Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 6031839 times)

Antonis (+ 2 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #25830 on: April 21, 2016, 04:56:26 PM »
guyliner.

Adding masculine words to obviously feminine stuff is silly. If you are going drag and trans, stop being silly and do it out and loud.

lol! I was only using terminology I have been told.  But I agree more or less.

In the 1980s though, it seemed it was such a guy thing to do for some groups of people.  Charlie Murphy had a funny line about Shalimar looking like a girl and yet getting the finest women.

Correction:  Micki Free
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #25831 on: April 21, 2016, 05:01:01 PM »
Game.... blouses.

:'(

A true homage

"Why don't you go purify yourself in the waters of lake Minnetonka?"

At lunch today I said to my friend, "then he cooked us all pancakes."  We got a good chuckle remembering that episode.  Then I got back to work and saw on FB that he had died.

That skit just never gets old.

I wish there were more Charlie Murphey True Hollywood Stories.  The Rick James one is just classic.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #25832 on: April 21, 2016, 05:02:33 PM »
Guyliner just means it's a guy wearing it. Not a big issue.

But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #25833 on: April 21, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »

That Louis XVI hair is the bigger issue.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #25834 on: April 24, 2016, 01:36:25 AM »
So long story short, I had to get a new job so I applied at Sephora. The fancy women's cosmetics store. I think I am going to get the job. This will make my mom proud since she loves Sephora and can use my discount, plus I could meet women in an environment full of women and homosexuals. I just hope that I could learn the ropes of the job soon though because I know next to nothing about the application of makeup let alone answering customers' inquiries.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #25835 on: April 24, 2016, 01:39:24 AM »
guyliner.

Adding masculine words to obviously feminine stuff is silly. If you are going drag and trans, stop being silly and do it out and loud.

Mantyhose is a thing, too. Although there are actually quite a few practical and medical reasons for why some men wear it.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #25836 on: April 24, 2016, 01:40:54 AM »

That Louis XVI hair is the bigger issue.

Better Louis XVI than Napoleon XIV.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #25837 on: April 24, 2016, 06:23:16 AM »
^That was creepy. And will probably be my earworm for the rest of the day.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Raylight

« Reply #25838 on: April 24, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »
I finished my final exams and now I have a whole month off. Time to have some fun ;)

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #25839 on: April 24, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »
I finished my final exams and now I have a whole month off. Time to have some fun ;)
Congrats, Raylight. Have a fun break!
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Raylight

« Reply #25840 on: April 24, 2016, 05:31:36 PM »
Congrats, Raylight. Have a fun break!

Thank you :)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #25841 on: April 24, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »
So long story short, I had to get a new job so I applied at Sephora. The fancy women's cosmetics store. I think I am going to get the job. This will make my mom proud since she loves Sephora and can use my discount, plus I could meet women in an environment full of women and homosexuals. I just hope that I could learn the ropes of the job soon though because I know next to nothing about the application of makeup let alone answering customers' inquiries.

I hope that it works out for you.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25842 on: April 25, 2016, 12:14:07 AM »

Glad to know you are working.
Don't drown in estrogen.
All that constant talking....and at a higher range.......The pay better be real good.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Online William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #25844 on: May 02, 2016, 06:54:26 PM »
The character designs for the new "Scooby Apocalypse" comic. They made Shaggy into a hipster and Scooby-Doo into some kind of cyborg dog...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:55:51 PM by Volnutt »
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25845 on: May 02, 2016, 08:57:25 PM »
So, my mother decided to pay for me to have my DNA analyzed to confirm all of my cousin's genealogy research.  The scores have come back, and now the whole family is puzzled.

The tests show 77% Southern European, 10% Scandanavian, 7% Asia Minor, 2% Finland/Siberia, and 2% Jewish Diaspora.

No sign of most the ethnicities the genealogical research 'confirmed.' Nor does the research account for Scandanavian, Turkic, or Finnish bloodlines.

