Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9376408 times)

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #29520 on: August 29, 2018, 10:57:46 AM »
So, here's a bit of an odd phenomenological question. Once I had a vivid dream in which I died in a car bomb. It HURT. It was this burning sensation that seared my skin and went down to the my very core in a second or two of dream time. I literally woke up screaming and even my mom heard it from at least a room away. I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling.

Does this mean that I in any meaningful sense know what it's like to die in a fiery explosion?
I think you just ate a bad pepperoni slice before bed and your stomach had a burning sensation which gave you a nightmare.

"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #29521 on: August 29, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »
So, here's a bit of an odd phenomenological question. Once I had a vivid dream in which I died in a car bomb. It HURT. It was this burning sensation that seared my skin and went down to the my very core in a second or two of dream time. I literally woke up screaming and even my mom heard it from at least a room away. I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling.

Does this mean that I in any meaningful sense know what it's like to die in a fiery explosion?
I think you just ate a bad pepperoni slice before bed and your stomach had a burning sensation which gave you a nightmare.

Why not lol.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #29522 on: August 29, 2018, 03:07:25 PM »

I have broken bones in dreams.

I have broken bones in real life.

Even though the experience in dream was vivid and even somewhat accurate (I think it was the throbbing of the old fracture as I slept), it wasn't the immersive technicolor experience of the real life happening. So what's your metric for 'meaningful'?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29523 on: August 29, 2018, 03:14:58 PM »

I have broken bones in dreams.

I have broken bones in real life.

Even though the experience in dream was vivid and even somewhat accurate (I think it was the throbbing of the old fracture as I slept), it wasn't the immersive technicolor experience of the real life happening. So what's your metric for 'meaningful'?

If it could somehow count as actual experiential knowledge like if I'd really blown up--and if so what it could mean for our perception of reality in general. I guess I'm interesting in testing the limits of empiricism.

I mean, I guess I'll never know one way or the other without actually being in an explosion IRL (certainly not interested in doing so). But your experience is very informative.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:15:24 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29524 on: August 29, 2018, 03:29:53 PM »
Maybe I've just always been a little too fascinated with George Berkeley lol.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29525 on: August 29, 2018, 03:40:31 PM »
What is being?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29526 on: August 29, 2018, 03:43:10 PM »
I think things are meaningful insofar as they cause an enduring change in us (even if the change is merely to further solidify something already present). Consider violence in video games and television: studies show that they can heighten negatives like aggression in a very short period after observing/interacting, but that this subsides; the emotions die down, and such media can't and won't turn otherwise normal and well-adjusted people into killers. However, this isn't to say that such media can't have a lasting impact: but what changes is how we think about things. Playing, watching, or reading about torture scenes used by "the hero" to gain information won't cause someone to suddenly get an urge to go out torturing, when previously such urges were absent; what they can sometimes do, however, is change someone's mind about when/if it's permissable to use torture, how far it's ok to go, and so on. So imo, with a dream, if it causes some change in us moving forward--even a slight one--then it is meaningful on some level. I've never had a 'physically painful' dream (however that might work), but I have had several dreams involving grief, and I found that they were helpful in processing emotions (and not just grief) in the waking world.
Alexa, what religion should I be a part of?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29527 on: August 29, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »
What is being?

True story, I once looked up "Existence" in the dictionary. The definition was something like "the quality of being real." I looked up "Real," and it said something like "Actually existing."

So, "What is being?" I don't know. "Existing outside of and independent of all minds," maybe? I doubt that's a problem-free definition, though.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29528 on: August 29, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
I think things are meaningful insofar as they cause an enduring change in us (even if the change is merely to further solidify something already present). Consider violence in video games and television: studies show that they can heighten negatives like aggression in a very short period after observing/interacting, but that this subsides; the emotions die down, and such media can't and won't turn otherwise normal and well-adjusted people into killers. However, this isn't to say that such media can't have a lasting impact: but what changes is how we think about things. Playing, watching, or reading about torture scenes used by "the hero" to gain information won't cause someone to suddenly get an urge to go out torturing, when previously such urges were absent; what they can sometimes do, however, is change someone's mind about when/if it's permissable to use torture, how far it's ok to go, and so on. So imo, with a dream, if it causes some change in us moving forward--even a slight one--then it is meaningful on some level. I've never had a 'physically painful' dream (however that might work), but I have had several dreams involving grief, and I found that they were helpful in processing emotions (and not just grief) in the waking world.

I have a lot of stress dreams about losing loved ones. I guess I feel like they're mentally preparing me to an extent, but I'm sure it's just a shadow of what it will be like to eventually live through it.

Mostly I just remember the relief of waking up and realizing that they're not really dead.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #29529 on: August 29, 2018, 05:17:24 PM »
What is being?

True story, I once looked up "Existence" in the dictionary. The definition was something like "the quality of being real." I looked up "Real," and it said something like "Actually existing."

It's like a robot trying to logic its way into Descartes' ontology.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29530 on: August 29, 2018, 06:53:16 PM »
What is being?

It's like a robot trying to logic its way into Descartes' ontology.

lol, really. Goto poele 10

Yes, I know it was actually analytical geometry that he came up with in the stove. Shssh...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:54:52 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29531 on: August 29, 2018, 07:24:58 PM »
"When Athanasios was five, he convinced his newly-engaged godmother to spend the rest of her days in virginity." (source)

As you do.
Alexa, what religion should I be a part of?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #29532 on: August 29, 2018, 07:49:02 PM »
I’m
"When Athanasios was five, he convinced his newly-engaged godmother to spend the rest of her days in virginity." (source)

As you do.

