Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5717068 times)

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27270 on: August 16, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »
I don't think it was anything on tape, but here's a video (NSFW) in which he talks about it (starting at ~2:50).

Thanks!

Don't see how you could get much joy out of any of these guys. They seem just -- evil. There have to be better comedians out there.

Who would you recommend?  One rule: no one hokey enough to play Branson.

I don't know as I don't follow comedians.

You seem to think a lot of art and entertainment is evil, Porter.  What in that vein do you like?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #27271 on: August 16, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »
Don't see how you could get much joy out of any of these guys. They seem just -- evil. There have to be better comedians out there.

the evil world according to Porter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSsUoxlSADk

or maybe this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHash5takWU

Anywho, Bill Hicks is probably one of the top 20 stand ups.  I've heard about the Leary plagiarism, but I tend to not trust artists when they say someone stole something from them.  That's a famous artist war cry.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:18:05 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27272 on: August 16, 2017, 12:18:55 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anywho, Bill Hicks is probably one of the top 20 stand ups.  I've heard about the Leary plagiarism, but I tend to not trust artists when they say someone stole something from them.  That's a famous artist war cry.

In some cases, it's true though.  In the Mencia one, it was blatant.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27273 on: August 16, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »

no doubt it's true in some cases.  The dirty secret though is that all artists steal.  Things have to be really blatant in order to say someone got whole sale ripped off at someone else profit though.  Often times someone who gets famous off a certain style is not as good as the many people who came before them.  Often artists will say something like "X was much better Y and Y gets all the glory"...this statement is generally true, but I think it's just one of the more tragic aspects of life and a case of cosmic injustice.  Lots of artists only get famous and appreciated after they die (I think Bill Hicks may be one of those cases)
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27274 on: August 16, 2017, 12:28:26 PM »
I don't think it was anything on tape, but here's a video (NSFW) in which he talks about it (starting at ~2:50).

Thanks!

Who would you recommend?  One rule: no one hokey enough to play Branson.

I don't know as I don't follow comedians.

You seem to think a lot of art and entertainment is evil, Porter.  What in that vein do you like?

If it's evil, it's evil. The human soul is very prone to infection with horror and cynicism and ego. Humans should be bringing each other real peace and joy. Bach cantatas and Bruce Timm's Superman animated series are good enough for me. ;) But to be serious, real art is not imaginative or provoking but a good job to do well -- what St. Paul calls beautiful work -- and best of all a job done together according to ancient guidelines. There is unspeakably more nourishment in working with my daughters to sing folk songs together than in any one of us consuming anything they headphones.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #27275 on: August 16, 2017, 12:33:56 PM »

or maybe this one:

Having your teeth pulled out is more enjoyable than watching 99% of comedians.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27276 on: August 16, 2017, 12:37:10 PM »
Who was (or is) the greatest comedian of the modern era?

I like political satire; so Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Bassem Youssef
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #27277 on: August 16, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »

I like political satire; so Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Bassem Youssef

Good heavens...

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27278 on: August 16, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »

or maybe this one:

It may be a peculiarly English speaking world phenomenon.  Generally speaking though, most people will only enjoy about 5% of any given genre of anything and not care about the rest.  But as most anyone who has gone to random comedy shows or amateur nights will tell you, that 1% of comdiens being good may be an over-estimation.  It's a very tough trade.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:10:02 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #27279 on: August 16, 2017, 01:13:21 PM »

or maybe this one:

It may be a peculiarly English speaking world phenomenon.  Generally speaking though, most people will only enjoy about 5% of any given genre of anything and not care about the rest.  But as most anyone who has gone to random comedy shows or amateur nights will tell you, that 1% of comdiens being good may be an over-estimation.  It's a very tough trade.

Right, any genre of entertainment with a modicum of following is going to be flooded with mediocrity (see Sturgeon's law).

What's frustrating though is when some of the worst acts also happen to become some of the most popular.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27280 on: August 16, 2017, 01:21:35 PM »

or maybe this one:

Right, any genre of entertainment with a modicum of following is going to be flooded with mediocrity (see Sturgeon's law).

What's frustrating though is when some of the worst acts also happen to become some of the most popular.

Indeed, cosmic injustice and tragedy abounds in the arts. This seems almost normative.  It stinks too that a lot of times you only get credit after you die or retire.

Though musically there seems to be a kind of Faustian twist to even the old norms:

I was joking to my old band mate the other day how there is now essentially a punk rock "Dick Clark Golden Oldies" demand right now which is so ironic.  I think the punk rock ethos generally had it right, and now that's selling out and listening to this a lot of stuff seems decontextualized and anodyne anymore (some of this comes with age, but I think some has come with cultural shifts / the internet as well)...not that I can blame any of these guys.  If someone offered me 100K to do a tour, I would.

Thinking about this I think the obvious corporate model has a lot to do with sucking the life out of things, but I think there is more to it than that as well.  General "taste making" Salon  cultures will always be with us, and the internet adds a new element to the mix for better and worse
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:26:21 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27281 on: August 16, 2017, 01:31:45 PM »
Somebody takes loud guitar noises very seriously.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27282 on: August 16, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »
Somebody takes loud guitar noises very seriously.

If you grow up trying to do something for a decade and that was your introduction and formation into things, yes you can take it seriously as it will be with you for life...you can even "talk shop" with other people with similar formations.  I was not born fully formed from Zeus' brow as Athena was.  I was not born with perfect taste or Orthodox sanctity.  You talk about folk music, but I don't think you understand how it comes about.

Anyway, I think a beer barrel needs smashing somewhere, and I think you are the right man for the job.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:37:17 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27283 on: August 16, 2017, 02:23:51 PM »

no doubt it's true in some cases.  The dirty secret though is that all artists steal.  Things have to be really blatant in order to say someone got whole sale ripped off at someone else profit though.  Often times someone who gets famous off a certain style is not as good as the many people who came before them.  Often artists will say something like "X was much better Y and Y gets all the glory"...this statement is generally true, but I think it's just one of the more tragic aspects of life and a case of cosmic injustice.  Lots of artists only get famous and appreciated after they die (I think Bill Hicks may be one of those cases)

Agreed.

If it's evil, it's evil.

That seems a little subjective though.  I mean really, Steve Martin is evil?

Bruce Timm's Superman animated series are good enough for me. ;)

His Batman stuff too dark for you?  ;)

But to be serious, real art is not imaginative or provoking but a good job to do well -- what St. Paul calls beautiful work -- and best of all a job done together according to ancient guidelines. There is unspeakably more nourishment in working with my daughters to sing folk songs together than in any one of us consuming anything they headphones.

What feeds your soul might not be what feeds someone else's though, right?  Someone else might find genuine inspiration in something you find too rough around the edges because it contained a nude scene or something.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27284 on: August 16, 2017, 02:27:31 PM »
Wow you're in a hurry to connect the dots. I said nothing about Steve Martin or nudity. I said let's call evil what is evil. A call to subjective honesty.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27285 on: August 16, 2017, 02:32:52 PM »
Wow you're in a hurry to connect the dots. I said nothing about Steve Martin or nudity. I said let's call evil what is evil. A call to subjective honesty.

Not at all.  I named a number of comedians I found funny - Dangerfield, Murphy, Martin - others added their picks, and you said, "I don't see how you can find these guys funny.  They're...evil." or something to that effect.  Am I wrong?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27286 on: August 16, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »

Not at all.  I named a number of comedians I found funny - Dangerfield, Murphy, Martin - others added their picks, and you said, "I don't see how you can find these guys funny.  They're...evil." or something to that effect.  Am I wrong?

And when Porter had ended all his  inquistions he departed from Antonious for a season
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27287 on: August 16, 2017, 03:01:10 PM »

Oh. I only saw the discussion of the contemporary guys like Hicks and C.K.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27288 on: August 16, 2017, 03:03:35 PM »

Oh. I only saw the discussion of the contemporary guys like Hicks and C.K.

It was here.

I really love Bill Hicks, though I haven't seen many comedians good or bad to compare him with.

The guy who accused Denis Leary of stealing his material, right?

I love Rodney Dangerfield, Eddie Murphy, and Steve Martin.  Each brilliant in their own right.

So, I have to know...are my guys evil?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27289 on: August 16, 2017, 03:08:40 PM »
Not in the way I meant. And I find all those guys relatively funny.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:09:09 PM by Porter ODoran »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27290 on: August 16, 2017, 03:14:28 PM »

Cool.  ;D

And the "nude scene" thing wasn't a specific charge.  I was just trying to say that your ideas concerning what makes a piece of art evil might not make sense to someone else.  How do you make that determination?  I've had negative experiences with Evangelicals and Charismatics who brand all musical genres outside of Gospel and "Praise & Worship" to be of the devil, and I don't buy into that at all, so I'd kind of like to know what criteria you're using here.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27291 on: August 16, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »
I think vulgarity tends to turn off certain people, which in a sense can be argued as evil.  There was once upon a time when comedy was good at making hints rather than be explicitly vulgar.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27292 on: August 16, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »
I think vulgarity tends to turn off certain people, which in a sense can be argued as evil.  There was once upon a time when comedy was good at making hints rather than be explicitly vulgar.

I agree to a point.  I'm just not a great fan of the great pop Christian hustle.  "All of 'the world's' products are evil.  Don't take them into your 'eye-gate' or your 'ear-gate' or you're inviting Satan into your life!  Buy our product instead!  Kirk Franklin CDs and 'The War Room' on sale now in the church lobby!"
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27293 on: August 16, 2017, 03:24:31 PM »

Cool.  ;D

And the "nude scene" thing wasn't a specific charge.  I was just trying to say that your ideas concerning what makes a piece of art evil might not make sense to someone else.  How do you make that determination?  I've had negative experiences with Evangelicals and Charismatics who brand all musical genres outside of Gospel and "Praise & Worship" to be of the devil, and I don't buy into that at all, so I'd kind of like to know what criteria you're using here.

What is good brings you growth and joy.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27294 on: August 16, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »

I agree to a point.  I'm just not a great fan of the great pop Christian hustle.  "All of 'the world's' products are evil.  Don't take them into your 'eye-gate' or your 'ear-gate' or you're inviting Satan into your life!  Buy our product instead!  Kirk Franklin CDs and 'The War Room' on sale now in the church lobby!"

Agreed!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27295 on: August 16, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »

Cool.  ;D

Agreed.  But if a work brings me growth and joy - in that it causes me to examine issues that might be troubling, but necessary to tackle - but you find the same work dark and foreboding, and perhaps even evil - where does that leave us?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27296 on: August 16, 2017, 03:33:15 PM »

Cool.  ;D

Agreed.  But if a work brings me growth and joy - in that it causes me to examine issues that might be troubling, but necessary to tackle - but you find the same work dark and foreboding, and perhaps even evil - where does that leave us?

It probably leaves us with one of us having learnt from American pop culture to extenuate his own cynicism and secret suffering by thinking of it as sophisticated, and the other having recently gotten past that same phase. But I don't know for sure.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27297 on: August 16, 2017, 03:47:15 PM »

Cool.  ;D

It probably leaves us with one of us having learnt from American pop culture to extenuate his own cynicism and secret suffering by thinking of it as sophisticated, and the other having recently gotten past that same phase. But I don't know for sure.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27298 on: August 16, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
I might be moving to El Paso, TX.

On purpose!?
El Paso is a nice little spot actually.

I'll have to take your word for it, as I always associated it with sand and unbearable heat. But then I've never been in TX, let alone El Paso, so maybe I'm basing that on TV/movies.
"The bed is too short to stretch out on, the blanket too narrow to wrap around you." (Isa. 28:20)

"For because they wronged the simple, they shall be slain; and an inquisition shall ruin the ungodly." (Prov. 1:32 LXX)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #27299 on: August 16, 2017, 04:36:59 PM »

On purpose!?

I'll have to take your word for it, as I always associated it with sand and unbearable heat.

Don't forget bewitching Mexican barmaids and the gunfights they provoke.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27300 on: August 16, 2017, 05:52:31 PM »
May God smash the teeth of Mor's enemies and put them under his feet.

Your enemies are my enemies.

The first time I really understood the power of the psalms came after a lady at my church testified that she had prayed that particular psalm and the next day her enemy fell and smashed her teeth on a curb.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27301 on: August 16, 2017, 06:01:39 PM »
May God smash the teeth of Mor's enemies and put them under his feet.

Your enemies are my enemies.

The first time I really understood the power of the psalms came after a lady at my church testified that she had prayed that particular psalm and the next day her enemy fell and smashed her teeth on a curb.

Wow! :laugh:

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27302 on: August 16, 2017, 06:04:02 PM »

On purpose!?

I'll have to take your word for it, as I always associated it with sand and unbearable heat. But then I've never been in TX, let alone El Paso, so maybe I'm basing that on TV/movies.

That makes sense.  I've never seen you in the local area.

On purpose!?

I'll have to take your word for it, as I always associated it with sand and unbearable heat.

How is it that we have so, so much in common?!?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27303 on: August 16, 2017, 06:04:46 PM »
As the late HH Pope Shenouda once said, "Keep the Psalms and the Psalms will keep you...

...and will dash your enemies' faces on the curb."

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #27304 on: August 16, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »

On purpose!?

I'm glad you didn't link to From Dusk Till Dawn.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27305 on: August 16, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »
It was touch and go there for awhile, but OC.NET is really starting to win me back.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27306 on: August 16, 2017, 06:36:28 PM »

On purpose!?

I guess I've seen inside the Dallas airport... probably couldn't see all the way down yonder way though  :angel:
"The bed is too short to stretch out on, the blanket too narrow to wrap around you." (Isa. 28:20)

"For because they wronged the simple, they shall be slain; and an inquisition shall ruin the ungodly." (Prov. 1:32 LXX)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27307 on: August 16, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »

On purpose!?

I guess I've seen inside the Dallas airport... probably couldn't see all the way down yonder way though  :angel:

Never seen you in Granbury, Texas USA. >Waves!<
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #27308 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »
Meatloaf

I've never understood it. Never liked it. I don't eat beef anymore, but when I did I just wanted steak or hamburger (or hamburger steak.) Meatloaf always seemed like a waste of good meat. I never got the concept. Am I the only one?

Selam
You are not alone. I'll eat meatloaf, and there's always leftover meatloaf, but I don't get it either.
"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27309 on: August 16, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
fish n chips  :police:
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27310 on: August 17, 2017, 03:38:17 PM »
Rapha it was an inside baseball joke that I think only Asteriktos would get.  ;D

Oh fo sho

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27311 on: August 19, 2017, 10:11:20 AM »
Good morning, people.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #27312 on: August 19, 2017, 11:06:29 AM »

My best friend lived in Granbury! Her family still does. Now she lives in Michigan, so let's all take a minute and say a prayer for her.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. Gregory Palamas, pray for me!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #27313 on: August 19, 2017, 11:09:27 AM »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27314 on: August 19, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »

My best friend lived in Granbury! Her family still does. Now she lives in Michigan, so let's all take a minute and say a prayer for her.

Praying every morning

AND evening.
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.