Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9727308 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #29070 on: June 29, 2018, 06:57:33 PM »
My localish parishes serve it the evening before; is that peculiar to my area?

The local OCA parish will sometimes have Vesperal Liturgies, which is helpful.  Unfortunately, I don’t think they had one yesterday, so it was just Great Vespers elsewhere.

The local Antiochians may have had a Vesperal Liturgy, but their website and social media aren’t updated regularly, so it’s hard to know the schedule unless you went to church the previous Sunday or are an Arab.
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #29071 on: June 29, 2018, 07:11:37 PM »

The local OCA parish will sometimes have Vesperal Liturgies, which is helpful.  Unfortunately, I don’t think they had one yesterday, so it was just Great Vespers elsewhere.

The local Antiochians may have had a Vesperal Liturgy, but their website and social media aren’t updated regularly, so it’s hard to know the schedule unless you went to church the previous Sunday or are an Arab.
The closest OCA does them on the feast day itself, I think.  I guess it's at the discretion of the parish priest and the needs of his parishioners, as long as the liturgical timing is technically the next day?
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #29072 on: June 29, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »

The closest OCA does them on the feast day itself, I think.  I guess it's at the discretion of the parish priest and the needs of his parishioners, as long as the liturgical timing is technically the next day?

Yeah, and as long as the bishop approves it.  In my jurisdiction, for example, the bishop leaves it to the discretion of the priest/parish to such an extent that no one really thinks the bishop has anything to do with it.  In other jurisdictions, you can’t take that for granted...you can be permitted a Vesperal Liturgy some days but not others.
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

An Athonite

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29073 on: June 29, 2018, 10:34:19 PM »
Tuning in to watch Ben Shapiro on Bill Maher tonight.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29074 on: June 29, 2018, 10:39:40 PM »

"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29075 on: June 29, 2018, 10:48:38 PM »

Cmon' you have to admit your a little excited right?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:48:47 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #29076 on: June 30, 2018, 12:09:43 AM »
I feel guilty that I haven't been today to Liturgy. But my priest told me (eh, it's now third year) to celebrate saints Peter and Paul feast on 12th July. Quite strange.

If it makes you feel better, I didn’t go to Liturgy today.  The Man wouldn’t let me.

It actually makes me feel worse knowing that three of us didn't make it to church.

I made it to church.  I hope that makes you feel better.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #29077 on: June 30, 2018, 01:04:24 AM »
I didn't make it to Ch... oh, wait, Old Calendar.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #29078 on: June 30, 2018, 07:17:04 AM »
In the unique Polish Orthodox parish outside Poland and Brasil, in Belgium, on some feasts that are not free, like yesterday (yeah, they have new calendar!), they serve it as "agripnia", but, I suppose, with shortcuts: they begin at 7PM with Vespers, litiya, Matins and Liturgy. I think it's possible to finish all these services in 3 hours, so they end at about 10PM.

Edit: While in Poland some parishes have Vespers in the evening (or Vespers + Matins, or only Matins, it depends on the feast if it's from the 12 great or other), and Liturgy at 5, 6 or 7 AM.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:18:21 AM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #29079 on: June 30, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
In the unique Polish Orthodox parish outside Poland and Brasil, in Belgium, on some feasts that are not free, like yesterday (yeah, they have new calendar!), they serve it as "agripnia", but, I suppose, with shortcuts: they begin at 7PM with Vespers, litiya, Matins and Liturgy. I think it's possible to finish all these services in 3 hours, so they end at about 10PM.

How much are they cutting or reading instead of singing that they can do all that in three hours? 

An Athonite

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #29080 on: June 30, 2018, 12:43:52 PM »

How much are they cutting or reading instead of singing that they can do all that in three hours?

Maybe there is a Polish equivalent to the Russian speed chanter.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #29081 on: June 30, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
It's raining, so I'm at home.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #29082 on: June 30, 2018, 01:33:01 PM »

Well, I SUPPOSE it may be done in 3 hours (as a vigil for Sunday can be there 1,5 and Liturgy 1,5). Above all, troparia of the canon(s) are read (melorecytated) and shorten. Only one stcihera to the psalms 148-150 may be read and doxastikon is chanted. To the "Lord, I call" 1 stichera chanted, 1 read and doxastikon chanted. It happenes that 6 psalms are in fact 3 or 4 psalms. And so on.
However, I've noticed that the parts chanted/read in Polish are faster than in Church Slavonic. And the parish in Belgium yeah, uses mainly Church Slavonic, but for some parts Polish too.

