Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5915181 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27225 on: August 11, 2017, 11:10:22 PM »
I might be moving to El Paso, TX.

On purpose!?
El Paso is a nice little spot actually.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:11:38 PM by mcarmichael »
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27226 on: August 12, 2017, 07:37:22 PM »
This need for some to cling to confederate participation trophies (statues, flags) is getting out of hand.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #27227 on: August 12, 2017, 10:25:11 PM »
I might be moving to El Paso, TX.

On purpose!?
El Paso is a nice little spot actually.
Outside of Granbury, Texas is a cesspool.
God bless!

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #27228 on: August 12, 2017, 11:27:15 PM »
This need for some to cling to confederate participation trophies (statues, flags) is getting out of hand.

And erasing history, no matter how reprehensible is also getting out of hand.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27229 on: August 12, 2017, 11:36:23 PM »

Ooh complete role reversal for Gabriel here. ::)
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #27230 on: August 13, 2017, 12:02:37 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/08/suspect_in_charlottesville_ral.html

On the bright side, Toledo has only been in the national news twice this past decade for white supremacist related incidents...the other two times the city made news wwas for undrinkable water.  Supposedly the algea content is high in Lake Erie right now and they're warning the water may get contaminated before the year is up...let's hope so, it's not good to have your last news item be "that city with the terrorist". 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:06:24 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27231 on: August 13, 2017, 12:11:30 AM »
Something being historical or part of a culture doesn't make it automatically proper for display in squares or in prominent public locations. Depictions of dropping nukes on cities and people whipping slaves are also 'historical' and even of cultural significance (insofar as they should be remembered and not whitewashed from history), but that doesn't mean they should be on public display to promote 'pride' in that culture or action, as opposed to being put in a museum with information about them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:12:28 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #27232 on: August 13, 2017, 12:24:11 AM »
Something being historical or part of a culture doesn't make it automatically proper for display in squares or in prominent public locations. Depictions of dropping nukes on cities and people whipping slaves are also 'historical' and even of cultural significance (insofar as they should be remembered and not whitewashed from history), but that doesn't mean they should be on public display to promote 'pride' in that culture or action, as opposed to being put in a museum with information about them.

If you don't get it, you don't get it. 
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #27233 on: August 13, 2017, 12:31:39 AM »

Meaning?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #27234 on: August 13, 2017, 12:36:09 AM »

Meaning?

Probably calling you a racist.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #27235 on: August 13, 2017, 12:40:06 AM »

Meaning?

Probably calling you a racist.

I'll let him address his comment before I respond.  Don't want to put words in someone's mouth.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27236 on: August 13, 2017, 01:04:30 AM »

Thank God, most people don't "get" inhuman cruelty.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #27237 on: August 13, 2017, 01:06:34 AM »

What are you accusing me of, Porter?  I want you to explain your comments.  Maybe this is a misunderstanding between us.  Are you saying that I'm a racist?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:11:58 AM by GabrieltheCelt »

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #27238 on: August 13, 2017, 06:06:59 PM »

What are you accusing me of, Porter?  I want you to explain your comments.  Maybe this is a misunderstanding between us.  Are you saying that I'm a racist?

I know you're not a racist brother. I may not share your affinity for Confederate history and culture, but I know that your love for the South has nothing to do with racism. We wouldn't be good friends if I thought otherwise.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #27239 on: August 13, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »

+1

The place for such things is in a museum, not in public parks and the like.  They are no more appropriate for display by the state than Nazi propaganda is in modern Germany.  A regime founded upon the idea of white superiority and black inferiority and subservience - as the Confederacy most certainly was - should not be celebrated in any way by any modern government which claims to be egalitarian and inclusive.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #27240 on: August 13, 2017, 09:54:51 PM »

I know you're not a racist brother.

Thank you, brother!

Selam

Selam

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #27241 on: August 14, 2017, 03:37:26 AM »
Meatloaf

I've never understood it. Never liked it. I don't eat beef anymore, but when I did I just wanted steak or hamburger (or hamburger steak.) Meatloaf always seemed like a waste of good meat. I never got the concept. Am I the only one?

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27242 on: August 14, 2017, 07:27:15 AM »
Meatloaf

I've never understood it. Never liked it. I don't eat beef anymore, but when I did I just wanted steak or hamburger (or hamburger steak.) Meatloaf always seemed like a waste of good meat. I never got the concept. Am I the only one?

Selam

Depends on how it's done.  Diced mushrooms, onions, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, maybe some cumin and light on the tomato products...that's decent.  You can use ground pork or turkey.
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #27243 on: August 14, 2017, 07:44:39 AM »
Meatloaf

Selam

it's good comfort food,especially in the winter time.  What about Shepard's Pie or beef stew? To me these things each have their own space.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:45:59 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27244 on: August 14, 2017, 12:29:59 PM »
Meatloaf

Selam

Depends on how it's done.  Diced mushrooms, onions, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, maybe some cumin and light on the tomato products...that's decent.  You can use ground pork or turkey.

