Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2026076 times)

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #8415 on: November 04, 2010, 09:31:21 PM »
Why do they sell deoderant. body spray, and shampoo in pairs, but not toothbruses or packs of pork chops?
"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #8416 on: November 04, 2010, 09:57:11 PM »
I've seen toothbrushes sold in pairs.  And pork chops.

Maybe you're not shopping at the right stores. ;)
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8417 on: November 05, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
Maybe you could add some vertical storage space - like desktop shelves, etc. ?

or even something on the side.  I have a great little 5 drawer plastic tower with tons of space both inside & on top for me to lay random papers & books!  (office max = your friend)

Yeah, I'll have to think about how to add some extra space somehow. :)

My old coffee table was getting sort of old and beat up, so I decided to get a new one. However, I didn't bother to get measurements of my current table so that I would know what size table to order (I was browsing online). I eventually settled on a table from Walmart, and had them ship it to the store closest to me. I picked it up today... and I'm regretting not thinking this out more. If I did the measurements/calculation correctly, my new table is 49% smaller than my old one. I usually have multiple remote controls, multiple stacks of books, and multiple bunches of papers strewn across the table. Not now. I'm really missing that extra space.

LOL, I love how you say it's "49% smaller" -- not just "about half the size."  ;)

I was in college in Florida at the age of 20 when I realised how much of a nerd I was. The dorm monitor saw me walking back to my room and invited me to a get together. Shy and awkward, I gave an uber-geeky response, which sounded like some line out of a dissertation. It was at that moment that I realised who I truly was. People sometimes say "Oh, you wouldn't talk like that in real life". No. I really am that geeky in real life.  :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 02:46:24 PM by Asteriktos »
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #8418 on: November 05, 2010, 03:23:30 PM »
Maybe you could add some vertical storage space - like desktop shelves, etc. ?

or even something on the side.  I have a great little 5 drawer plastic tower with tons of space both inside & on top for me to lay random papers & books!  (office max = your friend)

Yeah, I'll have to think about how to add some extra space somehow. :)

My old coffee table was getting sort of old and beat up, so I decided to get a new one. However, I didn't bother to get measurements of my current table so that I would know what size table to order (I was browsing online). I eventually settled on a table from Walmart, and had them ship it to the store closest to me. I picked it up today... and I'm regretting not thinking this out more. If I did the measurements/calculation correctly, my new table is 49% smaller than my old one. I usually have multiple remote controls, multiple stacks of books, and multiple bunches of papers strewn across the table. Not now. I'm really missing that extra space.

LOL, I love how you say it's "49% smaller" -- not just "about half the size."  ;)

I was in college in Florida at the age of 20 when I realised how much of a nerd I was. The dorm monitor saw me walking back to my room and invited me to a get together. Shy and awkward, I gave an uber-geeky response, which sounded like some line out of a dissertation. It was at that moment that I realised who I truly was. People sometimes say "Oh, you wouldn't talk like that in real life". No. I really am that geeky in real life.  :P
And I totally respect that! :)
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #8419 on: November 05, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »
I'm going to see "West Side Story" on Broadway this weekend! *does Snoopy Happy dance*
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8420 on: November 05, 2010, 07:21:42 PM »
I'm going to see "West Side Story" on Broadway this weekend! *does Snoopy Happy dance*

Have fun (I think?)!  ;D

As a side note, just a lesson for your young ones out there... believe it or not, you actually have to put the food in the oven for it to begin to cook. Leaving it sit on top of the stove while the oven is on won't actually cook it  :D
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #8421 on: November 06, 2010, 10:38:21 PM »
Round 2 tonight...  Competing against speakers from as many as four clubs outside of my own.

