October 19, 2017, 05:55:59 PM »
I in should go to sauna more often. You wouldn't believe how being naked in a 100°C (212°F) hot sweaty room cures all your problems.
There's only one kind of sauna where men can be naked here...
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #27555 on: October 19, 2017, 08:36:28 PM »
I haven't been to a sauna in a while.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #27556 on: October 20, 2017, 12:06:24 AM »

The gay kind? I heard that "Finnish sauna" is an euphemism to gay club in Croatia. I wonder how many tourists have ended there with out realizing it.

Hasten therefore to do the work of God.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:07:28 AM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27557 on: October 20, 2017, 12:42:18 AM »

Some invisible stuff the admin team is working on. The alphabetizing was a byproduct.

Well I didn't actually expect a response  :laugh: Thanks though!

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27558 on: October 20, 2017, 12:57:10 AM »
Hey Asteriktos, I didn't want to post this in your Modern Fathers quotes thread, but can you help me find the writing of Fr. Schmemann where he says "Academic theology is false." I want to understand what he means in its context. Maybe it was a spoken off the cuff remark. Thanks.

I couldn't find a document with that exact phrase--except on a couple dozen sites which only list quotes without giving sources.
I did find this though, fwiw:

But to achieve this, we must give some thought to that which, at least in my opinion, constitutes the basic defect of our theology: its almost total divorce from the real life of the Church and from her practical needs. By his very upbringing and training, the theologian is used to looking at everything "practical" as virtually opposed to theology and its lofty pursuits, and this attitude has been adopted for so many centuries that it is almost taken for granted. Since the breakdown of the patristic age, our theology (and not without Western influence) has become exclusively "academic" -- "scholastic" in the literal sense of the word. It is confined to a narrow circle of professional intellectuals, writing and working, in fact, for each other (who else reads theology, or, even if he wished to, is capable of reading its highly professional and esoteric language?) and, as time goes by, more and more anxious to satisfy and please their peers in other academic disciplines, rather than the less and less theologically-minded Church.

They are reconciled to the supreme indifference of the Church at large to their work because, in their unshakable self-righteousness, they put the blame on the anti-intellectualism of the clergy and laity. What they do not seem to realize, however, is that this "anti-intellectualism" is in a way a direct result of their own exclusive "intellectualism," of their quasi-manichean contempt for the "practical" needs of the Church, for their reduction of theology to a harmless intellectual game of "interesting points of view" and scientifically impeccable footnotes. And the sad irony of the situation is that, ignored by the Church, they are not truly accepted by the so-called "intellectual community" either, for which, in spite of all their efforts ad captatiam benevolentiae, they remain non-objective and non-scientific "mystics." And as long as such is the state and the inner orientation of our theology, the hope that it will fulfill its pastoral function and respond to the crying needs of our situation is, of course, vain.

But it is at this point, maybe, that we can turn our eyes to those whom we always claim to be our examples and teachers, the Holy Fathers of the Church, and look a little deeper into their understanding of theological task. Most certainly they were not less intellectual. And yet, there is one decisive difference between them and the modern theological scholars. To all of them that which we call "practical" and virtually exclude from our academic concerns meant nothing else but the unique and indeed very practical concern of Christianity: the eternal salvation of man. Words and ideas were for them directly related not simply to Truth and Error, but to the Truth that saves and to the error that brings with it death and damnation.

And it is their constant, truly "existential" preoccupation with, and their total commitment to, salvation of real, concrete men that makes every line they wrote so ultimately serious and their theology so vital and so precisely pastoral. Intellectual as it is, their theology is always addressed not to "intellectuals," but to the whole Church, in the firm belief that everyone in the Church has received the Spirit of Truth and was made a "theologian" -- i.e., a man concerned with God. And the lasting truth of their theology is that in it ideas are always referred to the "practical" needs of the Church, revealed in their soteriological significance, whereas the most "practical" aspects of the Church are rooted in their ultimate theological implications.

-- The Task of Orthodox Theology in America Today

The closest to the phrase comes near the end of it: "It must be admitted that much too often our official "academic" theology has failed to accept this "obedience" and preferred quiet complacency."

Perhaps someone more familiar with Fr. Alexander knows of an exact location (or can at least confirm that it exists somewhere)...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:59:03 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #27559 on: October 20, 2017, 06:02:46 PM »

The gay kind? I heard that "Finnish sauna" is an euphemism to gay club in Croatia. I wonder how many tourists have ended there with out realizing it.

Hasten therefore to do the work of God.

I've been to Korean saunas and they're great.  Nudity, no gayness.  Even has a cafe where you can get beer.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #27560 on: October 20, 2017, 06:03:25 PM »
Well, clothing is required in the cafe area.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:13:39 PM by hecma925 »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27561 on: October 21, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
If you need a new mattress, the best deals are at Levin's.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27562 on: October 22, 2017, 04:12:54 PM »
You guys look like a couple of jabronis on meatfare Sunday.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #27563 on: October 22, 2017, 08:57:15 PM »
Still you feed us lies from the tablecloth.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27564 on: October 23, 2017, 10:34:09 AM »
Is Leontius and Leonidas the same name?  Like James and Jacob?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #27565 on: October 23, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
I've been to Korean saunas and they're great.  Nudity, no gayness.  Even has a cafe where you can get beer.

Paradise on Earth.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27566 on: October 23, 2017, 08:36:32 PM »
It seems Leontius is "as a lion", while Leonidas is "son of a lion".

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #27567 on: October 23, 2017, 08:40:01 PM »

Paradise on Earth.

The best part?  You don't have to talk to anyone.  I know that makes you Finns all hot and bothered.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27568 on: October 23, 2017, 09:02:09 PM »

I thought they were different names, but I stumbled upon this from the OCA:

https://oca.org/saints/lives?q=LEONTIUS

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #27569 on: October 24, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »

Paradise on Earth.

The best part?  You don't have to talk to anyone.  I know that makes you Finns all hot and bothered.

If I ever move abroad I move to Korea. Preferably South but North will do too if they have saunas where I can go to drink beer and be quiet.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #27570 on: October 24, 2017, 12:28:52 AM »
Jacob and James are different names. Where did you get that they're the same names?
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27571 on: October 24, 2017, 01:27:14 AM »

I thought they were different names, but I stumbled upon this from the OCA:

https://oca.org/saints/lives?q=LEONTIUS
ISTM to be search engine approximation

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27572 on: October 24, 2017, 03:19:29 AM »
Jacob and James are different names. Where did you get that they're the same names?

I can bet all the alcohol you have or seek to have for the rest of your life they're the same name.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #27573 on: October 24, 2017, 05:35:12 AM »

I can bet all the alcohol you have or seek to have for the rest of your life they're the same name.

Then mcarmichael will be swimming in the stuff. The names are NOT the same. They only share the root Leo-. Your assertion is like saying John is the same name as Jonathan. They are not.

Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27574 on: October 24, 2017, 05:43:47 AM »

Then mcarmichael will be swimming in the stuff. The names are NOT the same. They only share the root Leo-. Your assertion is like saying John is the same name as Jonathan. They are not.

LBK, he is saying Jacob and James are different names.  I'm not talking about Leontius and Leonides anymore.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:46:23 AM by minasoliman »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27575 on: October 24, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
Portuguese diverges even more by having Tiago and Jacó as doublets of the same name. The incursion of Italian names makes some like Pietro, Pedro or Joana and Giovanna, or worse, Henrique and Enzo. Some crazy parents even mix both (I've met Petro and Jovana).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:53:50 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #27576 on: October 24, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
Portuguese diverges even more by having Tiago and Jacó as doublets of the same name. The incursion of Italian names makes some like Pietro, Pedro or Joana and Giovanna, or worse, Henrique and Enzo. Some crazy parents even mix both (I've met Petro and Jovana).

Really...you don't want to start the 'wacky brazilian first names' talk do you now? 

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27577 on: October 24, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
Really...you don't want to start the 'wacky brazilian first names' talk do you now?
Those are only first level wacky, there are many deeper layers, as you know. I'm not a great example myself, as my surname means "big shirt", but that's not my parents' fault, rather some XVI century guy who decided to be called that way.  :P

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #27578 on: October 24, 2017, 01:02:37 PM »
Those are only first level wacky, there are many deeper layers, as you know. I'm not a great example myself, as my surname means "big shirt", but that's not my parents' fault, rather some XVI century guy who decided to be called that way.  :P

indeed....I was once acquainted with a guy with the first name of Lindenberg....which is at least still a name...but it sounds very funny in most Brazilian accents...so now I always have this odd mental way of hearing the REAL name.....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27579 on: October 24, 2017, 01:06:41 PM »

LBK, he is saying Jacob and James are different names.  I'm not talking about Leontius and Leonides anymore.

+1
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #27580 on: October 24, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »

How strange. I never would have put the two together, but there is an article from The Economist (https://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2010/09/name_equivalents) that backs your claim.

All that being said, though, I don't know any Jacob's who go by James, or vice-versa. It isn't like Bob and Robert, where they can be used interchangeably.
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27581 on: October 24, 2017, 07:33:38 PM »
I wonder if in heaven St. John Chrysostom ever regrets his choice of words. "Why do they keep interpreting what I said like that? That's not at all what I meant! You'd think after all this time they'd catch on..."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #27582 on: October 24, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »
I wonder if in heaven St. John Chrysostom ever regrets his choice of words. "Why do they keep interpreting what I said like that? That's not at all what I meant! You'd think after all this time they'd catch on..."

I'm sure we'll all eat some of our words, someday.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:38:36 PM by Volnutt »
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #27583 on: October 24, 2017, 09:00:33 PM »

Paradise on Earth.

If I ever move abroad I move to Korea. Preferably South but North will do too if they have saunas where I can go to drink beer and be quiet.

They do, but you have to be part of the in-crowd, living in Pyongyang.  You are the wrong ethnicity.  Besides, don't all Finns have a sauna at their house and good beer?

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #27584 on: October 25, 2017, 10:19:26 PM »
Thanks Asteriktos for the Modern Church Fathers quotes, they resonate far greater to me than the classics...
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.