No, no you can't. ;)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #27245 on: August 15, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
Mor's avatar and the text beneath it: "Pope Pius XIII, play for us!" never cease to make me laugh.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #27246 on: August 15, 2017, 08:09:43 PM »
I don't really like this place anymore, so see ya!

I might check PMs, not sure.
God bless!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27247 on: August 15, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »

What the?  Where are you going?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27248 on: August 15, 2017, 09:24:24 PM »

What the?  Where are you going?

Away.  Bye, Tris.   :'(

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27249 on: August 15, 2017, 10:18:29 PM »

Top 10 Anime Betrayals
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27250 on: August 15, 2017, 10:25:11 PM »
Who was (or is) the greatest comedian of the modern era?
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #27251 on: August 16, 2017, 02:32:17 AM »

Be free!  Enjoy life!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27252 on: August 16, 2017, 07:10:35 AM »
And the world keeps spinning.  :)

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27253 on: August 16, 2017, 07:55:20 AM »

Life is a double-edged sword.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #27254 on: August 16, 2017, 07:56:00 AM »

I really love Bill Hicks, though I haven't seen many comedians good or bad to compare him with.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27255 on: August 16, 2017, 07:59:28 AM »

A stitch in time saves nine!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27256 on: August 16, 2017, 08:01:13 AM »

I really love Bill Hicks, though I haven't seen many comedians good or bad to compare him with.

The guy who accused Denis Leary of stealing his material, right?

I love Rodney Dangerfield, Eddie Murphy, and Steve Martin.  Each brilliant in their own right.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27257 on: August 16, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »

Ah forget it; wrong metaphor anyway (though still a good one).  I see the effect would have been lost regardless.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27258 on: August 16, 2017, 08:46:16 AM »

Ah forget it; wrong metaphor anyway (though still a good one).  I see the effect would have been lost regardless.

I thought we were just spouting random maxims.  What were you up to?  ;D

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27259 on: August 16, 2017, 08:46:31 AM »
Just who do you think that is there?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #27260 on: August 16, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »

I don't really know anything about that, but I find Bill Hicks infinitely funnier and smarter than Dennis Leary.

“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27261 on: August 16, 2017, 09:18:40 AM »

I don't really know anything about that, but I find Bill Hicks infinitely funnier and smarter than Dennis Leary.

There was a whole big thing about it.  I remember reading about it when that unwatchable Carlos Mencia guy was outed as a big time joke stealer.  I forget what YouTube channel or blog it was on, but these comedians were posting definitive proof about how Mencia stole entire routines pretty much word for word from various comedians - not like a line here or there or whatever, but entire routines - and then someone brought up how Bill Hicks accused Denis Leary of doing the same thing when Leary dropped the No Cure for Cancer album in the 90s.  Bill Hicks was furious because apparently Leary had lifted entire bits from Hicks on the CD.  (Which was pretty bit at the time, as you might remember.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:19:31 AM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #27262 on: August 16, 2017, 09:22:08 AM »
Ugh, I forgot about Carlos Mencia. What garbage. The fact that he actually had to steal any of that is just depressing.

I got into Bill Hicks way after he died so I wasn't familiar with the controversies. I can believe it, though.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27263 on: August 16, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »
I'll have to look into Hicks then.  I'm kind of a comedy buff, and I could always use a good laugh.  And yeah, Mencia was terrible.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27264 on: August 16, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »

Louis C.K. made a similar claim, about (apparently) some of Leary's most famous work no less.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27265 on: August 16, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »

Louis C.K. made a similar claim, about (apparently) some of Leary's most famous work no less.

Wow.  Was he able to substantiate it like they were with Mencia?  They had tapes of Mencia doing other people's routines word for word.   George Lopez, Ari Shaffir, Bobby Lee.  Mostly guys he'd opened for at some point.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27266 on: August 16, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »
I don't think it was anything on tape, but here's a video (NSFW) in which he talks about it (starting at ~2:50).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27267 on: August 16, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »
Don't see how you could get much joy out of any of these guys. They seem just -- evil. There have to be better comedians out there.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27268 on: August 16, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
I don't think it was anything on tape, but here's a video (NSFW) in which he talks about it (starting at ~2:50).

Thanks!

Don't see how you could get much joy out of any of these guys. They seem just -- evil. There have to be better comedians out there.

Who would you recommend?  One rule: no one hokey enough to play Branson.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27269 on: August 16, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »

Thanks!

Who would you recommend?  One rule: no one hokey enough to play Branson.

I don't know as I don't follow comedians.