Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 1981148 times)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #9225 on: April 10, 2011, 01:34:46 AM »
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9226 on: April 10, 2011, 01:38:12 AM »
Entscheidungsproblem,

What does your avatar symbolize or mean?

http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Independent_Planets

It is just the patch Brown Coats wore in Firefly.

Shiny!

One of the best shows in the 'Verse.
Started watching it last night. It's pretty rutting awesome.

Cudda been Whedon best stuff. Watch the series then the movie. Big Whedon fan here (not so much with the Doll House, although the unaired episode which showed where the series would've went showed that perhaps it had some promise. Dushku just ain't the actress who could pull of the range of the role she was cast in though.)

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
  • Back by unpopular demand.
« Reply #9227 on: April 10, 2011, 01:45:59 AM »
Dollhouse had some great promise, but I completely agree that Eliza Dushku did not have the acting chops at all. I knew that it was going to fail when we got an intro of Eliza with tank top, Eliza as dominatrix, Eliza naked. She couldn't carry the series on her shoulders, absolutely not.

On the other hand, Enver Gjokaj was A-MA-ZING. When he was Topher? Brilliant acting.
She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9228 on: April 10, 2011, 02:05:03 AM »
we got an intro of Eliza with tank top, Eliza as dominatrix, Eliza naked.

I have not heard of this, but you have my attention now!  :P
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9229 on: April 10, 2011, 02:09:37 AM »
Dollhouse had some great promise, but I completely agree that Eliza Dushku did not have the acting chops at all. I knew that it was going to fail when we got an intro of Eliza with tank top, Eliza as dominatrix, Eliza naked. She couldn't carry the series on her shoulders, absolutely not.

On the other hand, Enver Gjokaj was A-MA-ZING. When he was Topher? Brilliant acting.

Yipes, I mistyped. Was just discussing a potential film adaptation of Ibsen's work tonight.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:09:56 AM by orthonorm »

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9230 on: April 10, 2011, 02:24:41 AM »

I have not heard of this, but you have my attention now!  :P
orthonorm, at first I thought that you meant that Eliza was going to star in a film adaptation of the Doll House and I actually went to check IMDB!  :o Thank God that is not happening, ha ha.

And Asteriktos, I know a few male fans of the show who watched just for Eliza, obviously that's why the 1st season intro was just all about her in various stages of undress. I know they are tired of me griping about how her acting skills.  ;D "Shut up and watch the show!!" I HATE bad acting but the story line was intriguing so that did keep me for a bit.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9231 on: April 10, 2011, 02:28:22 AM »

I have not heard of this, but you have my attention now!  :P
orthonorm, at first I thought that you meant that Eliza was going to star in a film adaptation of the Doll House and I actually went to check IMDB!  :o Thank God that is not happening, ha ha.

Can't say much about it. The funding ain't fully secure and most of the players haven't completely committed but she will have nothing to do with it.

She was Faith. And that was good in both series.

I think we are five by five on this one, I.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:28:54 AM by orthonorm »

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9232 on: April 11, 2011, 10:04:23 AM »

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9233 on: April 11, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »
Watched Jesus Camp with my raised-Pentecostal husband last night and didn't sleep very well at all.  :-\

Even at my most charismatic "peak," I would have never raised my children like that or permitted them to attend such a camp, but I cried last night, wondering why I had stayed so long when I harbored serious doubts from the very beginning -- I was tricked into being saved, and I knew it.

:(
--
--

Offline CBGardner

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience
« Reply #9234 on: April 11, 2011, 02:09:59 PM »
Watched Jesus Camp with my raised-Pentecostal husband last night and didn't sleep very well at all.  :-\

Usually Christians don't get the benefit of the doubt in movies, but this film I thought was pretty fair. It was entertaining but wouldn't go for a second watch or a recommendation.

I feel similarly cheated at times. That all my life I've been led to believe something was Christianity only to find out it really isn't. And as you said, there are serious issues/red flags the whole way, but what can you do. I thank the Lord that truth wins out in the end.
Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #9235 on: April 11, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »
Why is it that stuff always comes up right before Holy Week.  >:(
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9236 on: April 11, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »

Usually Christians don't get the benefit of the doubt in movies, but this film I thought was pretty fair. It was entertaining but wouldn't go for a second watch or a recommendation.

I feel similarly cheated at times. That all my life I've been led to believe something was Christianity only to find out it really isn't. And as you said, there are serious issues/red flags the whole way, but what can you do. I thank the Lord that truth wins out in the end.
Yeah, it was really weird...I usually trash documentaries, but after it ended, my husband and I just looked at each other. Besides from the talking to the cardboard Bush part, we had seen almost every aspect of the movie in our own churches. He said that it reminded him too much of his own upbringing and riled up some anger against his own parents.  :-\

Kind of wish that we didn't watch it, but it opened our eyes even more and I am thanking God constantly that He led me to Orthodoxy. If that's what it had to take, so be it.

Like you said, it hurts because we thought that it was Christianity, but let me tell you, watching those children speaking in tongues, convulsing, and getting red in the face....my body tensed, I felt goosebumps erupt all over my body, and I was just weeping. That didn't look like God to me at all- I couldn't believe that I was there just a few years ago. Yoy.

On a lighter note...I can't think of one. Feels like one of those days where everything is going wrong, spiritually. Lord have mercy.

--
--

Offline CBGardner

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience
« Reply #9237 on: April 11, 2011, 05:28:05 PM »
... and I am thanking God constantly that He led me to Orthodoxy. If that's what it had to take, so be it.

Amen!
And may we all finish out lent strong and faithful. Lord have mercy!
Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #9238 on: April 14, 2011, 01:50:46 AM »

Even at my most charismatic "peak," I would have never raised my children like that or permitted them to attend such a camp, but I cried last night, wondering why I had stayed so long when I harbored serious doubts from the very beginning -- I was tricked into being saved, and I knew it.

:(

The past is the past, dear friend. Yesterday is a bounced check, tomorrow is a promissary note. Today is cash...use it!  8)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #9239 on: April 14, 2011, 06:13:14 AM »
The hockey playoffs are finally underway.   ;D
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9240 on: April 14, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
The past is the past, dear friend. Yesterday is a bounced check, tomorrow is a promissary note. Today is cash...use it!  8)
Thank you!  :) Indeed, I am very excited about tomorrow.

Had a not-so-great night last night, but some reading out of Met. Kallistos' book and some prayer greatly lifted my spirits. I'm ready for this day to be better...if it's even just spiritually!

Don't like that the weather is so lovely outside (70s, 80s) and I have to stay inside and work all day. I also have bad allergies so I can't open the windows, even after a Claritin.  :-\
--
--

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #9241 on: April 14, 2011, 01:57:05 PM »
Don't like that the weather is so lovely outside (70s, 80s) and I have to stay inside and work all day. I also have bad allergies so I can't open the windows, even after a Claritin.  :-\

Have you tried Alavert?  It's the only thing that works for me, besides Nyquil/Benadryl, and those only work because they render me unconscious. 
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9242 on: April 14, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »
Haven't tried Alavert yet. I'm thinking of picking up a new medication this week. I'll check it out (I was also thinking about Allegra).

Same here with Benadryl! It works wonders, and by wonders, I mean that I am pretty much rendered useless for the next few days. It triggers my fibro symptoms badly. I only take it when I have a bad reaction to mosquito bites and benadryl cream isn't enough...
--
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9243 on: April 14, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
Haven't tried Alavert yet. I'm thinking of picking up a new medication this week. I'll check it out (I was also thinking about Allegra).

Same here with Benadryl! It works wonders, and by wonders, I mean that I am pretty much rendered useless for the next few days. It triggers my fibro symptoms badly. I only take it when I have a bad reaction to mosquito bites and benadryl cream isn't enough...

I am Mr. Paradoxical Reactions. Benadryl is a stimulant for me.

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #9244 on: April 14, 2011, 03:39:24 PM »
Bring back winter; it is far too hot outside.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #9245 on: April 14, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »

Blasphemy! Today is the first nice day we've had all year!
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9246 on: April 14, 2011, 04:36:24 PM »
Give me an ice cold Pepsi and I am good to go.  8)

I want to move to Mexico.
--
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9247 on: April 14, 2011, 05:06:15 PM »

With you. 30F > 80F in my subjective maths.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9248 on: April 14, 2011, 05:09:31 PM »

I WISH Benadryl would keep me awake!

Does day time medication knock you out? That's happened to me a few times. I once took Tylenol cold AM and fell asleep during Arabic class. Oops. It's happened a few other times, but I have no idea what determines that...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:09:57 PM by IsmiLiora »
--
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9249 on: April 14, 2011, 09:33:34 PM »

I WISH Benadryl would keep me awake!

Does day time medication knock you out? That's happened to me a few times. I once took Tylenol cold AM and fell asleep during Arabic class. Oops. It's happened a few other times, but I have no idea what determines that...

My rarefied nervous system has yet to find the substance that can knock me out. At one time some opiates could, but no longer and many of those I am allergic too nowadays. Shot opiates for a while when young then stopped because frankly it was pretty boring. Had oral surgery for wisdom teeth extraction later and I blew up and had to go to the hospital after taking a pittance of opiates. Very embarrassing.

Had to go through twilight sedation for an angiogram. They couldn't put enough benzos and barbs into me to put me into a sedate state. My respiratory rate got too low to take any more and I was a very chatty, yet relaxed, and annoying patient I am sure. Took the edge of having to watch my arteries and heart in HD thankfully.

The nurse assured my friends who were to take me home, I would eventually hit a "wall" and pass out from the sedation and surgery. That happend about 60 hours later. Was high and ready to go for a few days without much sleep.

Next time, I am asking for ketamine. Didn't do much of it to develop any great tolerance and did it a long time ago as a youngster as it was easy to get from folks who made their living off of large animals. K is what they give to kids for the most part due to easier dosing, so that is my choice next time.

There aren't enough benzos in the world to put me under, well unless it is enough to kill me. Even then it would be a heroic amount. Stopping them though is life threatening if you are hooked. It is serious drug like alcohol. No piker stuff like heroin or coke.

Did pop a handful of amitriptyline once, knocked me out for a few hours only to wake into a fugue state. Made for some awesome middle of the night phone conversations evidently.

Amitriptyline might be the sleep drug of choice for little old ladies but is easy to OD on. One of the drugs I would not counsel most kids not to swipe from Granny's medicine cabinet and eat like candy.

If anyone has any drug or alcohol problems feel free to PM for suggestions on stopping or taking the edge off or adding to it.

If this is too explicit, feel free to wipe, mods.

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9250 on: April 15, 2011, 01:31:56 AM »
I love the way back machine :) I never thought I'd see my old site from 2004-2006 again, but there it is, in all it's... well... ugliness :D

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9251 on: April 15, 2011, 08:08:51 AM »
Yes! Bow before Vader! Join him! And you will become stronger than anyone could possibly imagine! Mwahahaha!

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9252 on: April 15, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »
I love the way back machine :) I never thought I'd see my old site from 2004-2006 again, but there it is, in all it's... well... ugliness :D
Geocities? Angelfire?  ;)
--
--

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9253 on: April 15, 2011, 08:46:45 AM »
No, but equally horrid in looks, navigation, etc.  :D Here's a snapshot of the homepage from 2004.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9254 on: April 15, 2011, 08:48:40 AM »
No, but equally horrid in looks, navigation, etc.  :D Here's a snapshot of the homepage from 2004.
Oh, if you could see my first webpage in 1999. (To be fair, I WAS 11.)
--
--

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #9255 on: April 15, 2011, 11:30:37 AM »
It isn't quite winter, but it is currently 1C out right now.  Much better.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9256 on: April 15, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »

I would think just about any webpage at that age would be respectable. When I was 11 I was too busy playing with Lego and G.I. Joes to be involved in all that fancy smansy computer stuff. 

It isn't quite winter, but it is currently 1C out right now.  Much better.

C? What's that in real temperature numbers, like good old fair-n-hite?  :P

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9257 on: April 15, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »

I would think just about any webpage at that age would be respectable. When I was 11 I was too busy playing with Lego and G.I. Joes to be involved in all that fancy smansy computer stuff. 

Well I was growing up at the age when more and more people started to have computers in their homes, around America Online 2.0 or so. We were the beginning of the computer-obsessed generation, and I ended up teaching my parents how to use it.  :D Sad to say that I didn't learn much more HTML than I did when I was 11. Things have been moving so quickly!

Just got my federal tax refund!!! My accountant told me that the gov't basically took pity on us because we were in a "certain income tax bracket" (her euphemism for POOR) and married. Hey, we need to attend to the car so Glory to God for that.  8)
--
--

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #9258 on: April 15, 2011, 01:08:28 PM »
Whhhooo I just have to say this, I posted a quote from of Frank Schaeffer's Crazy for God and he commented on my blog page! He just said thanks for reading the book, but I always get a kick out of authors doing that.

The other time that happened was when I posted an entry about a dairy-free cookbook that my friends gave me for Christmas one year. The author actually wrote me a long detailed comment about my review and made suggestions for my diet. She never identified herself as the author, but I knew it was her!

Teh interwebz is strange stuff sometimes.

ETA: I have to post the quote. It was too good. (I just stopped myself from e-mailing it to all of my charismatic/pentecostal friends.)

"The logic of those prayers, if one was reading between the lines, was something like this:

'Dear Heavenly Father, in Your Word You say that when two or three are gathered together, You will be in the midst of them. Well, we're gathered here, so do what we're telling You to do because we have You over a barrel and can quote Your own books back at you! And in case You're thinking of weaseling out of this deal, we claim Your promises, and because You can't break any of those since You wrote it all in the Bible, You'll do what we say, and You'll do it NOW! AMEN!'"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:11:13 PM by IsmiLiora »
--
--

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #9259 on: April 15, 2011, 01:22:41 PM »
C? What's that in real temperature numbers, like good old fair-n-hite?  :P
So you're still on the Old Thermometer  ;)?!?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #9260 on: April 15, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »
I saw an aptly named beer during a stroll through one of my favorite grocery stores this morning: Wilco Tango Foxtrot, by Lagunitas Brewery. :D
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline chrevbel

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #9261 on: April 15, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »
So you're still on the Old Thermometer  ;)?!?
Just thank you for not saying Old Thermometist.

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9262 on: April 15, 2011, 09:03:14 PM »
People suck.
Matushkas are people.
Therefore Matushkas suck.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #9263 on: April 15, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »

???
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9264 on: April 15, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #9265 on: April 16, 2011, 12:34:40 AM »
People suck.
Matushkas are people.

That's nice of you.  ::)

You do realize that you're a person, too? Which leads to...

???
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #9266 on: April 16, 2011, 12:36:08 AM »
People suck.
Matushkas are people.

That's nice of you.  ::)

You do realize that you're a person, too? Which leads to...

???
"There's a sucker born every minute."  - P. T. Barnum (?)
Not all who wander are lost.

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9267 on: April 16, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »
Sorry, please ignore my venting :)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #9268 on: April 16, 2011, 12:55:23 AM »

First kiss, always awkward...   :)

--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9269 on: April 16, 2011, 01:16:06 AM »

First kiss, always awkward...   :)

The fact I chuckled at that is going to set me back in therapy about seven and half years. *shame*