Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 8957151 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #30150 on: November 18, 2018, 01:45:08 PM »
Often in fiction about the middle ages or ancient times you'll see people cutting themselves or allowing themselves to be cut, to show lack of fear, or as a cultural rite, or whatever. Did this kind of stuff actually happen as often as depicted? I'd think people would have been a little more sober-minded about such things.

In Chinese culture there are spirit mediums who, when whichever deity possess them, will hit themselves with swords, spiked sticks, etc until they’re bloody, just to show they feel no pain. You can see videos of it on YouTube- a popular spectacle connected to “red hat” Daoism.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #30151 on: November 18, 2018, 01:47:47 PM »
Often in fiction about the middle ages or ancient times you'll see people cutting themselves or allowing themselves to be cut, to show lack of fear, or as a cultural rite, or whatever. Did this kind of stuff actually happen as often as depicted? I'd think people would have been a little more sober-minded about such things.
out of context it seemed something pretty normal
I meant in context
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #30152 on: November 18, 2018, 02:50:14 PM »
I thought that was only done by Muslims for the Asura festival. If that's what it's called.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30153 on: November 18, 2018, 03:20:10 PM »
I thought that was only done by Muslims for the Asura festival. If that's what it's called.
It's not very common nowadays, but blood donation is still a big deal among Shi'ites for Ashura. I have donated blood with some once, a friend was friends with a Shi'ite and we all thought it would be a nice opportunity to do it, lol
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30154 on: November 20, 2018, 03:30:51 AM »
Fun fact of the day: It's scientifically proven that dolphins can find humans attractive.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:34:22 AM by Jackson02 »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #30155 on: November 20, 2018, 04:52:11 AM »
Fun fact of the day: It's scientifically proven that dolphins can find humans attractive.
What?  :o
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #30156 on: November 20, 2018, 01:04:40 PM »
Today was fog dissection day.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30157 on: November 20, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »
Is that a "sound of one hand clapping" sort of thing?
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30158 on: November 20, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »

It's true. Female humans release similar pheromones to that of female dolphins. Combine that with the fact that 30% of the average dolphin's time is spent on sexual play, you better watch out the next time you snorkel.  ;)

This message has been brought to you by a biology nerd who has too much time on his hands.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:25:29 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30159 on: November 20, 2018, 01:21:05 PM »

It's true. Female humans release similar pheromones to that of female dolphins. Combine that with the fact that 30% of the average dolphins time is sexual play you better watch out the next time you snorkel.  ;)

This message has been brought to you by a biology nerd who has too much time on his hands.

I would like to caution everyone against googling anything related to this, for the same of your sanity and innocence.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #30160 on: November 20, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
Is that a "sound of one hand clapping" sort of thing?
Not intentionally; I meant frog.   :-[  :laugh:

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #30161 on: November 20, 2018, 01:59:17 PM »

In Chinese culture there are spirit mediums who, when whichever deity possess them, will hit themselves with swords, spiked sticks, etc until they’re bloody, just to show they feel no pain. You can see videos of it on YouTube- a popular spectacle connected to “red hat” Daoism.

I would love to see this catch on with Yoga Megans.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #30162 on: November 20, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »

I would love to see this catch on with Yoga Megans.

How nice.  /s
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30163 on: November 20, 2018, 02:19:07 PM »
What's a Yoga Megan?

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #30164 on: November 20, 2018, 02:24:14 PM »
What's a Yoga Megan?

Basic White Person (I guess Buddhist Brad also applies) who just looooooves Eastern spirituality.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30165 on: November 20, 2018, 02:26:53 PM »
Well, who doesn't? Eastern people are so, like, spiritual.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30166 on: November 20, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »
Actually I think it would be really easy to convince a certain set of people that slashing a sword across your back has some salubrious qi-balancing effect. I mean, someone already convinced them to drink kombucha.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #30167 on: November 20, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »
Actually I think it would be really easy to convince a certain set of people that slashing a sword across your back has some salubrious qi-balancing effect. I mean, someone already convinced them to drink kombucha.

But it's *takes sip* so *chokes* so *chokes* good. I *takes sip, chokes* love it.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #30168 on: November 20, 2018, 04:54:17 PM »
Let's laugh at violence against people we don't like.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #30169 on: November 20, 2018, 04:56:48 PM »

But it's *takes sip* so *chokes* so *chokes* good. I *takes sip, chokes* love it.

I like kombucha, but I also like most fermented foods.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30170 on: November 20, 2018, 05:15:22 PM »

Why would you laugh at such a thing? How terribly cruel.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #30171 on: November 20, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »

So do I. But a bad batch of kombucha early on put me off for good.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30172 on: November 20, 2018, 05:54:03 PM »

So do I. But a bad batch of kombucha early on put me off for good.

That happens.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #30173 on: November 21, 2018, 12:38:26 AM »

OK, I’ll go first.  “LOL!”
Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #30174 on: November 22, 2018, 02:55:07 PM »
So what Black Friday is about in the US? Around here the electronics stores seem to be the first to adopt it.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #30175 on: November 22, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »
So what Black Friday is about in the US? Around here the electronics stores seem to be the first to adopt it.
Lord, have mercy.   :-X
It's about loss leaders and bait swallowed hook, line, and sinker....

