Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 8957070 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #30510 on: March 19, 2019, 09:56:29 AM »
Have some orthodox Pepe's!

You guys do realize that Pepe is supposed to be a stoner, right?

That was when he was still Matt furie's creation now that internet has adopted him  he is different

I didn't think the Orthodox Church looked favorably on intellectual theft.

Does the Orthodox Church look favorably on Fair Use?

Fair Use is a legal defense (though I have no idea how it would stack up in this case against the moral rights of the artist, if Furie happened to live in a country that more widely recognized those). It has nothing to do with the morality of taking a man's work and loudly appending it to things he finds repugnant.

I realize that the vast majority of people posting Pepes have little to no coherent political views beyond the knee jerk, but it still doesn't seem quite "fair."
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #30511 on: March 19, 2019, 09:09:19 PM »
Some number from Paraguay occasionally sends texts in Guarani in a Spanish-speaking Orthodox group in WhatsApp. Interesting. Makes me wonder if the Divine Liturgy is being served in this language over there.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:09:38 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Eamonomae

• The Publican who hathn’t repented
  • High Elder
  • Saint Thomas the Apostle, pray for me a sinner!
  • Faith: Truth seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Schism
« Reply #30512 on: March 20, 2019, 12:29:43 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufOgTllmr1E

Alex Jones

Quote from: RULES
"Naked" links - links posted without a description of what is being linked to - are not permitted.

5%. This is not your first rodeo.~Arachne
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:09:55 AM by Arachne »
Lord have mercy

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #30513 on: March 20, 2019, 07:45:07 AM »
Some number from Paraguay occasionally sends texts in Guarani in a Spanish-speaking Orthodox group in WhatsApp. Interesting. Makes me wonder if the Divine Liturgy is being served in this language over there.

I know that in Itapúa state in Paraguay there are lot of ukrainian and russian churches, I don't think they use guarani as a liturgical language.

This is the ukrainian parish in Fram disctrict, Itapúa,PY,  it is quite substantial for a city so minuscule, and looks bigger in size than the roman catholic parish.

Ukrainian orthodox monastery in Colonia Santo Domingo, Encarnación.

San Jorge orthodox parish, I think it is ukrainian as well, in Encarnación.

Ukrainian orthodox parish in Urusapucái district, Encarnacion as well, a church in the middle of nowhere basically.

San Miguel Arcanjel parish in Capitán Miranda district, Encarnacion.

San Nicolas parish

Santa Olga parish

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30514 on: March 20, 2019, 01:52:27 PM »
Nice!
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30515 on: March 20, 2019, 02:13:24 PM »
Language nerds, help me out.

Why are implosives and ejectives classed as non-pulmonic consonants when it's literally impossible to make them without breathing lol? I mean, I can understand calling a click non-pulmonic...

Nobody ever replied to this lol.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30516 on: March 20, 2019, 02:14:34 PM »
In Classical Nahuatl (Aztec), diminutives are also honorifics and the word for "child" and "nobleman" are the same.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30517 on: March 20, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
I guess you could say that English does and has done that to an extent as well ("dear," "'Odd's Botkins' = 'God's dear body,'" etc).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:16:24 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30518 on: March 20, 2019, 04:49:24 PM »
Most of Iceland are atheists.

Most of Iceland believe in tiny underground elves that wreck construction projects that get too close to their homes.

Am I missing something, lol?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #30519 on: March 20, 2019, 04:57:19 PM »
Atheism and strict materialism are not the same thing, and a lot of people who disbelieve in God will nonetheless go along with all kinds of whimsical stuff. That's why stuff like feng shui and homeopathy is still lucrative in irreligious places.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #30520 on: March 20, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »
Atheism and strict materialism are not the same thing, and a lot of people who disbelieve in God will nonetheless go along with all kinds of whimsical stuff. That's why stuff like feng shui and homeopathy is still lucrative in irreligious places.

One of the most devout, evangelical Hindus I've ever met is also an atheist.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30521 on: March 20, 2019, 05:17:55 PM »

So Atman to him is just, what? Becoming pure thought?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30522 on: March 20, 2019, 05:18:12 PM »

Very true.

