Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 1982278 times)

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #9945 on: September 18, 2011, 03:23:01 PM »

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #9946 on: September 18, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »

I'm going to need this.

Offline celticfan1888

• Production Operator - Chemtrusion
  • Archon
« Reply #9947 on: September 18, 2011, 03:58:40 PM »
Forgive my sins.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
  • Back by unpopular demand.
« Reply #9948 on: September 18, 2011, 08:08:47 PM »

Love it!

This was quite an interesting weekend. Hubby and I are now sick and worn out, but it was a very busy weekend. Among the festivities that occurred was going shooting for the first time...I already know what type of gun I want to first purchase for myself (well, the basic type)! I'm not going to say it was easy, though. I was terrified when they first handed me a handgun. Everyone thought that I was "kidding" when I told them that I was born into an anti-gun Asian family and had never held a firearm in my life until I took the first shot (it was a foot high off the target). They gave me the safety lecture and told me how to aim, but some of the guys said they thought I had at least shot once or twice....obviously they are not from the north. ;)

It was a lot of fun to shoot targets, though. Apparently a lot of the guys and gals do that around here on the weekends.

Now I have to do the work I've been putting off all weekend. Lovely. I hope that this upcoming week will be more calm, especially since I feel terrible. No time to be sick with publishing week coming ahead. :(
She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right

Offline JamesRottnek

• Protokentarchos
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #9949 on: September 18, 2011, 08:51:01 PM »
Does anyone here have a blog? Roll call.

I've been working on a project, but it deals with cosmetics, so I doubt that 99.9% of the board would be interested in reading it. LOL. But I do want to read OC.net users' blogs.

Speaking of blogs, would anyone read one if I started one?

NI!

??? I wish I spoke a foreign language...
I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9950 on: September 18, 2011, 08:53:23 PM »
Is Azurestone speaking Ukrainian!

You should totally try, JamesRottnek. Even self-teaching is better (sometimes) than not knowing anything at all. When I have nothing to do, I have a pile of French, Hebrew, etc. workbooks at my disposal. My knowledge is a perfect mishmash but I hope to hit fluency on one of them someday. My professors told me to just pick one language, but I'm ADD in everything, even foreign language study. Just trying to stick to Arabic and Spanish now...

PS YES I will read anyone's blog. If any females are interested in reading about the beauty industry, PM me and hopefully I can provide a link once I get this project off the ground (if I have TIME).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:54:04 PM by IsmiLiora »
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9951 on: September 18, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Does anyone here have a blog? Roll call.

I've been working on a project, but it deals with cosmetics, so I doubt that 99.9% of the board would be interested in reading it. LOL. But I do want to read OC.net users' blogs.

Speaking of blogs, would anyone read one if I started one?

NI!

??? I wish I spoke a foreign language...

Give it 20 years and you will be.
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9952 on: September 18, 2011, 09:10:19 PM »
Wait, I forgot my ultimate brag for this weekend: I actually shot a X (on the paper "human" targets) from 50 feet away. I am keeping the paper for posterity. I am too much of a lady to reveal that my other shots were wildly inconsistent, although half of them were kill shots. (The guys were laughing at me and saying that I sounded like the people giving commentaries on "Deadliest Warrior." Yeah, probably.)

Okay, now I gotta get off this board and start working! OC.net, why can't I quit you?
--
--

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #9953 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »
Hey!

Ismi!

I'm going to need this.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9954 on: September 18, 2011, 09:14:14 PM »
Que pasaaaa
--
--

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #9955 on: September 18, 2011, 09:26:01 PM »

I'm going to need this.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9956 on: September 18, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9957 on: September 18, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »
LOVED that commercial.
--
--

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #9958 on: September 18, 2011, 09:32:20 PM »

I started this thread, but I am sure that I am not an alien
(though I can play a Vulcan on the 'net)

;D
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #9959 on: September 18, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
Aliens.

I'm going to need this.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9960 on: September 18, 2011, 09:43:33 PM »
Aliens.

I believe you just unlocked the mysteries of the universe!

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #9961 on: September 18, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »
Wait, I forgot my ultimate brag for this weekend: I actually shot a X (on the paper "human" targets) from 50 feet away. I am keeping the paper for posterity. I am too much of a lady to reveal that my other shots were wildly inconsistent, although half of them were kill shots. (The guys were laughing at me and saying that I sounded like the people giving commentaries on "Deadliest Warrior." Yeah, probably.)

Okay, now I gotta get off this board and start working! OC.net, why can't I quit you?