How'd it go?
I won. ;D (My nerdy brand of humor got a lot of laughs. :laugh:) Next round: the division contest on October 21. If I win that, I go on to the District 7 finals.
Round 3 tonight. Got a lot of laughs throughout my final practice run last night, so I know I'm ready. ;D

Keep us posted!  And, is there a way we could get a YOUTUBE preview or something?  I for one would love to see your set!  
The run is done, even though my speech was the best I'd ever done and got just as many laughs as the contest winner's. Now it's time for me to focus on my next big project: a 12-month contract to test printer software for a big local printer manufacturer. The new job starts next Wednesday.
We had our district humorous speech finals today--I didn't compete. The trophy winners: 3rd Place went to a fellow who spoke of a day at work as an accountant in the straight-voiced "Just the facts" manner of a Sgt. Joe Friday; 2nd Place to an arachnophobe and her encounters with big, hairy spiders while hiking in Arizona; and the 1st place trophy to an older gent who was too macho to hire a professional to paint his house. :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:38:44 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8422 on: November 07, 2010, 01:21:57 AM »
If you don't mind my asking, why didn't you compete? :)

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #8423 on: November 07, 2010, 02:14:03 AM »
Extra hour of sleep = awesome.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8424 on: November 07, 2010, 05:02:30 AM »
I was eliminated from competition in the divisional round (one round immediately previous to today's).

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8425 on: November 07, 2010, 05:10:10 AM »
I was eliminated from competition in the divisional round (one round immediately previous to today's).

Ahh, ok :) Wait, should I be smiling? Well anyway... good luck next year (?)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #8426 on: November 08, 2010, 01:30:54 AM »
Today is the Synaxis of the Archangel Michael and the other Bodiless Powers. Happy feast day, everybody. And happy Name Day, everyone who's named Mike.  :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #8427 on: November 08, 2010, 02:23:02 AM »
October 2010 - 105 new members
October 2009 - 87 new members

Percentage Increase = 20.69%

Through 7+ days in this month, 33 new members have registered which is on pace for 141 new members for the month.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #8428 on: November 08, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »
Today is the Synaxis of the Archangel Michael and the other Bodiless Powers. Happy feast day, everybody. And happy Name Day, everyone who's named Mike.  :)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8429 on: November 08, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »

Ahh, ok :) Wait, should I be smiling?
I don't see why not. This was only my second time competing in the annual humorous speech tournament, and I made it farther this year than last. I'm quite pleased that I beat the person who beat me at the area level (one level above club and below division) last year, and I gave the performance of my life at the division contest this year. The judges, however, thought someone else's speech better and selected him the winner. I can't exactly complain about something over which I ultimately have no control. At least I was given the opportunity to learn from some much more experienced contest veterans, and I learned a lot!

Well anyway... good luck next year (?)
Thank you. :) I got a lot of great ideas from this year's district contest, so I look forward to what I can do next year. Then again, I could be appointed Area Governor, in which case I would not be permitted to compete in a contest.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #8430 on: November 08, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
A woman lights a candle at the Church of the Dormition in the West Bank, yesterday. Just a photograph, but very moving nonetheless.

:angel:
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #8431 on: November 08, 2010, 09:30:26 PM »
A woman lights a candle at the Church of the Dormition in the West Bank, yesterday. Just a photograph, but very moving nonetheless.

:angel:

Let's see if anyone can pic out the inaccuaracies in some of the descriptions of the later pictures
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8432 on: November 08, 2010, 10:57:51 PM »
Why do they sell deoderant. body spray, and shampoo in pairs, but not toothbruses or packs of pork chops?

I'll agree with theistgal: we got a his & hers toothbrush pack (i.e. TWO SEPARATE ones, not one to share ;) ) at a bridal shower (amongst other things in that gift pack).  Now pork chops... they'd have to be pretty heavy to be sold in a pair, methinks (since most are packaged by weight were I'm at - going for certain size packages).
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #8433 on: November 09, 2010, 01:09:10 AM »
Well, I admit I don't buy a whole lot of pork chops.  I just assumed they were sold in pairs as my mom always cooked several at a time.

(Which may explain my weight problems ... lol! :D )

Now drumsticks I *know* are sold in pairs ...
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8434 on: November 09, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
This has not been a good couple of weeks for me. First I was told that my car needed new tires to pass inspection. Then I found out that my battery is 5 years old and will probably need to be replaced soon. Then I was told that I need a new windshield before it'll pass inspection. Now I think I'll need to replace the alternator. Can't we just invent transporters a la Star Trek already!?  :-\
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:10:39 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #8435 on: November 09, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »
This has not been a good couple of weeks for me. First I was told that my car needed new tires to pass inspection. Then I found out that my battery is 5 years old and will probably need to be replaced soon. Then I was told that I need a new windshield before it'll pass inspection. Now I think I'll need to replace the alternator. Can't we just invent transporters a la Star Trek already!?  :-\

We're at least trying: http://www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf

14. ABSTRACT
This study was tasked with the purpose of collecting information describing the teleportation of material objects, providing a description of
teleportation as it occurs in physics, its theoretical and experimental status, and a projection of potential applications. The study also consisted
of a search for teleportation phenomena occurring naturally or under laboratory conditions that can be assembled into a model describing the
conditions required to accomplish the transfer of objects. This included a review and documentation of quantum teleportation, its theoretical
basis, technological development, and its potential applications. The characteristics of teleportation were defined and physical theories were
evaluated in terms of their ability to completely describe the phenomena. Contemporary physics, as well as theories that presently challenge the
current physics paradigm were investigated. The author identified and proposed two unique physics models for teleportation that are based on
the manipulation of either the general relativistic spacetime metric or the spacetime vacuum electromagnetic (zero-point fluctuations)
parameters. Naturally occurring anomalous teleportation phenomena that were previously studied by the United States and foreign
governments were also documented in the study and are reviewed in the report. The author proposes an additional model for teleportation that
is based on a combination of the experimental results from the previous government studies and advanced physics concepts. Numerous
recommendations outlining proposals for further theoretical and experimental studies are given in the report. The report also includes an
extensive teleportation bibliography.
Many energies, three persons, two natures, one God, one Church, one Baptism.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8436 on: November 10, 2010, 10:42:16 PM »
The future is now!  :)

On another note... I'm watching Hell's Kitchen... sort of... but why is it that these chefs can't do things like cook food long enough that they aren't still raw when they send them to Ramsay? Honestly? How long do you have to be a chef before you can cook pasta or a steak?

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8437 on: November 10, 2010, 11:55:20 PM »
The future is now!  :)

On another note... I'm watching Hell's Kitchen... sort of... but why is it that these chefs can't do things like cook food long enough that they aren't still raw when they send them to Ramsay? Honestly? How long do you have to be a chef before you can cook pasta or a steak?

I love, and hate, that show.  Love for entertainment value; hate that it is reminding me that I may eat at a place that doesn't cook its food well enough, store it well enough, or train its chefs in proper handling well enough.  Yuck.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #8438 on: November 11, 2010, 08:37:23 AM »
I think I mentioned earlier that I've taken on a paper route to get me up and going in the morning. My son, now 32, reminded me that perhaps twenty years ago he had more or less the same route for a while. I guess I'm following in my son's footsteps  ;D !

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
« Reply #8439 on: November 11, 2010, 11:38:45 PM »
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:54:55 PM by tuesdayschild »

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8440 on: November 15, 2010, 01:16:19 AM »
If you order something like bookends, and are overjoyed when they arrive, you just might be a geek.  :D  ;D

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
« Reply #8441 on: November 15, 2010, 12:52:27 PM »
If you order something like bookends, and are overjoyed when they arrive, you just might be a geek.  :D  ;D

I need those. Where can I order them?

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8442 on: November 15, 2010, 03:21:15 PM »
I need those. Where can I order them?