You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #25846 on: May 02, 2016, 08:59:33 PM »
DNA is full of lies from the pit of hell.
God bless!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25847 on: May 02, 2016, 09:06:49 PM »

Well, knowing me, that makes a lot of sense.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #25848 on: May 02, 2016, 09:08:21 PM »
Either that or your cousin is a bad genealogist.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25849 on: May 02, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »
Now that you have that 2% Jewish Diaspora locked down, I think it is time to join:

;)
God bless!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25850 on: May 02, 2016, 09:13:23 PM »
Now that you have that 2% Jewish Diaspora locked down, I think it is time to join:

;)

Funny thing: the family tradition was that some of them fled to Italy from Spain to avoid the Inquisition.  Apparently being a Jewish convert to Roman Catholicism wasn't enough for those Spaniards, so they had to flee for Naples.  It was safer to be an ex-Jew in Italy than in Spain.

So, I guess the 'Jews For Jesus' thing worked for them.   

That or the red-hot pincers...    ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:14:08 PM by FatherGiryus »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25851 on: May 02, 2016, 09:16:54 PM »
I do recall reading that the Spaniards tended to be rather skeptical of conversions from Judaism and figured they had better be safe than sorry so they pretty much indiscriminately killed anyone with Jewish ancestry.  As bad as the 21st century might be, it certainly wasn't all sun and roses in ages past.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:17:44 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #25852 on: May 02, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »
So, my mother decided to pay for me to have my DNA analyzed to confirm all of my cousin's genealogy research.  The scores have come back, and now the whole family is puzzled.

The tests show 77% Southern European, 10% Scandanavian, 7% Asia Minor, 2% Finland/Siberia, and 2% Jewish Diaspora.

No sign of most the ethnicities the genealogical research 'confirmed.' Nor does the research account for Scandanavian, Turkic, or Finnish bloodlines.

Did you go through Ancestry? I've done the same for my own genealogy research. They have a page that explains it pretty well.

Welcome to the concept of "genetic ethnicity". :P Your genes go back farther than your family tree does, so you could be seeing bits and pieces that have been passed down genetically from farther back than your family tree shows. Also, although your ancestors lived in a certain region, their genes could have been influenced from other places through marriages over the years. For example- my own family on both sides has Polish/Rusyn ancestry with people immigrating to America from the region within the last 80-100 years, but surprise! My genes show less Eastern European influence than I had expected to see. It doesn't mean that's not my ancestry, it's just that the aggregate of the random gene transmission I inherited shows a bigger story. And I showed up with 11% Iberian Peninsula despite NO clue as to where that came from.

As for Scandinavia (possibly Finland as well), I have 6% which wasn't a "known" ethnicity, but consider: you are also very European and Vikings were known to pillage and rape throughout- so their genes are sewn far and wide.

What I think is really interesting is that my siblings could take the same test (and I plan on making them :P ) and get totally different percentages than I got, just as a quirk of what bits of DNA we happened to inherit.

If you're curious, here's my results:

Europe West 38%
Great Britain 19%
European Jewish 11%
Iberian Peninsula 11%
Ireland 9%
Scandinavia 6%
Europe East 4%
Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
Italy/Greece <1%
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #25853 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:01 PM »
Those tests have some imprecisions. Maybe you barely have a drop of, say, Jewish blood, but the presence of your own genes among Jews (who may have gotten it from miscigenation with Europeans) made it pop up in your test. Southern Europe, for a second example, has a specially multiethnic past, it has common roots with North Africa (the darkest Mediterraneans) and Northern Europe (some Nordic strains) at the same time. I'd like to do one myself, though, most of my tree is Portuguese but there's some African, Amerindian and Sephardic Jewish somewhere. I might get a few surprises.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:46:13 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #25854 on: May 02, 2016, 09:54:55 PM »

Well, knowing me, that makes a lot of sense.

That's super cool.  I wonder if one of your ancestors was a Cohen? 

I think genetics does a lot more than we understand.
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25855 on: May 02, 2016, 10:04:34 PM »

That's super cool.  I wonder if one of your ancestors was a Cohen? 

Probably a few Rubensteins or Katzes.

