Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2015559 times)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #6975 on: December 07, 2009, 11:00:55 PM »
According to my post total, I need a hobby.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:01:04 PM by Fr. George »
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #6976 on: December 07, 2009, 11:02:58 PM »
I just had to share this.  This one of the funniest skits I've ever seen on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBsdV--kLoQ
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline mersch

« Reply #6977 on: December 08, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
I don't  wanna go to work today, no how no way!!!!  Ahhhh, the joys of being independently unwealthy!! LOL

So its of to work I go, and I will chose to have a great day...................

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6978 on: December 08, 2009, 10:01:40 PM »
So, here I am, watching the Biggest Loser finale, and making a whole box of Mac and Cheese for dinner  :D
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #6979 on: December 09, 2009, 11:24:53 AM »
I wonder if I will make 4000 posts by the end of the year.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6980 on: December 09, 2009, 11:29:51 AM »
I wonder if I will make 4000 posts by the end of the year.

(Intent + determination) * action = success!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:30:06 AM by Fr. George »
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #6981 on: December 09, 2009, 02:23:26 PM »
After helping to tutor some students this morning who "only had four problems to do," I have established the Law of Mathematical Homework: The amount of homework assigned in a mathematics course is inversely proportional to the difficulty of the problems.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #6982 on: December 09, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »
After helping to tutor some students this morning who "only had four problems to do," I have established the Law of Mathematical Homework: The amount of homework assigned in a mathematics course is inversely proportional to the difficulty of the problems.
LOL. My state has a very low S.E.S. If we assign homework too often, we can be assured that less than half of our students will complete it. I usually only give home work three nigths a week and I only assign five to ten problems per assignment. When we are covering simple problems like solving two step equations, I will give ten problems. When we are doing very long drawn out problems like solving systems of equations, I will assign five problems. All other drill and practice is done in class.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #6983 on: December 09, 2009, 03:21:26 PM »
LOL. My state has a very low S.E.S. If we assign homework too often, we can be assured that less than half of our students will complete it. I usually only give home work three nigths a week and I only assign five to ten problems per assignment. When we are covering simple problems like solving two step equations, I will give ten problems. When we are doing very long drawn out problems like solving systems of equations, I will assign five problems. All other drill and practice is done in class.
What is a S.E.S.?

I still remember, in high school, being constantly bombarded with tonnes of homework each night.  Though, looking back, I cannot believe I thought *that* was a heavy workload. :P
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #6984 on: December 09, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »
I could do all my high school homework in less than an hour; afterwards, I rode my bike when the weather was nice.   :D

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #6985 on: December 09, 2009, 03:24:47 PM »
What is a S.E.S.?

I still remember, in high school, being constantly bombarded with tonnes of homework each night.  Though, looking back, I cannot believe I thought *that* was a heavy workload. :P
Socio-economic status.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6986 on: December 09, 2009, 03:52:12 PM »
I can't count how many high school classes I got B's in instead of A's because I flat out refused to do most the homework. In general it's useless busy work that doesn't teach you anything not covered in the lecture, what's the point?
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #6987 on: December 09, 2009, 03:57:38 PM »
I can't count how many high school classes I got B's in instead of A's because I flat out refused to do most the homework. In general it's useless busy work that doesn't teach you anything not covered in the lecture, what's the point?

to make you conformed, disciplined, and in general a good boy
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #6988 on: December 09, 2009, 03:58:26 PM »
There is alot less lecturing in the High School classroom these days. Its more about discovery learning and higher level thinking skills. The home work is there to drill the basic skills.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6989 on: December 09, 2009, 04:03:17 PM »

Well, we can see that didn't work ;)
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6990 on: December 09, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
There is alot less lecturing in the High School classroom these days. Its more about discovery learning and higher level thinking skills. The home work is there to drill the basic skills.

Sounds like people are trying to blame poor teaching methods and abilities on S.E.C. ;D

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #6991 on: December 09, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »

Sounds like people are trying to blame poor teaching methods and abilities on S.E.C. ;D
Are you suggesting that lecture is a better teaching method?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:05:52 PM by Papist »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6992 on: December 09, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »

Some people get it without the homework, some people need the repetition to understand the underlying principle.  For being a man of the people, you sure don't do well understanding different learning needs...

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6993 on: December 09, 2009, 04:08:43 PM »

Having been forced to endure some of the teaching methods you speak of in Secondary School...I'd say that without the hint of hesitation or doubt. Nothing like taking a month to teach a subject that should take one lecture hour.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6994 on: December 09, 2009, 04:11:01 PM »

You will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6995 on: December 09, 2009, 04:15:12 PM »

Some people get it without the homework, some people need the repetition to understand the underlying principle.  For being a man of the people, you sure don't do well understanding different learning needs...

But you know me well enough to know that I'm also an elitist when it comes to academic circles; especially the most reverend and esteemed discipline of mathematics...heck, I get offended when engineers use mathematical principles they are unable to derive and prove using the fundamental axioms of number theory, analysis, and topology. ;)

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6996 on: December 09, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »
I find one of the major problems is that theory is becoming a footnote to application.  I.e.:  First year chem students who love "lab work", but still are dumbfounded by basic reaction stoichiometry.  Application can be used to help explain theory, but should never replace it.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #6997 on: December 09, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »

Having been forced to endure some of the teaching methods you speak of in Secondary School...I'd say that without the hint of hesitation or doubt. Nothing like taking a month to teach a subject that should take one lecture hour.
Look, lecture is for me the best method of learning. But I am a fairly intelligent person, as are you. However, for most students this method does not work as well. In fact, most research demonstrates that of all the teaching methods regurlarly used, lecture has the least positive effect. Sorry to say that this but for the masses, there is no evidence that lectures are effective.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6998 on: December 09, 2009, 04:36:25 PM »
I find one of the major problems is that theory is becoming a footnote to application.  I.e.:  First year chem students who love "lab work", but still are dumbfounded by basic reaction stoichiometry.  Application can be used to help explain theory, but should never replace it.

The teaching of practice without theory is a huge problem in modern education and without a grasp of theory, students will never fully understand or appreciate the practical implications. The one University that I'm aware of that has made at least decent inroads to correcting this paradigm is MIT.

How can you teach 'basic algebra' without having first introduced groups, rings, and fields? Why jump to applied calculus without covering analysis? What good is programming without a grasp of algorithmic analysis and digital logic? Who ever thought of teaching Classical Mechanics without at least enough Relativity and Quantum Mechanics to explain WHY it works that way? And what good does it do anyone to be able to name all the parts of a cell on a cartoon picture if you don't grasp neural networks, cell signaling, evolutionary biology, etc.?

We're behind in the sciences because we don't teach the sciences, we teach out of the Cliff's notes, teach just enough to past the (dumbed down) tests.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:39:34 PM by GiC »

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6999 on: December 09, 2009, 04:53:24 PM »

Look, lecture is for me the best method of learning. But I am a fairly intelligent person, as are you. However, for most students this method does not work as well. In fact, most research demonstrates that of all the teaching methods regurlarly used, lecture has the least positive effect. Sorry to say that this but for the masses, there is no evidence that lectures are effective.

I remember in high school that we spent probably a semester (between Pre-Calculus and Calculus I) teaching the concept of an integral. 'Exploring' this idea of area under the curve being approximated by rectangles, belabouring a concept as simple as the limit week after week, then doing it all again the following year. It's a VERY simple concept, one lecture to introduce the concept, one more to provide the theoretical background, two more to derive the 'rules' used for practical application...with class every day, that's LESS than ONE WEEK. If it would make people feel better, you could spend the last day of that week going over examples to make the concept obvious (as though it wouldn't be already), the next week you could move on to something else.

Lecture is a better approach for two reasons, first it gives you all the information in a logically ordered fashion making it much easier to grasp and internalize the subject than the shotgun approach of 'exploration'. Secondly, and most importantly, the lecture is MUCH more efficient, as I discussed above, you can do in a week what in some schools today will occupy a semester. Education takes long enough without slowing instruction down to a snail's pace, to do so wastes time that could be spent on other topics, DEPRIVING students of the education they deserve.

There's a place for 'exploration', we call it research. It's MUCH harder, not easier, than learning from a lecture. Giving the choice of 'exploring' the Riemann Hypothesis myself or sitting down and have someone lecture me on how it's proven, I certainly know what choice I'd take; unfortunately, we enjoy no such luxury on this matter. If someone thinks mathematical research is easier than a lecture on mathematics, they'd do much better to start publishing their own original proofs than sitting through a high school math class.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7000 on: December 09, 2009, 05:28:33 PM »
^ How about Dean of Dignified Discussion?

:)  Don't Deans have be be appointed or chosen as opposed to claiming the title on their own?   If so, I guess it would be the Moderators and Admins who would be the committee...  ;D

Come on, that's not the American way. Just look at the way Americans have screwed up reinvented the martial arts, with all sorts of people creating their own styles and declaring themselves super duper 10th dan supreme grand masters. Just declare yourself dean, and ignore the naysayers!  :P

It would be so wrong.  Peer review of ones work and not promoting oneself is the proper way for Deans, I think.   ;) :)
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7001 on: December 09, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »

Some people get it without the homework, some people need the repetition to understand the underlying principle.  For being a man of the people, you sure don't do well understanding different learning needs...

But you know me well enough to know that I'm also an elitist when it comes to academic circles; especially the most reverend and esteemed discipline of mathematics...heck, I get offended when engineers use mathematical principles they are unable to derive and prove using the fundamental axioms of number theory, analysis, and topology. ;)

Let's face it - your elitism has been waning lately.  4 years ago your last statement would have said "heck, I get offended by engineers" instead of its current form.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7002 on: December 09, 2009, 05:51:30 PM »

:)  Don't Deans have be be appointed or chosen as opposed to claiming the title on their own?   If so, I guess it would be the Moderators and Admins who would be the committee...  ;D

Come on, that's not the American way. Just look at the way Americans have screwed up reinvented the martial arts, with all sorts of people creating their own styles and declaring themselves super duper 10th dan supreme grand masters. Just declare yourself dean, and ignore the naysayers!  :P

It would be so wrong.  Peer review of ones work and not promoting oneself is the proper way for Deans, I think.   ;) :)

What about the Dean of Mean, Keith Jardine? He's terrible, but he doesn't let that stop him...

"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7003 on: December 09, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »

I remember in high school that we spent probably a semester (between Pre-Calculus and Calculus I) teaching the concept of an integral. 'Exploring' this idea of area under the curve being approximated by rectangles, belabouring a concept as simple as the limit week after week, then doing it all again the following year. It's a VERY simple concept, one lecture to introduce the concept, one more to provide the theoretical background, two more to derive the 'rules' used for practical application...with class every day, that's LESS than ONE WEEK. If it would make people feel better, you could spend the last day of that week going over examples to make the concept obvious (as though it wouldn't be already), the next week you could move on to something else.

Lecture is a better approach for two reasons, first it gives you all the information in a logically ordered fashion making it much easier to grasp and internalize the subject than the shotgun approach of 'exploration'. Secondly, and most importantly, the lecture is MUCH more efficient, as I discussed above, you can do in a week what in some schools today will occupy a semester. Education takes long enough without slowing instruction down to a snail's pace, to do so wastes time that could be spent on other topics, DEPRIVING students of the education they deserve.

There's a place for 'exploration', we call it research. It's MUCH harder, not easier, than learning from a lecture. Giving the choice of 'exploring' the Riemann Hypothesis myself or sitting down and have someone lecture me on how it's proven, I certainly know what choice I'd take; unfortunately, we enjoy no such luxury on this matter. If someone thinks mathematical research is easier than a lecture on mathematics, they'd do much better to start publishing their own original proofs than sitting through a high school math class.
Which is all good and fine except for the fact that all the data from actual research suggests that lecture is the weekest form of teaching with the smallest effect size.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #7004 on: December 09, 2009, 07:29:25 PM »

Which is all good and fine except for the fact that all the data from actual research suggests that lecture is the weekest form of teaching with the smallest effect size.

One thing I've noticed with lectures is that those who pay attention and don't allow their minds to wonder do just fine with them, if someone isn't going to bother paying attention, why should we care if they get anything out of it? I'd be curious how effective it would be if you only took into account those who actually paid attention?

But more to the point, do you have an 'exploration' based curriculum that can present information as quickly and efficiently as a lecture? My primary argument against non-lecture formats has always been that they waste time.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7005 on: December 09, 2009, 07:51:26 PM »

One thing I've noticed with lectures is that those who pay attention and don't allow their minds to wonder do just fine with them, if someone isn't going to bother paying attention, why should we care if they get anything out of it? I'd be curious how effective it would be if you only took into account those who actually paid attention?
Well, you are probably gonna be concerned about it and that student fails in school, ends up and welfare, and robs you at the ATM.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #7006 on: December 09, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »

What about the Dean of Mean, Keith Jardine?
He may be average, but at least he's at the top of average.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #7007 on: December 09, 2009, 08:07:53 PM »

To be fair Father, a large percentage of that total was made prior to your marriage, the birth of your daughter, and your ordination. I am sure in the upcoming years, your daily post average will go down. ;)
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7008 on: December 09, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »
He may be average, but at least he's at the top of average.

What an awful joke.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7009 on: December 09, 2009, 08:34:39 PM »

Well, you are probably gonna be concerned about it and that student fails in school, ends up and welfare, and robs you at the ATM.
Wow. I am gonna call myself out here. Was drunk while typing?

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7010 on: December 09, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »

To be fair Father, a large percentage of that total was made prior to your marriage, the birth of your daughter, and your ordination. I am sure in the upcoming years, your daily post average will go down. ;)  

Don't go by time - you've got to go by rate.  My posting rate after my marriage is 12.2/day.  Since the birth of my daughter, about 9.13/day.  And since Ordination, 12.4/day.  Each of those is higher than my overall average of 7.44/day.

Of course, my overall average is affected by the fact that in my first year I only made 173 posts (to contrast, I've already made well more than that this month).  My average minus the first year is in the mid- to upper-9's.  

(Yes, I like statistical analysis.  At least to a limited degree.)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #7011 on: December 09, 2009, 09:48:44 PM »
I'm just 342 posts away (counting this one) from the next milestone as I continue my posting fast to lower my average to 8 posts per day or less by my 2nd anniversary on this forum.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7012 on: December 09, 2009, 11:49:56 PM »
Posts are for toast!

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7013 on: December 10, 2009, 12:16:34 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-2Xw-GNkUQ

Such a cool looking CG of the medical future.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7014 on: December 10, 2009, 12:20:44 AM »
That graphic reminded me of borg nanoprobes... is the future pre-determined!? Is resistance futile!?

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7015 on: December 10, 2009, 12:24:21 AM »
That graphic reminded me of borg nanoprobes... is the future pre-determined!? Is resistance futile!?

I believe resistance to the future integration with technology is futile.  :P

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #7016 on: December 10, 2009, 12:33:44 AM »

Don't go by time - you've got to go by rate.  My posting rate after my marriage is 12.2/day.  Since the birth of my daughter, about 9.13/day.  And since Ordination, 12.4/day.  Each of those is higher than my overall average of 7.44/day.

Of course, my overall average is affected by the fact that in my first year I only made 173 posts (to contrast, I've already made well more than that this month).  My average minus the first year is in the mid- to upper-9's. 

(Yes, I like statistical analysis.  At least to a limited degree.)

Okay, this post alone shows that you need a hobby, as you had the time and mental energy to look all that information up and analyze it. LOL
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #7017 on: December 10, 2009, 12:35:07 AM »
Wow. I am gonna call myself out here. Was drunk while typing?

Drunk still you are.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7018 on: December 10, 2009, 12:50:38 AM »
Kevin lost on Top Chef. He was my favorite contestant, but I must admit that he sort of confused me. He seemed to be a pious Catholic (wore a rosary, abstained from meat during Lent, etc.), yet he had no issues dropping F-bombs on national television. *shrugs* Anyway...  maybe I was just a fan of his beard... supposedly his beard had it's own fan club on facebook.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #7019 on: December 10, 2009, 12:55:36 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-2Xw-GNkUQ

Such a cool looking CG of the medical future.

I can imagine Glen Beck seeing this and talking about the end of the world and new world order.

But if they can can make neurobots, do you know how many nervous conditions we can cure?  Christopher Reeves and Ronald Reagan would have dreamed of this day.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.