Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2076916 times)

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #8640 on: December 16, 2010, 09:18:58 PM »
不是技術很好嗎?

http://translate.google.com/

'Not technology great?' ;)

Good rule of thumb, when using Google translate, take the output, put it back into translate and make sure it comes out pretty close to your input. If it doesn't adjust your grammar and syntax in the original input to make it closer to the language you're translating to and try again. Using this method you can get much better quality translations.

Ya, I did but I thought it would be kind of humorous...I guess the word 'is' got removed from isn't, but I thought it was mostly intelligible...perhaps not :p

It was intelligible...and humorous if done intentionally. ;)
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #8641 on: December 17, 2010, 12:17:18 AM »
GiC, did the Sheldon and The Big Bang Theory borrow your avatar ?
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #8642 on: December 17, 2010, 12:36:18 AM »
GiC, did the Sheldon and The Big Bang Theory borrow your avatar ?

I hope not, I wouldn't want a lowly physicist based on me. ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:36:40 AM by GiC »
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #8643 on: December 17, 2010, 01:07:02 AM »
Oh no, he's a theoretical physicist...
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #8644 on: December 17, 2010, 01:57:51 AM »

Eh, theoretical physics isn't based on an axiomatic system...might as well be ceramics.

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #8645 on: December 17, 2010, 01:58:43 AM »
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #8646 on: December 17, 2010, 02:05:18 AM »
As the old saying goes,

Biologists aspire to be Chemists.
Chemists aspire to be Physicists.
Physicists aspire to be God.
And God aspires to be a Mathematician.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8647 on: December 17, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »

You don't have enough screen space to see how to the right Philosophers are.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8648 on: December 17, 2010, 12:03:38 PM »

Eh, theoretical physics isn't based on an axiomatic system...might as well be ceramics.

Did I miss something and someone successfully and non-trivially axiomatized arithmetic?
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #8649 on: December 17, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »

Did I miss something and someone successfully and non-trivially axiomatized arithmetic?

Giuseppe Peano.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #8650 on: December 17, 2010, 01:33:15 PM »
Probably one of the coolest animals I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLdQ3UhLoD4

Searching online for this something called "Kong Kang" and it turned out Malaysian for Slow Lorris.  I wonder if "King Kong" was Malaysian for gigantic gorilla?

Anyway, turned out my search was wrong.  Anyone know this card game called "Kon Kan" or "Con Kan" or whatever variant it can be?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:35:14 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #8651 on: December 17, 2010, 01:42:20 PM »

You don't have enough screen space to see how to the right Philosophers are.

Reminds me of an old joke,

A physics professor comes to his dean and says: 'We need another million dollars to upgrade our particle accelerator.' Dean moans: 'Why can't you guys be like folks from math department? They only need are pens, paper, and wastebaskets.' The professor replies: 'Did you mean folks from philosophy department? They only need pens and paper.'

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
« Reply #8652 on: December 17, 2010, 02:03:39 PM »
When I visit a GOA church and someone asks me if I am Greek, how much Greek do I need to have in my ancestry to be able to honestly answer yes?

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8653 on: December 17, 2010, 03:33:56 PM »

Giuseppe Peano.

Seriously now. Something that has withstood Frege, Whitehead and Russell, and Goedel.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8654 on: December 17, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »
When I visit a GOA church and someone asks me if I am Greek, how much Greek do I need to have in my ancestry to be able to honestly answer yes?

Tell them them their mother is a Turk. That should prove it.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #8655 on: December 17, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »

Giuseppe Peano.

Seriously now. Something that has withstood Frege, Whitehead and Russell, and Goedel.

There is no evidence to suggest the axioms are inconsistent and incomplete does not, by any stretch of the imagination, imply trivial.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #8656 on: December 17, 2010, 04:39:43 PM »

I'm going to need this.

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
« Reply #8657 on: December 17, 2010, 08:15:46 PM »

I was hoping for a more genealogical, less suicidal answer, but thanks!  ;D

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8658 on: December 18, 2010, 02:07:49 AM »

I was hoping for a more genealogical, less suicidal answer, but thanks!  ;D

But it is. Nothing is more Greek than questioning the purity of another's Greek ancestry (even your question suggests as much), especially when it comes to miscegenation of the Turkish (formerly Persian) variety. I think it has been going on literally since the beginning of history.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #8659 on: December 18, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »

I'm going to need this.

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #8660 on: December 18, 2010, 12:22:23 PM »
test
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline testuser

« Reply #8661 on: December 18, 2010, 12:26:32 PM »
test
Hello! I am a test user!

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Bulgaria
« Reply #8662 on: December 18, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »
Tsar Nicholas II must be the only Orthodox Saint which can be found from Disney comics.

Quote from: Some random page
In, "The Empire-Builder from Calisota" now rich Scrooge McDuck comes in Saint-Petersbourg, where he buys his famous hat and cane, and visits the Czar to buy him some Faberge's eggs. In his palace is a poster with written on it "Sales before Revolution. Everything has to disapperar". In this story, Don Rosa makes reference to Barks' story above, because the Tsar tells Scrooge that he's smelly, and Scrooge answers it's because he just passed by the stables to sell concertinas to his troops.