No offense to earnest shoppers intended; it's just not at. all. my scene.  At all.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 03:23:38 PM by Ainnir »

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30176 on: November 22, 2018, 03:23:23 PM »
It's an accounting reference to "being in the black", or profitable.  The sales entice people to go into stores to buy.  This is the beginning of the end of the shopping season.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #30177 on: November 26, 2018, 02:01:06 PM »
Based on the commercials, I'm going to guess that the cartoon version of Into the Spider-Verse is going to have a difference of at least 90 percent less Spidey murder than the source material.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30178 on: November 26, 2018, 02:39:11 PM »
I've been first time to haidresser here in Lebanon (and first time in 12 years to another haidresser that mine in Warsaw).
1. It turned out that all the salons on Monday, at least in this area, are closed. Finally I've found one opened, in Tripolis.
2. The lady (in hijab, as Tripoli is majority Muslim-Sunni city) was scared, as she's never cut short hair of a girl (here only older ladies have short hair, and rather not on gel) and firstly she didn't want to do it and said that the chef would be the next day and he might do for me "stylish hair". But I went a long route plus I'm ehr eon studies, I don't have so much time.
3. I showed her a photo from Palm Sunday (as usually I have a haicut prior to the Lazarus Saturday), so she has done it. And employees of the salon were asking after it if I liked it.

And, finally, it looks OK - I mean, almost the same hair as I usually have, thanks God!
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #30179 on: November 26, 2018, 02:55:53 PM »
Do you prefer your hair short?

An Athonite

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30180 on: November 26, 2018, 03:19:14 PM »

Sure. I have short hair from May 2006. From February 2005 I had relativley short (short-medium), only earlier I had had long. And I don't want to have long hair anymore ;)

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #30181 on: November 26, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »

Sure. I have short hair from May 2006. From February 2005 I had relativley short (short-medium), only earlier I had had long. And I don't want to have long hair anymore ;)

But it is your glory!!!1! Next you are telling me you wear pants!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #30182 on: November 26, 2018, 06:52:12 PM »

But it is your glory!!!1! Next you are telling me you wear pants!

Man, I hope not!!

An Athonite

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30183 on: November 27, 2018, 04:43:57 AM »

But it is your glory!!!1!

Short hair is also my glory, along with other things.

Next you are telling me you wear pants!

It's (current) Antiochian style.

But...
I don't follow Antioch in every thing. So, I still prefer dresses and skirts.

I know I'm so modernist and I'll burn in hell as shawarma.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30184 on: November 27, 2018, 08:09:46 AM »

This is both terrifying and hysterical.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #30185 on: November 27, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »

Reminds me of the quote I posted--I think in one of the 'Fathers' threads--of some Russian guy seriously warning that if the Orthodox allowed cultural changes like women wearing pants that it'd mean the collapse of society (or something like that).
"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #30186 on: November 27, 2018, 09:00:24 AM »
Funny. I've had long hair most of my adult life. I've tried having short hair but I always end up growing it back. I feel weird when sporting bald and am too lazy to take care of short hair.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30187 on: November 27, 2018, 09:13:29 AM »

It was supposed to be ironical.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 09:13:53 AM by Dominika »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #30188 on: November 27, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »

Reminds me of the quote I posted--I think in one of the 'Fathers' threads--of some Russian guy seriously warning that if the Orthodox allowed cultural changes like women wearing pants that it'd mean the collapse of society (or something like that).
Curious about the context there.  Honestly, I could argue both sides, though maybe to a less catastrophic end...

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30189 on: November 27, 2018, 09:50:47 AM »

It was supposed to be ironical.

It made laugh quite a bit.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #30190 on: November 27, 2018, 10:42:54 AM »

I will probably be in the demoniac gyro pit down the row for the many years I had long hair against my glory, so I will scream an occasional hello as I repent for reading so much Paris School literature.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30191 on: November 27, 2018, 10:46:39 AM »

I will probably be in the demoniac gyro pit down the row for the many years I had long hair against my glory, so I will scream an occasional hello as I repent for reading so much Paris School literature.

I will be stewing in boiling beans, then poured into a burrito endlesdly.  No one will hear me scream, "But I'm not Mexican!"

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #30192 on: November 27, 2018, 04:32:12 PM »
Yesterday I 'liked' a video on youtube and it was the 153rd like. Today I 'liked' a different video on youtube and it was the 154th like. What means this omen, I wonder. Apostles fishing something something meet the Lord something something time for martyrdom?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:32:31 PM by Asteriktos »
"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30193 on: November 27, 2018, 06:08:10 PM »
Oh my God, I may have become a hipster.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #30194 on: November 27, 2018, 06:39:50 PM »
Oh my God, I may have become a hipster.

Which is weirdly very often the first step toward a hard right veer. Soon localism will become monarchism. Beware, young friend, beware.