I got mine from the Amazon.com seller Office Quarters, who are selling them for $1.34 (see here, and scroll down a bit). Shipping is $5.73, so you can get them for about $7 total from that seller. Of you might be able to get a pair at Office Depot or a similar store for the same price (for example your local store might have this one or a similarly priced version).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 03:26:34 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to internets.
« Reply #8443 on: November 17, 2010, 03:58:20 AM »
Methinks Papist's avatar is super cool and should be awarded because of it. Maybe he could be declared as the "Pontifex Maximus of the OC.net" by Holy Synod of Moderators or something.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:01:41 AM by Alpo »

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #8444 on: November 17, 2010, 04:22:14 AM »
Methinks Papist's avatar is super cool and should be awarded because of it. Maybe he could be declared as the "Pontifex Maximus of the OC.net" by Holy Synod of Moderators or something.

Why? Has he built some impressive bridges lately? ;)
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to internets.
« Reply #8445 on: November 17, 2010, 04:42:36 AM »

Why? Has he built some impressive bridges lately? ;)

Well, considering the facts that he seems not so enthusiastic with RC-EO ecumenism and that Tertullian is using that title in ironic way, yes. :P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:43:22 AM by Alpo »

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8446 on: November 17, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »
I'm having car problems and I didn't want to risk my car breaking down tonight, but I had a bit of a problem... I'm almost out of soda. That's like a near death experience for me or something! So I did what any sane person would do: I ordered some food to be delivered. The minimum order the place required is only $6, so I thought about just ordering three 2 liters of soda, which would have covered the requirement. I just couldn't do it, though... how do you call an Italian restaurant and ask them to deliver three bottles of pop to you? :D I was wondering "what the hell's wrong with me?" just thinking about it.  8) They probably would have thought I was just too lazy to go to the store or something. Anyway, so they got some extra money out of me for some grub. Though I don't mind, they make good food.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #8447 on: November 17, 2010, 06:53:51 PM »
My dog was very sick today. She is now doing better, though. Whew.   :)

Also, I've had an interview scheduled for every day this week (except Monday). Huzzah!   ;D

--

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #8448 on: November 17, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »

I had to re-answer this, because the other day some of us took our parish priest out to breakfast, and he made a big point of asking the waiter to verify that the menu item "pork chops and eggs" was indeed "CHOPS" (plural) and not "CHOP" (singular) - because he really wanted those TWO chops!  :laugh:

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #8449 on: November 17, 2010, 09:08:33 PM »
Well, Lubeltri was kind enough to post the pic here at oc.net.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8450 on: November 17, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »
I see a tag below that says, "I like soup". On that note, I had some vegetarian chili for lunch today. I'm not liking it so much now. :P

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8451 on: November 17, 2010, 11:55:53 PM »
I see a tag below that says, "I like soup". On that note, I had some vegetarian chili for lunch today. I'm not liking it so much now. :P

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8452 on: November 18, 2010, 12:14:23 AM »

That's about right. :P

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8453 on: November 18, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
There's nothing like walking through an intersection during a rain storm only to find the drainage grate on the other end of the crosswalk backed up and overflowing. :P

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8454 on: November 18, 2010, 02:44:56 AM »
There's nothing like walking through an intersection during a rain storm only to find the drainage grate on the other end of the crosswalk backed up and overflowing. :P

I don't... um... . . nevermind...  :D

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #8455 on: November 18, 2010, 06:08:32 AM »

It's a norm in Poland.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #8456 on: November 18, 2010, 07:32:54 AM »

Oh, yes, there is:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:37:03 AM by Fabio Leite »
Many energies, three persons, two natures, one God, one Church, one Baptism.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8457 on: November 18, 2010, 10:50:53 AM »

It's a norm in Poland.
And also in Portland.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #8458 on: November 18, 2010, 03:21:24 PM »
I was looking through some of my things, and I found a nice CD of Romanian chant that I thought I'd lost. Hooray!   :angel: Nice for this time of year.

--

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #8459 on: November 18, 2010, 03:38:50 PM »
I feel the sudden urge to visit Sweden.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS