Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9638996 times)

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Granbury to Abilene
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #29430 on: August 18, 2018, 05:22:44 PM »
I've never heard of the Ukrainian Orthodox have anything to do with Texas in the US.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29431 on: August 18, 2018, 05:28:49 PM »
I've never heard of the Ukrainian Orthodox have anything to do with Texas in the US.

The The Ukrainians are everywhere, bro!
"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #29432 on: August 18, 2018, 05:42:25 PM »

There's Ukrainian Catholic Churches in Dallas, Houston, and The Colony. So, it's not out of the realm of possibility that there could be a Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Texas at some point. In the US, most Ukrainians seem to go to OCA Churches (though the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA did have a charity drive for Hurricane Harvey relief).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:43:11 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29433 on: August 19, 2018, 02:24:36 AM »
Somewhere on this here forum, within the last 2-3 years, I made a thread about the creed with a question or two about changes made at Constantinople (compared to Nicea). I cannot now find that there thread. Anyone know where to find it?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29435 on: August 19, 2018, 06:48:44 AM »
Unfortunately no, thanks for trying though :)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29436 on: August 19, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »
One of the things that I really wish this forum borrowed from Reddit (and vBulletin), was the ability to see a list of all the threads started by a particular person (including oneself).
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29437 on: August 19, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29438 on: August 19, 2018, 11:55:30 AM »
Stole it from somewhere else lol. It was some article on Halakhic Judaism that I read over a decade ago, I think. Don't remember where I read it.

EDIT: And it seems like other people have used it about 15,000 times, too lol.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:57:48 AM by Volnutt »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #29439 on: August 19, 2018, 02:40:02 PM »
One of the things that I really wish this forum borrowed from Reddit (and vBulletin), was the ability to see a list of all the threads started by a particular person (including oneself).

Profile, Show Posts, Topics.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Granbury to Abilene
« Reply #29440 on: August 19, 2018, 03:54:44 PM »

There's Ukrainian Catholic Churches in Dallas, Houston, and The Colony. So, it's not out of the realm of possibility that there could be a Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Texas at some point. In the US, most Ukrainians seem to go to OCA Churches (though the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA did have a charity drive for Hurricane Harvey relief).

LOL Ukrainian. My (removed - Mor)

Edited to remove profanity.  Mor Ephrem, section moderator.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:00:06 PM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29441 on: August 19, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »
lol, why would I lie about that? https://www.pokrova.org/

The website for St. Sophia's Ukrainian in the The Colony seems to be down. Looks like I was wrong about there being a third Ukrainian Catholic Church in Texas. I misread the search results.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29442 on: August 19, 2018, 04:22:57 PM »
I've been in the local area of the Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport, but that's as close as I've come! I saw no Ukrainians, but then I wasn't looking for them. (what do they look like?)

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #29443 on: August 19, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »
I've been in the local area of the Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport, but that's as close as I've come! I saw no Ukrainians, but then I wasn't looking for them. (what do they look like?)

Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29444 on: August 19, 2018, 05:18:46 PM »

....I'm an idiot.

Thanks.

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #29445 on: August 19, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »

....I'm an idiot.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29446 on: August 21, 2018, 12:59:04 AM »
Ever read those stories about how your devices are listening to you, or otherwise spying? Yeah, just had one of those moments. I'm watching a youtube video, and an address was given in it for a church. Out of curiosity I decided to look it up on Google Maps... only once I put in the first few digits of the street address it auto-recommended the entire address. How many tens of million of addresses start with "203..." and yet it picks the exact one I was going to look up? ???

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #29447 on: August 21, 2018, 01:04:43 AM »
Ever read those stories about how your devices are listening to you, or otherwise spying? Yeah, just had one of those moments. I'm watching a youtube video, and an address was given in it for a church. Out of curiosity I decided to look it up on Google Maps... only once I put in the first few digits of the street address it auto-recommended the entire address. How many tens of million of addresses start with "203..." and yet it picks the exact one I was going to look up? ???
These "stories" are called browser cookies.  :P
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29448 on: August 21, 2018, 01:13:41 AM »

Browser cookies... that takes audio from a youtube video I'm watching and transforms it into a google search suggestion?

Also, the "stories" I mentioned would be things like someone talking in their kitchen about thinking about getting a new grill, without ever having searched for such a thing or looked it up online... and then the next time they're surfing the net they're bombarded with ads for grills. Alexa, turn my casual conversation into targeted ads.

One other also--I read a book (hagiography, really) about Google last year, and they were talking about scanning emails of users and then sending them targeted ads, and how amazing this was, and they just couldn't figure out for the life of them why the users they were testing it on were creeped out.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:17:47 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #29449 on: August 21, 2018, 01:22:53 AM »
Wait, the church was just mentioned in the audio of the video? That's not technically improbable, but it's a whole other level.  ???  Also, I believe Apple is open about Siri listening to people everytime. IDK, I use Android.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #29450 on: August 21, 2018, 02:57:14 AM »

Browser cookies... that takes audio from a youtube video I'm watching and transforms it into a google search suggestion?

Nope. Cookies tells Google that, say, 1000 people have arrived from that specific YouTube video and inserted that specific address into Google Maps. No need for listening.

Also, Google owns YouTube. This it has no need to listen to you but instead track everything said and and done in videos uploaded to YouTube.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29451 on: August 21, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »

Also, the "stories" I mentioned would be things like someone talking in their kitchen about thinking about getting a new grill, without ever having searched for such a thing or looked it up online... and then the next time they're surfing the net they're bombarded with ads for grills. Alexa, turn my casual conversation into targeted ads.