Sometimes other people’s kids can have that effect- “Do I really want to risk having one of those?”
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #29533 on: August 29, 2018, 08:23:15 PM »

As you do.

Oh, great.

Her would-be husband must have been super happy about that.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #29534 on: August 29, 2018, 11:00:20 PM »

As you do.

Oh, great.

Her would-be husband must have been super happy about that.

He most likely ended up marrying, so, yeah. 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #29535 on: August 30, 2018, 01:03:27 PM »
What is being?

So, "What is being?" I don't know. "Existing outside of and independent of all minds," maybe? I doubt that's a problem-free definition, though.
You should look for this stuff in Heidegger rather than a dictionary.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #29536 on: August 30, 2018, 01:23:14 PM »
Lawful good: minasoliman
Lawful neutral: Volnutt
Lawful evil: pasadi97
Neutral good: Alpha60
True neutral: Mor Ephrem
Neutral evil: mike (couldn't think of any active user, so...)
Chaotic good: Iconodule
Chaotic neutral: Xavier
Chaotic evil: augustin717
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #29537 on: August 30, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »

What is this lawful neutral chaotic stuff?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29538 on: August 30, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »

What is this lawful neutral chaotic stuff?

Obviously you weren't one of the cool kids...

To answer your question specifically: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

I wasn't a fan of the alignment system- I preferred just to let players define character personalities.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:31:47 PM by Iconodule »
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29539 on: August 30, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »

I got neutral!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29540 on: August 30, 2018, 01:31:05 PM »
What is being?

You should look for this stuff in Heidegger rather than a dictionary.

Oh, I know. This was when I was a teenager or so.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #29541 on: August 30, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »
Neutral good: Alpha60 Annir
Neutral evil: mike (couldn't think of any active user, so...) Xavier
Chaotic neutral: Xavier WPM
Chaotic evil: augustin717 Chuck Martel

There.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #29542 on: August 30, 2018, 02:43:01 PM »

There.
That's good, but Xavier is definitely pretty chaotic.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #29543 on: August 30, 2018, 03:11:09 PM »
How standardized is liturgical Arabic, and is it Classical? How elevated is the language?
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29544 on: August 30, 2018, 03:13:18 PM »
How standardized is liturgical Arabic, and is it Classical? How elevated is the language?

I think Samn! answers your question here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=52278.0

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #29545 on: August 30, 2018, 03:13:42 PM »

There.

I think of him more as a kooky guy who stays home on Friday nights and preaches at his mirror, patting himself on the back for rhetorical points against imaginary opponents.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #29546 on: August 30, 2018, 03:14:38 PM »

I think Samn! answers your question here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=52278.0
Would you look at that. I should've known to search first. Thanks, Iconodule.
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #29547 on: August 30, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »
Dominikaanatha!

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #29548 on: August 30, 2018, 03:17:46 PM »
Dominikaanatha!
That's a Mor kind of joke.  :P
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #29549 on: August 30, 2018, 03:18:21 PM »
Dominikaanatha!
That's a Mor kind of joke.  :P
It'd be too obvious. :P

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29550 on: August 30, 2018, 03:18:32 PM »

There.

The Bellarminator is very, very lawful. So many gears and sprockets that there isn't any room for good or evil.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #29551 on: August 30, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »
Dominikaanatha!

I'm so glad you didn't forget about me in the topic "Arab Orthodoxy"  :-*

However, it should be "Dominikatu(n)" or "Dominikah" ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #29552 on: August 30, 2018, 04:04:17 PM »
Dominikaanatha!

:-*

Actually, I just annexed your name to "-an atha" ("come, our Dominika!")

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #29553 on: August 30, 2018, 04:21:14 PM »
Dominikaanatha!

:-*

Actually, I just annexed your name to "-an atha" ("come, our Dominika!")

Ah, I thought about ة (femenine ending)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #29554 on: August 30, 2018, 05:45:51 PM »
Dominikaanatha!
That's a Mor kind of joke prayer:P

Fixed.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29555 on: August 30, 2018, 05:47:44 PM »
The only place I know where a meme can turn on a technical point of Arabic or Syriac grammar lol.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #29556 on: August 30, 2018, 05:49:49 PM »
The only place I know where a meme can turn on a technical point of Arabic or Syriac grammar lol.
;)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29557 on: August 31, 2018, 04:09:21 AM »
There's an urban legend going around that if you get to a certain point in the game Kanye Quest 3030, you can get recruited by a cult.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #29558 on: August 31, 2018, 05:23:58 PM »
My random thing is that it's nice when one failed project might mean the success of another.  In this case, it involves plywood, shelf pins, and sub-optimal storage.

Revised down to 3 pieces of wood and 4-6 screws.   8)  Level?  Yes.  Squared?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29559 on: August 31, 2018, 05:39:45 PM »
Good work!

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #29560 on: September 01, 2018, 11:17:52 AM »
Happy New Year! Hope everything is great in 7528!
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #29561 on: September 01, 2018, 11:35:17 AM »

Not for thirteen days.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #29562 on: September 01, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »

Not for thirteen days.
You'll have to send your protest to the Empire c/o Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #29563 on: September 01, 2018, 01:21:28 PM »

All the best! Let be this new year with our Lord Jesus Christ!

Last night we, as Orthodox student and post-studens in Warsaw, organised a nice bonfire.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #29564 on: September 01, 2018, 01:27:43 PM »
Is int Orthodox new year the 14th of  January! it is in Russia, Palestine, Jordan, Armenia, Belarus, Uzbekistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Montenegro, Moldova, Ukraine
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion