Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2180272 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #7605 on: February 28, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »
Are EO allowed to drink beer during Lent? We're not.

Selam

It's allowed in the Slavic tradition, I believe.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7606 on: February 28, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »
Haha, excellent!

I never had standard Fosters, just the bitter. That was bad enough, I can't imagine the horror that is the lager.
No one in Australia actually drinks Fosters. Its a joke we've played on the world and you all fell for it.
And yet, it's head and shoulders above our own practical joke, Bud Light.
Too true; Budweiser, Coors, Busch, etc ... It should be illegal to label this fermented goat urine as beer.  :)
Ahh, how good it is to live in Beervana! ;D  I believe we have more microbreweries here in western Oregon than anywhere else in the U.S.

And some of them are pretty darn good!  Used to be the only domestic beer I would drink was Sam Adams; I've had some really good microbrewery stuff lately.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7607 on: February 28, 2010, 05:53:42 PM »

Selam

Beer is liquid bread.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #7608 on: February 28, 2010, 05:59:36 PM »

Selam

Beer is liquid bread.

It's good that we abstain from alcohol during fasts in our Church. Heck, if I lived in Oregon and could drink during fats, then I'd probably be on "Intervention" in no time.

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7609 on: February 28, 2010, 11:39:35 PM »

Selam

Beer is liquid bread.

It's good that we abstain from alcohol during fasts in our Church. Heck, if I lived in Oregon and could drink during fats, then I'd probably be on "Intervention" in no time.

Selam
Man, I wish I could drink during a fats, but I don't know of any fatsing seasons. ;)  What is that, anyway?  The exact opposite of fasting? :D

• Merarches
« Reply #7610 on: February 28, 2010, 11:52:37 PM »

Selam

Beer is liquid bread.

Selam
Man, I wish I could drink during a fats, but I don't know of any fatsing seasons. ;)  What is that, anyway?  The exact opposite of fasting? :D

Yeah, that makes sense. And since I am fasting and thereby abstaining from alcohol, I have no excuse for typing "fatsing"! :D

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline Elijah

• Elder
  • God is love; be faithful un to death.
« Reply #7611 on: February 28, 2010, 11:58:39 PM »
"Their throats are open graves;
      their tongues practice deceit."
   "The poison of vipers is on their lips."
    "Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness."

"Their feet are swift to shed blood;
    ruin and misery mark their ways,

and the way of peace they do not know."
    There is no fear of God before their eyes."
(Rom. 3:13-18)

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7612 on: March 01, 2010, 12:22:07 AM »
Bebop and Rocksteady... remember those guys?

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #7613 on: March 01, 2010, 12:26:36 AM »

Selam

Yes, we abstain from wine but not all alcohol.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #7614 on: March 01, 2010, 12:27:34 AM »
Bebop and Rocksteady... remember those guys?

Now that brings back memories!
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline Elijah

• Elder
  • God is love; be faithful un to death.
« Reply #7615 on: March 03, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »
So I saw that there is nothing better for a man than to enjoy his work, because that is his lot. (Ecclesiastes 3:22)
Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7616 on: March 03, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »
You disgust me, Elijah.

Not really, just wanted to say something random.

Offline Jake C

• Catechumen
« Reply #7617 on: March 03, 2010, 11:54:24 PM »
Haha, excellent!

I never had standard Fosters, just the bitter. That was bad enough, I can't imagine the horror that is the lager.
No one in Australia actually drinks Fosters. Its a joke we've played on the world and you all fell for it.
And yet, it's head and shoulders above our own practical joke, Bud Light.

Sadly, it seems that our practical joke flew over most of our population's head. Unlike the Aussies, who apparently export all of their trash "beer" (read: Foster's), there are legions of Americans who actually drink Bud Light (why is beyond me).
Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #7618 on: March 04, 2010, 12:00:54 AM »
Sadly, it seems that our practical joke flew over most of our population's head. Unlike the Aussies, who apparently export all of their trash "beer" (read: Foster's), there are legions of Americans who actually drink Bud Light (why is beyond me).

My brother-in-law went to a pub in rural Ireland, and he said that almost everyone was drinking Budweiser.

• Merarches
« Reply #7619 on: March 04, 2010, 12:10:57 AM »

My brother-in-law went to a pub in rural Ireland, and he said that almost everyone was drinking Budweiser.

Yeah, I remember when I was in Mexico years ago and they loved Budweiser. Of course all the "cool" Mexicans I hung out with drank Dos Equis, Bohemia, and Negra Modelo.

