Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5732156 times)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27045 on: July 19, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
The only age I remember is that I'm the same age as Asteriktos.
God bless!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27046 on: July 19, 2017, 11:10:15 PM »
At one time the avg. age of regular posters here was probably in the early 20s... but it's probably in the early 30s nowadays.

Time being a passing thing.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27047 on: July 20, 2017, 12:09:31 AM »
At one time the avg. age of regular posters here was probably in the early 20s... but it's probably in the early 30s nowadays.

Time being a passing thing.

Or that most of us who started here haven't left. 
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27048 on: July 20, 2017, 12:10:23 AM »
What now?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27049 on: July 20, 2017, 12:13:31 AM »
I inadvertently got in the middle of a couple Copts fighting about soteriology. Dang, I thought knives were gonna get drawn.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #27050 on: July 20, 2017, 12:26:06 AM »
What now?

I started here as a regular poster in my early 20s, now I'm in my mid-30s. 
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #27051 on: July 20, 2017, 12:26:23 AM »
I inadvertently got in the middle of a couple Copts fighting about soteriology. Dang, I thought knives were gonna get drawn.

Join our Church.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27052 on: July 20, 2017, 12:28:18 AM »

Join our Church.
And I thought convert EO were hardcore. They got nothing on the Copts. They were threatening to call their cousin the bishop and have each other named as heretics. My head was spinnin'
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #27053 on: July 20, 2017, 12:32:54 AM »

Join our Church.
And I thought convert EO were hardcore. They got nothing on the Copts. They were threatening to call their cousin the bishop and have each other named as heretics. My head was spinnin'

Join our Church.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #27054 on: July 20, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »

Join our Church.

I hope you boldly took the side of the guy articulating an Orthodox model of soteriology and clotheslined the guy arguing for penal substitutionary atonement like King Harley Race.  After he went down, I hope the other guy's cousin the bishop dropped the People's Elbow on him.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27055 on: July 20, 2017, 09:48:19 AM »

Join our Church.

Join our Church.

Our Theotokos carries knives like nobody's business. What does Indian Theotokos do?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #27056 on: July 20, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »

Join our Church.

Join our Church.

Our Theotokos carries knives like nobody's business. What does Indian Theotokos do?

You really wanna go there?

“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27057 on: July 20, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »

Join our Church.

I hope you boldly took the side of the guy articulating an Orthodox model of soteriology and clotheslined the guy arguing for penal substitutionary atonement like King Harley Race.  After he went down, I hope the other guy's cousin the bishop dropped the People's Elbow on him.
I mostly just encouraged people to stop calling the moderators (who had not posted anything) heretics. I thought Fr. Peter made some good points in countering the error, but they were drowned out by lots of yelling. It's good, I suppose, that people are fierce defenders of their faith. Perhaps done a bit more constructively would have been better though. I don't really know any of the people there, so perhaps there is a history in not aware of.
God bless!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27058 on: July 20, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »

Join our Church.

I mostly just encouraged people to stop calling the moderators (who had not posted anything) heretics. I thought Fr. Peter made some good points in countering the error, but they were drowned out by lots of yelling. It's good, I suppose, that people are fierce defenders of their faith. Perhaps done a bit more constructively would have been better though. I don't really know any of the people there, so perhaps there is a history in not aware of.

Oh, so this was online somewhere.  I thought you meant at a church or something.  Where online did this take place?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27059 on: July 20, 2017, 02:02:50 PM »

Join our Church.

Oh, so this was online somewhere.  I thought you meant at a church or something.  Where online did this take place?

Yeah, Tris, this is a let-down. I was envisioning tall wirey guys with daggers strapped to their waists circling and spitting in the narthex.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27060 on: July 20, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »

Join our Church.

Yeah, Tris, this is a let-down. I was envisioning tall wirey guys with daggers strapped to their waists circling and spitting in the narthex.

I'll let this pass, since you don't have much experience with our Church and have never seen two Copts arguing vociferously about theology face-to-face.  Knives aren't usually involved, but things can get...animated.  We're not all cool-tempered, pacifistic Plain Folk, you know.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27061 on: July 20, 2017, 02:40:20 PM »
"Oh you don't advocate black priestly robe? Modernist heretic!"

"You contradict Pope Shenouda? Heretic!"

"Did you talk to your priest about this?  What would Bishop Karas say? Heretic!"

:angel:
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27062 on: July 20, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »

"Did you talk to your priest about this?  What would Bishop Karas say? Heretic!"

+1

One of the first Arabic phrases I picked up in the Coptic Church - in my first year, in fact - after watching one of these shouting matches, was "Ana arfan!" (sp.?)  In my naïveté I actually asked the bishop what it meant.  He laughed.  :-[ :laugh:
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27063 on: July 20, 2017, 02:45:16 PM »

Join our Church.

I'll let this pass, since you don't have much experience with our Church and have never seen two Copts arguing vociferously about theology face-to-face.  Knives aren't usually involved, but things can get...animated.  We're not all cool-tempered, pacifistic Plain Folk, you know.

Not a picture I'd have gotten of the Coptic Church myself. Just continuing the plays on this:

Here in the heathen Northwest, by the way, we have Copts and Ethiopians at our Greek liturgies. Always love to see them, altho the Ethiopian men who come most often happen not to be the kind of attendee that chats with others. The women are chatty tho.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27064 on: July 20, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »

+1

One of the first Arabic phrases I picked up in the Coptic Church - in my first year, in fact - after watching one of these shouting matches, was "Ana arfan!" (sp.?)  In my naïveté I actually asked the bishop what it meant.  He laughed.  :-[ :laugh:

Lol! The three phrases Egyptians say when something isn't going well:

Ana arfan
Ana zihi't
Ana ta'a'dt

(I'm disgusted; I'm tired; I've had it!)
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27065 on: July 20, 2017, 02:54:49 PM »
Not a picture I'd have gotten of the Coptic Church myself.

Yeah, well...you probably wouldn't have pictured us with praise bands either.  ;)

Here in the heathen Northwest

Never made any judgments about whether or not the Gospel had reached the pious and God-fearing Northwest or not.  Just whether or not Porter knew from Copts.

by the way, we have Copts and Ethiopians at our Greek liturgies.

I'm sure, being guests there, both populations are invariably polite.  We're all different when we're comfortable and among ourselves though, aren't we?

Always love to see them, altho the Ethiopian men who come most often happen not to be the kind of attendee that chats with others. The women are chatty tho.

Sounds about right to me.
Now accepting brief PMs.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27066 on: July 20, 2017, 02:56:51 PM »

+1

Lol! The three phrases Egyptians say when something isn't going well:

Ana arfan
Ana zihi't
Ana ta'a'dt

(I'm disgusted; I'm tired; I've had it!)

;D ;D ;D

When I asked Sayedna what "ana arfan" meant, all the people around us gasped and looked at him like I'd said a swear word and they wanted to see his reaction.  One lady put her hand over her mouth.  I turned as red as a beet until he laughingly explained what it meant.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:57:24 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27067 on: July 20, 2017, 03:04:27 PM »

Yeah, well...you probably wouldn't have pictured us with praise bands either.  ;)

Never made any judgments about whether or not the Gospel had reached the pious and God-fearing Northwest or not.  Just whether or not Porter knew from Copts.

I'm sure, being guests there, both populations are invariably polite.  We're all different when we're comfortable and among ourselves though, aren't we?

Always love to see them, altho the Ethiopian men who come most often happen not to be the kind of attendee that chats with others. The women are chatty tho.

"The heathen Northwest" was just my own commentary. Having so much fewer Orthodox, or even Christians, here, jurisdictions tend to mix up and make do. We have Romanians, Russians, Syrians, and Ethiopians as regular attendees or members here. And an OCA deacon, when he shows up.

The political news tends to call the Northwest "irreligious" or "Nones."

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27068 on: July 20, 2017, 03:19:36 PM »

"The heathen Northwest" was just my own commentary. Having so much fewer Orthodox, or even Christians, here, jurisdictions tend to mix up and make do. We have Romanians, Russians, Syrians, and Ethiopians as regular attendees or members here. And an OCA deacon, when he shows up.

Sounds wonderful!  I've always wanted to visit your region, and you've just given me another reason. :)

The political news tends to call the Northwest "irreligious" or "Nones."

Gotcha.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #27069 on: July 20, 2017, 03:26:34 PM »
Visit Wa state....we have more Orthodox Churches then a lot of places.......
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #27070 on: July 20, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »
Today, someone died here at work, in a bathroom, an area over from mine (I work at a place where 45,000 other people also work)

All I can think of is 'Please God, do not let me die at work'

:(
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27071 on: July 20, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »
Today, someone died here at work, in a bathroom, an area over from mine (I work at a place where 45,000 other people also work)

Awful. Lord, have mercy. Yes it makes you think doesn't it?

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27072 on: July 20, 2017, 04:16:02 PM »
Visit Wa state....we have more Orthodox Churches then a lot of places.......

I'll put it on the list!

Lord, have mercy!
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27073 on: July 20, 2017, 05:49:49 PM »

Join our Church.

Sorry, my life really only exists online. It was on Facebook, in a page that was supposed to be for inquirers and people learning about the Coptic faith. Then someone brought up penal substitution and it erupted into craziness and the page got shut down while they wait for a bishop to give them direction on what to do next.
God bless!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27074 on: July 20, 2017, 06:09:51 PM »

Join our Church.

Sorry, my life really only exists online. It was on Facebook, in a page that was supposed to be for inquirers and people learning about the Coptic faith. Then someone brought up penal substitution and it erupted into craziness and the page got shut down while they wait for a bishop to give them direction on what to do next.

