Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9364864 times)

Offline Alpo2

• The artist formerly known as Alpo
  • Faith: Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #30780 on: September 14, 2019, 01:29:47 AM »
Just learned that there is a state in India with Baptists majority. Strange world.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #30781 on: September 15, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »
Just learned that there is a state in India with Baptists majority. Strange world.
Nagaland the only region in the world with a Baptist majority IIRC. A Hindu friend of mine says they're heavily syncretic, though. But IDK, maybe it's wishful thinking, as a syncretic Hindu he would definitely enjoy if their diverse native forms of spirituality were still healthy.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Alpo2

« Reply #30782 on: September 15, 2019, 02:53:36 PM »
^Syncretist Baptism sounds like an oxymoron. Next they probably start drinking and dancing.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30783 on: September 15, 2019, 03:54:15 PM »
^Syncretist Baptism sounds like an oxymoron. Next they probably start drinking and dancing.
I personally know Pentecostals into Afro-Brazilian Paganism.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #30784 on: September 15, 2019, 04:33:41 PM »

Not surprising.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30785 on: September 15, 2019, 05:15:52 PM »
Yeah, there must definitely be quite a few Baptists doing it, too.

One of my best friend's neighbouring family was practicing Pagan. They all converted to Protestantism, but one of them still incorporates regularly and involuntarily.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 05:17:55 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #30786 on: September 16, 2019, 09:52:31 AM »

One of my best friend's neighbouring family was practicing Pagan. They all converted to Protestantism, but one of them still incorporates regularly and involuntarily.

You know I initially misread this post, out of context, and it was hilarious.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #30787 on: September 16, 2019, 09:53:47 AM »

Is there really a difference?  I have a really low opinion of Pentecostals.  I wonder if on Pentecostal forums they post in tongues (don’t try it, for the love of all that’s good!)

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30788 on: September 16, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »

You know I initially misread this post, out of context, and it was hilarious.
How so? Incorporation is how they call possession by "entities" (I'm Candomblé, orixás; in Umbanda there are other possibilities)

Offline Alpo2

« Reply #30789 on: September 16, 2019, 04:26:30 PM »

Kind of logical since some stripe of Pentecostalists are all about demons always and everywhere anyway but I thought Baptists shun all kinds of Charismatic nonsense.

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #30790 on: September 17, 2019, 10:02:24 AM »
Nagaland the only region in the world with a Baptist majority IIRC. A Hindu friend of mine says they're heavily syncretic, though. But IDK, maybe it's wishful thinking, as a syncretic Hindu he would definitely enjoy if their diverse native forms of spirituality were still healthy.

Anywhere there is a traditional religion the new religion is going to syncretize it somewhat. Native forms and all that. I knew some Reformed missionaries in Haiti who would set up a church, pastor it for a while and once the local congregation was stable they would move on to another location. Every few months they would visit back as a supervisor only to find things like voodoo drums hanging above the ambo.

We are formed by our culture. That's why American Orthodoxy is often Calvinist in its orientation even though it rejects the theology.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30791 on: September 17, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »

Anywhere there is a traditional religion the new religion is going to syncretize it somewhat. Native forms and all that. I knew some Reformed missionaries in Haiti who would set up a church, pastor it for a while and once the local congregation was stable they would move on to another location. Every few months they would visit back as a supervisor only to find things like voodoo drums hanging above the ambo.

We are formed by our culture. That's why American Orthodoxy is often Calvinist in its orientation even though it rejects the theology.

What do you mean?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30792 on: September 17, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »
There she goes
There she goes again

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #30793 on: September 17, 2019, 10:31:39 PM »
I coach a u12 boys soccer team and I was yelling at firmly, but politely asking a kid to quit screwing around and pay attention and I called him by the wrong name... it was my own son.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30794 on: September 17, 2019, 10:42:23 PM »

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #30795 on: September 17, 2019, 10:44:19 PM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30796 on: September 18, 2019, 09:10:19 AM »
My grandma calls me Carlos all the time. It's the name of her husband, her oldest son and her youngest grandson, so I guess she just goes for the most probable name.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30797 on: September 18, 2019, 09:20:09 AM »
On my mom's side of the family, there are several men named "Luis".  Whenever a relative says, "Well, Luis said such-and-such...," someone always says, "Whose Luis?"  It can get confusing.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #30798 on: September 18, 2019, 08:50:53 PM »
A few posts were split and sent to Politics.  The thread can be found here.  It's worthy of discussion, but not on the public fora; please bear that in mind.  Thanks.  --Ainnir
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Αλάσκανος
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #30799 on: September 20, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »
Anywhere there is a traditional religion the new religion is going to syncretize it somewhat.

The Christ makes all things new.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #30800 on: September 20, 2019, 03:48:55 PM »

What do you mean?
Just look at Fr. Josiah Trenham's popularity for evidence of this
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30801 on: September 20, 2019, 04:10:43 PM »

What do you mean?
Just look at Fr. Josiah Trenham's popularity for evidence of this

One priest that writes.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #30802 on: September 20, 2019, 06:11:09 PM »
Lol

I'll take Agabus' post a step further, Americans are Calvinist in their orientation, regardless of religion.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Alpo2

« Reply #30803 on: September 20, 2019, 07:28:52 PM »
Lol

I'll take Agabus' post a step further, Americans are Calvinist in their orientation, regardless of religion.

This should be in the thread for ignorant Europeans but anyway what does this means? Finns are Protestants but rather Lutherans than Reformed so I fail to understand the reference.

Offline WPM

• Citizenii Populii
  • Taxiarches
  • I am the Root of Existence
  • Faith: Universal Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: 50-State Republic
« Reply #30804 on: September 20, 2019, 08:01:22 PM »
Yes, the Calvinist/Baptist Reformed Stance on Preaching.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • It a bird, it a plane, no it's Orthogringo!
  • Faith: Orthogringo
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #30805 on: September 20, 2019, 08:57:58 PM »

Explain that one to me, how is American Orthodoxy Calvinism? M a ethnic parish with immigrants is a good thing then.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30806 on: September 20, 2019, 10:57:54 PM »
Or lack thereof... I recall a lecture I saw on how not only did Calvinism shaped American imperialism, but also the primitive denomination division shaped different currents of it.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #30807 on: September 21, 2019, 12:05:47 PM »
Or lack thereof... I recall a lecture I saw on how not only did Calvinism shaped American imperialism, but also the primitive denomination division shaped different currents of it.
Yep this is truth.

but also the primitive denomination division shaped different currents of it.
What does this mean? Reads like gibberish

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #30808 on: September 21, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
Lol

This should be in the thread for ignorant Europeans but anyway what does this means? Finns are Protestants but rather Lutherans than Reformed so I fail to understand the reference.

Calvinism is the foundation of America. It still remains the dominant ideology that influences not just the religious, but also the political, cultural and economic. The clearest example would be how secular liberalism adopted the Calvinist work ethic, stripping it of its theological trappings ("the elect" being worldly prosperous, predestination, etc). It made grueling, long work hours (beyond the needs of material survival), self-discipline, thriftiness, ambition, etc. into virtues. That's why America is called the most overworked nation in the world that eschews a healthier, balanced lifestyle. Ever notice when Americans moralize the poor and their "failings", that they weren't hard-working or frugal enough? This is partly why poverty never truly gets addressed. Our politics are decisively Calvinist as well. Politicians glorify the middle class and facilitate its needs, because again American values and liberalism have their "spiritual" basis in Calvinism. It's also responsible for American exceptionalism.

So yeah I think Calvinism more than the orientation of American Orthodox, but fundamentally it touches on all facets of American life.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:45:27 PM by RobS »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30809 on: September 21, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »
I don't recall detail, but it was something in the lines of Presbyterian synodality shaping an idea that community was larger than one could see, creating specific forms of nationalism and then globalism, while Southern Baptists being more local would make them develop political forms paradoxically both more cautious of foreigners and more skeptical of being able to control their politics at will (leading them to devise other imperialist strategies).

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #30810 on: September 21, 2019, 01:15:08 PM »
I don't recall detail, but it was something in the lines of Presbyterian synodality shaping an idea that community was larger than one could see, creating specific forms of nationalism and then globalism, while Southern Baptists being more local would make them develop political forms paradoxically both more cautious of foreigners and more skeptical of being able to control their politics at will (leading them to devise other imperialist strategies).

Wow that is fascinating and makes a lot of sense too.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30811 on: September 21, 2019, 01:55:26 PM »
The "paradoxically" part didn't make sense because I had written something more specific, then realised it wasn't appropriad for public fora lol

The guy who gave the lecture was Lutheran
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:56:21 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30812 on: September 24, 2019, 01:52:33 PM »
Just realised the Church of Greece primate is Albanian while the Albanian Orthodox Church primate is Greek. The Balkans are weird.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Publican who hathn’t repented
  • High Elder
  • Saint Thomas the Apostle, pray for me a sinner!
  • Faith: Truth seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Schism
« Reply #30813 on: September 24, 2019, 05:19:42 PM »
Just realised the Church of Greece primate is Albanian while the Albanian Orthodox Church primate is Greek. The Balkans are weird.

That's offensive. The Greeks have a primacy of race.
"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."
- Mark Twain, Letter to Joseph Twichell, 13 September 1898

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #30814 on: September 24, 2019, 08:44:26 PM »
Many birthday greetings to RaphaCam!
Alexa, what religion should I be a part of?

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #30815 on: September 24, 2019, 08:47:43 PM »
Many birthday greetings to RaphaCam!
Many years!!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30816 on: September 24, 2019, 09:03:08 PM »
Muhnohgahyuhlehyehtah

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30817 on: September 24, 2019, 11:28:29 PM »
Many thanks and many letas!

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #30818 on: October 02, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
I have 29 tabs open right now.  I think my laptop needs a time out...   :P

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30819 on: October 02, 2019, 01:04:28 PM »
And maybe so do you!  :laugh:

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #30820 on: October 02, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »
When I find my off switch, it will be a blessed day.    :angel:

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30821 on: October 02, 2019, 01:30:41 PM »
and that's why I pick my nose

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #30822 on: October 02, 2019, 01:35:16 PM »
Picking your nose is your off switch??  ;D  I'm not testing that theory.  I'll have to settle for made-for-TV movies once in a blue moon.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #30823 on: October 02, 2019, 01:36:13 PM »

My wife always gives me hard time about, but you've just made me better about only having 17 tabs open.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30824 on: October 02, 2019, 03:39:55 PM »
Picking your nose is your off switch??  ;D  I'm not testing that theory.  I'll have to settle for made-for-TV movies once in a blue moon.
I'm not sure, but the off switch must be somewhere in there...