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #25856 on: May 02, 2016, 10:05:02 PM »
Those tests have some imprecisions. Maybe you barely have a drop of, say, Jewish blood, but the presence of your own genes among Jews (who may have gotten it from miscigenation with Europeans) made it pop up in your test. Southern Europe, for a second example, has a specially multiethnic past, it has common roots with North Africa (the darkest Mediterraneans) and Northern Europe (some Nordic strains) at the same time. I'd like to do one myself, though, most of my tree is Portuguese but there's some African, Amerindian and Sephardic Jewish somewhere. I might get a few surprises.

That's what they say, geneticists, that is.  If you test with three different companies you may get three different results due to a number of factors.

I tested with Family Tree DNA which does the most comprehensive test.  It showed what I know of my background, even the one hushed comment about there being an Native American woman in my grandmother's line. 

So I tested for predominately Old World, from Northern Germany up to Siberia and one hit in France, then the rest is Native American and South Central Asian, with 1% unaccounted.  I am guessing they are too polite to tell me that I carry 1% neanderthal genes like a lot of Euros. 

My only family match was Scandinavian, and none of us know anything about our families.  Lots of illicit sex in Scandinavia apparently.  Got to have something to do on those long dark winter months. 

South Central Asia was a surprise, but I'm inclined to believe it since they picked up on the New World genetics. 
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25857 on: May 02, 2016, 10:11:09 PM »

Did you go through Ancestry? I've done the same for my own genealogy research. They have a page that explains it pretty well.

Welcome to the concept of "genetic ethnicity". :P Your genes go back farther than your family tree does, so you could be seeing bits and pieces that have been passed down genetically from farther back than your family tree shows. Also, although your ancestors lived in a certain region, their genes could have been influenced from other places through marriages over the years. For example- my own family on both sides has Polish/Rusyn ancestry with people immigrating to America from the region within the last 80-100 years, but surprise! My genes show less Eastern European influence than I had expected to see. It doesn't mean that's not my ancestry, it's just that the aggregate of the random gene transmission I inherited shows a bigger story. And I showed up with 11% Iberian Peninsula despite NO clue as to where that came from.

As for Scandinavia (possibly Finland as well), I have 6% which wasn't a "known" ethnicity, but consider: you are also very European and Vikings were known to pillage and rape throughout- so their genes are sewn far and wide.

What I think is really interesting is that my siblings could take the same test (and I plan on making them :P ) and get totally different percentages than I got, just as a quirk of what bits of DNA we happened to inherit.

If you're curious, here's my results:

Europe West 38%
Great Britain 19%
European Jewish 11%
Iberian Peninsula 11%
Ireland 9%
Scandinavia 6%
Europe East 4%
Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
Italy/Greece <1%

Interesting!

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #25858 on: May 02, 2016, 10:29:08 PM »
DNA All science is full of lies from the pit of hell.
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25859 on: May 02, 2016, 10:31:33 PM »
DNA All science is full of lies from the pit of hell.
While that is also true, I contend that the very genetic material that makes us who we are is made up of little helix-shaped protein LIES!!!
God bless!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #25860 on: May 03, 2016, 12:38:32 AM »
So Father, it seems like you don't even have a little bit of Arab in you?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25861 on: May 03, 2016, 01:16:54 AM »
So Father, it seems like you don't even have a little bit of Arab in you?

Well, that all depends on how you define 'Arab.'

Some would consider 'Arab' to be all Arabic speakers, including Egyptians (like you).  Whereas, I believe for the purposes of genetics, Arab is:

This component of your ancestry is associated with the region around the eastern Mediterranean Sea, Red Sea, Persian Gulf, and Caspian Sea. This region was the first stepping-stone in modern humans’ migrations out of Africa. Prehistorically, the Arabian Peninsula (Middle East) is considered to be the earliest site of plant domestication and is also home to some of the oldest known buildings, and likewise the oldest known evidence of writing, and possibly even the earliest civilizations. Historically, the region saw continuous movement of groups for tens of millennia. One of the largest was the growth of Islam, centered in modern-day Saudi Arabia.

