Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2140525 times)

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #7380 on: January 25, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
10. Give yourself a day or two off every week. If you work out seven days a week, you will becom over-trained and you will not feel well nor workout well. You need at least one day each week for your muscles to rest both from cario and weight training. So on your days off from the gym, NO WORKING OUT.

You need more time than that to rest, at least if you're pushing yourself. Even on a heavy cycle, a 5 day a week workouts (3-4 hrs per day) is very taxing; unless you're also on a high dose of hGH a 6 day a week workout would be counter productive and even then, you still need to rotate muscles and intensities. (for anaerobic workouts, if you're an aerobic athlete you can easily work out daily, provided you vary the load properly).

The problem with just rotating muscles and not taking enough time off is that you're not just training specific muscle groups, you're also training ATP production, Lactate threshold, anaerobic threshold, bone density, and the nervous system throughout the skeletal-muscular system. Without either allowing time for this to rest (or using substances that accelerate regeneration), you won't be able to reach the full potential of your gains and will plateau far faster.
Agreed. I wasn't expecting a heavy work out load from the other poster. When I am lifting heavey, I only work out five days a week. OR I do three days, then a day off, three days, then a day off.
My posts no longer forum here.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #7381 on: January 25, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
10. Give yourself a day or two off every week. If you work out seven days a week, you will becom over-trained and you will not feel well nor workout well. You need at least one day each week for your muscles to rest both from cario and weight training. So on your days off from the gym, NO WORKING OUT.

You need more time than that to rest, at least if you're pushing yourself. Even on a heavy cycle, a 5 day a week workouts (3-4 hrs per day) is very taxing; unless you're also on a high dose of hGH a 6 day a week workout would be counter productive and even then, you still need to rotate muscles and intensities. (for anaerobic workouts, if you're an aerobic athlete you can easily work out daily, provided you vary the load properly).

The problem with just rotating muscles and not taking enough time off is that you're not just training specific muscle groups, you're also training ATP production, Lactate threshold, anaerobic threshold, bone density, and the nervous system throughout the skeletal-muscular system. Without either allowing time for this to rest (or using substances that accelerate regeneration), you won't be able to reach the full potential of your gains and will plateau far faster.
Agreed. I wasn't expecting a heavy work out load from the other poster. When I am lifting heavey, I only work out five days a week. OR I do three days, then a day off, three days, then a day off.

An eight day week would make developing workout routines and schedules so much easier. ;)
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7382 on: January 25, 2010, 08:21:44 PM »
Anyone notice all the Catholic vs. Orthodox debates on the forum lately?

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #7383 on: January 25, 2010, 09:53:38 PM »
Yeah, since we can't talk about homosexuals, we're forced to discuss the second worst people on Earth. ;D :laugh:
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #7384 on: January 25, 2010, 09:57:41 PM »
Yeah, since we can't talk about homosexuals, we're forced to discuss the second worst people on Earth. ;D :laugh:

Don't forget also that the Sunday just gone was the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee and we once again opened the book of the Triodion which is the door to the abyss containing the Purple Demons.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7385 on: January 25, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
Don't forget also that the Sunday just gone was the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee and we once again opened the book of the Triodion which is the door to the abyss containing the Purple Demons.

Amen.

I miss our old Seminary gag of wishing everyone "Happy Nameday" on Publican & Pharisee Sunday.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7386 on: January 25, 2010, 10:50:21 PM »
Wow, 207 posts to 400k.  We're really movin', eh?
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7387 on: January 25, 2010, 10:55:11 PM »

Amen.

I miss our old Seminary gag of wishing everyone "Happy Nameday" on Publican & Pharisee Sunday.
Nice.  ;D
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7388 on: January 25, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
Amen.

Nice.  ;D

A few parishioners appreciated that one yesterday, too.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #7389 on: January 26, 2010, 01:44:35 AM »
Well, imagine the worst headache you've had. Then make it so light makes it hurt worse. And sound makes it hurt worse. And movement makes it hurt worse. So... you're left to lay in bed motionless, in the dark, in silence, with the only thing you can do is think about how much your head hurts.   I'm glad that I haven't had one in a very long time! I once got one after a night of playing 007:Goldeneye with friends. I couldn't get the images of gunfire and exploding proximity mines out of my head. Not pleasant. :'( 8)

In medical terminology, when we hear someone say "worst headache of my life," the first thing that pops in our heads is subarachnoid hemorrhage.  But of course, not everyone's "worst headache" is that.  It's just the same as if someone comes into ER with chest pain, and we all start to be cautious about a heart attack.

I personally get mild migraines, throbbing and pulsating one sided headaches, especially when I am hypertensive, or if I grind my teeth when stressed.  Also, I don't get flairs, but when someone showed me a youtube video of a flair, I had a pretty bad headache.
A sincere question here: what do you by flair? I get headaches as well but I don't know what you mean by flair. Maybe I have had them and me not knowing :)

I apologize, I don't know why I said flair (or flare?).  I meant aura, to be more precise.  I'd give you a youtube video of an aura, but I don't want to encourage people here to watch it or their migraines can flare up.  But if you do a youtube search "optical migraine" the first video is a good example (and just gave me a headache right now, can't even listen to my own advice).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:48:34 AM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7390 on: January 26, 2010, 02:35:27 AM »

Yup.  It's Fat Week.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7391 on: January 26, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »
123 more posts until 400k!

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #7392 on: January 26, 2010, 01:24:48 PM »

Amen.

I called old friends to wish them xronia polla.  good times.  lol
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #7393 on: January 26, 2010, 01:25:33 PM »

Yup.  It's Fat Week.
Yah....i'm loosing my seminary touch.  totally forgot that this was a fast-free week.  good times man..
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7394 on: January 26, 2010, 01:40:42 PM »
123 more posts until 400k!

45 to go, unless someone has posted while I'm writing...  :D

make that less then 40
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:52:22 PM by Ebor »
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7395 on: January 26, 2010, 01:56:01 PM »
38 now.  We're really movin'!

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7396 on: January 26, 2010, 02:20:58 PM »
399,970 down, 30 to go.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7397 on: January 26, 2010, 02:28:23 PM »
Make that 26 to go... heheheh
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7398 on: January 26, 2010, 02:46:24 PM »
Am I the 400K caller?

oh....nvm :(
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:47:26 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7399 on: January 26, 2010, 03:03:25 PM »
Am I the 400K caller?

I'm trying to come up with a jest about postings and 401K, but it doesn't seem to lend itself to a bad pun or anything like that.

Ah well.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7400 on: January 26, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »
17 to go... Keep it up!

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7401 on: January 26, 2010, 03:08:45 PM »
I'm attempting to control myself and not post madly over and over.  Such would, of course, be self-serving since it would also push up my own post count (though it wouldn't be enough to get me to 5K).

;D

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7402 on: January 26, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »
I'm attempting to control myself and not post madly over and over.  Such would, of course, be self-serving since it would also push up my own post count (though it wouldn't be enough to get me to 5K).

;D

I'm sure there are people who've tallied the number of posts that you need in a very brief amount of time.  But if you're going for quality over quantity, then I say, "Bravo!"

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7403 on: January 26, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »

;D

I'm sure there are people who've tallied the number of posts that you need in a very brief amount of time.  But if you're going for quality over quantity, then I say, "Bravo!"

Well, I think that I almost always try for some quality in my postings. (except maybe for the ones with bad jokes or such like)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7404 on: January 26, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »
^ "Almost always" is better than my attempts.

Offline GammaRay

• The Awful Preacher
  • High Elder
  • Alexandros Papadiamantis
« Reply #7405 on: January 26, 2010, 05:18:39 PM »
This statement is false.
Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7406 on: January 26, 2010, 05:25:44 PM »
This statement is false.
Talk about contradicting yourself! :laugh:
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Shevchenko - extraordinary poet and top footballer
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #7407 on: January 26, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »

Do you mean me? ;)
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7408 on: January 26, 2010, 07:59:39 PM »
Am I the 400K caller?

I'm trying to come up with a jest about postings and 401K, but it doesn't seem to lend itself to a bad pun or anything like that.

Ah well.

Hi my name is Enron.  And I just became your 401K. :P

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7409 on: January 26, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »
I really did just LOL.  :D

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7410 on: January 26, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
I like this contradiction: "I always lie."

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #7411 on: January 26, 2010, 08:37:56 PM »

Reminds me of those Knight/Bandit reasoning questions, where one always tells the truth and the other always lies.  Ah, to be back in elementary school again.  :P
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #7412 on: January 26, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »

;D

ooh ooh!! pick me!!!
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7413 on: January 26, 2010, 09:16:53 PM »

Reminds me of those Knight/Bandit reasoning questions, where one always tells the truth and the other always lies.  Ah, to be back in elementary school again.  :P

I seem to recall Roy Sorensen looking at this kind of statement in his book A Brief History of the Paradox. I wonder how he'd like your comment about elementary school... maybe he should stop teaching college students and start teaching 4th graders  :P
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:17:09 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #7414 on: January 27, 2010, 07:48:01 AM »

Yep, I am *thoroughly* enjoying taking a back seat and watching you guys battle it out!

;)

Offline GammaRay

• The Awful Preacher
  • High Elder
  • Alexandros Papadiamantis
« Reply #7415 on: January 27, 2010, 08:37:01 AM »
A: Statement be is false.
B: Statement A is true.
::)

Where are all those Catholic VS Orthodox debates?! Someone, give me a link!
Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7416 on: January 27, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »

Yep, I am *thoroughly* enjoying taking a back seat and watching you guys battle it out!

;)
Haha. Your time will come again. LOL

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #7417 on: January 27, 2010, 01:13:50 PM »
Definition of "life is great":  Taking a Professor's 10 to 15 line induction proof and proving it in 2 lines using algebra.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7418 on: January 28, 2010, 04:54:47 AM »
Ok, you all who have played Dragon Age: Origins, now fess up... when you were doing that gauntlet on your way to getting the Urn of Sacred Ashes, and you got to the point where you had to make a bridge appear... you got help from online or a strategy book, didn't you?  Wait, am I just projecting? No, no, others must have been as perplexed as I was. I just can't imagine how long and boring a time it would be trying to figure that part of the game out. Bah!  ;)

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7419 on: January 28, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »
Ok, you all who have played Dragon Age: Origins, now fess up... when you were doing that gauntlet on your way to getting the Urn of Sacred Ashes, and you got to the point where you had to make a bridge appear... you got help from online or a strategy book, didn't you?  Wait, am I just projecting? No, no, others must have been as perplexed as I was. I just can't imagine how long and boring a time it would be trying to figure that part of the game out. Bah!  ;)
Yeah, after running around will all of my characters for several minutes, I really couldn't see a pattern emerging. Very clever puzzle.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7420 on: January 29, 2010, 11:33:13 AM »
What kind of marketing genius decided to name a medicine Aciphex (pronounced "ass effects")?  :D

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7421 on: January 29, 2010, 03:10:06 PM »
What kind of marketing genius decided to name a medicine Aciphex (pronounced "ass effects")?  :D
Probably the same ones who named Abilify.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7422 on: January 29, 2010, 03:11:07 PM »
Or it was the same person who decided that the Earth people should mine of "unobtainium" on Pandora.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #7423 on: January 29, 2010, 03:14:59 PM »
Or it was the same person who decided that the Earth people should mine of "unobtainium" on Pandora.
Yeah, people are least creative when they're trying to be clever.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7424 on: January 29, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »
Probably the same ones who named Abilify.

Well, yeah, not the greatest name, though as someone who takes Abilify I have to say that it seems to work fairly well. I wonder, does Aciphex also deliver on it's name?  :angel: