Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 7747064 times)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #29655 on: September 09, 2018, 06:39:53 AM »
I don't understand transliteration of names when the target language already has an equivalent.

For example, the standard Russian form of "Michael" is "Михаил." Why then must "Майкл" exist?

Furthermore, it's an absolute travesty that Pom Klementieff's surname is transliterated to "Клементьефф." It's of Russian origin, you dolts!

In order to find easily the anme in the original alphabet/language? E.g we could say in Polish Jerzy Bush or even Jerzy Krzak. Does it really make any sense? In Poland there is tradition only to translate name of hierarchs (both Catholic and Orthodox), sometimes generally of clergy (especially monks and nuns).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #29656 on: September 09, 2018, 09:14:08 PM »
I don't understand transliteration of names when the target language already has an equivalent.

For example, the standard Russian form of "Michael" is "Михаил." Why then must "Майкл" exist?

Furthermore, it's an absolute travesty that Pom Klementieff's surname is transliterated to "Клементьефф." It's of Russian origin, you dolts!

In order to find easily the anme in the original alphabet/language? E.g we could say in Polish Jerzy Bush or even Jerzy Krzak. Does it really make any sense? In Poland there is tradition only to translate name of hierarchs (both Catholic and Orthodox), sometimes generally of clergy (especially monks and nuns).
I believe Lithuanians do translate or adapt foreign names in general, or were these Latvians? IDK. This is more normal when the target language doesn't use the Latin alphabet. This is why Georgians don't know any Donald Trump, but rather Donaldi Trampi.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29657 on: September 09, 2018, 09:18:31 PM »
Eventful elections are far superior to stable institutions. Of the two favourite candidates for president, one is in prison and another is recovering from a serious knife wound. Of the two other relevant candidates, one is squatting and another is praying and fasting for the country in the wilderness. The curre t president has just made videos speaking ill of the respective candidates from both of his party's traditional allies. Amazing.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #29658 on: September 09, 2018, 09:19:34 PM »
Eventful elections are far superior to stable institutions. Of the two favourite candidates for president, one is in prison and another is recovering from a serious knife wound. Of the two other relevant candidates, one is squatting and another is praying and fasting for the country in the wilderness. The curre t president has just made videos speaking ill of the respective candidates from both of his party's traditional allies. Amazing.

Who is praying and fasting?
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

Current profile picture: The Holy Martyrs of Pustozersk

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #29659 on: September 09, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »

Not me.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29660 on: September 09, 2018, 09:25:37 PM »

Some guy called Cabo Daciolo, I can't manage to link or upload his pic here. He actually made Brazil's greatest TV networks climb a mountain to interview him. If I still lived on that side of Rio, I'd seriously consider meeting him.

I started paying attention on him after he turned his impeachment vote into prophecy, and some time later asked the new president to renounce Satanism and Freemasonry and follow Jesus. In the congress. In an incredibly polite way.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:28:36 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29661 on: September 09, 2018, 09:31:30 PM »

Some guy called Cabo Daciolo, I can't manage to link or upload his pic here. He actually made Brazil's greatest TV networks climb a mountain to interview him. If I still lived on that side of Rio, I'd seriously consider meeting him.

I started paying attention on him after he turned his impeachment vote into prophecy, and some time later asked the new president to renounce Satanism and Freemasonry and follow Jesus. In the congress. In an incredibly polite way.

Please let there be video.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29662 on: September 09, 2018, 09:38:09 PM »
One can have a lot of fun with just a reasonable grasp of bad Portuguese

Impeachment prophecy: https://youtu.be/PxJuCoCGEHI

Presidential exhortation: https://youtu.be/NAVf7m5IV6I

Wilderness interview: https://youtu.be/Ux7MmoJ99GM

He was also on the news for being asked to speak on an Evangelical megachurch as a pastor and simply tell everyone that the pastors were stealing their hardworked money and should give it back. The absolute madman.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:40:56 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29663 on: September 09, 2018, 09:45:53 PM »

He was also on the news for being asked to speak on an Evangelical megachurch as a pastor and simply tell everyone that the pastors were stealing their hardworked money and should give it back. The absolute madman.

Understanding heretical Spanish is a hobby of mine.

There had to be a shofar....

Offline Briven

• Elder
« Reply #29664 on: September 09, 2018, 10:24:29 PM »

Is he a Protestant? A Catholic?
“God,”
The words rumbled:

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ruins of Constantinople, Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #29665 on: September 09, 2018, 10:35:26 PM »

I love this guy, but he probably shouldn't be the President of Brazil.  ;D
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29666 on: September 09, 2018, 11:40:20 PM »
He's the best Protestant pastor ever. Even not elected, I hope he keeps praying and fasting for his people.  :angel:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:40:51 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #29667 on: September 10, 2018, 10:55:54 AM »
Galatians 4:28-5:10, emphasis mine.

Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.”

So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.

Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.

And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.

You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

So, is this only a condemnation of heretical Judaizing or is it a general word against any sort of attempt to do something "extra" to merit salvation outside of that which is expected of every believer?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #29668 on: September 10, 2018, 01:53:30 PM »
1830, coined by religion founder Joseph Smith (1805-1844) in Seneca County, N.Y., from Mormon, supposed prophet and author of "The Book of Mormon," explained by Smith as meaning more mon, from English more + Egyptian mon "good." As an adjective by 1842. Related: Mormonism.

Seriously?...
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29669 on: September 10, 2018, 01:59:50 PM »
1830, coined by religion founder Joseph Smith (1805-1844) in Seneca County, N.Y., from Mormon, supposed prophet and author of "The Book of Mormon," explained by Smith as meaning more mon, from English more + Egyptian mon "good." As an adjective by 1842. Related: Mormonism.

Seriously?...
It is uncertain whether it was Joseph Smith (PBUH) who wrote this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_(word)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #29670 on: September 10, 2018, 02:18:14 PM »
They're evacuating a place about 4 miles from where I am because they fear a dam is unstable and about to collapse ...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #29671 on: September 10, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »

Seriously?...
It is uncertain whether it was Joseph Smith (PBUH) who wrote this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_(word)

Yeah, it was either him or Phelps. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:21:05 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #29672 on: September 10, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »

Seriously?...

Of course not. He translated it.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29673 on: September 10, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »
They're evacuating a place about 4 miles from where I am because they fear a dam is unstable and about to collapse ...

Lord, have mercy!

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #29674 on: September 10, 2018, 03:04:26 PM »
what calender's do the Ukrainian churches use?

i know that the UOC-MP uses the old calender but what about the UOC-KP and the UAOC and does the ukrainian Greek catholic church use the old calender?
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Briven

• Elder
« Reply #29675 on: September 10, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »
what calender's do the Ukrainian churches use?

i know that the UOC-MP uses the old calender but what about the UOC-KP and the UAOC and does the ukrainian Greek catholic church use the old calender?

All (forbidden word redacted) Eastern Catholic churches use the new calendar.

You would do well to reread the rules. That particular word for the churches in communion with Rome is forbidden on the forums. Consider this your one penalty-free warning. - Agabus
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:04:46 PM by Agabus »
“God,”
The words rumbled:

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #29676 on: September 10, 2018, 03:14:28 PM »

Just saw this. Lord have mercy!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29677 on: September 10, 2018, 03:55:55 PM »
All (forbidden word redacted - Agabus) Eastern Catholic churches use the new calendar.
I've read otherwise, but I can't really back it up or cite examples. I recall there's some island in the Aegean where Latin Catholics use the Old Calendar for some reason, plus Eastern rite Catholics elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:59:44 PM by Agabus »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #29678 on: September 10, 2018, 04:33:34 PM »
All (forbidden word redacted - Agabus) Eastern Catholic churches use the new calendar.
I've read otherwise, but I can't really back it up or cite examples. I recall there's some island in the Aegean where Latin Catholics use the Old Calendar for some reason, plus Eastern rite Catholics elsewhere.

I'm aware of Roman Catholic in Greece using the old Paschalia (so, in fact, neo-julian calendar).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29679 on: September 10, 2018, 05:32:38 PM »

I'm aware of Roman Catholic in Greece using the old Paschalia (so, in fact, neo-julian calendar).
Yeah, the Orthodox New Calendar, you're right.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Jurisdiction: ruins of Constantinople, Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #29680 on: September 10, 2018, 05:38:42 PM »
When I attended a UGCC parish for a while, they would just read the readings and possibly sing the hymns for both days if a certain priest was able to make it. If not I think they stuck to the Gregorian calendar.
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #29681 on: September 10, 2018, 09:42:35 PM »
I think the mitre looks better without the cross on top.

Offline Briven

• Elder
« Reply #29682 on: September 10, 2018, 10:20:33 PM »
I think the mitre looks better without the cross on top.

Yup. Cross looks slightly too crownlike imo
“God,”
The words rumbled:

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #29683 on: September 10, 2018, 11:34:05 PM »
"Is this supposed to be funny? This isn't funny."

Now a daily occurrence for me.  :-X :-\

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29684 on: September 11, 2018, 01:18:32 AM »
When I attended a UGCC parish for a while, they would just read the readings and possibly sing the hymns for both days if a certain priest was able to make it. If not I think they stuck to the Gregorian calendar.
is this how we'll solve the Old Calendar problem?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #29685 on: September 11, 2018, 04:09:53 AM »
is this how we'll solve the Old Calendar problem?

After the forced switch to the old calendar at my parish there happened, a few times, such situations during Nativity Fast.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29686 on: September 11, 2018, 03:24:22 PM »
After the forced switch to the old calendar at my parish there happened, a few times, such situations during Nativity Fast.
I thought you might have mentioned a similar situation indeed.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #29687 on: September 11, 2018, 04:46:01 PM »
I thought you might have mentioned a similar situation indeed.

Oh yes

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29688 on: September 11, 2018, 04:50:28 PM »
I really like the dark woodwork.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #29689 on: September 12, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »
Random binky found in footbridge between parking structure and children's hospital. Pro-tip don't use random binkies in or just outside hospitals.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 08:46:45 AM by Bob2 »

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29690 on: September 12, 2018, 08:52:49 AM »
But it's free.

Offline Briven

• Elder
« Reply #29691 on: September 13, 2018, 07:06:17 PM »
Has anyone noticed that some Russian articles and essays online translate ridiculously well into English, while others are almost unreadable? Maybe I'm just improving at reading translations. ;)
“God,”
The words rumbled:

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #29692 on: September 13, 2018, 10:26:11 PM »
Has anyone noticed that some Russian articles and essays online translate ridiculously well into English, while others are almost unreadable? Maybe I'm just improving at reading translations. ;)

I've noticed that too. It's a 50/50 chance.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:26:20 PM by Jackson02 »

Online Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #29693 on: September 14, 2018, 10:58:19 AM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #29694 on: September 14, 2018, 11:20:47 AM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29695 on: September 14, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »
I've noticed that too. It's a 50/50 chance.
Me too, it's probably a matter of sentence structure choice.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #29696 on: September 14, 2018, 01:16:08 PM »
There is a preserved frog hanging out in one of my cabinets until sometime after October 1st.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #29697 on: September 14, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »
There is a preserved frog hanging out in one of my cabinets until sometime after October 1st.

Why?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #29698 on: September 14, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »
Gotta get that cauldron started.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #29699 on: September 14, 2018, 03:31:10 PM »
 :laugh:  Let's go with that.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.