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #30523 on: March 20, 2019, 05:28:10 PM »

More than all of this I think is the fact that regardless if a culture converts to a new belief system, elements of the old belief system - as they are directly a part of cultural heritage - will persist. It seems here that in Iceland, especially due to a lack of a Christian system intentionally trying to get rid of non-Christian elements and Icelandic nationalism, that this specific belief has persisted more prominently compared to more religious cultures.

Just look at American superstitions - we are afraid of haunted houses, we are paranoid about spilled salt, we are paranoid about black cats, we are fearful of broken mirrors - all of this, from what I can tell, stems back to a Western European cultural influence which has origins from at least the Pagan Roman Empire, and because of their prominence in other cultural traditions, suggests that they had origins earlier on.

And Russia is very similar. Unidirectional movements through arches were important in pagan Slavic magical practice, which is why many Russians today keep mirrors near their doors in case they forget their keys or something. Mirrors are really important in Slavic folklore - they serve as the gateway to another world; and when someone dies, many people often cover their mirrors to prevent the family from seeing the dead in the mirrors, so that the soul can move on to the next world and not inhabit a house.

Most relevant, however, is the Domovoy, which was a household deity that a Russian had (many historians think they were just deified ancestors), which through different spirits does various functions in the house - putting out candles, the fireplace, causing mischief when something falls over and breaks, etc.

And this outlook of the world has definitely carried over to a Russian Orthodox outlook on demonology - which is why they have Priests bless everything of the household, even computers, so those "demons" or "spirits" don't mess things up.

Look at the Soviet Union - they couldn't easily detach Orthodoxy in a ritualistic sense, and they often had to use Christian icons and images, but with a secular coat of paint, for cultural reliability.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 05:40:01 PM by Eamonomae »
Lord have mercy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30524 on: March 20, 2019, 06:01:08 PM »
From some Evangelical deliverance ministry:

A demon named Temper causes you to have a temper.

A demon named depression causes you to be depressed.

Boyce and Boice are two demons that interfere with any electronic equipment, i.e., phone, computer, printer, automobile.

If something malfunctions, BIND UP these two demons, and command them to leave your equipment, in the name of Jesus.

Here is an incoming email received: "Hi, Just thought I'd let you know it took me all these hours to run off your complete deliverance manual. My computer kept shutting down, the connection to the internet kept shutting off, I got signs coming up this is an illegal action, you probably have heard all this before, but the devil sure didn't want me to get hold of your material....I thought there has to be some good stuff in here if the devil is this mad.....as soon as I finished running if off, my computer is working perfect...not shutting down,....not getting unconnected. Praise Jesus, He's stronger than any devil. I had to keep taking authority over devils to get the manual printed, even the printer tried to jam up. What a praise report....really. Devil you loose!!!Praise the Lord. Thank you for your web site. Blessings"

On 28 March 2012.  I spoke on my mobile with someone about his daughter being into witchcraft and that he needs to open his eyes and see what is going on around him.  The person was crying and telling me that I am lying.  5 Minutes after the call was ended all my software on my mobile was erased.

God gave me a revelation on 2 Corinthians 4:4.

Satan is called the god of this world or the age as per this Bible verse.  The Greek word is Aion.  The age means the dispensation we're in now.

In Ephesians 2:2 satan is called the prince of the power of the air.  Now the Greek word is Exousia which means authority.  So satan controls the authority of the air.

Satellites are in the air

Internet signals are in the air

Radio and Television signals are in the air

Mobile phones especially text messaging are in the air

No wonder satan is controlling Television, Internet, Satellite and Mobile messages.  He is controlling it because he is the prince of authority of the air.

Also, skulls on Orthodox crosses mean it's part of the Skull and Bones/Illuminati
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:02:15 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #30525 on: March 20, 2019, 06:06:23 PM »
Well someone is carrying on the message of Fr. Seraphim Rose I guess!
"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #30526 on: March 20, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »
And this outlook of the world has definitely carried over to a Russian Orthodox outlook on demonology - which is why they have Priests bless everything of the household, even computers, so those "demons" or "spirits" don't mess things up.

How godless an opinion.
Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #30527 on: March 20, 2019, 06:16:48 PM »

How godless an opinion.

Well, as Volnutt demonstrates with his Evangelical post, why in our culture is blessing computers seen as really bizarre and unneeded, but it's more acceptable for the Patriarch of Moscow himself to do such a thing in Russian cultural eyes?

Did I necessarily say it's a bad thing? Is the Russian Orthodox outlook wrong? Why are houses blessed in the first place?

I tend to have a view that when it comes to the relationship between Orthodoxy and Gentile cultures, that there's a symbiotic relationship - where the culture is given new life by Orthodoxy, and the good things - which include certain cultural perspectives of the world - allow Orthodoxy to be given new life.

Look at the philosophies of Plato, Ptomely, Aristotle, etc.; Christianity existed without them and spread without them, but they are products of a pagan culture and society. And yet the Church (whether you think it's Oriental or Eastern) used them to more deeply and firmly elaborate the Holy Trinity, the Hypostatic Union, etc., while also correcting some clearly erroneous Jewish superstitions that were held by some Fathers like a Flat Earth cosmology or the idea that angels could physically reproduce with human beings.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:26:13 PM by Eamonomae »
Lord have mercy

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #30528 on: March 20, 2019, 06:22:32 PM »
And maybe I am godless when it comes to how I analyze things - but that's what University does to you, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:24:45 PM by Eamonomae »
Lord have mercy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30529 on: March 20, 2019, 06:44:36 PM »
I think blessing objects is a good thing regardless of how demons do or do not specifically operate.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30530 on: March 20, 2019, 09:18:38 PM »
Jainists are atheistic.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30531 on: March 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM »
I think blessing objects is a good thing regardless of how demons do or do not specifically operate.
Such a sweetly weird sentence if taken totally out of context.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #30532 on: March 20, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »
If the Book of Needs is missing a blessing for beer, it needs to be added to catch up to the Catholics.
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #30533 on: March 20, 2019, 10:10:03 PM »
Jainists are atheistic.

Welllllllll...

Yes, they are atheistic, in that they reject a Theistic worldview and reject the existence of any kind of Deity worthy of worship.

Nonetheless, they still believe in the existence of Heavenly Beings, who are generally forbidden from worship (but many Jains do anyways), as well as Siddhas, who are eternal souls that have attained Moksha.

Siddhas and Arihants (soon to be Siddhas), both living and dead, are worthy of veneration and are venerated in a similar manner to how Saints are venerated - where they are respected and given honor for the virtues they espoused, rather than being worthy of worship, and can serve as guides on how to attain Moksha.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:14:14 PM by Eamonomae »
Lord have mercy

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30534 on: March 20, 2019, 10:20:04 PM »
Yeah, that was my point, but thanks for clarifying it. "Atheistic" could also apply to Buddhism in some sense, but it's a fuzzier deal.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #30535 on: March 22, 2019, 02:03:03 AM »

How godless an opinion.

Well, as Volnutt demonstrates with his Evangelical post, why in our culture is blessing computers seen as really bizarre and unneeded, but it's more acceptable for the Patriarch of Moscow himself to do such a thing in Russian cultural eyes?

Did I necessarily say it's a bad thing? Is the Russian Orthodox outlook wrong? Why are houses blessed in the first place?

If you don’t understand why we bless things, that is a valid question and would be better discussed in its own thread.  But you seem to have started by assuming an answer, and it just happened to be wrong.
Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #30536 on: March 22, 2019, 10:01:25 AM »

How godless an opinion.

I tend to have a view that when it comes to the relationship between Orthodoxy and Gentile cultures, that there's a symbiotic relationship - where the culture is given new life by Orthodoxy, and the good things - which include certain cultural perspectives of the world - allow Orthodoxy to be given new life.

Look at the philosophies of Plato, Ptomely, Aristotle, etc.; Christianity existed without them and spread without them, but they are products of a pagan culture and society. And yet the Church (whether you think it's Oriental or Eastern) used them to more deeply and firmly elaborate the Holy Trinity, the Hypostatic Union, etc., while also correcting some clearly erroneous Jewish superstitions that were held by some Fathers like a Flat Earth cosmology or the idea that angels could physically reproduce with human beings.
There is probably nuclear warhead behind those computers.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #30537 on: March 22, 2019, 10:20:51 AM »

So Atman to him is just, what? Becoming pure thought?

I will just say that his views about dharma are complex.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #30538 on: March 22, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
Tomorrow is National Puppy Day in the U.S. I recommend celebrating by making a donation to your local animal shelter.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #30539 on: March 22, 2019, 11:55:11 PM »
So corn is a grass?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Lost in the sectarian sauce
  • Jurisdiction: "Can't we all just get along?"
« Reply #30540 on: March 23, 2019, 10:12:06 PM »
So corn is a grass?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #30541 on: March 23, 2019, 10:25:29 PM »

How godless an opinion.

There is probably nuclear warhead behind those computers.

Like it or not, Nuclear Warheads have prevented any kind of global conflict in the past 70 years.
Lord have mercy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #30542 on: March 23, 2019, 11:27:34 PM »
But they *killed an awful lot of people the first time.*

Try saying that garbage in Japan.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #30543 on: March 23, 2019, 11:49:49 PM »
But they *killed an awful lot of people the first time.*

Try saying that garbage in Japan.

Since what does what I say logically imply I'm all for the actual use of nuclear weapons? It's been a deterrent which has prevented the United States and the Soviet Union / Russia from going to war with each other, instead only using proxy wars for geopolitical gain.

Also, a nuclear bomb wasn't used on Japan - it was an atomic bomb, the nuclear bomb was developed later, which is far more deadly.

And while I think the United States was clearly in the wrong for targeting civilian populations, and what happened shouldn't have been done, my sympathy towards the Japanese people is on the same level as the Germans when they were horribly massacred and raped by the Soviets in Berlin. I feel horrible for the families affected and it's a horrible tragedy that took place, but the Nazi government was run by degenerate pigs who did way worse things.

The Japanese government was run by degenerate animals who were arguably way worse than the Nazis, and what they did was way worse than what the United States did. Have you read what the soldiers did to the Chinese and Koreans, or the "scientific experiments" the Japanese performed on people?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:55:54 PM by Eamonomae »
Lord have mercy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30544 on: March 24, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »
Currently looking into getting started in online freelancing, copywriting, etc.

Finding a bit of advice to the effect that you should offer to do free blogposts in order to encourage the website owners to offer to pay you later on down the road. But I also know that working for free (and "unpaid internships") is generally considered a bad idea. Thoughts?

Relevant.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 05:23:15 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #30545 on: March 25, 2019, 10:12:25 AM »

Finding a bit of advice to the effect that you should offer to do free blogposts in order to encourage the website owners to offer to pay you later on down the road. But I also know that working for free (and "unpaid internships") is generally considered a bad idea. Thoughts?

Relevant.

I am torn about this.

I actually hire writers, and in addition to their resume and writing samples, I have them report something fresh for me so that I can see their work unfiltered through their previous editors...And I know from experience that someone can appear to be great but is actually a mediocre (or poor!) writer under the influence of a strong guiding hand.

But that said, I only ask strong contenders to go that far. I am basically already sold on them if I ask them to do it, and I am only going to ask them for that one thing.

When it comes to Web-based content, however, I'm of the mind that agreeing to generate free content is a bad idea because it re-enforces to owners/publishers that they can wheedle it out of people without ever having to pay a writer.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #30546 on: March 25, 2019, 10:30:38 AM »

Relevant.

I am torn about this.

I actually hire writers, and in addition to their resume and writing samples, I have them report something fresh for me so that I can see their work unfiltered through their previous editors...And I know from experience that someone can appear to be great but is actually a mediocre (or poor!) writer under the influence of a strong guiding hand.

But that said, I only ask strong contenders to go that far. I am basically already sold on them if I ask them to do it, and I am only going to ask them for that one thing.

When it comes to Web-based content, however, I'm of the mind that agreeing to generate free content is a bad idea because it re-enforces to owners/publishers that they can wheedle it out of people without ever having to pay a writer.

In my opinion, excessively strong editing can lead to hackneyed prose.  For example, the Wall Street Journal has a fairly distinctive house style, along with an otherwise eccentric terminology to describe the relative health of businesses (if a company is said to be “flagging”, that’s doubleplusungood, as the Times of Airstrip One might put it).  I originally became a fan of the Telegraph due to its extremely elegant prose, but that was in the era when Simon Heiffer served as the guiding hand on issues of literary style, and he is a master of prose.  Even editing which does not directly modify the content can lead to stylistic monotony when combined with prevailing literary trends; several of the authors of the Golden Age of Science Fiction wrote in a fairly similiar, lightly modernist style during the dominance of John W. Campbell and Astounding Science Fiction, although this Proceustean Bed had become more like a Tempurpedic by the time Astounding was known as Analog, and published in serial form the classic SF epic Dune.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30547 on: March 25, 2019, 07:47:57 PM »

Relevant.

I am torn about this.

Seems like there's a difference between a 500-2000 word sample and doing a bunch of blogposts for free, too.

Thanks.

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #30548 on: March 26, 2019, 01:04:32 AM »
Seriously, WTH.

Volodymyr Zelensky is actually a candidate for President of Ukraine who is doing really well

For those who don’t know, he is an actor who starred in a show called “Servant of the People,” where he plays a high school teacher who’s been recorded by a student swearing about the government and placed on YouTube, and he gets popular support, and becomes the President of Ukraine.

And now this actor is actually running - and might actually win - as the President of Ukraine.

What is even life anymore.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:05:09 AM by Eamonomae »
Lord have mercy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30549 on: March 26, 2019, 02:20:41 AM »
I think the Truman Show is starting to jump the shark.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #30550 on: March 26, 2019, 02:31:47 AM »

Who what now?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #30551 on: March 26, 2019, 02:35:46 AM »

Who what now?

Christof is getting desperate for better ratings so he's pulling more and more elaborate stunts- see, everything going in Ukraine and my joke falling flat.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #30552 on: March 26, 2019, 02:36:47 AM »
Ahh, well it's been a while since I saw the movie so maybe that's it :)

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #30553 on: March 26, 2019, 09:29:22 AM »

Who what now?

Christof is getting desperate for better ratings so he's pulling more and more elaborate stunts- see, everything going in Ukraine and my joke falling flat.

Before you know it Pat. Filaret is going to have to strap himself to a boat mast

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #30554 on: April 04, 2019, 04:32:24 AM »
On Tuesday there was gathering of the Polish Orthodox bishops. Yesterday the statement from them was announced:

1. The POC has been supporting and is still supporting the autocephaly of the Ukrainian Church (it's even put in bold). However it should be done according to natural dogmatic and canoninical rules of the whole Church (in bold; another possible translation: it should be granted to the whole Church according to natural dogmatic and canoninical rules ), and not to group of "raskolniks" (schismatics).
And all the believers are asked to pray for the Orthodox unity.

2. It's another proof at least some of our bishops read FB or some people "kindly report" to them, as there had been a discussion on FB about Ukraine and some people told that our Portugese and Brasilian bishops hadn't been ordained after being received from an old calendarist group. So, in the statement there are details about chirotonies all of of them.

3. We have about 480 priests. Every year the holy synod grants "paschal prizes" - palitsas, golden crosses, mitres, cross with decorations etc. Normally it should be done according to the years of the service of the certain priest plus/and special achievements or merits. Such prize is bought by priest, so actually it means "right of wearing it". Some of them are given in the metropolitan cathedral during Liturgy of the Great Thursday, and some during parish feasts or any celebration that metropolitan meets such priest.

This year mitres (that are considered to be one of the highest prizes, actually highere are only two crosses and protopresbyter - different from protoyerey) are granted to... 28 priests. So, it means, more than 5%, especially if we don't count our Brasilian priests. Among the priests granted with mitre there mine, LOL/ Sure, I thought that since 2 years ago he became rector/dean of our parish that's in the capital, active and important, would receive after some years mitre, but not so fast - he's almost and just 45, and 5 years ago he got "cross with decorations" - some people say because of helping of introducing the old calendar to our parish, at that time as the 1st vicar I hope it was just a coincidence. Anyway, he's not the only one with not enough years of the priesthood, and knowning some gossips (hope not to be true) about the rest... Eh.

The rest of the prizes are given to.. 50 priests. So, it means, this year 16% priests have been given prizes of the holy synod. Moreover, some prizes may be given by the diocese of the certain priest or nun, so I see in my Warsaw diocese there are prizes to 24 priests and one nun (golden cross).   :o

So, certainly, there are many commentaries among believers, even the ones that are active and known in our Polish Orthodox society, and you can read "I even count shout <axios>".
I'm sorry for some priests for the list that really deserve  these prizes and they're given them among many others...
I hope the POC is not turning into something "triumph of form over content".
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)