Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2014906 times)

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #6795 on: November 16, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »
So what calls in the Christmas season in your neck of the woods?
For me personally its Advent which began yesterday (I'm on the Revised Julian Menologion).
Awwww. I wish we were onto christmas season already. I have had to force myself to wait to put my tree and other decorations.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #6796 on: November 16, 2009, 04:28:08 PM »
And with that we are on to a new page.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #6797 on: November 16, 2009, 04:33:05 PM »
Yet another new page in a thread replete with new pages.  Or old new pages.  But this one will be a new old new page, which will be new and yet old in this thread.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6798 on: November 16, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »
Another Twilight movie is coming out. Was that really necessary?
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #6799 on: November 16, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »

No.  I wonder how many new Mormons have entered the faith due to the Twilight series?   ???

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6800 on: November 16, 2009, 08:14:32 PM »

Another Saw movie came out.  Was it really necessary?
Point: logic doesn't influence cinema's decision making.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6801 on: November 16, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »

Well... yes  ;D
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6802 on: November 16, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »

Well... yes  ;D

I suppose the only objective criterion would be box office receipts (which I presume were good enough to make a profit).

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6803 on: November 16, 2009, 08:54:03 PM »
Well, I can't speak to that... I suppose Twilight probably makes enough money to pay for itself. I guess I don't mind the Saw movies because I actually like bad movies, especially when "bad" means corny or over-the-top horror or comedy. But some movies are so bad that I can't take them. Take a movie like Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966). That's the worst movie I've ever watched, and I couldn't even watch the whole episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 which featured it. I sort of put the Twilight stuff in the same, essentially unwatchable class, based on what I saw of the first movie and what I know of the books (which my wife was a fan of for some reason).

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6804 on: November 17, 2009, 12:59:33 AM »
At least the new Saw movie will not generate increased interest in Mormonism.   8)

Offline Nyssa The Hobbit

• Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
  • Elder
    • Who is this Nyssa person, anyway?
« Reply #6805 on: November 17, 2009, 02:01:09 AM »
Up here the instant Hallowe'en is over, the Christmas season starts.  All the Hallowe'en candy, costumes and commercials vanish, and Christmas things are everywhere.

The other day I went to Target hoping to find some Thanksgiving decorations.  You know, pilgrims, cornocopias, window decals.  The sort of thing my mom used to put up every year.  But all I saw was Christmas stuff!  :P

It's just like how you don't see Thanksgiving movies anymore, just Christmas movies, even though I'm sure there were plenty of Pilgrim movies made in the Olden days....
Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6806 on: November 17, 2009, 05:38:02 AM »
When do you all put up Christmas decorations in the US? I remember being in California in October a few times and buying things for our tree in the Christmas shop at Knot's Berry Farm. Never actually visited the park, just ate pie at the cafe. I think the last time we were there, they were closing down that store. A shame.
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6807 on: November 17, 2009, 05:39:48 AM »
I've started putting up my Christmas lights today. They are all solar powered so I can light up every tree in the front garden with no fear of reproof.
I just realised this is the fifth Christmas this thread is going to see.

Is it traditional to put up lights that early here in Oz?
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6808 on: November 17, 2009, 05:54:55 AM »

Are you Australian?

As far as Christmas decorations go, imagine trying to explain to your spouse who is totally unfamiliar with Orthodoxy that Christmas is actually to be celebrated from Christmas until Theophany; before that is fasting and repentance.  And then add on the Julian Calendar issue, which technically means no Christmas decorating or celebrating until January 7th.

Not that I insist on any of those things, but if I ever wanted to celebrate that way it would drive her nuts.  Last year was my first "Orthodox Christmas" on the Julian Calendar, and I have to admit that by the time we had the Nativity liturgy I was just totally worn out on Christmas in general.  I was just ready for the whole thing to be over, and then there it was again!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:56:21 AM by Alveus Lacuna »

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6809 on: November 17, 2009, 06:03:25 AM »

Are you Australian?

