Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2185620 times)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #5985 on: May 25, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »
Alway's ride your bike against the flow of traffic

Always ride your bike on the sidewalk and watch out for the roller bladers with headphones.  Worked for me.   :angel:

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #5986 on: May 26, 2009, 01:17:17 AM »
14 more posts.  Come on folks, 6,000 is right at the door and we can resume normal activities until post 6,950 or thereabouts....

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #5987 on: May 26, 2009, 01:31:02 AM »
Decided to install a new windows manager for my computer today.  I haven't bothered to install a programme that takes screenshots, but here is an example of more or less what it looks like:

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #5988 on: May 26, 2009, 07:59:05 AM »

Can I be honest?  I never liked this one, I thought it was actually MORE dangerous than riding with the flow of traffic.  PLUS, arn't bikes supposed to follow the rules of the road, just like any other vehicle?
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5989 on: May 26, 2009, 08:00:19 AM »
Decided to install a new windows manager for my computer today.  I haven't bothered to install a programme that takes screenshots, but here is an example of more or less what it looks like:

Wow...looks pretty complicated...what kind of operation is that running?  Sorry i'm not really good with all the techy lingo, but I was gona ask if it was running "java" or something like that...lol.  i'm probably totally off huh...
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5990 on: May 26, 2009, 08:00:53 AM »
14 more posts.  Come on folks, 6,000 is right at the door and we can resume normal activities until post 6,950 or thereabouts....

I'm really surprised more people havn't answered the call here...

eh, it's all good
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #5991 on: May 26, 2009, 10:15:51 AM »

Is that Enlightenment?  I really liked that Window Manager for I used it to run 24 different X-Windows in 4 different desktops during a demonstration in 1999.

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5992 on: May 26, 2009, 12:22:44 PM »

Is that Enlightenment?  I really liked that Window Manager for I used it to run 24 different X-Windows in 4 different desktops during a demonstration in 1999.

care to explain that to the lowly proletariat?
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5993 on: May 26, 2009, 12:36:33 PM »
Wow...looks pretty complicated...what kind of operation is that running?  Sorry i'm not really good with all the techy lingo, but I was gona ask if it was running "java" or something like that...lol.  i'm probably totally off huh...

The terminal on the left is running a text-based IRC client.  The top right terminal is running 'htop', think of it as Windows Task Manager but text based.  And the bottom right terminal, is just editing the .bashrc file (used to customise your interactive shells: create command alias, make text coloured, etc) in a text editor known as vim.   :)
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5994 on: May 26, 2009, 12:39:19 PM »

It is actually a fork from dwm called Awesome (or AwesomeWM or Awesome3).  I've always been a huge openbox fan, but wanted to try something different.  So far so good; ever since I started programming I've been a fan of tiling Window Managers, but never really explored them outside of Ion.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #5995 on: May 26, 2009, 12:45:29 PM »
It is actually a fork from dwm called Awesome (or AwesomeWM or Awesome3).  I've always been a huge openbox fan, but wanted to try something different.  So far so good; ever since I started programming I've been a fan of tiling Window Managers, but never really explored them outside of Ion.

That screen shot reminded me of Enlightenment.  I used it mainly on Solaris to manage all these multiple X-Windows that popped up during software demonstrations in 1999.  Up to 2,048 virtual desktops are supported under Enlightenment which remains in active development.

Only 4 posts remain to 6,000.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #5996 on: May 26, 2009, 12:49:35 PM »
Oh, I've never seen seamless X-Windows tiling ... if you open a new terminal, does it seamlessly tie in with other windows.

Do you get a menu bar when the mouse is over any of these terminals?

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #5997 on: May 26, 2009, 01:01:20 PM »
No! Bicycles are vehicles, and all vehicles are piloted in the same direction. No one wants a head-on collision with a bicycle.

Some rules for bicycle safety (including why never to ride a bicycle on the left side of the street): http://www.bicyclesafe.com/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:03:32 PM by ytterbiumanalyst »
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Gkterra

• Formerly know as findingfaith
  • ακραία αμαρτωλός
« Reply #5998 on: May 26, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »
No! Bicycles are vehicles, and all vehicles are piloted in the same direction. No one wants a head-on collision with a bicycle.

Some rules for bicycle safety (including why never to ride a bicycle on the left side of the street): http://www.bicyclesafe.com/

It's been a loooong time since i rode a bike on the street  ;D That is actually what we were taught as kids  :o A little behind the times on that front i guess :-[ 
How about, always swim with a buddy? or... Wait 30 min after eating before swimming? 

2 posts to 6000
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:33:35 PM by findingfaith »
Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5999 on: May 26, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »
Oh, I've never seen seamless X-Windows tiling ... if you open a new terminal, does it seamlessly tie in with other windows.

Do you get a menu bar when the mouse is over any of these terminals?

Completely depends on how you choose to set it up.

There are four layouts you can choose from, and can assign a different one to each tag (similar to a virtual desktop).
Tiled
With tiled layout, windows are managed in a master and a stacking area. The master area contains the windows which currently need most attention, whereas the stacking area contains all other windows. The master area can be splited in several rows and column, as you want.

Max
Each window is resized to take full screen space.

Magnifier
All windows are stacked behind the focused window. This one is centered in your screen and takes most of the available space.

Floating
In floating layout, windows can be resized and moved freely, just like a usual window manager. Dialog windows are always managed floating, regardless of the layout selected.
Currently I run most of my tags in tiled mode, with half my screen dedicated to my focus and my other windows stacked on the other side.  So when I open a new programme or terminal, it is titled into the stack.  But even in that view, you can manipulate it and stack however you please.  I also tend to have one tag in float mode too, that I just use to quickly open a programme that I will need for a short period of time.

