Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2136215 times)

Offline mersch

Re: Random Postings
« Reply #6930 on: December 05, 2009, 02:03:07 AM »
1. Women blink twice as often as men.
2. Increased blinking is a non-verbal sign that someone is lying.
3. Therefore, women lie more often than men!

But we all knew that already :P

ROFL-that's funny, and I'm one of em!!!!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #6931 on: December 05, 2009, 03:04:08 AM »
I used to have an awesome math brain, and then it atrophied  :'(
I fear that by teaching only high school math I will eventually lose all of my higher math skills that I developed in college.
:(

Use it or lose it!

So true...I used to do math when I get bored or sleepy to wake me up.  And when I was presented with a really hard problem (a solve for x problem), one day I spent 7 hours until I solved for that x.  Me and a friend used to challenge each other with problems (never paid attention to our FST/PDM classes in high school) to kill the boredom, while everyone else was playing games in their TI-83.  And college was the best.  I was forced to retake Calculus I and II even though I got a 5 on my AP.  Best times.  My friend and I would come to class and sleep and then on random days, we would get exams and quizes when we didn't even know we had exams and quizzes, and aced them.  I spent time trying to define infinity on my own, but I lost that work...and it's somewhere in the basement back in our NJ home.

Ah, yes...those were good geeky times.  My sister (who like I was is a math geek) decided to go back to math and took Calc III, and now she realizes how much she loves it, and is deciding to change her minor to a Math one.  Smart girl, wish I did the same.

Wow....too long for a Random Post....sheesh...sorry if I bored anyone who isn't interested.  WARNING:  GEEKY MATH REMINISCENCE
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #6932 on: December 05, 2009, 03:15:02 AM »

Wow....too long for a Random Post....sheesh...sorry if I bored anyone who isn't interested.  WARNING:  GEEKY MATH REMINISCENCE

You're in the company of fellow geeks here ;) I sometimes frequent a site where, if someone posts something even moderately long, they will include cliffs for what they're saying, and 50% or more of the forum won't bother reading anything in the thread if there aren't cliffs, they'll just post and say that they didn't read the OP. I could just imagine some of the cliffs you'd see on this site...

- Watched a youtube video
- Greek Orthodox are heretics
- Everyone should become true Orthodox

:P

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #6933 on: December 05, 2009, 02:19:43 PM »
I fear that by teaching only high school math I will eventually lose all of my higher math skills that I developed in college.

Use it or lose it!

So true...I used to do math when I get bored or sleepy to wake me up.  And when I was presented with a really hard problem (a solve for x problem), one day I spent 7 hours until I solved for that x.  Me and a friend used to challenge each other with problems (never paid attention to our FST/PDM classes in high school) to kill the boredom, while everyone else was playing games in their TI-83.  And college was the best.  I was forced to retake Calculus I and II even though I got a 5 on my AP.  Best times.  My friend and I would come to class and sleep and then on random days, we would get exams and quizes when we didn't even know we had exams and quizzes, and aced them.  I spent time trying to define infinity on my own, but I lost that work...and it's somewhere in the basement back in our NJ home.

Ah, yes...those were good geeky times.  My sister (who like I was is a math geek) decided to go back to math and took Calc III, and now she realizes how much she loves it, and is deciding to change her minor to a Math one.  Smart girl, wish I did the same.

Kidding... :) 
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #6934 on: December 05, 2009, 02:54:38 PM »
1. Women blink twice as often as men.
2. Increased blinking is a non-verbal sign that someone is lying.
3. Therefore, women lie more often than men!

But we all knew that already :P

Fascinating...
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #6935 on: December 05, 2009, 03:28:47 PM »
What exactly does Calc III teach?  Is it multivariate calculus?  We don't tend to name things up here in terms of I, II, and III.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #6936 on: December 05, 2009, 03:37:29 PM »
What exactly does Calc III teach?  Is it multivariate calculus?  We don't tend to name things up here in terms of I, II, and III.

You are correct.  In the US, Calc III is usually Multivariate Calculus with introductions to partial derivatives, Gradients and other fun stuff.   ;D

Calc IV is Ordinary Differential Equations.  Partial Differential Equations are reserved for Senior level / Grad level.