Not yet. I've only been here a couple of years.  ;D

As far as Christmas decorations go, imagine trying to explain to your spouse who is totally unfamiliar with Orthodoxy that Christmas is actually to be celebrated from Christmas until Theophany; before that is fasting and repentance.  And then add on the Julian Calendar issue, which technically means no Christmas decorating or celebrating until January 7th.

Not that I insist on any of those things, but if I ever wanted to celebrate that way it would drive her nuts.  Last year was my first "Orthodox Christmas" on the Julian Calendar, and I have to admit that by the time we had the Nativity liturgy I was just totally worn out on Christmas in general.  I was just ready for the whole thing to be over, and then there it was again!

:laugh:

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6810 on: November 17, 2009, 06:44:59 AM »
For the past 4 or 5 years we put up Christmas stuff sometime between mid-October and early-November. I think that's extremely abnormal, though, and most people probably wait until December to put up their stuff. We also used to keep stuff up till mid-January, but that was more because it was such a hassel to take everything down.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6811 on: November 17, 2009, 07:31:33 AM »
For the past 4 or 5 years we put up Christmas stuff sometime between mid-October and early-November. I think that's extremely abnormal, though, and most people probably wait until December to put up their stuff. We also used to keep stuff up till mid-January, but that was more because it was such a hassel to take everything down.

:laugh: How true. There's always such excitement and anticipation in pulling all the stuff out of storage and arranging it around the house. Somehow, by the time the 12 days are over, and it's time to put it all away, the whole thing is suddenly very trying!

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6812 on: November 17, 2009, 08:16:12 AM »
I hate Christmas creep.  I wish the attention on the day would be relegated to the Post-Thanksgiving period - instead, we've already had at least one NE Ohio radio station do their Christmas music flip already, with another one or two doing their flips this week.  Yikes.  Forget the stores: the Christmas merchandise gets there between June and September to be out on the shelves in October/November.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #6813 on: November 17, 2009, 09:29:32 AM »
^ I remember a Dave Barry column once that said something like this:

Ah, the time of year when we go to the stores and we start seeing reindeer and fake snow, candy canes and mall Santas, and you know what that means--it means it's almost Halloween.

Yep, 'bout right. ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:29:54 AM by ytterbiumanalyst »
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #6814 on: November 17, 2009, 12:33:01 PM »
As funny as it is, here in the bay area we havn't had a single hint of xmas!  kind of weird actually...everyone's gearing up for thanksgiving.  I'm sure after black friday that'l change
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6815 on: November 17, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »
I'm sure after black friday that'l change

Don't you mean "I'm sure on black Friday at 3am that will change?" ;)

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #6816 on: November 17, 2009, 01:29:54 PM »
I'm sure after black friday that'l change

Don't you mean "I'm sure on black Friday at 3am that will change?" ;)

touche sir touche. 
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6817 on: November 18, 2009, 02:54:25 PM »
Also on the subject of Christmas... I now have 95% of my Christmas buying and wrapping done. I actually did most of the Christmas shopping during the summer time, but apparently I still have to get one more present for my youngest daughter. I had thought that I had an equal amount of presents for both daughters for Christmas, but when I went to wrap the presents I realised that once I give presents to my youngest daughter for her Birthday (Dec. 8th), she'll have one less than her sister for Christmas. So now I have to go out and figure out yet another present to get... :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:54:45 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6818 on: November 18, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »
Post #5,000.   :-[

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6819 on: November 18, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »
Congrats! Why the embarrassed/frowny face? So you post 8.696 times per day. So what? That doesn't mean that you won't have a real life... some day.  :P ;)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6820 on: November 18, 2009, 09:25:59 PM »
Congrats! Why the embarrassed/frowny face?

Thanks.   :)  I had made it into the top 10 posters until a certain Unitarian blew past me.   ;) :-\   ;)  Now I'll probably be stuck on being number 11 for a long time....

So you post 8.696 times per day. So what? That doesn't mean that you won't have a real life... some day.  :P ;)

I recall when my average was 12 posts a day.  I try to make my posts more relevant.   :angel:

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #6821 on: November 18, 2009, 09:32:38 PM »

No.  I wonder how many new Mormons have entered the faith due to the Twilight series?   ???

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't seen the movie or read the books. Why would a movie about Vampires inspire interest in LDS?
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #6822 on: November 18, 2009, 09:34:27 PM »
Also on the subject of Christmas... I now have 95% of my Christmas buying and wrapping done. I actually did most of the Christmas shopping during the summer time, but apparently I still have to get one more present for my youngest daughter. I had thought that I had an equal amount of presents for both daughters for Christmas, but when I went to wrap the presents I realised that once I give presents to my youngest daughter for her Birthday (Dec. 8th), she'll have one less than her sister for Christmas. So now I have to go out and figure out yet another present to get... :)

I would be really happy not dealing with any of the Christmas decorations or presents or anything this year and just going to Church on the feast. It's been such a bad year, and things at home are so rotten, I'm really not prepared to have a "Holly, Jolly, Christmas."  :-\
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #6823 on: November 18, 2009, 09:36:56 PM »
When do you all put up Christmas decorations in the US? I remember being in California in October a few times and buying things for our tree in the Christmas shop at Knot's Berry Farm. Never actually visited the park, just ate pie at the cafe. I think the last time we were there, they were closing down that store. A shame.

When I was a kid my family would wait to put up our tree and decorations until Dec 15'ish so that the tree would last until Jan 7. (Our parish is Old Calendar.)

Many Americans start immediately after Thanksgiving (the 4th Thursday in Nov.) Some start earlier.  ::)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6824 on: November 18, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
Some start earlier.   ::)

So I guess those people who leave up their christmas lights all year round aren't in your good graces?  ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:53:16 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6825 on: November 18, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »

Thanks.   I had made it into the top 10 posters until a certain Unitarian blew past me.  Now I'll probably be stuck on being number 11 for a long time....

Sorry! Maybe one of the top 10 posters will get banned, hehe... it's happened at least twice before. :)

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #6826 on: November 18, 2009, 10:10:59 PM »

So I guess those people who leave up their christmas lights all year round aren't in your good graces?  ;D

I guess it just seems like every year the push for Christmas starts earlier and earlier. My 90 y/o grandmother always laments that they start Christmas too early, and that we aren't to celebrate BEFORE the feast, but until after, and it should be a 12 day celebration. (She's always said that company's should shut down for the week after Christmas.)

When I was a kid I didn't understand this. As I get older, I now see what she means. This is how it is in the Church, but the outside world goofs it all up. I mean, it's only Nov 18 and some music stations are already playing Christmas music, and stores have had Christmas items out for a month.

It seems we start celebrating Christmas the first week of November, and then December 26 everything comes down. It's rather ridiculous if you ask me.

If this is what we do in November, how are we supposed to celebrate once the feast actually comes?

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #6827 on: November 18, 2009, 10:12:08 PM »

Thanks.   I had made it into the top 10 posters until a certain Unitarian blew past me.  Now I'll probably be stuck on being number 11 for a long time....

Sorry! Maybe one of the top 10 posters will get banned, hehe... it's happened at least twice before. :)

LOL, what happens, the board collectively says "We've had enough of you already!"?! j/k  ;D  :laugh:

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6828 on: November 18, 2009, 10:27:04 PM »

LOL, what happens, the board collectively says "We've had enough of you already!"?! j/k  ;D  :laugh:

I think so, lol :)  I was thinking of TomS (3187 posts) and Matthew777 (3498 posts), both of whom, if memory serves, were in the Top 10 posters when they were banned.  Even now, 2 years after either of them has posted, they would both still be in the Top 25 posters (though for some odd reason Matthew777 doesn't show up in the member list and you have to search for his name using the search function). Interestingly, TomS made a return as SmoT, and lasted longer than I thought he would, and Matthew777 also returned under a new name, though I don't recall off the top of my head what it was. (I should also note that Matthew777 isn't banned anymore, as his profile says his status is warned).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:28:28 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6829 on: November 18, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »

I guess it just seems like every year the push for Christmas starts earlier and earlier. My 90 y/o grandmother always laments that they start Christmas too early, and that we aren't to celebrate BEFORE the feast, but until after, and it should be a 12 day celebration. (She's always said that company's should shut down for the week after Christmas.)

