Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9160409 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #29205 on: July 17, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »
The idea that metaphysics "progresses" and that ethics are objective before but not after someone publishes a book is dumb.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29206 on: July 17, 2018, 01:26:39 PM »
The idea that metaphysics "progresses" and that ethics are objective before but not after someone publishes a book is dumb.

I'm saying a system of ethics could claim objectivity before Kant, just not after him.

And yes that is my point about metaphysics, it has simply run its course. Is there anything better than materialism and existentialism together?

Before this gets misconstrued as an anti-Christian post, I don't think Christianity is a metaphysics although certain influential western theologians have tried to make it into one.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:28:07 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29207 on: July 17, 2018, 01:31:25 PM »

I'm saying a system of ethics could claim objectivity before Kant, just not after him.

Yeah, that's stupid, not to mention Eurocentric.

And yes that is my point about metaphysics, it has simply run its course.

How nice to know that no one needs to think about metaphysical problems anymore. What an empty, pretentious statement.

Is there anything better than materialism and existentialism together?

Yeah. Almost anything else.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29208 on: July 17, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
I got my wisdom teeth removed today.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:08:13 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29209 on: July 17, 2018, 02:08:54 PM »
Was the New-rite Kalimavkion modeled after the Turkish fez? I can't seem to find a picture of an Old Believer Kalimavkion.

They wore their veils either alone or over a koukoulion.

The kalimavkion might just be a local development from the koukoulion and not a fez. I think it's a mistake to assume that what was old rite in Russia was universal across all of Eastern Orthodoxy.

Thank you so much!

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #29210 on: July 17, 2018, 02:53:23 PM »

And yes that is my point about metaphysics, it has simply run its course.

How nice to know that no one needs to think about metaphysical problems anymore. What an empty, pretentious statement.

Is there anything better than materialism and existentialism together?

Almost? What could be worse than everything being a result of the laws of physics and it being absurd that those laws exist in the first place?
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29211 on: July 17, 2018, 02:54:50 PM »
I was thinking something like Maoism-Bronyism.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29212 on: July 17, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »
tfw you make a post on a forum that has a 'popularity' thing (upvoting/thumbs up), and you know ahead of time that it's going to be the most popular comment you ever make there, and it's so disheartening because the post is just such a low-effort jokey thing, meanwhile posts about important things with thought put into them and maybe even a little usefulness get like 1/100th the attention  :-\
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:57:48 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29213 on: July 18, 2018, 11:21:14 AM »

Hardly. Kant caused such a break that one can only speak of a philosophy before Kant and after Kant. (as is also the case with Heidegger and Derrida).

It requires an incredible reworking of what we understand metaphysics to be and in light of that understanding those "metaphysical problems" vanish or must be completely rethought. But I would argue we need to be aware of the transformations thinkers such as Kant have accomplished, and how to work against/with thinkers who have radically changed the scope and meaning of metaphysics. Big, classical metaphysics can no longer be done the same in the wake of such profound thinkers like Kant, Heidegger, Derrida, etc.

I'm just not sure of any metaphysical project worth pursuing that doesn't have some kind of foundation in existentialism/materialism. And I would argue its the closest you can get, philosophically, to an authentic Orthodox theology. The most recent developments in Orthodox theology that attempt to go "beyond" the Fathers (while also re-interpreting that patristic foundation) and engaging with Continental thinkers have been enormously productive. There's no going back to stale Scholasticism or whatever classical theology (especially the Latin method).
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29214 on: July 18, 2018, 12:01:38 PM »
Hardly. Kant caused such a break that one can only speak of a philosophy before Kant and after Kant. (as is also the case with Heidegger and Derrida).

Nope. One can only speak of a philosophy before Wang Yangming and after Wang Yangming. Prove me wrong!

It requires an incredible reworking of what we understand metaphysics to be and in light of that understanding those "metaphysical problems" vanish or must be completely rethought. But I would argue we need to be aware of the transformations thinkers such as Kant have accomplished, and how to work against/with thinkers who have radically changed the scope and meaning of metaphysics. Big, classical metaphysics can no longer be done the same in the wake of such profound thinkers like Kant, Heidegger, Derrida, etc.

Now you're shifting goalposts. Derrida died only a few years ago, and lived centuries after Kant, so obviously even in Europe people can and do continue to explore big, classical metaphysics after Kant and that it has not "run its course". This is without even considering the continued philosophical explorations in China, India, etc.

I'm just not sure of any metaphysical project worth pursuing that doesn't have some kind of foundation in existentialism/materialism. And I would argue its the closest you can get, philosophically, to an authentic Orthodox theology. The most recent developments in Orthodox theology that attempt to go "beyond" the Fathers (while also re-interpreting that patristic foundation) and engaging with Continental thinkers have been enormously productive.

All this only shows that metaphysics has not run its course.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 12:02:04 PM by Iconodule »

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29215 on: July 18, 2018, 12:31:49 PM »
Nope. One can only speak of a philosophy before Wang Yangming and after Wang Yangming. Prove me wrong
A break in the Western metaphysical tradition, ie metaphysics.

Now you're shifting goalposts. Derrida died only a few years ago, and lived centuries after Kant, so obviously even in Europe people can and do continue to explore big, classical metaphysics after Kant and that it has not "run its course". This is without even considering the continued philosophical explorations in China, India, etc.

Well our discussion hinges on an understanding of what metaphysics is, and we seem to disagree on what either of us understand it as, without explicitly saying what it is. You have thinkers like Heidegger who saw the history of metaphysics as onto-theology, which was his criticism leveled against all of Western metaphysics. He attempted to overcome onto-theology (metaphysics) but, according to Derrida, he ended up getting caught in the very metaphysical trap he attempted to escape from. Even Derrida himself doesn't claim to have escaped from it either, but rather sees himself neither included nor excluded in that very same Western tradition he deconstructs (rather he's placed "in" the margin).

All Kant, Heidegger, Derrida have done is shown us what is and isn't possible for metaphysics. They are indispensable to develop any kind of metaphysical project. But I'm doubtful since I think metaphysics is at a complete dead-end. It has nowhere else to go. This closure of metaphysics, I think, calls for a genuine re-encounter with the Christian faith.

All this only shows that metaphysics has not run its course.
I'm not sure contemporary theologians are doing metaphysics in the way you understand that to mean.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #29216 on: July 18, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
I'm alone in the office and I don't know how to turn the air conditioner on. It's hot outside. Any suggestion on how can I enjoy some hot coffee without dying?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29217 on: July 18, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »
Nope. One can only speak of a philosophy before Wang Yangming and after Wang Yangming. Prove me wrong
A break in the Western metaphysical tradition, ie metaphysics.

2000+ years of Hindu, Buddhist, Daoist, and Confucian metaphysics would like to have a word with you.

Well our discussion hinges on an understanding of what metaphysics is

It's not a complicated question- metaphysics is what happens when we ask basic questions about existence, reality, time, space, etc. It is impossible for humans not to do this and the questions are inexhaustible, so the idea that such an exploration can "run its course" is just cute.

All Kant, Heidegger, Derrida have done is shown us what is and isn't possible for metaphysics. They are indispensable to develop any kind of metaphysical project.

Except they're not indispensable. People the world over continue to explore these problems without agreeing with these men or even knowing who they are. What you're doing here is treating a basic activity of the human mind as a fad, like punk rock or something.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #29218 on: July 18, 2018, 01:40:38 PM »
I'm alone in the office and I don't know how to turn the air conditioner on. It's hot outside. Any suggestion on how can I enjoy some hot coffee without dying?

Man up and drink.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #29219 on: July 18, 2018, 01:57:16 PM »

Ask for an ice coffee.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29220 on: July 18, 2018, 03:27:23 PM »
Man up and drink.
Easy to say when you live far beyond the tropics.  :P
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29221 on: July 18, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »
When I visited my family in Borneo a lot of people drank hot tea in the heat and didn't seem to think much of it.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #29222 on: July 18, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »
When I visited my family in Borneo a lot of people drank hot tea in the heat and didn't seem to think much of it.

Same in India, where such is done precisely to help cool off.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #29223 on: July 18, 2018, 06:03:35 PM »

Same in India, where such is done precisely to help cool off.

Tea has cooling properties, regardless of the beverage's temperature. (Actual tea, not just any herbal infusion.) Brits have it hot in all weathers; I'm still working on creating the headspace to do the same.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #29224 on: July 18, 2018, 06:19:07 PM »
Hot tea every day for me.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29225 on: July 18, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »
This is strange. I ended up going caffeine-sober through the day. Sad!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29226 on: July 18, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29227 on: July 18, 2018, 07:12:14 PM »

Do yourself a favor and buy a Mountain Dew.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #29228 on: July 18, 2018, 07:51:52 PM »

Do yourself a favor and buy a Mountain Dew.

Or make friends who won’t suggest you drink Mountain Dew.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29229 on: July 18, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »
I only drank Mountain Dew here once, it's a bit hard to find. It made me want to pee extraordinariously hard and I was stuck in traffic, so I had to recycle the bottle.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #29230 on: July 19, 2018, 02:39:15 AM »

I don't understand how people can get addicted to caffeine. I've drank dubious amounts of coffee and still do when at the office but at home I'm generally too lazy to make coffee.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29231 on: July 19, 2018, 09:28:57 AM »

I don't understand how people can get addicted to caffeine. I've drank dubious amounts of coffee and still do when at the office but at home I'm generally too lazy to make coffee.

That's what happens to me.  On the weekends, I never drink coffee.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #29232 on: July 19, 2018, 10:43:31 AM »

you haven't lived in Brasil....I hated coffee until I moved there and found out that everything functions on coffee......

30 years later.....coffee...coffee....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29233 on: July 19, 2018, 10:47:09 AM »
you haven't lived in Brasil....I hated coffee until I moved there and found out that everything functions on coffee......
I thought you lived in the US northwest, like Seattle or something. What part of Brazil did you move to?

I only drank Mountain Dew here once, it's a bit hard to find. It made me want to pee extraordinariously hard and I was stuck in traffic, so I had to recycle the bottle.
If I lived in Brazil, Antarctica Guarana would be the only pop I'd drink.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29234 on: July 19, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »
I thought you lived in the US northwest, like Seattle or something. What part of Brazil did you move to?

I do live in the Pac NW......30 years ago when i was a young lady, I lived in the Amazon for a while....

guarana = caffeine
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #29235 on: July 19, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »

I live in Finland. We drink more coffee than probably anywhere in the World.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29236 on: July 19, 2018, 12:03:55 PM »

I live in Finland. We drink more coffee than probably anywhere in the World.

so basically you are just admitting to being odd.....;)

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29237 on: July 19, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
Next you'll be telling me you strike up conversations with people on the bus.

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29238 on: July 19, 2018, 01:21:40 PM »
Has anyone heard of this guy before? Is he an atheist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bTJvf09kXo
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:23:36 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29239 on: July 19, 2018, 02:42:27 PM »
edit
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:44:20 PM by RobS »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #29240 on: July 19, 2018, 03:01:50 PM »
Sometimes I see something advertised as "the No. 1 movie in America," I wonder, "Is it No. 1 because it is good and word of mouth travels? Or because it is bad and people don't know they have bad taste? Or because the whole crop of movies out right now is mediocre and people determined to blow an afternoon at the cineplex decided it was the least risky move for their $47?"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:02:07 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29241 on: July 19, 2018, 03:06:08 PM »
Sometimes I see something advertised as "the No. 1 movie in America," I wonder, "Is it No. 1 because it is good and word of mouth travels? Or because it is bad and people don't know they have bad taste? Or because the whole crop of movies out right now is mediocre and people determined to blow an afternoon at the cineplex decided it was the least risky move for their $47?"

This is why when I decide to go to the cinema, I watch 3 or 4 mediocre movies.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29242 on: July 19, 2018, 03:26:37 PM »
Guaraná Antarctica is great, but it doesn't really taste like guaraná (the berry), and neither do other brands of guaraná-based sodas. There are easily available syrups that get a bit closer, though, and one can just buy guaraná powder and mix it with water home, preferrably with sugar since it's kinda bitter.

It doesn't have much caffeine either, but Guaraná Jesus does, a lot, plus other stimulants. It's delicious, but unfortunately it can only be found in nordestino fairs and markets. It seems Coca-Cola bought the drink and stops it from getting commercialised outside the Northeast.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:27:29 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29243 on: July 19, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »
Guaraná Antarctica is great, but it doesn't really taste like guaraná (the berry), and neither do other brands of guaraná-based sodas. There are easily available syrups that get a bit closer, though, and one can just buy guaraná powder and mix it with water home, preferrably with sugar since it's kinda bitter.

It doesn't have much caffeine either, but Guaraná Jesus does, a lot, plus other stimulants. It's delicious, but unfortunately it can only be found in nordestino fairs and markets. It seems Coca-Cola bought the drink and stops it from getting commercialised outside the Northeast.

i wonder how that compares to something like https://www.guaranaco.com/products/view/guarana-bastao-stick-170g

which is the only form (besides soda) that we had where i was.....you would go get a guarana drink...and it was the stick grated up...usually with peanuts or somthing else....like a smoothie...but super caffinated

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29244 on: July 19, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »

i wonder how that compares to something like https://www.guaranaco.com/products/view/guarana-bastao-stick-170g

which is the only form (besides soda) that we had where i was.....you would go get a guarana drink...and it was the stick grated up...usually with peanuts or somthing else....like a smoothie...but super caffinated
Wow, never heard of this! I'm gonna look for it around. It seems to be more expensive than pharmacy guaraná powder bought here, at around 30 reais (8 dollars) for 100g, but much cheaper than at this url.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:39:55 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29245 on: July 19, 2018, 03:40:33 PM »

Wow, never heard of this! I'm gonna look for it around.

I had never seen one in plastic packaging before until i googled.....and 'traditionally' (but i assume not so much these days) you grind the stick...on a dried pirarucu tongue...which sounds vile...but i suspect i have had it that way and just never knew.....

ps...major pet peeve of my life is how USA-ian english pronounces this....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:42:32 PM by DeniseDenise »

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29246 on: July 19, 2018, 03:50:21 PM »
Brazil has a guarana Jesus?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29247 on: July 19, 2018, 03:55:09 PM »
Yes, and its founder was an Atheist, ironically. But his name was Jesus.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29248 on: July 19, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »

among other Jesus's yes

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29249 on: July 19, 2018, 03:58:08 PM »

More like Bavarian Forest German Jesus.  :)