Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 6036248 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #24975 on: November 19, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »
I've been through Pennsylvania before on a trip and it is very pretty, from what I can remember. (it was several years ago)
That is because it is the dwelling place of the LORD Almighty.

Which is so weird, because I was pretty sure that US 15 southbound is the corridor to hell.
Northbound actually.

I will concede that point, however. US 15 is not a good place. Unless, of course, you are looking for lot lizards and trailer tramps. Those can be found in abundance.

Well, it certainly can't be northbound because that brings you to New York.

Keep telling the truth, I've got your back. 
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #24976 on: November 19, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »
Northbound takes me to my in-laws, so yes, it is the corridor to hell. Also, there are lots of seedy strip clubs and adult video stores. Apparently, the river rats have not figured out that you can get that stuff for free on the internet.

Yeah, but that takes away the social element of depravity.  When I sin, I want to sin with people. 

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #24977 on: November 19, 2015, 04:56:30 PM »
Northbound takes me to my in-laws, so yes, it is the corridor to hell. Also, there are lots of seedy strip clubs and adult video stores. Apparently, the river rats have not figured out that you can get that stuff for free on the internet.

Yeah, but that takes away the social element of depravity.  When I sin, I want to sin with people.
Not with the people you would encounter along that stretch of road you don't. It would be too much for even your worldly NYC persona to deal with.

God bless!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24978 on: November 19, 2015, 08:48:13 PM »
Was listening to a counter-terrorism expert today, talking about how to deal with a potential suicide bomber:

1) Wear eye protection in public.  Lots of people have been blinded by bombs (mostly from broken glass).

2) If you hear "Allahu Akbar," that's indicator that something is about to go 'bang.'  Lie flat on the ground.  Suicide bomb vests and belts tend to go off at waist level.

3) Once the bomb goes off, immediately get out of the area.  Bombers tend to work in groups, with hope they can catch First Responders.  Get at least a block away... running.

4) Park far from the entrance of where you are going, near the parking lot exit, with the nose of your car facing out (if possible).  You might have a chance to get to your car and drive.  But, if you can't get out almost immediately, don't get stuck in a traffic jam.  Come back for the car later.

5) If someone in your group is injured, move them out of the area.  We are usually told not to move the injured, but that's what bombers hope for.  They want to catch medical personnel tending the wounded.  Evacuate and get help far away from the bomb.  Chances are that ambulances will be coming from all directions.  Flag one of those down.

6) Keep medical supplies in your car anyhow.  A bug-out bag is best just in case you can't make it home right away.

7) There are no such things as 'hostages' anymore.  If you are being kept in an area by a terrorist, he is likely preparing to kill everyone together.  You might as well take the risk and run.
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #24979 on: November 19, 2015, 09:00:53 PM »
I'm a medic.  Number 3 and 5 are true if you're in a situation like that.  As for 6, If you have first aid in your car and it's out of harms way, that can be helpful to any off duty nurse or EMT I guess.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:05:55 PM by William T »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24980 on: November 19, 2015, 10:50:49 PM »
I'm a medic.  Number 3 and 5 are true if you're in a situation like that.  As for 6, If you have first aid in your car and it's out of harms way, that can be helpful to any off duty nurse or EMT I guess.

Because we live in earthquake territory, we keep a lot of supplies on hand.  Much of the medical stuff I can barely use if at all, but it does help get your family treatment from a professional if you can bring extra stuff he can use to fix your people and maybe a few others. 

I learned that from hearing about Russian athletes who packed their own medical supplies when traveling in Russia in the 1990s when things were bad.  If they got injured on tour, they always had all the supplies they needed to get proper treatment, since they couldn't depend on well-stocked hospitals in those days.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #24981 on: November 20, 2015, 01:44:23 AM »
If y'all don't like PA, then leave so I can have it all to myself.

I absolutely love it here.

I actually do like it, but I like harassing Tris even more :p
I see who my true friend is.

It's Maria. She never once makes fun of PA.