Put a shot on the X at 50'?  With a pistol?  If so you are beating me.  I can't hit a bullseye at 20' let along 50', though with the Peacemaker I can get all into the head at 20'.  Now, with the AK I can do bullseyes at 20' and with the Mosin at 50'.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:32:51 PM by vamrat »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9962 on: September 18, 2011, 10:37:30 PM »

Put a shot on the X at 50'?  With a pistol?  If so you are beating me.  I can't hit a bullseye at 20' let along 50', though with the Peacemaker I can get all into the head at 20'.  Now, with the AK I can do bullseyes at 20' and with the Mosin at 50'.
I was shooting a .22 rifle, not a pistol. I don't know what the pistol was (.46, .48? They were all clamoring after the first shot, telling me that I shouldn't have taken my first shot with that handgun -- I REALLY missed but I wanted to get my first shot off because I was so nervous). There was a scope but it wasn't too great because of my glasses. I have a hard time seeing through binoculars or scopes in general with my glasses on, so I tried to aim it in the general direction to shoot.

I wish I had contacts again...I wonder if that would make a difference.

I'm pretty sure it was a lucky shot, though.  :laugh: But some of the others were also close to the X, so it wasn't completely a fluke.
--
--

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #9963 on: September 18, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »

I was shooting a .22 rifle, not a pistol. I don't know what the pistol was (.46, .48? They were all clamoring after the first shot, telling me that I shouldn't have taken my first shot with that handgun -- I REALLY missed but I wanted to get my first shot off because I was so nervous). There was a scope but it wasn't too great because of my glasses. I have a hard time seeing through binoculars or scopes in general with my glasses on, so I tried to aim it in the general direction to shoot.

I wish I had contacts again...I wonder if that would make a difference.

I'm pretty sure it was a lucky shot, though.  :laugh: But some of the others were also close to the X, so it wasn't completely a fluke.

.22's are a good gun to learn on.  You don't get a flinch that way.  I shot a few guns when I was young, but when I really started learning I started on a .38 special and the 7.62x54R Mosin rifle.  After that nothing ever kicks again.

Did they try teaching you to shoot on a .45?  Ugh.  When I took my gf out shooting back in the day she used a .22 then a .38.  She was scared on the Tokarev so never fired that.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Andrew Crook

• formerly known as AveChriste11
  • High Elder
« Reply #9964 on: September 19, 2011, 01:02:27 AM »
IT'S 12:00 AM, do you know where your children are at?  :police: :D :D
Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity

Offline JamesRottnek

• Protokentarchos
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #9965 on: September 19, 2011, 01:10:31 AM »
IT'S 12:00 AM, do you know where your children are at?  :police: :D :D

It's ten o'clock.  They're probably out smoking pot and driving.
I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #9966 on: September 19, 2011, 01:50:45 AM »
OC.net, why can't I quit you?

Because you like staring at my picture...and that's okay.  ;)
Forgive my sins.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9967 on: September 19, 2011, 02:01:37 AM »
Yet another night slowly passes, with me wanting to go to bed, but still staying up "just 2 more minutes" to see if there are any new posts. Of course 2 minutes becomes 20 minutes before I realise it...

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9968 on: September 19, 2011, 02:02:05 AM »
OC.net, why can't I quit you?

Because you like staring at my picture...and that's okay.  ;)
Oh come on, don't MAKE me be mean to you!
--
--

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9969 on: September 19, 2011, 02:09:17 AM »

Look into his eyes and say that!

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9970 on: September 19, 2011, 07:50:38 AM »
I'm getting sleepy......very sleepy.....

My sinuses and throat hate me today. I also feel like I have a fever. Husband keeps tell me to take the day off, but I feel like I can never do that. Cutting my workload in half should really help, though...
--
--

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #9971 on: September 19, 2011, 08:44:45 AM »
True story.

Last Saturday my friend made a Halloween themed 10-year-old birthday party for her daughter. I know Halloween is far away, but her daughter wanted a Halloween party so...

Well, since last year I play the "monster" of the party. It's like the clown that goes to entertain the kids only that it's a spawn of darkness bent on destroying their bodies and souls. And they think it's fun.

Last year I was a brain-eating zombie and this year I was Count Zecula, uncle of Edward. Interestingly, when I claimed I wanted to drink all their blood and turn them into vampires the kids were more then happy to offer necks and wrists. That was sort of a turn off. I thought then, what horrible threat I could make to scare them. Actually that was the whole point of the thing, they wanted me to run after then, but it needed a good excuse. Then I got it. I said that I wanted a bride to go back with me to Transylvania to marry me and a slave to work for me - I had to scare both girls and boys after all. *That* worked.

So, that's the lesson of the weekend about the younger generations: sell your soul to the infernal forces of darkness in exchange for being a glamourous and powerful undead? H**l, yeah! Marriage and work? Run for you lives!

By the way, after about an hour of running, three little girls decided they actually wanted to marry the vampire. There was a small cemetary in the garden and one of the boys was the priest. The unholly alliance was celebrated there and right after the "yeses" the "wives" started demanding that I had to cook, iron, do the laundry and do all the chores. Besides, if we were moving to Transyvalnia, they would not accept economic class for the trip (they actually said this!) but only the richest one. And I'd better cut their nails(!), comb their hairs and obey them or they would divorce me and take my money (yep, they also said this!)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:54:59 AM by Fabio Leite »
Many energies, three persons, two natures, one God, one Church, one Baptism.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #9972 on: September 19, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »

Look into his eyes and say that!

Celtic - this is reason #2 why there are no Vamrat pictures here.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #9973 on: September 19, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »
Forgive my sins.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #9974 on: September 19, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »

Whats the worst you can say, "You are so handsome...and rude!"?  :police:
Forgive my sins.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #9975 on: September 19, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »

I'm going to need this.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9976 on: September 19, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »
That's atrocious.

And with that comment you unwittingly speak of the perversity that resides in your deepest being.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #9977 on: September 20, 2011, 05:07:37 AM »
Powers Boothe is one of the most underrated actors in the world. Anyone that can play the roles of Jim Jones (Guyana Tragedy), Alexander Haig (Nixon), Curly Bill (Tombstone) and a gay hankerchief salesman (Cruising) deserves props!

Selam
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9978 on: September 20, 2011, 07:37:26 AM »

.22's are a good gun to learn on.  You don't get a flinch that way.  I shot a few guns when I was young, but when I really started learning I started on a .38 special and the 7.62x54R Mosin rifle.  After that nothing ever kicks again.

Did they try teaching you to shoot on a .45?  Ugh.  When I took my gf out shooting back in the day she used a .22 then a .38.  She was scared on the Tokarev so never fired that.
That was the good thing about .22s. I was deathly afraid with the recoil in any gun, but they assured me that the .22 was really easy to handle, and it was. Mr. Ismi and the other guys were firing these insane shotguns and stumbling back when they first shot slugs. They said it wasn't TOO bad, but there was no way I was shooting that as a first-timer!

The handgun was somewhere close to a .50, they told me. But like I said, the owner thought that I was kidding about never having fired a gun before. Thank goodness I was very careful about it! I was worried all day that I was going to pull a Dick Cheney or shoot my foot off.

Finally, feeling a bit better. Whoo.
--
--

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #9979 on: September 20, 2011, 09:34:50 AM »

.22's are a good gun to learn on.  You don't get a flinch that way.  I shot a few guns when I was young, but when I really started learning I started on a .38 special and the 7.62x54R Mosin rifle.  After that nothing ever kicks again.

Did they try teaching you to shoot on a .45?  Ugh.  When I took my gf out shooting back in the day she used a .22 then a .38.  She was scared on the Tokarev so never fired that.
That was the good thing about .22s. I was deathly afraid with the recoil in any gun, but they assured me that the .22 was really easy to handle, and it was. Mr. Ismi and the other guys were firing these insane shotguns and stumbling back when they first shot slugs. They said it wasn't TOO bad, but there was no way I was shooting that as a first-timer!

The handgun was somewhere close to a .50, they told me. But like I said, the owner thought that I was kidding about never having fired a gun before. Thank goodness I was very careful about it! I was worried all day that I was going to pull a Dick Cheney or shoot my foot off.

Finally, feeling a bit better. Whoo.

Probably (hopefully) not a .50.  .45 is "close" but still.  I've held a .50 Desert Eagle, but that's as cool as I ever want to get!

I took one of the ladies at work and her husband shooting once.  That was a harrowing experience.  I let her shoot a .357 Magnum with .38s loaded since it would have low recoil.  What I did not take into consideration was that the gun was big for MY hands.  She could barely hold the thing.  Then she fired it and dropped it.  I caught it before it hit (frankly I would rather have gotten shot than have such a beautiful gun hit the floor).  Her husband was firing cowboy style until I begged him to stop (hold gun with arm at 90 degree angle, cock with finger near enough to trigger that it could be on, THEN aim downrange).  I always wondered how the ceiling at the range had gotten holes in it...

My girlfriend was much less harrowing.  She fired a .22 revolver first, then graduated to the .38 special.  She outright refused to fire "the guns where the bullet comes out the top" meaning an automatic.  And also did not want to fire the AK-47 because "they are scary and kick too much".  Then some 12-year old comes out while we were packing up and starts talking excitedly to his friend "dad let me fire the AK. It was awesome!  It didn't kick at all!"  Smug smile - engage.

Last shooting story, then I will stop hogging the random postings with random gun stories...  Shotguns kick.  Alot.  But their recoil is manageable when you have the proper motivation...like impressing girls.  My buddy and I were out shooting at the range and this pink-shirted fellow comes in, dragging his girlfriend along.  She sat in the back bored out of her wits while he made her watch him plinking away with his .22 then his 9mm.  I had my dad's 3-1/2" Magnum shotgun with slug barrel on so I could test the sights...and was putting it off as long as I could.  I decided she could use some excitement so I pulled it out and very visibly got out the ammo - the shells are shiny red plastic and longer and thicker than a normal man's finger.  She was just goggle-eyed when she saw the shells.  I gave her a wink and then unloaded the thing down range - all five rounds in about as many seconds.  I am not entirely sure if I hit the target or not, and I think my heart stopped once or twice...but I didn't fall over.  Packed up and left with the angry scowl of her boyfriend following me out.  Then I got into the hallway and died.  Moral of the story is, don't shoot a gun to look cool, and if you do, for Charlton Heston's sake don't use a .22 or a 9mm!  The guy next to you might have a 12 ga. 3-1/2" Magnum with slugs.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:40:00 AM by vamrat »

Offline Andrew Crook

• formerly known as AveChriste11
  • High Elder
« Reply #9980 on: September 20, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »
Scooby-Dooby-Doo, Where Are You?
We got some work to do now.
Scooby-Dooby-Doo, Where Are You?
We need some help from you now.

Come on Scooby-Doo, I see you... pretending you got a sliver
But you're not fooling me, cause I can see, the way you shake and shiver.

You know we got a mystery to solve,
So Scooby Doo be ready for your act. [Scooby Doo] Uh-uh Uh-uh
Don't hold back!
And Scooby Doo if you come through
you're going to have yourself a scooby snack!
That's a fact!

Scooby-Dooby-Doo, here Are You.
You're ready and you're willing.
If we can count on you Scooby Doo,
I know you'll catch that villian.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
« Reply #9981 on: September 20, 2011, 04:00:34 PM »
That's atrocious.

And with that comment you unwittingly speak of the perversity that resides in your deepest being.

Sounds like Calvinism to me.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9982 on: September 20, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
That's atrocious.

Sounds like Calvinism to me.

I don't think I'm predestined to choose that path. After all, I'm from the country or Arminia.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9983 on: September 20, 2011, 05:39:29 PM »
Vamrat, I likes your gun stories! And yes, they were shooting a 12 gauge, too. That baby is ours. I just remembered. (I keep trying to remember what guns they are shooting now. Not working so well, obviously!) Haha, when they first shot the slugs out of that gun, it was hilarious. They weren't even trying to aim for the first couple of shots either. Those bullets were scary as heck.

Finished an article, but unfortunately have to work for a bit around 8 because of a big interview. Sigh.  :-\

I can't think of anything more random, except that I am now wishing that I majored in something cerebral like Women's Studies or ethnography, since a large portion of my reading material deals with that. WHY did I think that politics was the way to go?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:40:03 PM by IsmiLiora »
--
--

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #9984 on: September 20, 2011, 05:55:50 PM »
Politics can be interesting.  It's kinda like war, except that old farts do it instead of young'uns.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9985 on: September 20, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Politics can be interesting.  It's kinda like war, except that old farts do it instead of young'uns.
LOL. I find it too depressing. At least war is more straightforward about its ambitions....well, sometimes.

I just didn't anticipate coming out of college and having almost no idea what my political affiliation was anymore, nor caring, really. I like reading about current events, but the lives of people and how they're affected by the events interest me far more. *headdesk*
--
--

Offline username!

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9986 on: September 20, 2011, 06:31:50 PM »
Random postings---- only now 14 posts away from hitting the 10,000 tick!

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #9987 on: September 20, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
Random postings---- only now 14 posts away from hitting the 10,000 tick!
And 76 users on line waiting to post at the crucial moment! I'll be humble and let someone else take the honours :angel:.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #9988 on: September 20, 2011, 06:40:40 PM »
LOL. I find it too depressing. At least war is more straightforward about its ambitions....well, sometimes.

I just didn't anticipate coming out of college and having almost no idea what my political affiliation was anymore, nor caring, really. I like reading about current events, but the lives of people and how they're affected by the events interest me far more. *headdesk*

Not knowing what your political affiliation is, eh?  Then you're one step closer to wisdom.  If you knew what political affiliation you were I would assume that you were licking a window at the time you figured it out!   ;D

And here's me doing my part to getting the random postings to 10k!

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
« Reply #9989 on: September 20, 2011, 06:45:15 PM »
The heart itself is but a small vessel, yet dragons are there, and there are also lions; there are poisonous beasts and all the treasures of evil. But there too is God, the angels, the life and the kingdom, the light and the apostles, the heavenly cities and the treasuries of grace—all things are there. -St. Macarius