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6937 on: December 05, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »
You are correct.  In the US, Calc III is usually Multivariate Calculus with introductions to partial derivatives, Gradients and other fun stuff.   ;D

Calc IV is Ordinary Differential Equations.  Partial Differential Equations are reserved for Senior level / Grad level.

Ah okay, we tend to just call it as it is up here.  :P
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:45:46 PM by Nebelpfade »
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6938 on: December 05, 2009, 03:58:30 PM »
You are correct.  In the US, Calc III is usually Multivariate Calculus with introductions to partial derivatives, Gradients and other fun stuff.   ;D

Calc IV is Ordinary Differential Equations.  Partial Differential Equations are reserved for Senior level / Grad level.

Ah okay, we tend to just call it as it is up here.  :P

So all of a sudden Canada is the "straight talk express." LOL
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6939 on: December 05, 2009, 04:00:10 PM »

LOL!  What can I say, we like our course titles' wordy.  :P

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6940 on: December 05, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »

LOL!  What can I say, we like our course titles' wordy.  :P

And we like ours to be non-descriptive! ;)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6941 on: December 05, 2009, 08:51:46 PM »
Yes, multivariable is how my sister described it to me.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #6942 on: December 06, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »
ZOMG guyz i just saw this advertisement on the tele for some camera that said they had moving pictures now i think they should call them "movies" wat do u guyz think ok that's it bye

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6943 on: December 06, 2009, 08:03:32 PM »
ZOMG guyz i just saw this advertisement on the tele for some camera that said they had moving pictures now i think they should call them "movies" wat do u guyz think ok that's it bye

LOL.  Thanks for that.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6944 on: December 06, 2009, 08:30:29 PM »

:o Can you print it, like the ones they have in Hogwarts and the wizarding world?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 08:30:41 PM by minasoliman »

Online Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #6945 on: December 06, 2009, 08:33:14 PM »
Three and a half pages left to go (for this particular paper).

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #6946 on: December 06, 2009, 08:36:42 PM »

I fear that I've never had higher math skills to begin with!  :laugh:

(There is a reason I am a History major!)
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Online Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6947 on: December 06, 2009, 08:40:11 PM »
(There is a reason I am a History major!)

I am guilty of this as well!

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #6948 on: December 06, 2009, 08:42:08 PM »
- Watched a youtube video
- Greek Orthodox are heretics
- Everyone should become true Orthodox

:P

LOL Awesome!
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6949 on: December 06, 2009, 08:44:55 PM »
I'm not sure if this correlates, but my parents never read to me when I was young, and I ended up being horrible in Literature classes.  But they did, and I kid you not, create math problems for me during summer breaks.

My dad always told me, "It's a shame that an Egyptian would get a 99 on a math test.  That is failure in our eyes!"

And if there's extra credit, then any point below the max score would be failure.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 08:45:55 PM by minasoliman »

Online Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6950 on: December 06, 2009, 08:49:06 PM »
"It's a shame that an Egyptian would get a 99 on a math test.  That is failure in our eyes!"

Does this have something to do with the notion that Egyptians are the forefathers of astronomy and mathematics, hearken back to the old great schools of Alexandria?

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6951 on: December 06, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
"It's a shame that an Egyptian would get a 99 on a math test.  That is failure in our eyes!"

Does this have something to do with the notion that Egyptians are the forefathers of astronomy and mathematics, hearken back to the old great schools of Alexandria?

Yes...Egyptians have that type of pride that we should be the smartest people in math so we don't let our ancestors down, "the ancestors whose genius built the Pyramids," and stuff like that.

In Egypt, it used to be that the two best professions and the hardest schools to get in to were those of medicine and engineering.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 08:55:00 PM by minasoliman »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6952 on: December 06, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »
Three and a half pages left to go (for this particular paper).

If your 3 1/2 pages are like OC.net 3 1/2 pages, then you'll need about 160 more posts to finish.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6953 on: December 06, 2009, 09:03:17 PM »
"the ancestors whose genius built the Pyramids,"

Without construction equipment!
Without computers!
Without water!
In the snow!
Walking barefot!
Uphill!
In both directions!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6954 on: December 06, 2009, 09:13:35 PM »

Without computers!
Without water!
In the snow!
Walking barefot!
Uphill!
In both directions!
It snows in Egypt? ???
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #6955 on: December 06, 2009, 09:20:30 PM »

Without computers!
Without water!
In the snow!
Walking barefot!
Uphill!
In both directions!
It snows in Egypt? ???

Don't muddle the discussion with details! :laugh:

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #6956 on: December 06, 2009, 09:43:02 PM »
Yes Virginia, it does snow in Egypt, especially in the Sinai.
It also snows in Jerusalem.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6957 on: December 06, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »
I think he meant sand  ;)

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6958 on: December 06, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »
"Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves." -- Alan Kay

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6959 on: December 06, 2009, 10:02:40 PM »

Or, I was merely parodying "old men's tales."  You know - how hard it was "back in my day."  Notice how I said "no water" and then said "in the snow?"
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:03:01 PM by Fr. George »

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6960 on: December 06, 2009, 11:43:07 PM »

Or, I was merely parodying "old men's tales."  You know - how hard it was "back in my day."  Notice how I said "no water" and then said "in the snow?"

oooooooooooooooohhh, my bad.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6961 on: December 07, 2009, 12:25:54 AM »
oooooooooooooooohhh, my bad.

No problem.  It was a bit of a stretch on my part.

Online Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6962 on: December 07, 2009, 12:36:21 AM »
Two pages remaining.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
« Reply #6963 on: December 07, 2009, 10:57:46 AM »
My posts no longer forum here.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6964 on: December 07, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »
There's nothing like Reverse Polish Notation.  How foolish for HP to discontinue their calculators.

Now RPN is available as an iPhone app.  Progress....

Ummm...you can still get HP RNP Calculators....

Yeah, I have seen the HP 50g at local stores with SD card capability.  I haven't seen the HP 33s around.

A friend in college also had the HP 48GX.  I liked that calculator even though it cost $300 in the early 1990s.

I have an HP48gx programme for my Windows Mobile phone, no equivalent iPhone version?

Here?

There you go, figures it's a German site, they seem to be the ones to keep the ROM's up to date. Found an app for the Android operating system as well and it's much more stable than my one...great to have a linux based operating system. Now if we can just root the damn thing and port a GNU compiler (I know, not trivial task with the chip architecture...but the architecture seems to be here to stay, so it's time to get started, at least with gcc)
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #6965 on: December 07, 2009, 01:22:47 PM »
Oh how I dread studying for my Algebra final!

(Yes, I know there are many on this thread that find Algebra trivial and juvenile, but this poor brain struggles with it.)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Shevchenko - extraordinary poet and top footballer
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #6966 on: December 07, 2009, 01:23:08 PM »
1+2x+3x^2+4x^3+...+nx^(n-1)

anybody knows?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6967 on: December 07, 2009, 01:42:30 PM »

anybody knows?

Sum from i=1 to n of n*x^(n-1)?

Guess it would be the derivative of the Sum from i=1 to n of C + x^n?
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #6968 on: December 07, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »

anybody knows?

Sum from i=1 to n of n*x^(n-1)?

Guess it would be the derivative of the Sum from i=1 to n of C + x^n?
Baby Math.  ;D

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Shevchenko - extraordinary poet and top footballer
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #6969 on: December 07, 2009, 01:55:02 PM »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #6970 on: December 07, 2009, 01:55:53 PM »
Oh how I dread studying for my Algebra final!

(Yes, I know there are many on this thread that find Algebra trivial and juvenile, but this poor brain struggles with it.)
I am sure you will do fine. I will keep you in my prayers.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #6971 on: December 07, 2009, 01:57:04 PM »
Let's derive the the equation for the volume of a sphere using triple integration. I know this is baby math but it used to be one of my math professor's test to determine whether or not he was sober enough to drive. LOL.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6972 on: December 07, 2009, 02:45:22 PM »
Mathematics is hardly random; but when it is - oh, boy.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6973 on: December 07, 2009, 02:57:37 PM »
Let's derive the the equation for the volume of a sphere using triple integration. I know this is baby math but it used to be one of my math professor's test to determine whether or not he was sober enough to drive. LOL.

That's an easy one, the volume of a sphere is zero, no integration needed ;)

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6974 on: December 07, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »
Mathematics is hardly random; but when it is - oh, boy.

No, but randomness is a mathematical quantity ;D