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #8663 on: December 18, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »
I still enjoy Uncle Scrooge comic books, especially the Barks and Rosa classics which contain enough adult references to keep them interesting. In America, they only have a circulation of about 5000 (out of 300 million people!) but I hear in Finland they are still quite popular.
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Bulgaria
« Reply #8664 on: December 18, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »
I still enjoy Uncle Scrooge comic books, especially the Barks and Rosa classics which contain enough adult references to keep them interesting. In America, they only have a circulation of about 5000 (out of 300 million people!) but I hear in Finland they are still quite popular.

Indeed they are. According to Aku Ankka's website in 2008 it had circulation of 324 500 and 1,3 million weekly readers out of about 5 million people.

I once heard a story about some Finnish couple that ordered Aku Ankka magazine righ after their First-Born's birth. I wonder whether it was the newborn or dad who read it more.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:14:19 PM by Alpo »

Offline chrevbel

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #8665 on: December 18, 2010, 01:13:23 PM »
test
Oh, no!  A pop quiz.  I've always hated these.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #8666 on: December 18, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »
So I'm watching the movie Point Break right now... on the Golf Channel.  Am I the only one confused by this? ???

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8667 on: December 19, 2010, 12:53:23 AM »
test

First question: Is it true that the sufficiency of attrition is not enough for even the penitent confessor to overcome the antidisestablishmentarianism of one's dispensationalistic concept of theistic determinism?

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8668 on: December 19, 2010, 10:49:18 AM »
test

First question: Is it true that the sufficiency of attrition is not enough for even the penitent confessor to overcome the antidisestablishmentarianism of one's dispensationalistic concept of theistic determinism?

I think that goes without saying... ;)

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #8669 on: December 19, 2010, 04:34:22 PM »
This is post 666 - will I survive? Will anyone notice before the number under my name changes?

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #8670 on: December 19, 2010, 04:36:34 PM »
Will anyone notice before the number under my name changes?

Yes.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #8671 on: December 21, 2010, 07:20:04 PM »
My beard is growing weird. It's sticking out on one side and looks like I jusy woek up in the middle of the day. Help, please!
"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8672 on: December 21, 2010, 07:35:43 PM »
My beard is growing weird. It's sticking out on one side and looks like I jusy woek up in the middle of the day. Help, please!

I don't know... I've never had that problem.  I'd say to let it grow longer, then strategically trim the areas that are sticking out.  May I also suggest a healthy dose of the spell check function ;)
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #8673 on: December 21, 2010, 07:48:49 PM »
I've tried it (the spel chek funksion), and it konstantli gits mai spelink rong. Al thees red lains kom owt. Its anoyink! ;D

But seriously, I've tried that. I'm thinking of perming it, but that might make me look wierder.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8674 on: December 21, 2010, 09:23:06 PM »
But seriously, I've tried that. I'm thinking of perming it, but that might make me look wierder.

It probably will (although I have no basis for comparison).
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #8675 on: December 22, 2010, 01:53:34 AM »
Rhode Island. It's neither a road, nor an island.     Discuss.

I'm going to need this.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #8676 on: December 22, 2010, 01:59:45 AM »

You're talking about Providence Plantations, right? ;)

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #8677 on: December 22, 2010, 02:15:03 AM »

Uhhmmmm...I'm pretty certain there's nothing you could do to make us think you're wierder than you are.  ;)
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #8678 on: December 22, 2010, 03:06:22 PM »
Isnt Rhode a gross misspelling of a track of paved ground?

Online PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #8679 on: December 23, 2010, 12:44:58 AM »
I wonder how many Rhodes Scholars come out of Rhode Island.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline chrevbel

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #8680 on: December 23, 2010, 02:53:09 AM »
And how do they end up in Oxford?  I thought all Rhodes led to Rome.

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8681 on: December 23, 2010, 02:57:40 AM »
Rhode Island. It's neither a road, nor an island.     Discuss.
And how do they end up in Oxford?  I thought all Rhodes led to Rome.
What!? They all end up wearing Oxfords? How do they have the money to do that?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:58:05 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #8682 on: December 23, 2010, 09:22:20 AM »
LOL!

I'm going to need this.

Offline chrevbel

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #8683 on: December 23, 2010, 01:51:13 PM »
This could be an historical first.  I just saw where, based on his participation in an internet forum, a guy admitted to being wrong and changed his mind.  Unbelievable!

Of course, I read this on the internet, so it's probably not true.

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8684 on: December 23, 2010, 02:32:46 PM »
This could be an historical first.  I just saw where, based on his participation in an internet forum, a guy admitted to being wrong and changed his mind.  Unbelievable!

Of course, I read this on the internet, so it's probably not true.
Oh, NO! The whole fabric of the cosmos is coming unraveled! The earth is going to crumble into dust and ashes! :o