One other also--I read a book (hagiography, really) about Google last year, and they were talking about scanning emails of users and then sending them targeted ads, and how amazing this was, and they just couldn't figure out for the life of them why the users they were testing it on were creeped out.

Don't worry, bro. Uncle Google's sensitive to your concerns.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29452 on: August 21, 2018, 06:55:22 PM »
Words for today:

orange, shamefaced, name, etymology, religion, love, jerk, man, kindergarten, hap

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29453 on: August 21, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #29454 on: August 21, 2018, 10:33:19 PM »

Don't worry, bro. Uncle Google's sensitive to your concerns.
I've had some too, however Facebook instead thinks I might be interested in the "Church of the Unholy Sepulchre".  :o :o :o
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29455 on: August 22, 2018, 12:35:14 AM »
Never thought I'd hear a East Anglian accent in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxVOIj7mvWI
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:44:52 AM by Jackson02 »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #29456 on: August 22, 2018, 01:15:17 AM »

Very interesting! I've also read about heavy Scots influence on some speeches in Pennsylvania, but failed to find any audio.  :-\ Some less exotic nuances in American English can be traced back to regional variations in the UK too, but this stuff has gotten pretty mixed up and confusing across the centuries.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29457 on: August 22, 2018, 03:48:48 PM »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #29458 on: August 22, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »
I work a shift each week at a local charitable organization. For the most part, it's staffed by volunteers, but occasionally someone who has to meet a work requirement for SNAP benefits or who has to do community service gets assigned for a few weeks.

We had a lady come in recently who was quite open that she's serving out a sentence, which is not typical. She's a good worker. We were doing one of the small tasks together and she started talking about why she was assigned community service. She worked at a nursing home and caught another aide pinching an old person with dementia. When she told the other aide that wasn't acceptable, the woman challenged her. "I told her that wasn't going to happen on my watch," she said. "(The other aide) said to me, 'What are you going to do?' So I beat the hell out of her."

Anyway, maybe not the appropriate course of action, but there are worse reasons to end up in the court system than defending old people.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29459 on: August 22, 2018, 04:02:11 PM »

Very interesting! I've also read about heavy Scots influence on some speeches in Pennsylvania, but failed to find any audio.  :-\ Some less exotic nuances in American English can be traced back to regional variations in the UK too, but this stuff has gotten pretty mixed up and confusing across the centuries.

If you ever find the audio I'd love to hear it. It's super sad these ancient dialects are slowly dying out.  :'(
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:02:53 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
    • Pustozersk
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #29460 on: August 22, 2018, 04:05:59 PM »
Speaking of accents, the Pittsburgh accent:

https://youtu.be/bVehhCdk1LI
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

My blog: http://pustozersk.blogspot.com

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29461 on: August 22, 2018, 04:31:10 PM »
Speaking of accents, the Pittsburgh accent:

https://youtu.be/bVehhCdk1LI

It sounds like a nicer version of the Boston accent.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29462 on: August 22, 2018, 06:17:02 PM »
I work a shift each week at a local charitable organization. For the most part, it's staffed by volunteers, but occasionally someone who has to meet a work requirement for SNAP benefits or who has to do community service gets assigned for a few weeks.

We had a lady come in recently who was quite open that she's serving out a sentence, which is not typical. She's a good worker. We were doing one of the small tasks together and she started talking about why she was assigned community service. She worked at a nursing home and caught another aide pinching an old person with dementia. When she told the other aide that wasn't acceptable, the woman challenged her. "I told her that wasn't going to happen on my watch," she said. "(The other aide) said to me, 'What are you going to do?' So I beat the hell out of her."

Anyway, maybe not the appropriate course of action, but there are worse reasons to end up in the court system than defending old people.

Wow. She's my new hero.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29463 on: August 22, 2018, 08:42:04 PM »
My uncle's cancer test came back negative. Praise God! :)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #29464 on: August 22, 2018, 08:45:56 PM »
Praise God!   :D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #29465 on: August 22, 2018, 08:48:02 PM »

Thanks be to God.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #29466 on: August 22, 2018, 08:52:05 PM »
Today I went to Metropolitan Ministries, which is a homeless shelter. I signed up to be a volunteer. I should be working a few days a week, for a few hours each. I asked for either data entry in the office or stocking the food pantry.

I feel much less isolated now.

Thanks be to God for His kindness and His mercy, which this sinner does not deserve.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29467 on: August 22, 2018, 08:57:25 PM »
Today I went to Metropolitan Ministries, which is a homeless shelter. I signed up to be a volunteer. I should be working a few days a week, for a few hours each. I asked for either data entry in the office or stocking the food pantry.

Thanks be to God for His kindness and His mercy, which this sinner does not deserve.

Thank God! I'm glad :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:57:39 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #29468 on: August 22, 2018, 09:09:23 PM »

That is nice!  And glory to God.  :D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #29469 on: August 23, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »

That is nice!  And glory to God.  :D
+2
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29470 on: August 23, 2018, 07:44:25 AM »

Wonderful. Good for you, biro.  :)
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #29471 on: August 23, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
Thank you.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #29472 on: August 23, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »

Good deal.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29473 on: August 23, 2018, 12:31:14 PM »
Romanians rule.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #29474 on: August 23, 2018, 01:12:41 PM »
Romanians rule.
I thought they were just drunk Italians cosplaying Bulgaria?