Everything outside of the compound is hell.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #24982 on: November 20, 2015, 04:44:38 AM »

Because we live in earthquake territory, we keep a lot of supplies on hand.  Much of the medical stuff I can barely use if at all, but it does help get your family treatment from a professional if you can bring extra stuff he can use to fix your people and maybe a few others. 

I learned that from hearing about Russian athletes who packed their own medical supplies when traveling in Russia in the 1990s when things were bad.  If they got injured on tour, they always had all the supplies they needed to get proper treatment, since they couldn't depend on well-stocked hospitals in those days.

Don't listen to me on this unless another health care worker confirms this with a second opinion:  But blankets, a head light, a car cell phone charger, good rope, and a decent knife/ scissors that can cut through jeans quickly might be better than a first aid kit to a first responder and more useful to a general person in an emergency anyway...at least when they are out of immediate danger.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:06:07 AM by William T »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24983 on: November 20, 2015, 11:14:23 AM »

Don't listen to me on this unless another health care worker confirms this with a second opinion:  But blankets, a head light, a car cell phone charger, good rope, and a decent knife/ scissors that can cut through jeans quickly might be better than a first aid kit to a first responder and more useful to a general person in an emergency anyway...at least when they are out of immediate danger.

This is more of what you'd really need, or this, in addition to a tourniquet.

The rest of the items should be in a bugout bag in your trunk.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #24984 on: November 21, 2015, 01:37:14 AM »
Jesse Hughes, of the band Eagles of Death Metal, has apparently been ordained as an "independent Catholic priest" by the Universal Life Church.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #24985 on: November 21, 2015, 05:14:23 AM »
Quick thought on the refugee thing that I don't think has been stated:

The US hosts tens of millions of tourists every year from everywhere.  So far as I can tell, any decent organized terrorist group can get fake passports and sneak in about 8 or 9 willing people.  That's all it would take.

If you have a group of people willing to die like that, it seems to me there is no practical way to keep them out.  Say what you will about letting refugees in or out, but that terrorists may be in the camps is NOT a good argument for any long term outlook.

I think the best refutation to my point would be that there is a higher risk or an almost guarantee we are letting in a large amount of terrorists. 

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 05:16:36 AM by William T »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24986 on: November 21, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »
Jesse Hughes, of the band Eagles of Death Metal, has apparently been ordained as an "independent Catholic priest" by the Universal Life Church.

I guess he's got something in common with Mother Bernadette Mary besides music (or something like it)...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:23:57 AM by FatherGiryus »

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #24987 on: November 22, 2015, 03:33:16 PM »
Miley Cyrus has REALLY gone off the deep end.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #24988 on: November 22, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »

Huh? Has she done something out of the ordinary lately?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #24989 on: November 22, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »

Huh? Has she done something out of the ordinary lately?

She just gave the opening performance of her Dead Petz tour....

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #24990 on: November 23, 2015, 06:00:03 PM »
I wonder how Tibetan Buddhists feel about Miley Cyrus appropriating their religious texts, especially in the context of a song like that one. (She also did a mock Tibetan singing bowl performance).

It kind of reminds me of Gordon Gano (the Violent Femmes lead singer) who was apparently a sincere Christian, yet liked to express his faith in very bizarre ways.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 06:12:06 PM by Minnesotan »

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #24991 on: November 23, 2015, 06:25:23 PM »
Quick thought on the refugee thing that I don't think has been stated:

The US hosts tens of millions of tourists every year from everywhere.  So far as I can tell, any decent organized terrorist group can get fake passports and sneak in about 8 or 9 willing people.  That's all it would take.

If you have a group of people willing to die like that, it seems to me there is no practical way to keep them out.  Say what you will about letting refugees in or out, but that terrorists may be in the camps is NOT a good argument for any long term outlook.

I think the best refutation to my point would be that there is a higher risk or an almost guarantee we are letting in a large amount of terrorists.

I have been told that in some countries it is easier to get a visa if you are Christian.  So the .govs are doing something right.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24992 on: November 27, 2015, 11:30:29 PM »
This is dated, but I still find it funny:

Also, FX created a bunch of ISIS merchandise that they now need to figure out what to do with.

“I’m one of the few people that has the white ISIS cup and it’s mixed in with all my other cups,” Walter said. “The other day, I was looking at it and thought, ‘Should I throw it out? But it reminds me of Archer.’”

From this.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:30:57 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #24993 on: November 28, 2015, 12:18:45 PM »
As an Egyptian, I wish to take the name Isis back!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #24994 on: November 28, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »
You can have it.
God bless!

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #24995 on: November 28, 2015, 09:58:01 PM »
Christmas

Best: Egg Nog

Worst: Christmas music.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #24996 on: November 28, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »
You can have it.

Just keep reminding people about THIS show.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #24997 on: November 29, 2015, 01:32:14 AM »

Homemade, yes.  Store-bought glop, no.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #24998 on: November 29, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »
You can have it.

Just keep reminding people about THIS show.
isis: dedicated foe of evil :P
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24999 on: November 30, 2015, 03:56:54 PM »
Christmas

So true!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25000 on: November 30, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »
Christmas

So true!
If Egg Nog is the best part of Christmas, I'm gonna have to go stand in line with those folk who only say Happy Holidays. Egg Nog is nasty.
God bless!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25001 on: November 30, 2015, 09:27:39 PM »
Christmas

So true!
If Egg Nog is the best part of Christmas, I'm gonna have to go stand in line with those folk who only say Happy Holidays. Egg Nog is nasty.

After the Advent Fast, Egg Nog is nectar of the divines...    ;D

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #25002 on: November 30, 2015, 11:21:08 PM »
Christmas

Hater.

You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #25003 on: November 30, 2015, 11:29:04 PM »

Sounds like somebody needs to make you some with a little extra Nog in it.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25004 on: December 01, 2015, 12:51:28 AM »
Christmas

Last Christmas,  I gave you my heart but the very next day, you gave it away. This year, to save me from tears, I'll give it to someone special.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #25005 on: December 01, 2015, 01:05:29 AM »
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
And I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25006 on: December 01, 2015, 01:22:18 AM »
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
And I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree

Oh what hast thou wrought
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25007 on: December 01, 2015, 02:02:07 AM »
kelly is preggers! Pass it on.  ;D
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25008 on: December 01, 2015, 02:04:05 AM »

No I think you misheard what I said. I said I bought Prego.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25009 on: December 01, 2015, 02:13:35 AM »

No I think you misheard what I said. I said I bought Prego.
I've already bought you diapers.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #25010 on: December 01, 2015, 03:35:31 AM »

I already did.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25011 on: December 01, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »
I don't know that you can pass pregnancy around.  It isn't a virus... it's a baby.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25012 on: December 01, 2015, 05:16:39 PM »
I don't know that you can pass pregnancy around.  It isn't a virus... it's a baby.

Well it'd have half my DNA, sooo....

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #25013 on: December 01, 2015, 05:19:11 PM »

Well it'd have half my DNA, sooo....

Nah.
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #25014 on: December 01, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »

But you can pass the baby around.......happens a lot at church. ;)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25015 on: December 01, 2015, 05:47:17 PM »
This is all a moot point anyway since I am NOT with child!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #25016 on: December 01, 2015, 05:50:29 PM »

The lady doth protest too much!
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #25017 on: December 01, 2015, 07:07:31 PM »

In Soviet Kelly...
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #25018 on: December 01, 2015, 10:51:42 PM »
So apparently Bob the Tomato is posting on these forums now.

Looks like Frederica Mathewes-Green got to him!

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #25019 on: December 01, 2015, 11:03:47 PM »
So apparently Bob the Tomato is posting on these forums now.

Looks like Frederica Mathewes-Green got to him!

Well since the fast just started for those of us on the Old Calendar, so I propose as this as the official Lenten season theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI9yvAx3uCQ

He said to her, "I'd like a cheeseburger
And I might like a milkshake as well"
She said to him, "I can't give you either"
He said, "Isn't this Burger Bell?"

She said," Yes it is but we're closed now
But we open tomorrow at 10"
He said, " I am extremely hungry
But I guess I can wait until then"

'Cause you're his cheeseburger
His yummy cheeseburger
He'll wait for yo-u, yeah