Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 1975679 times)

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #7695 on: March 31, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »
So close to a four day weekend.  :)
You too? Excellent. Most schools around here give only Good Friday off, but mine always takes two days. This is the first year I'll actually be able to enjoy it, though, as they always follow the Catholic calendar.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #7696 on: March 31, 2010, 12:43:32 PM »
You too? Excellent. Most schools around here give only Good Friday off, but mine always takes two days. This is the first year I'll actually be able to enjoy it, though, as they always follow the Catholic calendar.
Yup Yup. But we have Friday and Monday off. Tomorrow I have parent teacher conferences (or credentialing as they call it in secondary school).
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7697 on: March 31, 2010, 12:44:53 PM »
Yup Yup. But we have Friday and Monday off. Tomorrow I have parent teacher conferences (or credentialing as they call it in secondary school).
I see. We're done after today, but we have to come back on Monday.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7698 on: March 31, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7699 on: March 31, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »

Overcompensation?  Or showing off?
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #7700 on: March 31, 2010, 09:31:43 PM »
Yes One More day till Easter Break I'm really looking forward to tomorrow  my school is doing a Tenebrae  Service and then vespers with the washing of feet and the passion Gospels  This really is my Favorite week of the year  ;D
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7701 on: March 31, 2010, 09:58:33 PM »
Overcompensation?  Or showing off?

I just thought it was funny, and something random  :)  My arms look nothing like that, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:58:59 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7702 on: March 31, 2010, 11:05:54 PM »
Overcompensation?  Or showing off?
I just thought it was funny, and something random  :)  My arms look nothing like that, unfortunately.

I'm glad to hear it... Yellow arms would probably be a symptom of a serious illness! ;) (Or serious college football fanaticism... )
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:06:08 PM by Fr. George »
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7703 on: April 01, 2010, 07:56:06 AM »
Overcompensation?  Or showing off?

I just thought it was funny, and something random  :)  My arms look nothing like that, unfortunately.
I'm sure your head looks just like the picture.

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #7704 on: April 04, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
So, how did everyone enjoy the newest Doctor?
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7705 on: April 04, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »
I'm glad to hear it... Yellow arms would probably be a symptom of a serious illness! ;) (Or serious college football fanaticism... )

I was cursed with white-as-a-ghost syndrome... I wonder what it would be like to be yellow. I could always go on a carrot binge and see how I look yellow. Or I could get a tan like this...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9xsnZ-wNWqY/SwI0EY0nkAI/AAAAAAAAANY/ZaNTz0GTt5s/s1600/bodybuilder.jpg

:D

Disturbing image replaced by link to same image. If you wish to view the photo, click on the above link. Be advised, though, that it does show people wearing less than the average amount of clothing.--YtterbiumAnalyst
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:39:35 AM by ytterbiumanalyst »

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7706 on: April 04, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »
That is one of the creepiest things I have ever seen... :laugh:
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #7707 on: April 04, 2010, 08:21:57 PM »

Doctor who?

Hugh Laurie is still playing "House", right?  ???

Ok, just kidding.  Matt Smith did an excellent job, as I thought he would ever since those last twenty seconds of the New Year's episode.  The regeneration itself seemed very Tom Bakerish, while the character seems to incorporate the best aspects of the Doctors of years past.  Looks to be the beginning of an exciting season.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #7708 on: April 04, 2010, 09:57:01 PM »
I had five types of meat at dinner today.

That's just simply ridiculous! lol
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7709 on: April 05, 2010, 01:54:35 AM »
I had five types of meat at dinner today.

That's just simply ridiculous! lol

My brother and I plan to eat a "Meat Salad" this week. lol
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7710 on: April 05, 2010, 05:07:31 PM »
You're kidding! You Canucks have seen it already? BBC America will start the new series April 17.

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7711 on: April 05, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »
You're kidding! You Canucks have seen it already? BBC America will start the new series April 17.

Space isn't airing it until April 17th up here.  Thankfully, people love sharing on the Internet.  ;) :laugh:

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7712 on: April 05, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »

Space isn't airing it until April 17th up here.  Thankfully, people love sharing on the Internet.  ;) :laugh:
I see. Though it intrigues me that you have a whole channel devoted to space travel shows. We get it already: Capt. Kirk was Canadian. :P

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7713 on: April 05, 2010, 07:14:47 PM »
I see. Though it intrigues me that you have a whole channel devoted to space travel shows. We get it already: Capt. Kirk was Canadian. :P
Scotty too!  ;D

Online PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7714 on: April 05, 2010, 07:45:52 PM »
Useless Fact of the Day:  Some turtles can breathe through their anuses.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2325/is-it-true-turtles-breathe-through-their-butts
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7715 on: April 05, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7716 on: April 06, 2010, 07:38:36 PM »
Happy Tartan Day to all those with Scottish blood (my paternal grandmother was Scottish)!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:39:24 PM by Nebelpfade »

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7717 on: April 07, 2010, 05:12:38 PM »
Thank you from this person of partly Scots ancestry!  I meant to have some good steel-cut oatmeal for breakfast, but things happened.   ;)

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7718 on: April 07, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »

Easter Monday is a state holiday in Maryland and has been for a long time.  And the week before was Spring Break for the public schools, with yesterday being a Teacher Work Day in this country.  So my children had a long holiday this year.  (while I still had class as the college's break was in March)
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7719 on: April 07, 2010, 05:26:01 PM »

Easter Monday is a state holiday in Maryland and has been for a long time.  And the week before was Spring Break for the public schools, with yesterday being a Teacher Work Day in this country.  So my children had a long holiday this year.  (while I still had class as the college's break was in March)
That would make sense, as Maryland is historically a Catholic state.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7720 on: April 07, 2010, 05:49:32 PM »

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7721 on: April 09, 2010, 01:46:06 PM »
I'm in the process of trying to decide what foreign language to take for school. I have the options of Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Latin, and Arabic. Any thoughts on those choices? What would you take? I'm guessing that Spanish would be easiest, but Russian might be more interesting for me. How many classes does it take to actually be able to read books in a language? For instance, if I wanted to read Dostoevsky or someone in the original Russian, would I be able to do that after a few semesters taking Russian, or would it take a lot more time/learning?

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7722 on: April 09, 2010, 03:40:42 PM »
I'm in the process of trying to decide what foreign language to take for school. I have the options of Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Latin, and Arabic. Any thoughts on those choices? What would you take? I'm guessing that Spanish would be easiest, but Russian might be more interesting for me. How many classes does it take to actually be able to read books in a language? For instance, if I wanted to read Dostoevsky or someone in the original Russian, would I be able to do that after a few semesters taking Russian, or would it take a lot more time/learning?
Depends on for what purpose you are learning. Many people in the United States know Spanish and French, so if you are interested in speaking it with someone else, they are good choices. Latin is most appropriate for those who want to learn the English language better, but Chinese, Japanese, Russian, and Arabic are all good choices for someone who wants their language skills to be a job asset--not many know these languages, and therefore being able to speak them would allow for one to function as a translator, with enough study.

With any foreign language, one studies first the grammar and vocabulary, for about the first six semesters. After that, one begins to study the literature and to write compositions. I'd say it would take about five to seven years experience with the language before one would become competent enough to read the newspaper, and several more before one could read something as complicated as Dostoevsky.

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7723 on: April 09, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »
Ouch! I had no idea it took so long, though that makes sense. I wonder if I would have the stick-to-it-tiveness to keep up for that long to learn a language in depth. Or maybe I should just take a couple Spanish or French classes and be done with it.  :-\ Anyway, thanks for the info :)

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #7724 on: April 09, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »

Is German not an option?? German would be my recommendation.

You could always learn Esperanto in your free time. It would take about 3 weeks to be fluent.
"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7725 on: April 09, 2010, 04:42:08 PM »
I am trying to squeeze the last bit of productivity from my students... and there isn't much left.

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7726 on: April 09, 2010, 05:41:18 PM »
Is German not an option?? German would be my recommendation.

You could always learn Esperanto in your free time. It would take about 3 weeks to be fluent.

Interestingly, no, they don't have German. You'd think if they have things like Arabic, they would have German, but nope. It's a Catholic University, maybe they're still mad at Luther or something  :P

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7727 on: April 09, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »
I am trying to squeeze the last bit of productivity from my students... and there isn't much left.

Lol, you've still got a long way to go though!

Offline Lauren_Elisse

• Elder
« Reply #7728 on: April 10, 2010, 01:28:45 AM »
Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #7729 on: April 10, 2010, 01:31:00 AM »

What topic are you currently covering?

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7730 on: April 10, 2010, 11:59:09 AM »

Well, I teach a math lab for remedial students. I am constantly covering many different topics in each class because I different learning groups and learning levels in each class.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #7731 on: April 10, 2010, 12:36:55 PM »

Well, I teach a math lab for remedial students. I am constantly covering many different topics in each class because I different learning groups and learning levels in each class.

When I was a TA for Engineering Statics, I tried to make Quizzes attention getting based on the trends of that time (1996).  I think one of my quizzes involved determining whether a bridge would hold up for a group of sorority girls traveling to a ski area.  I hope this helps?   ???

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #7732 on: April 11, 2010, 07:39:04 AM »
My parish Priest have said today loudly on a coffee hour that I start getting bald :/ ;)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #7733 on: April 11, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »
Does Rogaine exist in Poland?   :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:31:00 PM by SolEX01 »

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #7734 on: April 11, 2010, 10:54:50 PM »
Here is the percentage increase in new members for the last 5 months from the previous year (not including the current month):

From 3/09 - 3/10 - 15.5% increase
From 2/09 - 2/10 - 23.9% increase
From 1/09 - 1/10 - 143.3% increase

From 12/08 - 12/09 - 91.2% increase
From 11/08 - 11/09 - 182.8% increase

While the period of Great Lent demonstrated a smaller increase - huge increases have occurred from 11/09 - 1/10.  People are flocking to the high level of discourse.   ;)

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7735 on: April 12, 2010, 04:05:47 AM »
One of the greatest evils was unleashed on the world sixteen years ago this day, and it came from the Southern US...  Commercial spam!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:09:34 AM by Nebelpfade »

Online PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7736 on: April 12, 2010, 04:40:47 AM »
One of the greatest evils was unleashed on the world sixteen years ago this day, and it came from the Southern US...  Commercial spam!
Gotta love spam! ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
Not all who wander are lost.

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7737 on: April 14, 2010, 12:12:03 AM »
Tea is good.  :)

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7738 on: April 14, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »
Tea is good.  :)

"The mere chink of cups and saucers tunes the mind to happy repose" - George Gissing

Can't say that I ever experienced anything like that drinking tea, but anyway...  :)

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7739 on: April 14, 2010, 02:20:27 AM »
A hot cup of tea, the gentle hum of a computer churning away at billions of operations a second, a crisp (very) early morning breeze from an open window, and a good book... that my friends, is paradise.