Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9707470 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28755 on: June 01, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
Is anybody making pirate movies outside the Disney franchise? And I think ninjas peaked for the West in the late 80's.

Ah yes... I remember the many hours reading in the library, buying martial arts magazines, leafing through catalogs, and then running through the woods with funny clothes on and a $2 throwing star in my pocket. I was going to become a ninja. I really was.
"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28756 on: June 01, 2018, 01:18:36 PM »
Have you watched Bill Nye Saves the World yet? well I did, and I regret everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVDBD_HXtMs

There's a quote that really fits here: You can either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:19:37 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28757 on: June 01, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »
Have you watched Bill Nye Saves the World yet? well I did, and I regret everything.

There's a quote that really fits here: You can either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

I didn't grow up with Nye, and the new show hasn't had much pull for me; I did watch this and this multiple times, though.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #28758 on: June 01, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »

What are you doing watching him at all? What kind of Trudox are you? ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:49:11 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28759 on: June 01, 2018, 02:15:36 PM »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28760 on: June 01, 2018, 02:46:16 PM »

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28761 on: June 01, 2018, 02:47:37 PM »

One that likes to torture himself seeing one of his favorite childhood icons brainwashing the masses.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 02:47:50 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #28762 on: June 01, 2018, 04:14:13 PM »

One that likes to torture himself seeing one of his favorite childhood icons brainwashing the masses.  :laugh:

IIRC, even Nye's fans had "what the-" reactions to that clip.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28763 on: June 01, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
Why do people sometimes have problems learning or executing pronunciations with a newly-acquired language? Like someone learning English as their second or third language won't use an -sk sound when required but rather do an -x sound (dex instead of desk)? Is the issue in how their brains are doing things, or is it a more to do with their mouth/tongue/etc. ("muscle memory" or something)?

There are sounds or combinations in the new language that don’t exist in the native language. Not only can it be difficult to do the contortions necessary to make the sounds, but the differences can be hard to hear because the brain will tend to steer you toward what you expect to hear. The person saying dex instead of desk might not even be able to hear the difference without further training.

I forgot to say I saw this and the other responses, thanks :)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28764 on: June 01, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
Incredibly complex balloon animals
How much do they cost?

I think they were just made for an art project. I guess you could email Masayoshi Matsumoto about it. Bronzed balloon animals are pretty cool, too.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #28765 on: June 01, 2018, 08:58:19 PM »
There is a razor-thin line between genius and madness.
Rose pistachio ice cream may just cross that line.
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28766 on: June 01, 2018, 09:50:44 PM »

Beakman needs to come back and show Bill Nye what's what ;)
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #28767 on: June 01, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »

Um, does that have bits of flowers in it?
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28768 on: June 01, 2018, 10:28:39 PM »

Um, does that have bits of flowers in it?
I didn't ask for the ingredient list, but most likely rosewater.
Definitely not something you find at the supermarket though, but I'm leaning towards "genius".
One of the owners sings in choir once in a while though, so I'm a tad biased.  ;D

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28769 on: June 01, 2018, 10:34:53 PM »

Maybe it is the line.  :laugh:
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Brilko

• Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #28770 on: June 01, 2018, 11:09:53 PM »

Beakman needs to come back and show Bill Nye what's what ;)

Beakman came back to team up with Captain Disillusion for one episode.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sT_bTnkwLuE

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28771 on: June 01, 2018, 11:43:57 PM »
From wikipedia, emphasis mine:

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled protist (chrysophytes). It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive in products including metal polishes and toothpaste, mechanical insecticide, absorbent for liquids, matting agent for coatings, reinforcing filler in plastics and rubber, anti-block in plastic films, porous support for chemical catalysts, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, a stabilizing component of dynamite, and a thermal insulator.

At first I read that as "flirtation aid" and was confused for a couple of seconds.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28772 on: June 02, 2018, 06:18:57 PM »
The 10 3 commandments on which American law is based (??)

You shall have no other gods before me.

You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

You shall not murder.

You shall not commit adultery.

You shall not steal.

You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28773 on: June 02, 2018, 07:17:23 PM »
Sounds about right.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28774 on: June 02, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »
Still needs some asterisks, disclaimers, and fine print  ;)

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #28775 on: June 02, 2018, 08:28:40 PM »
In another state, scoping out a parish to attend tomorrow morning. American Orthodoxy is so... idiosyncratic?
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28776 on: June 02, 2018, 10:35:54 PM »
We're currently experiencing an angry thunderstorm covering half the sky. The other half is sunny and only partly cloudy. It's weird.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28777 on: June 02, 2018, 11:14:25 PM »
TIL Tumblr kind of sort of made up a Greek Goddess that never existed- "Mesperyian," daughter of Hades and Persephone.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:14:45 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #28778 on: June 02, 2018, 11:32:05 PM »
We're currently experiencing an angry thunderstorm covering half the sky. The other half is sunny and only partly cloudy. It's weird.
Welcome to Georgia.  :D

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Αλάσκανος
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #28779 on: June 02, 2018, 11:37:41 PM »

I'm finding it dreadfully hot either way. Spending a lot of time in my car today and its just a sweatbox.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28780 on: June 03, 2018, 03:08:37 AM »

I'm finding it dreadfully hot either way. Spending a lot of time in my car today and its just a sweatbox.

I guess I've been spending too much time inside to notice much. I did get pretty hot after getting back from my walk this evening, though.

Welcome to Georgia.  :D

lol

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28781 on: June 03, 2018, 03:32:01 AM »
Mental note: when trying to prove your innocence, always tell a person you had no part in the hypothetical situation BEFORE you tell them the situation.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 03:32:46 AM by Jackson02 »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28782 on: June 03, 2018, 03:35:32 AM »
But that might make them suspicious that you're a little too eager to exonerate yourself.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #28783 on: June 03, 2018, 04:19:18 PM »
In another state, scoping out a parish to attend tomorrow morning. American Orthodoxy is so... idiosyncratic?

How'd it go?  If you can share with discretion.  Do you contact a parish you're visiting beforehand, or only if you're wanting to commune?
I was raised and live in a milieu that feels that traveling = no church.  It's either just another day to do what you want, or a day to drive to/from you destination.   :-\

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #28784 on: June 03, 2018, 04:37:03 PM »
My Fitbit decided to start working today. So, that's something.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28785 on: June 03, 2018, 10:02:58 PM »
Had my first cigarette this weekend.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:03:33 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28786 on: June 03, 2018, 10:33:38 PM »
http://www.sedevacantistsingles.com/

sedevacantist singles

lol
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28787 on: June 03, 2018, 10:43:40 PM »

Like, ever?

sedevacantist singles

lol

I still get emails from the Catholic dating site I signed up for half a dozen years ago purely out of curiosity. Them Catholics are persistent.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28788 on: June 03, 2018, 10:54:18 PM »

Has it made you a believer?

sedevacantist singles

lol

Baby, the Chair might be vacant, but with you my hoopty sure won't be!

Best I could do...

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28789 on: June 04, 2018, 02:29:35 AM »
I thought Orthodoxy prohibited smoking.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28790 on: June 04, 2018, 03:10:24 AM »

You're thinking of sex on fasting days. They're easily confused!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #28791 on: June 04, 2018, 10:46:39 AM »

A few weeks ago I met with my college roommate and smoked my first cigarette in five-ish years. It was great for the first half, but by the end I remembered why I quit.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but in All the East
« Reply #28792 on: June 04, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »

You're thinking of sex on fasting days. They're easily confused!

Just to let you know. From my readings looks like smoking is a show stopper and is going to hell. I don't know if even eastern orthodoxy can help with that. The problem may be that it goes against health.

It's settled.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28793 on: June 04, 2018, 12:21:45 PM »
Pasadis locutus, causa finita.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #28794 on: June 04, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »
I miss smoking. Not the cigarrettes themselves but rather the social aspects that smoking brings. It's excellent pastime.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28795 on: June 04, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »
I miss smoking. Not the cigarrettes themselves but rather the social aspects that smoking brings. It's excellent pastime.

Well, I guess if you don't mind second hand smoke you could be the weird guy that just hangs around with the smokers to talk, heh.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #28796 on: June 04, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »
St Nicodemus the Hagiorite says:

Here, dear reader, I want to remind you of a bad habit not only among lay people, but also among the clergy and even the bishops. I am referring to the use of that plant called nicotine, which was discovered in some region of America known as Anthea and introduced to Catherine the Queen of France by the Ambassador of Portugal as a sort of miracle of the new world. This is why it was given the exalted name of a “royal plant.”

Of course, this is nothing other than what is commonly known as tobacco. I hope, therefore, that you will never imitate those who wrongfully use this tobacco and that you will never privately or before other persons smoke tobacco or place some of it into your nostrils as snuff. First of all, the use of tobacco is contrary to the virtuous way of life. Secondly, it is inappropriate to the high character of the priesthood. Thirdly, it is contrary to good health habits. The habit of smoking is contrary to the virtuous way of life.

The true boundary of virtuous living, according to the teaching of “Galation” [a small book published in Florence that was widely accepted in Italy as a moral guide], is trespassed when we do something that may naturally harm the senses or the imagination of noble persons and call forth an abhorrence. Who then cannot see that the use of tobacco crosses over this boundary of virtuous habits and introduces barbarous habits, rustic habits, which are abhorrent to those who see and who hear and imagine what is done by those who use tobacco?

Proper behavior requires that a person turn away when cleaning his nose into his handkerchief. The smoke which is inhaled through the nostrils causes the nose to excrete that abhorrent mucus that is then collected in the handkerchief in the presence of others. Proper manners further direct that when a person has to sneeze before others, he must try to block it, if at all possible, or at least to cover it with his handkerchief so that the nose does not bellow like a horn trumpet and cause alarm and abhorrence. Those who would place and stuff into their nose this tobacco powder only vex the organ of smell and bring upon themselves the need to sneeze. A good sneeze usually creates such a violent and terrible shaking of the head that it invokes from people standing by a call for divine intercession with such expressions as these: “Health to you,” “Be saved,” “God bless you.”

The most terrible thing, however, is for a person to put into his mouth a pipe made from an animal horn or from some type of wood and from that pipe to inhale the smoke of burning tobacco through his larynx and then to exhale that abhorrent smoke through the mouth and the nostrils like some smoking chimney or like the horses of Diomedes, or the bulls of Jason that exhaled fiery smoke through their mouth and nostrils. Can one find a more abhorrent and abominable habit than this?

Smoking is also an inappropriate habit and unbecoming to the spiritual character of the priesthood. The hierarch is a type of God, an icon of Christ Jesus. Therefore all of his habits must be Christ-like, solemn, habits that bring not scandals, but benefits to the people. What solemnity is there in the use of that horrible tobacco plant? Or of what benefit is it? On the contrary, what a scandal it is to the pious Christians, when they see their hierarch or priest holding between his teeth that strange-looking object -- the pipe -- in which the tobacco is burning! Indeed, how scandalous it is to see a clergyman exhaling from his nose and mouth that foul-smelling smoke, and to have his house filled with that dark cloud of unpleasant smoke!

The hierarch and all the clergy are obliged by their very nature to exude a spiritual fragrance from all of their senses so that they may transmit this fragrance upon all those who approach them -- Christians as well as unbelievers, as St. Paul wrote: “For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing” (II Corinthians 2:15). When the clergy draw into their body both through their mouth and their nose that most foul smelling smoke, that many cannot bear and faint, how can they then be, according to the very nature of their calling, an aroma and a fragrance of Christian life for those who are around them? This is the reason why in that most pious Kingdom of Russia there is an un-transgressed law that forbids all the orders of clergy and monks from using publicly tobacco through the nose or the mouth. Anyone so doing is considered by all to be a transgressor worthy of aversion.

Finally, the excessive use of tobacco is also harmful to the health of the body. Many who were chronic users of tobacco were found after death to have their lungs blackened and burned, as well as their brain. Inasmuch as the brain receives continuously the inhaled smoke, it consequently uses up not only the excess fluid but also the natural and essential one. Thus, it is difficult to find even one among those who use tobacco regularly who does not admit that its use is more of an evil than a necessity, and who does not condemn himself for using it. Even the moral philosophers, without exception, condemn the regular use of tobacco in public as something abhorrent and boorish.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28797 on: June 04, 2018, 02:14:21 PM »
I was actually all set to congratulate you on another good Poe. Then I thought, "Might as well do a quick Google search to see if it's something that St. Nicodemus actually said."

Well, turns out there's egg on MY face LOL.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:14:49 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28798 on: June 04, 2018, 11:49:29 PM »
Something an LPer said suggested this to me and it kind of blew my mind. In a generation or two, there's going to be such things as digital heirlooms- Warcraft weapons, Pokemon, etc- that people pass down to their kids. In a hundred years, there'll likely be a lot of them, in fact.

Which would likely also imply that there's going to arise a whole body of law governing how they can be transferred. Heck, there's already been actual murders over the sale of digital goods (and ultra-high stakes gambling).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28799 on: June 04, 2018, 11:58:32 PM »
I also wonder what this says about the nominals vs. universals debate. At bottom, a digital object is just a collection of binary that tells the computer it's entered into to configure itself in a certain way. Yet, the whole is clearly more than the sum of its parts and has meaning that can only be discerned by looking at it as a whole.

Or maybe I just don't understand nominalism very well.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:59:21 PM by Volnutt »