(Why am I talking about beer during Lent! :-[)

Selam

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #7620 on: March 04, 2010, 12:11:57 AM »

There is one Australian beer which is worse than Fosters: Victoria Bitter. Vile Brew.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:12:37 AM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #7621 on: March 04, 2010, 12:20:24 AM »

This is sad but true. The three beers I saw in Ireland everywhere we went were Guinness, Budweiser, and Copenhagen. Occasionally I would see Schmitack's.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7622 on: March 04, 2010, 02:17:19 AM »
David Tennant--yes, he of Doctor Who fame--asked me to be his Facebook friend.  How in the world does he know me?  ???

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #7623 on: March 04, 2010, 02:38:38 AM »
David Tennant--yes, he of Doctor Who fame--asked me to be his Facebook friend.  How in the world does he know me?  ???

He doesn't. It's probably a front for a Nigerian bank scam.  ;) :laugh: :laugh:
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7624 on: March 04, 2010, 02:38:46 AM »
Why am I talking about beer during Lent?!

I believe alcohol is permitted on weekends in the "Eastern" Orthodox Church during Lent, and indeed some interpret the Lenten prohibitions to only apply to cooking with wine, and that to drink is still acceptable.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7625 on: March 04, 2010, 02:44:23 AM »
David Tennant--yes, he of Doctor Who fame--asked me to be his Facebook friend.  How in the world does he know me?  ???

He doesn't. It's probably a front for a Nigerian bank scam.  ;) :laugh: :laugh:
Well, if a big, blue British police call box suddenly materializes in front of my house with Mr. Tennant at the controls, I'll know that something's up.

Seriously, it ends up that my brother sent Mr. Tennant a Facebook friend request as kinduva stab in the dark, and, to my brother's shock and amazement, David confirmed the request.  My brother claims that he then sent me a recommendation that I connect with Mr. Tennant, but the friend suggestion from my brother showed up as a friend request from Mr. Tennant himself.  Certainly looks for real.  A whole lotta Doctor Who stuff from the 3-year run that David just finished as the Tenth Doctor.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:50:21 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #7626 on: March 04, 2010, 02:44:36 AM »
Why am I talking about beer during Lent?!

I believe alcohol is permitted on weekends in the "Eastern" Orthodox Church during Lent, and indeed some interpret the Lenten prohibitions to only apply to cooking with wine, and that to drink is still acceptable.

Not in our Ethiopian Orthodox Church though. But that's a good thing for me, I promise you!

Selam

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7627 on: March 04, 2010, 02:52:36 AM »
My brain is an A.D.D. wandering time waster.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7628 on: March 04, 2010, 03:08:54 AM »
My brain is an A.D.D. wandering time waster.
My brain is a T.A.R.D.I.S. time wanderer.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7629 on: March 04, 2010, 03:10:05 AM »

Budweiser actually tastes pretty good... after 4 or 5 Guinness's.  :P  But why does it seem like the entire world only imports the worst of America?  Like rap music, Jerry Springer and David Hasselhoff?   ;)

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #7630 on: March 04, 2010, 06:58:45 AM »

Budweiser actually tastes pretty good... after 4 or 5 Guinness's.  :P  But why does it seem like the entire world only imports the worst of America?  Like rap music, Jerry Springer and David Hasselhoff?   ;)

It's easy to mass produce cheap crap. Things of better quality, have better quality because extra time and effort was put into it.
"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #7631 on: March 04, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »
David Tennant--yes, he of Doctor Who fame--asked me to be his Facebook friend.  How in the world does he know me?  ???

Well, if a big, blue British police call box suddenly materializes in front of my house with Mr. Tennant at the controls, I'll know that something's up.

Seriously, it ends up that my brother sent Mr. Tennant a Facebook friend request as kinduva stab in the dark, and, to my brother's shock and amazement, David confirmed the request.  My brother claims that he then sent me a recommendation that I connect with Mr. Tennant, but the friend suggestion from my brother showed up as a friend request from Mr. Tennant himself.  Certainly looks for real.  A whole lotta Doctor Who stuff from the 3-year run that David just finished as the Tenth Doctor.
Actually, quite a number of celebrities operate Facebook pages as a way of self-promotion. They generally accept all friend requests, because the more friends they have, the more people get to see what their next show is, and the better the viewership/ticket sales are.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7632 on: March 04, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »

Actually, quite a number of celebrities operate Facebook pages as a way of self-promotion. They generally accept all friend requests, because the more friends they have, the more people get to see what their next show is, and the better the viewership/ticket sales are.
I kinda figured it had something to do with that kind of self-promotion.

Offline ms.hoorah

• High Elder
« Reply #7633 on: March 04, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »

He doesn't. It's probably a front for a Nigerian bank scam.  ;) :laugh: :laugh:
Or a sinister plan by a Dalek and a Jagrafess to misguide PtA. Be careful!  :laugh:

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #7634 on: March 05, 2010, 10:41:51 AM »
:*+*******+*+*####****#*.+#**++*#***+#*##*######@###*###@###**
:+++#*##*######*###*#####+#@@@@@@@@@@@*##**##+###############*
:+*#+##*##########*##*##@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@***######@#####*##+##*
+++*+**#**###*#######@@@@@@@@@@##@@@@@@#@@########@##########*
:*##+*###*#####***##@@@@@@@##@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@+#*##############*
:+#+#*#######**#*#@@@@@@@#@@@@@@@*#######@@@@*######*#+######*
++*+++#####***###@@@@@@#@@@@@@######@@@@@#@@@@#*#*####*#####**
+:#::*###*##*###@@@@@@##@@@@@####@#@@@@@@@#@@@@#*##*#***#*###*
::+:++*########@@@@@*###@@@@####@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@*#*######++:+*
++++#*#*######@@@@@#@##@#@@#####@#@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@*##*+*+*:#*+*
+++**+##*####@@@@@##@@@@@@*###@@@@@#@@@@@@@@@@@@@#*#*#+#****+*
++#*#***#####@@@##@@#@@@@######@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@#@@@*######*#***
++**##***###@@@@###@@@@@@*####@@##@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@######*###**
.+**##*#*##@@@@####@@@@@#*#####@@@@#@@@@@#@@@@@@@@@##**#*#*##*
:+**###***#@@@###@@@@@@@:+::+@####@@@##@@@@@@@@@#@@+*########*
++#*####*#@@@####@@@###+:..:+##*:#@#@#@@@@@@@@,+#@@######***#*
:***#####@@@###@##@@###*@#:*@#@#++#+@@@@@@@@@@,##@@@######+##+
:+***####@@@###@#####::+@##:*@+#@#@*#**#@@@@#.+#*@@@*#######*+
:+*+##*#@@@####@###:#++@*:@@W@@@*.#W@@*#*#@@#@*:+@@@+#####*##+
.+.*####@@@######:#:***+W**++****@#++#@@**#@#@*#@#@@+####***+*
:****##@@@#####+#+*##+W**++++:+++**@:+#@@**+@@#@@@@@#####*#**+
.***##@@@@###+***###@@**+###@@.:.+**@*+*@#@:::@@@@@@#*#**#***+
:***##@@@*#+*+*#***@**+********#.:++*@#*#W@@*.@@@@@@###*+*##*+
:*####@@#***+@#*+@****+:::****#+*+::+*@#W#@#@:@@@@@@#***+*#**+
:***#@@@#::@#*@#++**++::...+*@W+**::++*@:@#@@*@@@@@@*#*++:*+*+
:+#*#@@#@#@@**W:***++:::...*#,W@+*@.:++*W:+#@#@@@@@@***++::*#.
:**#@@@##+@###@.+***+:::...*+*@#@**@::+**W:#@#@@@@@@*+*++.::#.
+**@@@@##:*@*:@+**++:+::...**#*****@::++*@:*@#@@@@@###*++++*#:
*+@@@@###**#@**+*++++:::.:.:**#****.*++++*W*@#@@@@@###*++++*#.
@@@@###+#*@*@@**+++++:::::::::::+**.*++++*@*@##@@@#####**++*#.
@@@@##++@*@**W**+++++::::::::::++*::*@W*++*@##@@@@#@###*+++*#,
@###.*#@*@#@W+**+++++::::::+:+++**:#***W*+*W@#@@@*####*#++++#.
@@#+:@@@W#@@++**+++++:+++::+:+++*:#**#+*@**W##@@@#####*+##:+..
##:+@@@@@@#*:***++++++++::++++**:**+*,@+*#*@@*@@*#####++**#*+.
##*@@@@@@#++:**+++++:+++:++++**:**.+*:W@*@##@#@*****#*+*+*:::.
#++@@@@@**++:**++++++++++:++**:**+:+*****#W@@WWW+++***++:*##:,
:*@@@@**+++::**+++++++::::***.***:::*****@W@@###@W*:**+*,*+:+,
#@@@@**++++:.**+++++::++::*#:*#*:+++****@***#@@#@#@W+*+++++##,
*@@*++++++::.***+++++:#*+:#@*#*:+++**##+*++++@@#***@#:*#****+.
*+++::++++:::*#*+++++*+##:#***:++*##*W@@:++:+*@@##*@W+*##+**:.
:.++::.+++:::+**++++++**##***+++**+:#+#@++++*#@W@#@##W*@@*.+*+
**++:::+++:.:+**+++++.:@*##*++*#*+:**#*+:++.::**@@@@*@**++*+#+
*:+::::.+++:::*#++++++.****+++**+*#::#*#W.::..+*@@#@*@#++**+*.
***+::.:++::::**@+*++++**+**+*@+**+##+.W#@.:.:+*##@###****#*#.
**:++:::.+++::+**@*++++*++**@@*+**.:.:+:@*.:::+**#@##@@*#+#*:+
#*.*+:::.++++++***@******#@@@@*:.#*:::++#*:::+*+##@##@@***#*++
@@@++:+:::+++++****@@@@@@@#@@@#::+++:+::.*:++**W@*@@#@@******:
##@:*++::::+++****#@@@@@@##@@@@+++++++::+*++**@@@*####@*:**#*+
+*#:+*+:::::*++***@@@@@@##@@@@##+++++++*****#@##@##@#@#:***##+
*+#:@**++++:**+***@@@@#*##@@##*+**********###W###@#*@@#***#**:
##@*#@*+++++++****@@@#####@#@**:*@****+*+**:#@##@@##@*****#+*:
#::@*#@+*+++++***@@#####@@#@#*#*+***++:*:**:@@##@##@##*#*+*##:
###@##@#**#+*****##@@#####@#@#*#**+*+:::@@@@###@#@@##*#*+****:
##+.##*#@@*#*#***##@####@@@*@@**#***+:::*.@W@#@@@@@*##**#*##*:
@##*@@*@@*@###*##@######@*@##@#*****++:*.:*,@@#...::####+#++*+
@##:*@#@@#@##@@###@###@#*#####@#****+:+..*,.,...,:+:+#*:*##*#+
####+@@@######@@#####@#*#@####@**##**+::*,,,..,*,.**.+#*#****+
###@###@#@####@@#@##@#########@#*##*++::,,,,:*,**.,:::*****+:+
@##@*+@@########@##@########*#@@+@+#*+:*,.,*,+:.:.#:#:+****+*+
#######@###*##**#*@#####@###*@##@#+#++#,.,#*,,++.,:+,++***+*++
####@**#@#**####@#*#######@#*###@++**#,:..+,+*+#,++.:+++*:#*++
###########@@#*###*#######@####@@#***::::,:..:..:#,,,.:+++***,
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7635 on: March 05, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »
^ Is that the Shroud of Turin?
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Super Apostolic Bros.

• Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?
« Reply #7636 on: March 05, 2010, 03:19:54 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/article_18430_6-historic-acts-revenge-that-put-kill-bill-to-shame.html (LANGUAGE WARNING)

Don't know this guy's faith, but between his glorifying the sack of Constantinople (while conveniently leaving out that it was supposed to be a Crusade to Jerusalem) and his name, he's definitely Italian.

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7637 on: March 05, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
I just heard a radio announcement that Larry King will be 'performing' at Fallsview Casino.  What exactly does he 'perform'?  :P
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7638 on: March 05, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »
And for something completely different:

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • An Ideal to Strive Towards
« Reply #7639 on: March 05, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »
And for something completely different:

Is that Darwin?
My posts no longer forum here.

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7640 on: March 05, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7641 on: March 05, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7642 on: March 05, 2010, 10:52:30 PM »
Conan's prayer to Crom. Why doesn't the Hallmark store sell this on plaques and fridge magnets?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8rw15_conan-s-prayer-to-crom_shortfilms

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #7643 on: March 06, 2010, 07:38:08 AM »
Its the Theotokos, Glykofilousia (Sweet-kissing)
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7644 on: March 06, 2010, 07:39:11 AM »
Its the Theotokos, Glykofilousia (Sweet-kissing)

Ah, thank you. It was hard for me to make out the image due to the strange symbols used. Pretty cool, though.

Online podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #7645 on: March 06, 2010, 08:35:30 AM »

Perhaps it was the 'other' Czech brewed Budweiser?  http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3469/is_26_55/ai_n8592333/

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7646 on: March 08, 2010, 04:17:34 AM »
No little gum freshens breath longer than Big Red.

So kiss a little longer, hold hands a little longer, hold tight a little longer; Longer with Big Red.
That Big Red freshness lasts right through it. Your fresh breath goes on and on while you chew it. Say goodbye a little longer; make it last a little longer. Give your breath long lasting freshness with Big Red.

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #7647 on: March 08, 2010, 01:09:17 PM »
There in no longer Big Red in Poland ;/
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7648 on: March 08, 2010, 03:36:23 PM »
Five days until Spring Break.  ;D

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7649 on: March 08, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
Five days until Spring Break.  ;D
What's Spring Break? ;) :(