No. That's why we call it "Russian style" and it's critisied here. All the readers and psalmists hear there "better less, but slower, that people might understand something".
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #29083 on: June 30, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »

Well, I SUPPOSE it may be done in 3 hours (as a vigil for Sunday can be there 1,5 and Liturgy 1,5). Above all, troparia of the canon(s) are read (melorecytated) and shorten. Only one stcihera to the psalms 148-150 may be read and doxastikon is chanted. To the "Lord, I call" 1 stichera chanted, 1 read and doxastikon chanted. It happenes that 6 psalms are in fact 3 or 4 psalms. And so on.
However, I've noticed that the parts chanted/read in Polish are faster than in Church Slavonic. And the parish in Belgium yeah, uses mainly Church Slavonic, but for some parts Polish too.

No. That's why we call it "Russian style" and it's critisied here. All the readers and psalmists hear there "better less, but slower, that people might understand something".

hold on hold on hold on why are some parts chanted in polish and not Slavonic! i understand if bible readings are in polish but parts of the chants WHY???
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #29084 on: June 30, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »

hold on hold on hold on why are some parts chanted in polish and not Slavonic! i understand if bible readings are in polish but parts of the chants WHY???

Because, maybe, and I know this may shock your delicate sensibilities, there are more Poles in that parish.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #29085 on: June 30, 2018, 04:05:20 PM »
So, where did the stereotype of monkeys liking bananas come from, considering that they aren't really edible in the wild? Did some guy just accidentally drop a banana in a zoo pit once? Is it some kind of racism towards South Americans?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:06:06 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29086 on: June 30, 2018, 05:43:04 PM »
So, where did the stereotype of monkeys liking bananas come from, considering that they aren't really edible in the wild? Did some guy just accidentally drop a banana in a zoo pit once? Is it some kind of racism towards South Americans?

Its funny because wild monkeys actually don't eat bananas. Though studies have shown that monkeys like the bananas we eat because they're sugary.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:46:01 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29087 on: June 30, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »
Ven aquí cobarde cargado de cerdos, y pelearé contigo hombre a cerdo!

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29088 on: June 30, 2018, 06:31:17 PM »

I don't get it.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29089 on: June 30, 2018, 06:37:34 PM »
That wasn't directed at you, just practicing my google translate Spanish in the Random Postings thread :)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #29090 on: June 30, 2018, 07:33:40 PM »
That wasn't directed at you, just practicing my google translate Spanish in the Random Postings thread :)

Foreign language practice belongs in the Foreign Language section.  Your English translation of your previous post in this thread, however, does belong here.   ;)

Mor Ephrem, section moderator.

An Athonite

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29091 on: June 30, 2018, 07:36:51 PM »
Hmm, google translate says: "Come here coward laden with pigs, and I will fight with you man to pig!"  That captures the spirit of my original statement, if not the blistering eloquence.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29092 on: June 30, 2018, 08:03:34 PM »
Hmm, google translate says: "Come here coward laden with pigs, and I will fight with you man to pig!"  That captures the spirit of my original statement, if not the blistering eloquence.

yes, I totally agree!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #29093 on: June 30, 2018, 08:28:05 PM »

yes, I totally agree!

You are under no obligation to respond to everything in order to maintain your membership status here.

An Athonite

Offline Brilko

• Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #29094 on: June 30, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »

yes, I totally agree!

You are under no obligation to respond to everything in order to maintain your membership status here.
I wish you could tell this to  the people who think they must respond to Amazon requests for user reviews.

*** I can’t review this. I bought it as a gift for someone else.
*     I don’t remember buying this. Why do I need to review it?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #29095 on: June 30, 2018, 08:44:38 PM »

yes, I totally agree!

I wish you could tell this to  the people who think they must respond to Amazon requests for user reviews.

I wish I could help all God’s children, but alas, I am only one man.  A damn spectacular man, but only one man.

An Athonite

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #29096 on: June 30, 2018, 11:24:04 PM »

yes, I totally agree!

I wish I could help all God’s children, but alas, I am only one man.  A damn spectacular man, but only one man.

We need More Phrems!   We should clone you and create an entire class of superhumans, the Phrem Delta series, which would be genetically enhanced for improved disease resistance and cynernetically augmented; the Phrems would provide all public safety and service functions, almost, but not entirely, like the Sandmen from Logan’s Run, or the Replicants of Blade Runner.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:24:25 PM by Alpha60 »

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #29097 on: June 30, 2018, 11:27:57 PM »
He's only valuable if there is only one of him.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29098 on: June 30, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »
We need More Phrems!   We should clone you and create an entire class of superhumans, the Phrem Delta series, which would be genetically enhanced for improved disease resistance and cynernetically augmented; the Phrems would provide all public safety and service functions, almost, but not entirely, like the Sandmen from Logan’s Run, or the Replicants of Blade Runner.

Did you miss the Star Trek episode about this possibly happening with Datas and then Guinan has that big dramatic moment where she points out that that would be a slave race and Picard is like OMG wat are we even doing!?

Offline Brilko

• Elder
« Reply #29099 on: July 01, 2018, 01:12:49 AM »
And then Worf slapped Picard and told him to quite being such a fussbudget.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #29100 on: July 01, 2018, 01:18:28 AM »

Did you miss the Star Trek episode about this possibly happening with Datas and then Guinan has that big dramatic moment where she points out that that would be a slave race and Picard is like OMG wat are we even doing!?

Yes.  I do vaguely recall however the episode where Starfleet wanted to dismantle Data to find out how he worked, and perhaps that dialogue happened; I remember it was called Measure of a Man and I found it boring.  It was one of those mediocre 2nd season episodes that suffered from the feud between Roddenberry and the chap who came up with the Borg concept, who then left the show.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #29101 on: July 01, 2018, 01:20:24 AM »

That would be dishonorable.  Worf would never do something like that.  He did kill the Klingon Chancellor Gowron, but for rather different reasons relating to corruption and personal vainglory that brought not only dishonor to the Empire but the risk of destruction, since Gowron was incompetent as a commander compared to General Martok, who he had relieved.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #29102 on: July 01, 2018, 01:23:59 AM »
He's only valuable if there is only one of him.

We could connect all of the Phrems via a bio-electronic network, facilitating a distributed consciousness in which all of the Phrems were controlled by a single hive mind.

We could also for that matter clone Rachel Weisz in the same manner, so as to experiment with the concept as to whether or not a pair of distributed consciousness lifeforms could reproduce, and to see if the prerequisite genetic modifications would become hereditary.  :P

Thus Mor, hopefully any concerns you might have regarding my desire to replicate you will be alleviated by the thought of an army of Rachel Weisz units, all genetically predisposed to pair with your distributed Phrem units.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:26:12 AM by Alpha60 »

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Brilko

• Elder
« Reply #29103 on: July 01, 2018, 02:11:17 AM »

That would be dishonorable.  Worf would never do something like that.  He did kill the Klingon Chancellor Gowron, but for rather different reasons relating to corruption and personal vainglory that brought not only dishonor to the Empire but the risk of destruction, since Gowron was incompetent as a commander compared to General Martok, who he had relieved.

It was Q disguised as Worf.

“That was most dishonorable,” said Worf. “Though I must admit that I have long wanted to do that.”

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #29104 on: July 01, 2018, 02:36:16 AM »
Wait, who's the cerdo, you or the other guy...? Also, you can PM me if you actually want to train some Spanish.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29105 on: July 01, 2018, 04:23:05 PM »
With the pig thing I was half-remembering a line from the 90s movie Airheads, "l can't wait for you to put that gun down, 'cause when you do we're gonna throw down. That's right, we gonna get serious. Mano-a-swine."

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29106 on: July 01, 2018, 04:26:50 PM »
Anyway, so it's about time for me to take another vacation. Hold down the fort, keep the home fires burning, leave a light on, etc. etc. 

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29107 on: July 01, 2018, 04:36:49 PM »
Anyway, so it's about time for me to take another vacation. Hold down the fort, keep the home fires burning, leave a light on, etc. etc.

Where are you going?

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29108 on: July 01, 2018, 08:50:57 PM »
I NEED PANCAKES!

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #29109 on: July 01, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »
May the time be fruitful!
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #29110 on: July 02, 2018, 02:46:00 AM »
I've scratched my eye after holding a habanero chocolate pepper (twenty to fourty times stronger than jalapeño). There is only one part of the body such strong peppers hurt more.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #29111 on: July 02, 2018, 03:08:15 AM »
I've scratched my eye after holding a habanero chocolate pepper (twenty to fourty times stronger than jalapeño). There is only one part of the body such strong peppers hurt more.

Oh ouch.  So you scratched your eye and then managed to get habanero juice into it?

Habaneros are especially spicy.   My system can no longer tolerate strong pepper, but in my youth I would use small amounts of Habanero sauce with Mexican food in the same way that I am still fortunately able to use Wasabi with Sushi.  The capsaicin in pepper burns my digestive tract excessively and I might have an ulcer or other damage, but for some reason, I can still enjoy Wasabi, in small quantities.  I also would not want to put that stuff in my eyes!

I suppose the body part where strong peppers might hurt more is, to use a euphemism, “where the sun does not shine.”  Given the discomfort pepper causes on the way out, I shudder to think what pepper would feel like if applied directly to the nether regions of human anatomy.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #29112 on: July 02, 2018, 07:32:57 AM »
Ouch. Once my father brought ljute papričice (hot peppers) from my family in Bosnia (their own "production") for my birthday party. Two guys bet they would eat such pepper. They managed to do it, however, they forgot to clean their hands after it. Both of them rubbed their eyes, so... at least 15 minutes they were in big trouble, outised the party.

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29113 on: July 02, 2018, 10:40:04 AM »

As someone who eats habaneros on pretty much a weekly basis, I feel your pain.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:40:35 AM by Jackson02 »

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29114 on: July 02, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
What religion was everyone before they became Orthodox! ???