You can set up how you want title bars to work, either displayed at the top, bottom, left or right, and if you want them always there or only when the terminal is in use.

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6000 on: May 26, 2009, 01:43:19 PM »

It's been a loooong time since i rode a bike on the street  ;D That is actually what we were taught as kids  :o A little behind the times on that front i guess :-[ 

I always thought it was ride with traffic, but walk against traffic.

Yay!  6k!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6001 on: May 26, 2009, 01:48:19 PM »
Back to regularly scheduled postings of random stuff - till 6,950, hehehehe.

Thanks to everyone who led this effort.   :)

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #6002 on: May 27, 2009, 12:10:51 PM »

Only 948 to go!

::)
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Dan-Romania

• High Elder
  • Why do you wear that stupid man suit?
« Reply #6003 on: May 27, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »
why not 6660 or 6666 ?
This user no longer posts here.

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #6004 on: May 27, 2009, 12:51:53 PM »
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6005 on: May 27, 2009, 02:42:27 PM »
why not 6660 or 6666 ?

The next logical milestone for this thread is 7,000 posts and the countdown usually starts 50 posts before the milestone.

The numbers you cited are not milestone goals.   ;)

Offline username!

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6006 on: May 27, 2009, 04:04:09 PM »
Welcome to the thread that never endeth.

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #6007 on: May 27, 2009, 04:47:38 PM »
How could randomness ever end?  Could it mathematically?  I once went to a presentation by a PhD from MIT who put a "randomness" calculation and multiplied it by a certain number (let's say 10,000x) and it at one point just went into an ordered paradigm (he showed it with moving balls).  It was very interesting.  He said that randomness eventually leads to order.  then he multiplied it by another 10,000x and it went back to randomness, etc.  it was very interesting...
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline username!

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6008 on: May 27, 2009, 05:05:04 PM »
How could randomness ever end?  Could it mathematically?  I once went to a presentation by a PhD from MIT who put a "randomness" calculation and multiplied it by a certain number (let's say 10,000x) and it at one point just went into an ordered paradigm (he showed it with moving balls).  It was very interesting.  He said that randomness eventually leads to order.  then he multiplied it by another 10,000x and it went back to randomness, etc.  it was very interesting...

interesting!!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6009 on: May 27, 2009, 10:57:47 PM »
It's like the fact that one can prove from mathematics that a rubber ball bounces an infinite number of times before coming to a complete stop within a short period of time.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #6010 on: May 28, 2009, 12:00:07 AM »
I'm stuck at the Denver International Airport waiting for these maintenance idiots at United Airlines to fix something.  I had maintenance issues last Friday when I flew out.  Don't fly United Airlines.  They are incompetent.  I'm already 30 minutes behind schedule and it looks like even more.  Idiots.  I'd probably get home faster if I had a bicycle!
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6011 on: May 28, 2009, 12:51:07 AM »
I flew United and I was subject to security checks (October 2001) in Baltimore, Chicago, Minneapolis.

I have flown Southwest and never experienced issues.  I persuaded a disinterested flight crew to perform their usual comic routine on a return flight from Denver in 12/2007.   :D

Offline username!

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6012 on: May 28, 2009, 02:20:28 AM »
could be worse, you could have to walk there or go by conestoga wagon. 

Offline admiralnick

• Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6013 on: May 28, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »
I'm stuck at the Denver International Airport waiting for these maintenance idiots at United Airlines to fix something.  I had maintenance issues last Friday when I flew out.  Don't fly United Airlines.  They are incompetent.  I'm already 30 minutes behind schedule and it looks like even more.  Idiots.  I'd probably get home faster if I had a bicycle!

Could be worse, you could be flying Alitalia

-Nick
The ORIGINAL: "NULL"

Offline PoorFoolNicholas

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6014 on: May 28, 2009, 10:58:12 AM »
T! returns, and demands recognition.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #6015 on: May 28, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »
T wishes U were here.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline PoorFoolNicholas

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6016 on: May 28, 2009, 11:43:54 AM »
Who is this U?

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #6017 on: May 28, 2009, 12:34:24 PM »
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 12:38:25 PM by Demetrios G. »
Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6018 on: May 28, 2009, 12:44:48 PM »
Hi, I'm sponsored by the letter W!

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #6019 on: May 28, 2009, 01:26:18 PM »
Only 4 more posts to go and I break 2,900! 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:26:50 PM by serb1389 »
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #6020 on: May 28, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
Actually i'm surprised it took me this long...I feel like i've been on this site for forever...although not nearly as long as some others.. ;) ;D ;D ;D
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6021 on: May 28, 2009, 01:36:09 PM »
Hi, I'm sponsored by the letter W!
Who?
What?
When?
Where?
Why?

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #6022 on: May 28, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »
Ugly toe nails are the sign of neglect...or gym socks.
"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6023 on: May 28, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »
H is in the house!

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #6024 on: May 28, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »
prove it
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline Gkterra

• Formerly know as findingfaith
  • ακραία αμαρτωλός
« Reply #6025 on: May 28, 2009, 08:55:57 PM »
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:56:50 PM by findingfaith »
Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #6026 on: May 28, 2009, 11:01:28 PM »
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6027 on: May 29, 2009, 12:48:33 AM »
H does not have to prove anything to U or T.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #6028 on: May 29, 2009, 12:58:27 AM »
Post No. 4,000 <ducks tomatoes thrown at me>   ::)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6029 on: May 29, 2009, 02:50:06 AM »
H does not have to prove anything to U or T.
HUT!  HUT!  HUT!  HUT!
HIKE! ;D