It's truly a shame how much heterodox teaching has crept into the Coptic Church on this and other issues due to Protestant missionary activity in Egypt in former centuries and modern Coptic bishops consuming trash like Spurgeon like it was St. John Chrysostom.  And then the same guys who accept that will attempt a critique of something like theosis.  Lord, have mercy.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #27075 on: July 20, 2017, 11:59:21 PM »
New Johnny Depp Expenses Disclosed by Ex-Managers in Amended Lawsuit

Specifically, reading the legal document at the bottom. Not sure why I like reading these as much as I do. Maybe because they're gossipy but I can pretend it's news instead. In the end though it's just Jerry Springer or Judge Judy except more organized and dressed up in slightly fancier language.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:00:17 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27076 on: July 21, 2017, 10:00:27 AM »

Join our Church.

It's truly a shame how much heterodox teaching has crept into the Coptic Church on this and other issues due to Protestant missionary activity in Egypt in former centuries and modern Coptic bishops consuming trash like Spurgeon like it was St. John Chrysostom.  And then the same guys who accept that will attempt a critique of something like theosis.  Lord, have mercy.

You had me at no shoes in church. (Even if it might make the building smell like feet ;))

You lost me at Spurgeon.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:00:47 AM by Agabus »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27077 on: July 21, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »

Join our Church.

You had me at no shoes in church. (Even if it might make the building smell like feet ;))

You lost me at Spurgeon.

For that joke, I'm glad we lost you!  I guess there's a silver lining to Spurgeon after all!  ;)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27078 on: July 21, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
Pretty much what happened to the EOs about 1-2 centuries ago being in "western captivity" happened to us later, and we are just starting to have our own "neo-patristic" Renaissance.  In other words, de ja vu of the EOs as is occuring with Copts with the added layer of social media exacerbating the effect.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:36:40 PM by minasoliman »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27079 on: July 21, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »
Pretty much what happened to the EOs about 1-2 centuries ago being in "western captivity" happened to us later, and we are just starting to have our own "neo-patristic" Renaissance.  In other words, de ja vu of the EOs as is occuring with Copts with the added layer of social media exacerbating the effect.

+1
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27080 on: July 21, 2017, 02:54:33 PM »
I'm not good at a lot of things, but money is what I'm not good at the most.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. Gregory Palamas, pray for me!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #27081 on: July 21, 2017, 02:58:23 PM »
I'm not good at a lot of things, but money is what I'm not good at the most.
Welcome to the club.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #27082 on: July 22, 2017, 03:43:35 AM »

Just don't go to the other extreme as we have done. Much of the so-called western captivity isn't actually that bad.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:44:34 AM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27083 on: July 22, 2017, 03:52:21 AM »
Just don't go to the other extreme as we have done.

What the world?

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27084 on: July 22, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
Just don't go to the other extreme as we have done.

What the world?

+1

Explain please.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27085 on: July 22, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »
Some things like deemphasizing the crucifixion and getting rid of all juridical language is probably what he's alluding to.  I tend to agree, and I take a nuanced approach to the subject of soteriology, but I do emphasize theosis as foundational to soteriology.

Dr. George Bebawy, and I love him, does tend to take that very extreme approach though.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:55:46 AM by minasoliman »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #27086 on: July 22, 2017, 10:30:03 AM »
Some things like deemphasizing the crucifixion and getting rid of all juridical language is probably what he's alluding to. 

Pretty much this. Doing away with Original Sin, bashing Augustine, neglecting systematic theology etc.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27087 on: July 22, 2017, 10:43:51 AM »
Some things like deemphasizing the crucifixion and getting rid of all juridical language is probably what he's alluding to. 

Pretty much this. Doing away with Original Sin, bashing Augustine, neglecting systematic theology etc.

There are elements of St. Augustine that are problematic.  This can be recognized without bashing him.  And the Western concept of "original sin" (as opposed to ancestral sin) is not something I subscribe to, nor something I would teach my youth.  I don't want them to think we inherit Adam's sin as opposed to its consequences (death, etc.).  I also think the crucifixion should only be contemplated in relation to the ultimate triumph and Resurrection of Christ.  I see your and Mina's point though.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #27088 on: July 22, 2017, 11:42:14 AM »

Just don't go to the other extreme as we have done. Much of the so-called western captivity isn't actually that bad.

I would strongly recommend Chalcedonianism and the Religion of the Future by Fr Mina El Solimani. 

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27089 on: July 22, 2017, 12:26:34 PM »
I accept preorders...to be part of my early bird kickstarter, just send me your name, credit card, CVV number, address, social security, bank account and routing numbers, mother's maiden name, and date of birth...

And TRUST me.  I'm an Egyptian (not Nigerian) prince and who left the vain world for the deserts  :angel: