Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9665064 times)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #30555 on: April 04, 2019, 04:32:24 AM »
On Tuesday there was gathering of the Polish Orthodox bishops. Yesterday the statement from them was announced:

1. The POC has been supporting and is still supporting the autocephaly of the Ukrainian Church (it's even put in bold). However it should be done according to natural dogmatic and canoninical rules of the whole Church (in bold; another possible translation: it should be granted to the whole Church according to natural dogmatic and canoninical rules ), and not to group of "raskolniks" (schismatics).
And all the believers are asked to pray for the Orthodox unity.

2. It's another proof at least some of our bishops read FB or some people "kindly report" to them, as there had been a discussion on FB about Ukraine and some people told that our Portugese and Brasilian bishops hadn't been ordained after being received from an old calendarist group. So, in the statement there are details about chirotonies all of of them.

3. We have about 480 priests. Every year the holy synod grants "paschal prizes" - palitsas, golden crosses, mitres, cross with decorations etc. Normally it should be done according to the years of the service of the certain priest plus/and special achievements or merits. Such prize is bought by priest, so actually it means "right of wearing it". Some of them are given in the metropolitan cathedral during Liturgy of the Great Thursday, and some during parish feasts or any celebration that metropolitan meets such priest.

This year mitres (that are considered to be one of the highest prizes, actually highere are only two crosses and protopresbyter - different from protoyerey) are granted to... 28 priests. So, it means, more than 5%, especially if we don't count our Brasilian priests. Among the priests granted with mitre there mine, LOL/ Sure, I thought that since 2 years ago he became rector/dean of our parish that's in the capital, active and important, would receive after some years mitre, but not so fast - he's almost and just 45, and 5 years ago he got "cross with decorations" - some people say because of helping of introducing the old calendar to our parish, at that time as the 1st vicar I hope it was just a coincidence. Anyway, he's not the only one with not enough years of the priesthood, and knowning some gossips (hope not to be true) about the rest... Eh.

The rest of the prizes are given to.. 50 priests. So, it means, this year 16% priests have been given prizes of the holy synod. Moreover, some prizes may be given by the diocese of the certain priest or nun, so I see in my Warsaw diocese there are prizes to 24 priests and one nun (golden cross).   :o

So, certainly, there are many commentaries among believers, even the ones that are active and known in our Polish Orthodox society, and you can read "I even count shout <axios>".
I'm sorry for some priests for the list that really deserve  these prizes and they're given them among many others...
I hope the POC is not turning into something "triumph of form over content".
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #30556 on: April 04, 2019, 08:45:31 AM »
I can just see the think piece now- "Has this Generation of Priests has been Ruined by Participation Trophies?"
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30557 on: April 04, 2019, 09:09:43 AM »
Current trending words from the Online Etymology Dictionary: god, pharmacy, flack, sarcasm, science, culture, arduous, spirit, re-, utopia
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #30558 on: April 04, 2019, 02:14:36 PM »
I don't get the idea of mitred archpriests but at least 2 of 3 UOC-USA priests I've run across have them.
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30559 on: April 04, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »
I don't get the idea of mitred archpriests but at least 2 of 3 UOC-USA priests I've run across have them.

Archpriest is something higher - it seems, the highest in the POC and we have no archpriest now.
Anyway, I see idea of mitreted priests (in Polish "mitrat") only after long years of the priesthood, having special esteem among the faithful, having an important function. And now.. this year 28 priests got mitres and I think that without counting them we have alread 100 mitret priests... It's definitely too much. And as I said, especially this year it's controversial not only for high number of them, but also that some for them have no enough years of serving as priests.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #30560 on: April 04, 2019, 02:31:01 PM »
There's only one mitred archpriest in Brazil, Fr. Bento Freitas from Rio de Janeiro, plus one non mitred one, Fr. Basílio Romero from Maricá. We have definitely less than twenty priests so it's a large proportion, but still a small absolute number. Both have served for long years.

I didn't know they had been reordained from Old Calendarism, but I never heard the contrary either.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:34:38 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30561 on: April 04, 2019, 02:39:41 PM »
There's only one mitred archpriest in Brazil, Fr. Bento Freitas from Rio de Janeiro, plus one non mitred one, Fr. Basílio Romero from Maricá. We have definitely less than twenty priests so it's a large proportion, but still a small absolute number. Both have served for long years.

I didn't know they had been reordained from Old Calendarism, but I never heard the contrary either.

Is he really archpriest? I think he is protoyerey? As it would be strange that POC has neither archipresbyter nor archipriest in Poland but in Brasil yes...

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30562 on: April 04, 2019, 02:45:23 PM »
We call them both "arcipreste", which is clearly a cognate to "archpriest", but I don't know if this means translation of the protopresbyter rank or distinction between protopresbyter and archpriest. But I never heard of a "protopresbítero" in the POC in Brazil, although Ukrainians, Greeks and Antiochians have priests with this title.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30563 on: April 04, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
We call them both "arcipreste", which is clearly a cognate to "archpriest", but I don't know if this means translation of the protopresbyter rank or distinction between protopresbyter and archpriest. But I never heard of a "protopresbítero" in the POC in Brazil, although Ukrainians, Greeks and Antiochians have priests with this title.

OK, I've found him on the official webpage of the POC: it's written "prot" that means "only" protoyerey": https://www.orthodox.pl/administracja/metropolie/koscielne-jednostki-zagraniczne/

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30564 on: April 04, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »
Not sure if relevant, but this page is outdated, listing extinct churches, a deceased priest (the late Fr. Marcos, may his memory be eternal) and not listing newer churches.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:54:50 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30565 on: April 04, 2019, 03:05:17 PM »
Not sure if relevant, but this page is outdated, listing extinct churches, a deceased priest (the late Fr. Marcos, may his memory be eternal) and not listing newer churches.

Well, at least as it goes for news from Poland and parishes in Poland, it's updated daily. But well, I think we don't have a very good communication with your, our Brasilian brothers and sisters...

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30566 on: April 04, 2019, 03:16:49 PM »
We hear from you guys, but apparently not much the contrary.  :P  The Ecclesia website, belonging to the Ecumenical Patriarchate, does have more updated info in Portuguese: https://www.ecclesia.com.br/igreja-ortodoxa/diretorio.html

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30567 on: April 04, 2019, 04:09:36 PM »
Ok, yeah the one that actually says "Mitred Archpriest" runs that Pro-Cathedral in Hammond I won't shut up about (probably a good reason as any to be "arch") and I don't think the others are "archpriests", just have mitres.

Which is still silly to me, especially because my actual bishop didn't even use one the first time he visited.  ;D
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30568 on: April 04, 2019, 11:56:05 PM »
In before somebody does the stupid Oprah joke lol.

"You get a mitre, and..."

I prefer pointy mitres, to be honest. The rounded ones strike me as kind of boring in comparison, even if they do reflect the OT connection better.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #30569 on: April 05, 2019, 12:00:33 AM »
Pointy miters represent the flame of the Holy Spirit.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30570 on: April 05, 2019, 12:03:41 AM »

Ah, I had no idea that was an interpretation. Interesting.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Publican who hathn’t repented
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint Cuthbert, pray for me, a sinner!
  • Faith: Truth seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Schism
« Reply #30571 on: April 05, 2019, 12:35:41 AM »

Ah, I had no idea that was an interpretation. Interesting.

No, they are actually in the shape of fish, in honor of the Fish God Dagon.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 12:35:55 AM by Eamonomae »
"Feast on wine or fast on water
And your honor shall stand sure,
God Almighty's son and daughter
He the valiant, she the pure;
If an angel out of heaven
Brings you other things to drink,
Thank him for his kind attention,
Go and pour them down the sink."

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30572 on: April 05, 2019, 12:48:26 AM »
Also, my post is sarcastic.

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #30573 on: April 05, 2019, 03:08:56 AM »
Oh, boy.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30574 on: April 05, 2019, 07:10:52 AM »

"You get a mitre, and..."

I prefer pointy mitres, to be honest. The rounded ones strike me as kind of boring in comparison, even if they do reflect the OT connection better.

No, rounded are nice. And they're not boring, just depends on its quality and the head that wears it.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30575 on: April 05, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »
Oh, I agree they can look nice, just in comparison heh.

And there's also some terrible pointed miters (in before a bunch of pictures from Episcopalian churches).

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30576 on: April 05, 2019, 01:35:28 PM »

"You get a mitre, and..
I really had to resist  ;)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30577 on: April 05, 2019, 01:57:16 PM »
Your restraint will earn you a crown of martyrdom in the next life.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:57:31 PM by Volnutt »

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #30578 on: April 05, 2019, 02:07:48 PM »
Oh, I agree they can look nice, just in comparison heh.

And there's also some terrible pointed miters (in before a bunch of pictures from Episcopalian churches).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30579 on: April 05, 2019, 02:19:42 PM »
I like the black bishop's miter. The other two look like vestments designed by kindergarten teachers (though I do like seeing Hebrew letters in just about any context).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:20:26 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30580 on: April 05, 2019, 02:37:27 PM »
Three not releveant to each other things:

1. I wanted to enter the website of the Hagia Sophia parish in Warsaw to check the age and lengh of priesthood of one of the new mitrates; however the Internet of the university doesn't allow, saying "hagiasophia.waw.pl site is blocked because it is categorized in Pornography & Sexuality"

2. During some cleaning of one of the main halls (the closest to the canteen) at our theological institute one of the deacons found dead (I think) snake (I think). He took it by one hand and threw out.

3. I'm not pruderious, but it's quite strange feeling to hear and talk about anticonception, abortion, masturbation, pornography, sex beyond marriage etc. at one of the classes while I was the only female and there were 15 guys.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30581 on: April 05, 2019, 02:44:48 PM »
2. During some cleaning of one of the main halls (the closest to the canteen) at our theological institute one of the deacons found dead (I think) snake (I think). He took it by one hand and threw out.
When my aunt was a kid, she left her little sister alone for a minute and, when she came back, she was playing with a venomous snake. She screamed and fainted, some neighbour heard, saw the scene and killed the snake. Weird hinterlands stuff.

3. I'm not pruderious, but it's quite strange feeling to hear and talk about anticonception, abortion, masturbation, pornography, sex beyond marriage etc. at one of the classes while I was the only female and there were 15 guys.
lol, this must have been awkward

BTW, I was going to PM you asking for the POC's declaration that includes details on the re-ordination of former Old Calendarists, but since I'm already here... :P

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #30582 on: April 05, 2019, 03:02:50 PM »
I like the black bishop's miter. The other two look like vestments designed by kindergarten teachers (though I do like seeing Hebrew letters in just about any context).

I thought oriental orthodox staffs with all the snake thing exagerated till I saw some of the episcopalian staffs, quite flamboyant to be honest.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30583 on: April 05, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
BTW, I was going to PM you asking for the POC's declaration that includes details on the re-ordination of former Old Calendarists, but since I'm already here... :P

Eh, I'm lazy for translations, but OK:
"Furthemore, regarding apperance of  fallacious information about ordinations of Portuguese ex-bishops, the holy synod of the bishops claims:  bishops that had received bishop ordinations from the hands of the old calendarists bishops of Greece, have been - according to their request - recieved into our Church via performing again ordinations by hierarchs of the POC, maintaning in such way the dogmatic and canonical orderd of the Orthodox Church.

And so:

His Exelence Gabriel, bishop of Lisbona - episcopal ordination on 28th August in 1990 in Warsaw: His Eminence metropolita Bazyli, Their Exelences archbishop Sawa, archbishop Szymon, archbishop Jeremiasz, bishop Abel.

His Exelence Teodor, bishop of Evora - episcopal ordination on 11th November in 1990 in Lisbona; Their Exelences archbishop Sawa, archbishop Szymon, metropolitan Gabriel

His Exelence Jan [John], bishop of Silves - - episcopal ordination on 14 December in 1997 in Lisbona; Their Exelences : metropolitan Gabriel, archbishop Szymon, bishop Teodor.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30584 on: April 05, 2019, 04:07:28 PM »
Thank you very much!  ;D  You could have sent in Polish though, for Google Translate.  :P

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30585 on: April 06, 2019, 05:07:25 PM »

1. I wanted to enter the website of the Hagia Sophia parish in Warsaw to check the age and lengh of priesthood of one of the new mitrates; however the Internet of the university doesn't allow, saying "hagiasophia.waw.pl site is blocked because it is categorized in Pornography & Sexuality"

Well, the Hagia Sophia is hot stuff, and shouldn’t be shown to kids.

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30586 on: April 07, 2019, 05:26:37 AM »

Well, the Hagia Sophia is hot stuff, and shouldn’t be shown to kids.
+1453

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30587 on: April 07, 2019, 07:25:40 AM »
When you're saying goodbye to people after hanging out, do you tell them to text you as soon as they get home? This is pretty standard etiquete to me, but a friend just said we only do it because the city is dangerous. Got me thinking.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #30588 on: April 07, 2019, 08:40:57 AM »
It's a danger thing around here. So we might say it when, for example, the roads are very icy.
"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #30589 on: April 09, 2019, 09:50:11 AM »
Yeah where I live it is typically something you only do if there's bad weather.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30590 on: April 09, 2019, 10:06:34 AM »
Seems like a "loved ones" thing, not really a "friends" thing to me.

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30591 on: April 10, 2019, 04:40:14 PM »
So I was playing EU4 (which is an idol in my life) and I decided to convert the Mamluks to Coptic (because why not - it was annoying to do with the Ottomans breathing down your neck, but still), and I got an event where, due to the Muslim population still adjusting to the new religion, strange practices started popping up in the Coptic Faith, including icons of Saints with dog heads that people were venerating.

Lol.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 04:41:11 PM by Eamonomae »

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #30592 on: April 10, 2019, 04:42:51 PM »
So I was playing EU4 (which is an idol in my life) and I decided to convert the Mamluks to Coptic (because why not - it was annoying to do with the Ottomans breathing down your neck, but still), and I got an event where, due to the Muslim population still adjusting to the new religion, strange practices started popping up in the Coptic Faith, including icons of Saints with dog heads that people were venerating.
LOL

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #30593 on: April 10, 2019, 11:14:07 PM »
What Sir Walter Raleigh said about Lent:

"I hate Lent."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30594 on: April 11, 2019, 03:40:33 AM »

Lol.

I had similar situation, I think.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30595 on: April 11, 2019, 03:42:52 AM »
This feeling, when you're sitting in an Orthodox Theological institute and waiting for the supper and seminarians and priests are also sitting and walking around, and you have a video call from your 2 friends from Poland, that met without their husband to drink vodka, sitting on a bench in our housing estate, in front one of typical blocks from the socialism period...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30596 on: April 11, 2019, 03:46:14 AM »
This feeling, when you're sitting in an Orthodox Theological institute and waiting for the supper and seminarians and priests are also sitting and walking around, and you have a video call from your 2 friends from Poland, that met without their husband to drink vodka, sitting on a bench in our housing estate, in front one of typical blocks from the socialism period...

Somehow I feel like there should be a single word for this feeling lol.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30597 on: April 11, 2019, 04:14:56 PM »
his feeling, when waiting for the supper in an Orthodox Theological institute and playing table football with one Russian girl and two seminarians, shouting a bit and jumping, and in the same time a metropolitan is coming in...

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #30598 on: April 11, 2019, 04:26:23 PM »
The Germans have a word for it: Russischesmädelpingpongseminarshunger
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30599 on: April 11, 2019, 04:31:00 PM »
The Germans have a word for it: Russischesmädelpingpongseminarshunger

lol!

Though nobody says mädel anymore. It's all mädchen (which actually began as a diminutive). /pedant
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:34:38 PM by Volnutt »