Today, this ancestral component occurs at highest frequency in people from Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Oman, Yemen, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, and Iraq. Because of its importance geographically and culturally, this component is also seen in North and East Africa, parts of Europe, and to the east in Iran and Afghanistan.

My 'Asia Minor' component is described as this:

This component of your ancestry is associated with the border regions that separate southeastern Europe and southwestern Asia around the Mediterranean, Black, and Caspian Seas. This part of the world saw some of the earliest migrations and crossings after modern humans left Africa some 60,000 years ago.

Today, this component is found at highest frequency in people from Turkey, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and the Caucasus countries. Given that it rests in the historic and prehistoric crossroads of Europe and Asia, this component also occurs in varying frequency in other neighboring populations throughout the region.

So, potentially-speaking, I may have ancestry that would today be considered 'Arab.'  The problem is that the window for this ancestry is from 1,000 to 8,000 years ago.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #25862 on: May 05, 2016, 11:40:37 AM »
Learn some useless Finnish, lesson 1: Pussikalja. We have a single word for getting a (plastic) bag of beer and drinking it in a park. I went to first pussikalja this year today and almost burnt my face. The summer has officially began.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25863 on: May 05, 2016, 11:52:25 AM »
Learn some useless Finnish, lesson 1: Pussikalja. We have a single word for getting a (plastic) bag of beer and drinking it in a park. I went to first pussikalja this year today and almost burnt my face. The summer has officially began.

Just for clarification: is the 'bag of beer' a bag containing a beer can, or do you literally mean a bag of beer?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25864 on: May 05, 2016, 11:55:22 AM »

Just for clarification: is the 'bag of beer' a bag containing a beer can, or do you literally mean a bag of beer?

I suspect he means a bag...maybe with a straw.....ie the vendor wants to keep the bottle...so you get a drink poured into a bag with a straw....(at least this was how they handled soda in Brazil in the 1990's )
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25865 on: May 05, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »

I suspect he means a bag...maybe with a straw.....ie the vendor wants to keep the bottle...so you get a drink poured into a bag with a straw....(at least this was how they handled soda in Brazil in the 1990's )

Like China:

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25866 on: May 05, 2016, 12:50:09 PM »
Bags of soda are unfortunately outdated in Rio. Bags of ice cream are still a thing, though.

"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25867 on: May 05, 2016, 12:51:42 PM »
Bags of soda are unfortunately outdated in Rio. Bags of ice cream are still a thing, though.

heheh probably as outdated as me....;)

and quite tragically I have never been to Rio.....I lived in the Jungle

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25868 on: May 05, 2016, 12:58:09 PM »

heheh probably as outdated as me.... ;)

I've never been outside Rio, São Paulo and Minas, on the other hand.  :-\  But there's urban rainforest in Rio and I'm more tired than excited to cross it.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25869 on: May 05, 2016, 01:00:50 PM »

]

heheh probably as outdated as me.... ;)

I've never been outside Rio, São Paulo and Minas, on the other hand.  :-\  But there's urban rainforest in Rio and I'm more tired than excited to cross it.

someday i should actual do a return visit and use my rusty Portuguese to go see all the parts i have never been to.....I have the amazon covered...;)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #25870 on: May 05, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »

Like China:

Oh no. Even we are not that drunkards. A bag containing a few beers is what I meant.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #25871 on: May 06, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
I wish raindrops felt warm rather than cold.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #25872 on: May 06, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »

Like China:

Wow! I remember my early teenager days when I lived in northern Paraná, after school we used to go to this little bar and ask for soda in a plastic bag (the name of the soda was Tubaína Guaratuba) and fried pizza or another snack, was extremely cheap then, good ol' days.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #25873 on: May 06, 2016, 12:10:50 PM »

This is the brazilian way to drink it, those gringos in the foto don't master the art of drinking soda in a plastic bag.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25874 on: May 06, 2016, 12:21:54 PM »

This is the brazilian way to drink it, those gringos in the foto don't master the art of drinking soda in a plastic bag.

e agora tenho saudades disso!

(and now I am melancholy about the missing this )