Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5712877 times)

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27315 on: August 19, 2017, 11:18:32 AM »
Never seen you in Granbury, Texas USA. >Waves!<

My best friend lived in Granbury! Her family still does. Now she lives in Michigan, so let's all take a minute and say a prayer for her.

Praying every morning

AND evening.

.... it's important.
                                             prayer.

do

you pray?

.... you've probably
NEVER

heard of it

.......                                             ....
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27316 on: August 19, 2017, 11:19:48 AM »

My best friend lived in Granbury! Her family still does. Now she lives in Michigan, so let's all take a minute and say a prayer for her.

Praying every morning

AND evening.

.... it's important.
                                             prayer.

do

you pray?

.... you've probably
NEVER

heard of it

.......                                             ....

Oooh baby...
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #27317 on: August 20, 2017, 01:53:25 AM »
That's not even a Haiku. Who is Mor Ephrem trying to impress?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:25:14 AM by mcarmichael »
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient proverb

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. Gregory Palamas, pray for me!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #27318 on: August 20, 2017, 01:35:52 PM »
Guys, I don't think I want to live to a ripe old age. Maybe up to 50 and that's it. What's the benefit of living healthy when you are gonna get old, feeble, decrepit, deal with health issues etc anyway?

I'd rather burn out early.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:36:08 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27319 on: August 20, 2017, 02:07:59 PM »
Guys, I don't think I want to live to a ripe old age. Maybe up to 50 and that's it. What's the benefit of living healthy when you are gonna get old, feeble, decrepit, deal with health issues etc anyway?

I dunno, I am (surprise!) of two minds on this. You could argue that the answer to your quest is in part answered by the question itself: by "living healthily" you can postpone getting old feeble, etc. Someone who exercises and eats right and stretches and sleeps enough will (on average) have a better quality of life and live longer than people who don't. So, you put the number at age 50, but by doing all that 'healthy living' crap maybe you could push it to 55 or 60. Supposing the life you had in your late 50s was roughly the same as those non-healthy-livers in their late 40s who were approaching your cut-off, wouldn't the extra decade be worth it? You also gotta consider that for a lot of people the 'living healthy' is about more than just wanting to get to 80 or be able to pick up a box over your head at 70. Depression, diabetes, heart disease, etc. are all things that can start becoming a problem before you even get to middle age, and can be treated (sometimes better than with medicine) with various things that fall under healthy living.

It is true though that all that stuff can be a time-sink (depending on what you do), can cost more money, and can take your focus away from stuff you'd rather spend your time/energy on. One thing about dying at 50--when you get to 49 you might suddenly decide that, hey, maybe old age wouldn't be so bad after all (especially as comfort-tech/medicine continues to improve). But if you've lived your life in a poor way (I certainly have), you may have less of a say in what happens at that point; you'll have painted yourself into a corner. Not that I think everyone should run out and exercise and measure their food and count calories or whatever. I think people should think about whatever's best for them, and then ignore yahoos who tell them they're doing it wrong. Just wanted to give a opposing viewpoint though.

--EDIT: Just to add, I think for a lot of people 'living healthy' could amount to fairly small changes in their lives: sleep an extra 30-60 minutes a night (and make sure it's good sleep, like don't drink a bunch of stuff or caffeine right before bed), eat a better lunch (maybe instead of that fast food eat a half-pint of strawberries and half turkey sandwich), stretch once a day, talk a walk a few times a week, learn how to calm yourself when you get stressed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:12:06 PM by Asteriktos »
"The bed is too short to stretch out on, the blanket too narrow to wrap around you." (Isa. 28:20)

"For because they wronged the simple, they shall be slain; and an inquisition shall ruin the ungodly." (Prov. 1:32 LXX)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #27320 on: August 20, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »
That's not even a Haiku. Who is Mor Ephrem trying to impress?

No one Japanese, anyway.
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27321 on: August 20, 2017, 07:31:31 PM »
It's times like these that I wish I played the lottery.
"The bed is too short to stretch out on, the blanket too narrow to wrap around you." (Isa. 28:20)

"For because they wronged the simple, they shall be slain; and an inquisition shall ruin the ungodly." (Prov. 1:32 LXX)

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #27322 on: August 20, 2017, 08:18:34 PM »
If anyone is mad at me or has been offended by any of my recent posts...good!  :laugh:
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #27323 on: August 20, 2017, 08:54:21 PM »

You'll burn out eventually. No need to rush it.
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #27324 on: August 20, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
If anyone is mad at me or has been offended by any of my recent posts...good!  :laugh:

Sieg Heil to the President Gasman.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27325 on: August 21, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »

Sieg Heil to the President Gasman.

Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27326 on: August 21, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
What % of OCnetters does not heed safety warnings and will be losing some eyesight today?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27327 on: August 21, 2017, 11:14:13 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm blind now and can't read your posts. I'll be posting my own thoughts at random from now on. See if anybody notices a difference.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #27328 on: August 21, 2017, 11:54:38 AM »
What % of OCnetters does not heed safety warnings and will be losing some eyesight today?

Please make this a poll!

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27329 on: August 21, 2017, 12:17:50 PM »

Please make this a poll!

I'm thinking somewhere around 65%.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27330 on: August 21, 2017, 12:19:13 PM »
I'm gonna use a mirror so I'll be ok!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27331 on: August 21, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »

;D
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27332 on: August 21, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »

;D

There actually were some idiotic young women looking in the creek this morning. Staring away at the reflection and talking about what they saw. The eclipse had barely begun.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27333 on: August 21, 2017, 02:10:19 PM »
Whenever I hear the words "Total eclipse of the sun" I automatically think of...

Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #27334 on: August 21, 2017, 10:39:17 PM »
Whenever I hear the words "Total eclipse of the sun" I automatically think of...

Meatloaf?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27335 on: August 22, 2017, 12:09:12 AM »

Totally mesmerizing.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #27336 on: August 22, 2017, 05:38:00 AM »

My husband has degenerative disc disease with partial paralysis. If he exercises regularly he feels much better. The degree to which people are feeble, decrepit, or ill in general isn't entirely outside of their control. Genetics play a role, but unless you have something that is unavoidably degenerative like Huntingtons even your genetics don't necessarily doom you to a miserable old age.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27337 on: August 22, 2017, 08:31:20 AM »

Meatloaf?

Not my style, but I get the joke.  :)

Totally mesmerizing.

I know, right?  How'd the eclipse go for you, Port?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27338 on: August 22, 2017, 11:18:09 AM »
Girls and I had a nice time, of awe, and of socializing with neighbors. My five-year-old decided it was the moon blocking the sun before I had a chance to explain. Three-year-old, on the other hand, kept saying something was taking bites out of the sun. :)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27339 on: August 22, 2017, 12:23:50 PM »
Girls and I had a nice time, of awe, and of socializing with neighbors. My five-year-old decided it was the moon blocking the sun before I had a chance to explain. Three-year-old, on the other hand, kept saying something was taking bites out of the sun. :)

Both good answers.  And the latter is at least as logical as a co-worker of mine - who I must stress is a forty-something year old woman, not a child - shying away from looking at a photograph of the eclipse on my phone lest the photo blind her.  ::)
Now accepting brief PMs.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27340 on: August 22, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »

How did I miss this?!?  So what's the place actually like?  Based on the posts of one of its most prominent citizens here, I'm picturing some surreal, Lynchian take on a small, dusty Texas town with some sinister force lurking just below the surface, replete with eccentric and perhaps dangerous locals.  Not dangerous as in they'll rob you, but dangerous as in if you touch one on the shoulder, you'll be catapulted into a bizarre and unfathomable dimension you might never find your way out of.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27341 on: August 22, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »

Both good answers.  And the latter is at least as logical as a co-worker of mine - who I must stress is a forty-something year old woman, not a child - shying away from looking at a photograph of the eclipse on my phone lest the photo blind her.  ::)

Goodness.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #27342 on: August 22, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »
Three-year-old, on the other hand, kept saying something was taking bites out of the sun. :)

I like that kids can think such things and simultaneously not be horrified. My co-worker's kid was with him at a baseball game the other day. Helicopters were hovering above and the kid expressed the straight-faced conviction that they were Decepticons preparing to lay waste to the stadium.

“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27343 on: August 22, 2017, 01:06:34 PM »
Three-year-old, on the other hand, kept saying something was taking bites out of the sun. :)

I like that kids can think such things and simultaneously not be horrified. My co-worker's kid was with him at a baseball game the other day. Helicopters were hovering above and the kid expressed the straight-faced conviction that they were Decepticons preparing to lay waste to the stadium.

Oh yeah she was totally fine with it. Anxiety such as in adults is learned behavior, altho of course some children also suffer from it.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27344 on: August 22, 2017, 01:14:21 PM »

God bless.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27345 on: August 22, 2017, 02:28:13 PM »

God bless.

Amen.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27346 on: August 22, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »
Today I learned about the dowel and tenon center set.  I also learned a handy trick for using peg board as a guide to drill your adjustable shelf pin holes.  I like it when Youtube makes my life easier.   ;D
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27347 on: August 23, 2017, 12:23:38 AM »
Joss Whedon -- :police:

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27348 on: August 23, 2017, 01:47:21 AM »
My main complaint about archaeology.org is that the articles are all way too short. Where's the beef?

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27349 on: August 23, 2017, 07:22:23 AM »
Joss Whedon -- :police:
I'm glad people are coming around to hating him.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #27350 on: August 23, 2017, 07:31:32 AM »
I admit to enjoying Buffy/ Angel. He writes funny dialogue and good characters. But it is definitely trash. Unfortunately despite him being revealed to be a horrible person people will still think he is a good artist.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27351 on: August 23, 2017, 07:51:04 AM »
I admit to enjoying Buffy/ Angel. He writes funny dialogue and good characters. But it is definitely trash. Unfortunately despite him being revealed to be a horrible person people will still think he is a good artist.
What I hate is his non-stop glib sarcastic quips that feed into each other writing style has pervaded and ruined dialogue in media IMO.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #27352 on: August 23, 2017, 08:10:31 AM »
What I hate is his non-stop glib sarcastic quips that feed into each other writing style has pervaded and ruined dialogue in media IMO.

I agree, and to add insult to injury the legions of imitators don't do it very well. All the shallowness, none of the wit.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27353 on: August 24, 2017, 08:15:03 PM »
I was getting worried.  ;)
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27354 on: August 24, 2017, 09:55:20 PM »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27355 on: August 25, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
I think Eriugena might be my favorite philosopher...

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #27356 on: August 25, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »
I need to read me some Eriugena.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27357 on: August 29, 2017, 11:07:09 PM »
I'm starting to reconsider the idea of moving to Portugal, too bad law education isn't very easily recognised abroad. If I went there early enough, though, I could continue it. Some credits could be assimilated.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27358 on: August 30, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »
I'm at OHare airport and the powerade is cheaper than a bottle of water. 5 bucks for 20oz. Gouging!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27359 on: August 30, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
I'm starting to reconsider the idea of moving to Portugal, too bad law education isn't very easily recognised abroad. If I went there early enough, though, I could continue it. Some credits could be assimilated.
Why do you want to move to Portugal?