When I was a kid I didn't understand this. As I get older, I now see what she means. This is how it is in the Church, but the outside world goofs it all up. I mean, it's only Nov 18 and some music stations are already playing Christmas music, and stores have had Christmas items out for a month.

It seems we start celebrating Christmas the first week of November, and then December 26 everything comes down. It's rather ridiculous if you ask me.

If this is what we do in November, how are we supposed to celebrate once the feast actually comes?

I can understand what you're saying. I guess for my part, I've never had a regular schedule or order for Christmas, so it's never bothered me when things would start early. In my own case, I usually don't have a lot of money, so I have to start saving for Christmas in the late Spring or early Summer if I'm going to get presents for my family and extended family. I don't have a credit card because I figured student loans and whatnot was enough debt to worry about, so I can't just charge up a bunch of stuff come December and pay for it later. This year was a bit different, though, as I came into a bit of money this summer, so I just went ahead and did all my Christmas shopping in peace then and there, rather than waiting till the hectic holiday season. After all, my daughters won't care that I bought them a doll house and whatever else in July rather than waiting till December.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #6830 on: November 18, 2009, 11:29:47 PM »
I can understand what you're saying. I guess for my part, I've never had a regular schedule or order for Christmas, so it's never bothered me when things would start early. In my own case, I usually don't have a lot of money, so I have to start saving for Christmas in the late Spring or early Summer if I'm going to get presents for my family and extended family. I don't have a credit card because I figured student loans and whatnot was enough debt to worry about, so I can't just charge up a bunch of stuff come December and pay for it later. This year was a bit different, though, as I came into a bit of money this summer, so I just went ahead and did all my Christmas shopping in peace then and there, rather than waiting till the hectic holiday season. After all, my daughters won't care that I bought them a doll house and whatever else in July rather than waiting till December.

This is definitely smart thinking and makes economic sense. I had a neighbor growing up who was a single mom on a limited budget. She would start putting stuff on K-Mart lay-away in June so that in September it would be paid off, and she would have her shopping done.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #6831 on: November 18, 2009, 11:49:30 PM »

Hey, I've been in the Top 10 Posters a few times and they haven't banned *me* yet.  Of course, what with computer troubles and a couple of people going into power-posting mode, I've been passed again.  tsk-tsk. 

;)

Ebor

P.S.  If you're the "Token Non-Orthodox Poster", what am I?  chopped liver?    ;) :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:57:08 PM by Ebor »
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6832 on: November 18, 2009, 11:55:04 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't seen the movie or read the books. Why would a movie about Vampires inspire interest in LDS?

Because the author, Stephanie Meyer, is a Mormon who apparently "saw" the Twilight Series in a vision.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6833 on: November 19, 2009, 12:16:44 AM »
Non-Orthodox posters are not Orthodox.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6834 on: November 19, 2009, 12:26:58 AM »

Hey, I've been in the Top 10 Posters a few times and they haven't banned *me* yet.  Of course, what with computer troubles and a couple of people going into power-posting mode, I've been passed again.  tsk-tsk. 

Ebor, when it comes to rankings, I'm the permanent #11 and you're the permanent #12.   :D

To think my first post on this board dealt with C.S. Lewis, which I have yet to read.   :-X

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6835 on: November 19, 2009, 12:34:55 AM »
Ten pages down; ten to go.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #6836 on: November 19, 2009, 12:39:01 AM »
Non-Orthodox posters are not Orthodox.

It's the "Token" that I'm wondering about. 
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6837 on: November 19, 2009, 12:58:15 AM »
Almost at 2,000 posts.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6838 on: November 19, 2009, 12:59:07 AM »
Oh, wait.  There it is.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches