Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 8957125 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #30600 on: April 11, 2019, 06:11:13 PM »
The Germans have a word for it: Russischesmädelpingpongseminarshunger

lol!

Though nobody says mädel anymore. It's all mädchen (which actually began as a diminutive). /pedant

"Russischesmädelpingpongseminarshunger" was recently voted the most beautiful word in the world in any language. Who are you to tinker with perfection?

But is it one of the 12Germanwordsyouneedtoknowbeforeyoudienumber4isashocker!?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Catholic
« Reply #30601 on: April 11, 2019, 08:43:51 PM »
My eye doctor says I'm healthy. He announces it, even, before the crowd of witnesses. I'm skeptical though because he didn't notice my injury or take the time to hear me.
I used to like him, because I liked his work. However I was also at least 5 minutes late for my appointment. It doesn't matter though, because I will probably see him tomorrow when he comes in for breakfast. I will get my $14.38USD of medical care.
I suffered a facial fracture a couple of years ago and my used-to-be near perfect vision sadly was impaired. I'm still near-sighted, but I can't see the same detail as I used to. Like I could see dust mites in 3D, now 2D.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:57:47 PM by mcarmichael »
Free "Tequila" Dave!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #30602 on: April 11, 2019, 09:54:14 PM »
Mädel is okay, but Magd can still get you punched in the face by angry German ladies with bodybuilder arm girth (probably acquired through intense firewood carrying).
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30603 on: April 11, 2019, 09:58:35 PM »
Mädel is okay, but Magd can still get you punched in the face by angry German ladies with bodybuilder arm girth (probably acquired through intense firewood carrying).

Oh I know it's ok, it's just kind of non-standard it seems like. Magd is out, Fraulein is way out lol.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30604 on: April 12, 2019, 07:53:24 AM »
There's a youtube channel called RTgame. Every time I see it pop up in my recommends, I think for a split second, "What? Russia Today has a gaming channel?" and I almost click on it.

The world's most specifically targeted marking scheme?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30605 on: April 12, 2019, 08:43:45 PM »
So, they've found a tiny, super-cool dwarf star with seven rocky planets. They're likely all volcanic hell worlds like Io, however.

Then and went and named the system Trappist-1 lol! I mean, the name comes from the acronym for the telescope that they used to find it (the Transiting Planets and Planetesimals Small Telescope), but still lol. Maybe one of the worlds will be a good site for a domed and sealed monastery someday...

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #30606 on: April 12, 2019, 08:45:20 PM »
Using almost every effect on this forum![/font]
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30607 on: April 13, 2019, 05:42:02 PM »
Words of the day: planet, thole, fake, flannel, hell, fetus, ghost, worship, cartoon, marriage

I have no idea what made even half of these trend today lol. I didn't even know the word thole before now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:42:32 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #30608 on: April 15, 2019, 12:39:38 PM »
Quoth my wife, who watched Aquaman with the teenage son: This movie is so bad. Not DC movie bad, but bad like those Journey to the Center of the Earth movies Dwayne Johnson made.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30609 on: April 15, 2019, 01:00:00 PM »
Words of the day: planet, thole, fake, flannel, hell, fetus, ghost, worship, cartoon, marriage

I have no idea what made even half of these trend today lol. I didn't even know the word thole before now.
Word of the day in Wiktionary: "mummy brown" in English, "uitvechten" in foreign languages, this being Dutch for "to reach a solution or an end through fighting".
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30610 on: April 17, 2019, 03:20:28 PM »
Language nerds, help me out.

Why are implosives and ejectives classed as non-pulmonic consonants when it's literally impossible to make them without breathing lol? I mean, I can understand calling a click non-pulmonic...

Answered my own question: Ejectives and implosives are supposed to be made by sucking air only into the glottis but not the lungs. I was doing them wrong. *facepalm*

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30611 on: April 17, 2019, 03:21:20 PM »

Word of the day in Wiktionary: "mummy brown" in English, "uitvechten" in foreign languages, this being Dutch for "to reach a solution or an end through fighting".

Huh. What's the etymological story on that? I'm guessing something to do with the Carter excavations.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30612 on: April 17, 2019, 03:25:01 PM »
Just realized that most of my life, I misspelled "tinderbox" as "tenderbox." Now, finally, thanks the existence of that stupid app, I can finally do it right on the first try...

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30613 on: April 17, 2019, 03:40:35 PM »

Huh. What's the etymological story on that? I'm guessing something to do with the Carter excavations.
Nope, these are two different concepts. Mummy brown is just the name of a colour. Uitvechten could be calqued in English as "outfight".

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #30614 on: April 19, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »
A blessed Good Friday to all those who celebrate today.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #30615 on: April 19, 2019, 12:34:43 PM »
Since I've started using a cane, my two-year-old has started taking random household objects (a garden hose attachment, spatulas, etc.) and walking around tapping the long end on the floor.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30616 on: April 19, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »

Nope, these are two different concepts. Mummy brown is just the name of a colour. Uitvechten could be calqued in English as "outfight".

Oh, I thought you were saying that Uitvechten means "mummy brown" lol.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30617 on: April 20, 2019, 03:21:14 PM »
What is the movie Zoolander like dubbed or subbed into Finnish? Google is failing me.

I ask because there's a plot point revolving around Owen Wilson's idiot male model thinking that some files being "in the computer" means "physically hidden inside" rather than "stored on."

But that's a joke that won't really work in Finnish because of the various locative cases, right? So what did they do instead?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:23:41 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Eamonomae

• The Publican who hathn’t repented
  • High Elder
  • Saint Thomas the Apostle, pray for me a sinner!
  • Faith: Truth seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Schism
« Reply #30618 on: April 20, 2019, 03:39:20 PM »
Your first sin is wanting to see Zoolander more than once.
Lord have mercy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30619 on: April 20, 2019, 03:51:47 PM »
You're just jealous because you're not really, really, really, ridiculously good looking like me.

Blue Steel!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #30620 on: April 22, 2019, 10:33:10 AM »
I admit I love Zoolander.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #30621 on: April 22, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »
Blessed Holy Week to one and all.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30622 on: April 22, 2019, 11:44:54 PM »
Been to São Paulo last week. Nice city, it looks somewhere halfway between Rio de Janeiro and New York. The people are a bit weird to my carioca eyes, on a daily basis they look really uptight if compared to cariocas like myself (I felt totally underdressed in my first day there, going around on sandals and shorts), but there are much more people in alternative styles and they definitely use much more drugs there than here.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #30623 on: April 23, 2019, 12:56:39 PM »
Been to São Paulo last week. Nice city, it looks somewhere halfway between Rio de Janeiro and New York. The people are a bit weird to my carioca eyes, on a daily basis they look really uptight if compared to cariocas like myself (I felt totally underdressed in my first day there, going around on sandals and shorts), but there are much more people in alternative styles and they definitely use much more drugs there than here.

What did you find a bit weird?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30624 on: April 23, 2019, 02:45:46 PM »
Precisely the behaviour I mentioned, but I already expected it. Most probably it is cariocas who are weird and you guys are the normal ones.  ;D

Too bad we weren't able to meet...

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #30625 on: April 23, 2019, 03:17:37 PM »
Precisely the behaviour I mentioned, but I already expected it. Most probably it is cariocas who are weird and you guys are the normal ones.  ;D

Too bad we weren't able to meet...

Yeah, I had some family issues that I couldn't avoid.

In São Paulo, people that wear beach style all day, sandals and shorts, are usually the guetto types that most people try to avoid crossing paths with.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30626 on: April 23, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
A friend told me he couldn't enter a restaurant because he was dressed that way. And he's white!

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #30627 on: April 23, 2019, 03:32:51 PM »
A friend told me he couldn't enter a restaurant because he was dressed that way. And he's white!

Some fancy restaurants have dress codes.

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East
« Reply #30628 on: April 23, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »

I bookmark a lot of dialectal, archaic and poetic terms like that on Wiktionary. It breaks my heart how the 20th and especially 21st centuries are rendering dialects nearly extinct. It hurts. I need to post a list sometime. For example seagulls are also "mews", cognate to German Möwe.

Please, by God, preserve the terms and phrases and such your grandparents remember! 
ΕυλÃÄ

"Pleasure is very seldom found where it is sought. Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks..." ~ Samuel Johnson

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30629 on: April 23, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »
I bookmark a lot of dialectal, archaic and poetic terms like that on Wiktionary. It breaks my heart how the 20th and especially 21st centuries are rendering dialects nearly extinct. It hurts. I need to post a list sometime. For example seagulls are also "mews", cognate to German Möwe.

Please, by God, preserve the terms and phrases and such your grandparents remember!
Listening to very early sambas (which would register colloquial urban varieties other rhythms wouldn't) I often realise that the singers made "mistakes" people don't do anymore, but also used standard forms that are now reckoned as formal, not to mention the strange words.

Local terms change pretty fast. One day I was walking around with a friend of mine who is less than twenty years older than myself and he suddently pointed to the sidewalk to warn me there was poop on the floor. I had never heard the word he used for "poop", which made him feel pretty old, lol... My linguistic curiosity led me to ask about it to older people from and outside Rio de Janeiro and I found out it was a dying local word. The internet mentioned it to be used in a specific region of the hinterlands, too.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:02:26 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30630 on: April 23, 2019, 11:07:10 PM »
Does anybody know if Tigre and Trigrinya are mutually intelligible?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #30631 on: April 24, 2019, 09:22:09 AM »
Does anybody know if Tigre and Trigrinya are mutually intelligible?

According to http://www.worldafropedia.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tigray-Tigrinya_people

Tigrinya is closely related to the Tigre language, spoken by the Tigre people, as well as many Beja people. Tigrinya and Tigre although close are not mutually intelligible, and while Tigrinya has traditionally been a written language which uses the same writing system called fidel (Ge'ez script) as Amharic, Tigre has not. Attempts by the Eritrean government to have Tigre written using the Ge'ez script has met with some resistance from the predominantly Muslim Tigre people who associate Ge'ez with the Orthodox Church and would prefer the Arabic or the more neutral Latin alphabet. It has also met with the linguistic difficulty of the Ge'ez script being a syllabic system which does not distinguish long vowels from short ones. While this works well for writing Tigrinya or Amharic, which don't rely on vowel length in words, it does complicate writing Tigre where vowel length sometimes distinguishes one word and its meaning from another. The Ge'ez script evolved from the Epigraphic South Arabian script, whose first inscriptions are from the 8th century BC in Eritrea, Ethiopia and Yemen.

In Ethiopia, Tigrinya is the third most spoken language and the "Tigray" are the third largest ethnic group, after the Oromo and Amhara. In Eritrea, Tigrinya is by far the most spoken language, and they represent about 50% of the population (and the Tigre around 30%).
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30632 on: April 24, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »
Ah, ok, thanks! I figured with the names being so similar, they were a lot closer.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #30633 on: May 01, 2019, 02:18:34 PM »
Today is my birthday. I'm 46.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30634 on: May 01, 2019, 02:24:24 PM »

Happy birthday!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #30635 on: May 01, 2019, 02:35:43 PM »
Thank you very much. :)

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #30636 on: May 01, 2019, 05:28:23 PM »
:) Bright week is a great time for a birthday, my wife's was yesterday

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30637 on: May 01, 2019, 06:10:25 PM »
Happy birthday to her as well, then! :)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #30638 on: May 01, 2019, 11:25:54 PM »

Mazel tov.
Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #30639 on: May 02, 2019, 12:55:26 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30640 on: May 02, 2019, 08:36:10 AM »
I'm away from home and do not have a travel ikon with me!!
Eek
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #30641 on: May 02, 2019, 01:49:50 PM »
Eek

Just face East.  Christ is already on his way back.
Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30642 on: May 03, 2019, 03:55:24 AM »
Late happy birthday, Biro. Many years.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30643 on: May 03, 2019, 10:57:21 AM »
Eek

Finally managed to purchase one at a church

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:57:55 AM by Orthodox_Slav »

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #30644 on: May 04, 2019, 10:48:03 AM »