Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2291974 times)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #7110 on: December 16, 2009, 09:00:34 AM »
Did you all know that there's a week long Klingon camp in Minnesota every summer?  fantastic I tell you. 

You should be drawn to it... The Klingons have almost as developed a knife tradition as the Serbs! ;)
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #7111 on: December 16, 2009, 11:24:45 AM »
Did you all know that there's a week long Klingon camp in Minnesota every summer?  fantastic I tell you. 

You should be drawn to it... The Klingons have almost as developed a knife tradition as the Serbs! ;)

Yah they also do hand to hand combat as a means of romance with their mates...

....well....maybe its not so different after all... ;) ;)
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7112 on: December 16, 2009, 01:44:11 PM »

Yah they also do hand to hand combat as a means of romance with their mates...

....well....maybe its not so different after all... ;) ;)

LOL.  Kindred spirits.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #7113 on: December 16, 2009, 02:38:46 PM »
"Cleave" is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7114 on: December 16, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »
"Cleave" is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate.

I know.  Pretty cool, huh? :)
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7115 on: December 16, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »

I haven't thought of it in the disjointed way before (only "cleave is the only word I know that can mean opposite things").

Online PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7116 on: December 16, 2009, 03:47:25 PM »

I haven't thought of it in the disjointed way before (only "cleave is the only word I know that can mean opposite things").
On the other end of the spectrum, you have two opposite phrases that mean the same thing: "fat chance" and "slim chance".
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7117 on: December 16, 2009, 04:52:12 PM »

On the other end of the spectrum, you have two opposite phrases that mean the same thing: "fat chance" and "slim chance".

Maybe they can get together and create a "physically fit chance."

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7118 on: December 17, 2009, 02:14:28 AM »
"And I took the butcher knife, and put it up to her neck. I said 'If you want to live to see tomorrow, you better start fryin them eggs a little bit better than what you are fryin them. I'm tired of eatin sloppy, slimy eggs.'"

Anyone know what movie this quote is from? It's used as a sample in a song I listen to (Hail to Fire by Mastodon), and I was just curious as to it's origin.

Nevermind. I forgot the first rule of the modern age. Always check wiki first!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:16:46 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7119 on: December 17, 2009, 02:21:05 AM »
"And I took the butcher knife, and put it up to her neck. I said 'If you want to live to see tomorrow, you better start fryin them eggs a little bit better than what you are fryin them. I'm tired of eatin sloppy, slimy eggs.'"

Anyone know what movie this quote is from? It's used as a sample in a song I listen to (Hail to Fire by Mastodon), and I was just curious as to it's origin.

^ LOL - I just googled and found it, too! I've never heard of the film, though.
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #7120 on: December 17, 2009, 02:21:14 AM »

I was reading the comments regarding an article on actress Tara Reid and one commentator mentioned that she was the daughter of Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid.  After checking with wikipedia, Andy Reid has 2 daughters and neither of them is named Tara.

One day, someone will write that Internet commentators brought down the West.  Where's Gibbon when you need him?   ???

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #7121 on: December 17, 2009, 04:59:28 AM »

Maybe they can get together and create a "physically fit chance."

that is so cool and so hot!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7122 on: December 17, 2009, 05:20:17 AM »
Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Heaven and Hell, and Motorhead are all going to be at the Sonisphere Festival in Switzerland next June. I think my head just exploded from the pure awesomeness of thinking about all those bands (minus H&H) playing their early material. The flyer says many more bands to be added. If they add Mastodon, this would reach such a level that I'd be forced to rob a bank so that I could afford to go!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:20:57 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7123 on: December 17, 2009, 09:59:34 AM »

^ LOL - I just googled and found it, too! I've never heard of the film, though.

Neither have I.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7124 on: December 17, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »
Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Heaven and Hell, and Motorhead are all going to be at the Sonisphere Festival in Switzerland next June. I think my head just exploded from the pure awesomeness of thinking about all those bands (minus H&H) playing their early material. The flyer says many more bands to be added. If they add Mastodon, this would reach such a level that I'd be forced to rob a bank so that I could afford to go!  ;D

Oh, man, I'd lvoe to see that.  I've seen all those bands live (excepting Heaven and Hell) and had a great time at each.  The best was Anthrax opening up for Megadeth.  Oh, man that was sweet.  Do you think they may add Iron Maiden?

BTW, what do you have against Heaven and Hell?  I particularly like the Black SAbbath incarnations with Dio.  On another note, it's been reported that Dio has cancer; I'm surprised he would agree given his condition, but, if he can do it, great.

If you need help robbing a bank, let me know!

(disclaimer:  OCnet does not condone the crime of stealing or armed robbery)

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7125 on: December 17, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »

Oh, man, I'd lvoe to see that.  I've seen all those bands live (excepting Heaven and Hell) and had a great time at each.  The best was Anthrax opening up for Megadeth.  Oh, man that was sweet.  Do you think they may add Iron Maiden?

BTW, what do you have against Heaven and Hell?  I particularly like the Black SAbbath incarnations with Dio.  On another note, it's been reported that Dio has cancer; I'm surprised he would agree given his condition, but, if he can do it, great.

That's cool that you've gotten to see all those bands. Of those bands, I've had to settle for seeing Metallica and Megadeth a couple times each. That'd be awesome if they could add Maiden, though I have no clue as to the chances of that. Regarding Heaven and Hell, I didn't mean to slight them, I was just under the impression that they couldn't play older (Sabbath) material because of a legal dispute with Ozzy, though I could certainly be wrong about that. If they can play their older material, I'd certainly enjoy listening to it. I've also heard good things about their recent album.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7126 on: December 17, 2009, 02:39:56 PM »
(disclaimer:  OCnet does not condone the crime of stealing or armed robbery)

OC.net may very well not condone listening to Metal, either... But I don't see that disclaimer in your post ;)

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7127 on: December 17, 2009, 02:55:02 PM »
[
That's cool that you've gotten to see all those bands. Of those bands, I've had to settle for seeing Metallica and Megadeth a couple times each. That'd be awesome if they could add Maiden, though I have no clue as to the chances of that. Regarding Heaven and Hell, I didn't mean to slight them, I was just under the impression that they couldn't play older (Sabbath) material because of a legal dispute with Ozzy, though I could certainly be wrong about that. If they can play their older material, I'd certainly enjoy listening to it. I've also heard good things about their recent album.

OK.  Yeah, you should check out H&H's new album. It's really, really good.  If you want I can pm you some of the tracks since it's all on my hard drive.

OC.net may very well not condone listening to Metal, either... But I don't see that disclaimer in your post ;)

Listening to metal isn't a crime, Fr.!   ;D

Offline mersch

• Elder
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #7128 on: December 17, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »
[

OK.  Yeah, you should check out H&H's new album. It's really, really good.  If you want I can pm you some of the tracks since it's all on my hard drive.

Listening to metal isn't a crime, Fr.!   ;D

In my house it is, LOL!!! 

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7129 on: December 17, 2009, 04:34:33 PM »
OK.  Yeah, you should check out H&H's new album. It's really, really good.  If you want I can pm you some of the tracks since it's all on my hard drive.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll probably be getting it at some point next year, so that's not necessary. :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:34:56 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7130 on: December 17, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »
Listening to metal isn't a crime

Why does this quote transport me back to the '80's & early '90's?

Offline Robert W

• Self-appointed forum herald
  • Elder
  • Love is no feeling
« Reply #7131 on: December 18, 2009, 07:27:06 AM »
I just realized that it is possible to add pictures to your signature. Beware of sig-pic spam OC!!  8)

*EVIL LAUGHTER*

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7132 on: December 18, 2009, 12:37:24 PM »

Because that is when metal reigned supreme before the onslaught of rock-rap, grunge and other inferior forms of music.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #7133 on: December 18, 2009, 09:14:01 PM »
Based on the Forum home page, 14,968 posts (after this one) to go until 400,000.

Fr. George can give a more accurate number.   :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:14:21 PM by SolEX01 »

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #7134 on: December 18, 2009, 11:14:52 PM »
Metal isn't really music...
"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #7135 on: December 18, 2009, 11:39:04 PM »
Listening to metal isn't a crime, Fr.!   ;D

True, but it should be!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:39:21 PM by HandmaidenofGod »
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7136 on: December 19, 2009, 12:03:39 AM »
Listening to metal isn't a crime, Fr.!   ;D

True, but it should be!  :laugh:

Awww, Handmaiden, you disappoint me!  :laugh:
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #7137 on: December 20, 2009, 02:35:32 AM »
Based on the Forum home page, 14,968 posts (after this one) to go until 400,000.

is that for the whole forum?
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #7138 on: December 20, 2009, 03:13:54 AM »

Yes, for entire forum.
Down to 14,666 after this one.  I'm citing the post count on the forum home page.  I don't know what dispensations are made for deleted posts and threads.   ???

At about 300 posts a day, 400,000 will be seen in early February.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 03:14:09 AM by SolEX01 »

Online Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #7139 on: December 20, 2009, 03:38:00 AM »
The baby likes to cry at night!

Offline mersch

• Elder
« Reply #7140 on: December 21, 2009, 11:26:50 AM »
The baby likes to cry at night!
Yes they do, but don't worry, I can pretty much guarantee by the time the little bundle of joy turns 30, it'll stop ;D

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7141 on: December 21, 2009, 11:30:37 AM »

Fr. George can give a more accurate number.   :)

Yes, for entire forum.
Down to 14,666 after this one.  I'm citing the post count on the forum home page.  I don't know what dispensations are made for deleted posts and threads.   ???

At about 300 posts a day, 400,000 will be seen in early February.

14,314 after this one.  And for this month, we've been just north of 400/day (the last two days have brought us below that pace, but I'm sure we'll rebound).  If that pace were to be maintained, we'd hit 400k before the end of January.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7142 on: December 21, 2009, 11:31:16 AM »
Metal isn't really music...

At least, not according to physics...

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7143 on: December 21, 2009, 11:32:51 AM »

Because that is when metal reigned supreme before the onslaught of rock-rap, grunge and other inferior forms of music.

I was actually referring to the need of Metal fans in the '80's to justify their brand of music in the face of public dismissal of it.

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7144 on: December 21, 2009, 05:21:55 PM »
Bravo has strong recognition among the young and among gay viewers in the United States. A study released in May 2008 ranked Bravo as the most recognizable brand among gay consumers. - Source

3-4 shows that I like are on the cable channel Bravo... am I turning gay?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:22:10 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #7145 on: December 21, 2009, 08:41:49 PM »
Bravo has strong recognition among the young and among gay viewers in the United States. A study released in May 2008 ranked Bravo as the most recognizable brand among gay consumers. - Source

Not necessarily. You could be young.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7146 on: December 21, 2009, 08:46:12 PM »
3-4 shows that I like are on the cable channel Bravo... am I turning gay?  ;D

Which is worse? ;)

(YES I'M KIDDING - Some people may think that this disclaimer is unnecessary.  Spend enough time on OC.net, and you'll realize it's not.)

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7147 on: December 22, 2009, 04:08:13 PM »

That's true. But here's some more evidence: yesterday I bought some Black Haus (Blackberry Schnapps) from the wine and spirits store. That can't be more than a step or two above girlie wine coolers, can it?  :angel:

Offline mersch

• Elder
« Reply #7148 on: December 22, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
yea, no longer a "junior" member, just glad it says member, and not have a "senior" in front of it, LOL, senior moments-I can go for that-starting to have a few, but not senor member, LOL

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #7149 on: December 22, 2009, 05:42:55 PM »
yea, no longer a "junior" member, just glad it says member, and not have a "senior" in front of it, LOL, senior moments-I can go for that-starting to have a few, but not senor member, LOL

Don't worry, sticking around here for too long will accelerate the aging process. ;)
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7150 on: December 22, 2009, 05:46:40 PM »

Don't worry - your "senior member" moments won't start for another 349 posts.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7151 on: December 22, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »

Don't worry, sticking around here for too long will accelerate the aging process. ;)

Are you saying that we should change some of our high posting titles to "Rookie curmudgeon," "Average curmudgeon," "Senior Curmudgeon," "Curmudgeon trainer," and "Statler & Waldorf"?

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #7152 on: December 22, 2009, 06:21:56 PM »

Are you saying that we should change some of our high posting titles to "Rookie curmudgeon," "Average curmudgeon," "Senior Curmudgeon," "Curmudgeon trainer," and "Statler & Waldorf"?

Well, they'd probably be more applicable to many of our members than Toumarches or Hypatos. ;)
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #7153 on: December 22, 2009, 06:26:29 PM »
Heck, I can't even remember what the office of the Toumarches was to be honest. ;)

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7154 on: December 23, 2009, 12:50:30 AM »

I don't think that I'm a curmudgeon and I'm pretty high up on the posting list.   ;)
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.