Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9661679 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28710 on: May 30, 2018, 04:58:05 PM »
Some of them are really gruesome, like the Department for Implementing 15 Kinds of Violent Death, with all various violent deaths vividly depicted. If you want to get favors at a particular department, you tie a little votive plaque to the railing in front of it. I couldn't help but notice that the Department for Implementing Fifteen Kinds of Violent Death got a lot more offerings than the Department for Protecting the Environment.
Nonsense. If you want someone to have a violent death, just leave some food for the right spirit in a crossroad they go by, it's so simple.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #28711 on: May 30, 2018, 05:06:19 PM »
I remember my mom taking me to a haunted house in a theme park in Taiwan- there was definitely nothing cute or whimsical about it. I remember lots of the "hanged ghosts" (ghosts who died from suicide, murder, etc.)- elongated figures with long tongues swinging from their mouths.

In Beijing there is a Daoist temple (Dongyue Miao) which more or less doubles as a theme park. It is a depiction of the underworld as divided into various bureaucratic departments, e.g. the Department of Rain Gods, the Department of Forest Spirits, etc. with the deities and their attendants depicted in garish plaster statues. Some of them are really gruesome, like the Department for Implementing 15 Kinds of Violent Death, with all various violent deaths vividly depicted. If you want to get favors at a particular department, you tie a little votive plaque to the railing in front of it. I couldn't help but notice that the Department for Implementing Fifteen Kinds of Violent Death got a lot more offerings than the Department for Protecting the Environment.

Oh yeah! I remember there was a thread about a Thai version of that.

Maybe Disney figured it wasn't the same thing as what they do because of the former's religious angle?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28712 on: May 30, 2018, 05:09:36 PM »
Because Disney was afraid that it would be seen as dishonoring the ancestors, Hong Kong Disneyland is the only park with no Haunted Mansion.

Huh? There are haunted houses in Chinese theme parks, and they tend to be way more gruesome and terrifying than the Disney version.

Odd. Cultural sensitivity overcompensation!

Maybe they could build a Mexican-Chinese hybrid room where children have to beat a Baigujing pinata.

Complete with Panchito Pistoles as Enma!
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28713 on: May 30, 2018, 05:17:44 PM »
When you wish upon a star...

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28714 on: May 30, 2018, 06:01:18 PM »
Wake up, sheeple! 

"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28715 on: May 30, 2018, 06:17:02 PM »
The Illuminati controls the Chinese afterlife?

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28716 on: May 30, 2018, 06:37:37 PM »

"Canst thou force from its due tranquility the mind that is firmly composed by reason? A tyrant thought to drive a man of free birth to reveal his accomplices in a conspiracy, but the prisoner bit off his tongue and threw it into the furious tyrant's face; thus, the tortures which the tyrant thought the instrument of his cruelty the sage made an opportunity for heroism." - Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy, 2.6

Stand up to the tyrants!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 06:38:38 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28717 on: May 30, 2018, 06:43:58 PM »
Two new Pokemon games announced.

Pokemon Quest, which seems like almost a hybrid of Mystery Dungeon, Pikmin, and Legos!

And Pokemon Let's Go which is... a pseudo-remake of Pokemon Yellow except with motion controls, co-op, and an option to start with Eevee? I don't really understand this one very well. Seems like it will also have at least one new Pokemon.

Apparently Gen 8 is coming next year, but that's all they said.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 06:45:16 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28718 on: May 30, 2018, 06:46:25 PM »

"Canst thou force from its due tranquility the mind that is firmly composed by reason? A tyrant thought to drive a man of free birth to reveal his accomplices in a conspiracy, but the prisoner bit off his tongue and threw it into the furious tyrant's face; thus, the tortures which the tyrant thought the instrument of his cruelty the sage made an opportunity for heroism." - Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy, 2.6

Stand up to the tyrants!

Of course! The demon just wants to help him be more woke!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28719 on: May 30, 2018, 06:52:03 PM »
Hung up on a bill collector again. It's easy when they give me an opening. I wonder how many times I can get away with this.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28720 on: May 30, 2018, 06:53:35 PM »
I know, I need to stop doing it. But how many times can I tell them "Give me a while to get a job and then we'll talk?" Isn't it enough for them that they've been taking my PFD ever year for the last five?

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28721 on: May 30, 2018, 07:47:52 PM »
Two new Pokemon games announced.

Pokemon Quest, which seems like almost a hybrid of Mystery Dungeon, Pikmin, and Legos!

And Pokemon Let's Go which is... a pseudo-remake of Pokemon Yellow except with motion controls, co-op, and an option to start with Eevee? I don't really understand this one very well. Seems like it will also have at least one new Pokemon.

Apparently Gen 8 is coming next year, but that's all they said.

Doesn't matter I'm still hyped!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28722 on: May 30, 2018, 08:15:42 PM »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #28723 on: May 31, 2018, 09:39:13 AM »
Hung up on a bill collector again. It's easy when they give me an opening. I wonder how many times I can get away with this.

Depends on which state you live in, but in a lot of places if you string it along for seven years, it will be written off.*

Unless it's student loans, in which case you're screwed.

*I officially endorse paying your bills.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:39:54 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28724 on: May 31, 2018, 02:27:34 PM »
Nope, these are almost all student.

If there was still debtor's prison, I'd be in it by now (I wonder how long we have until the Overton Window encompasses bringing it back lol).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:28:47 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #28725 on: May 31, 2018, 02:30:24 PM »
Nope, these are almost all student.
Then definitely make a payment. The government will straight up garnish your wages until you have paid every penny. Assuming these are federally serviced loans, Navient may be able to put you on an income-based repayment plan, which could come to as low as $0 a month.

EDIT: Saw the edit:

If there was still debtor's prison, I'd be in it by now (I wonder how long we have until the Overton Window encompasses bringing it back lol).

Years ago, I had a collector threaten debtor's prison, to which I laughed.

At the moment, I only have house and student notes, which is a blessing compared to the worst part of my 20s.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:33:43 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28726 on: May 31, 2018, 04:47:49 PM »
There are 27 Star Wars movies that I haven't seen.

There are 27 Star Wars movies which I haven't seen.

Which is correct, and why? ???

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #28727 on: May 31, 2018, 04:51:43 PM »
There are 27 Star Wars movies that I haven't seen.

There are 27 Star Wars movies which I haven't seen.

Which is correct, and why? ???

Both are correct.

Some people might say that "which" has to follow a comma, but this rule is an arbitrary invention.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28728 on: May 31, 2018, 07:41:53 PM »
Got it, thanks :)

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #28729 on: May 31, 2018, 08:25:11 PM »
Is there any context where that and which aren't interchangeable as relative or interrogative pronous?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #28730 on: May 31, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »
Is there any context where that and which aren't interchangeable as relative or interrogative pronous?

This actually explains it pretty well: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/that-or-which
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #28731 on: May 31, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »

This actually explains it pretty well: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/that-or-which
Interesting! Never realised American English made this distinction besides intonation.

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28732 on: May 31, 2018, 11:17:29 PM »
There's nothing worse than having a stuffy nose and sore throat in the summer.  :(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:17:44 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28733 on: May 31, 2018, 11:20:42 PM »
There's nothing worse than having a stuffy nose and sore throat in the summer.  :(

Yeah :-\

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #28734 on: May 31, 2018, 11:45:48 PM »
World War II

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28735 on: June 01, 2018, 01:35:12 AM »
World War II

You know who also didn't like having stuffy noses? HITLER

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #28736 on: June 01, 2018, 01:36:01 AM »
World War II

or long noses for that matter

P.S.: I wish Antonious was still here to scold me about ill jokes and nose fetishism, really miss him around
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:37:01 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #28737 on: June 01, 2018, 01:41:04 AM »
World War II

THANK YOU, Rapha! About time things were put in proper perspective.  :o :P
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #28738 on: June 01, 2018, 04:07:08 AM »
Glad to be helpful!  :angel:

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28739 on: June 01, 2018, 06:59:20 AM »
It's a Southern thing, y'all.  And probably allergies (I'm familiar).   ;D  The proper response is a sympathetic, "Bless your heart" or a hearty, "Don't I know it!"  And then everyone wanders off, back to whatever they were previously doing or about to do.  Is this not how everywhere works?   ???  ;D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28740 on: June 01, 2018, 07:30:24 AM »
It's a Southern thing, y'all.  And probably allergies (I'm familiar).   ;D  The proper response is a sympathetic, "Bless your heart" or a hearty, "Don't I know it!"  And then everyone wanders off, back to whatever they were previously doing or about to do.  Is this not how everywhere works?   ???  ;D

Levity is for the weak. We can have no levity here! When a person sees levity, it is their enemy. A person shows their enemy no mercy! :P

(Proof)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #28741 on: June 01, 2018, 07:58:21 AM »
World War II

Man flu > World War II
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28742 on: June 01, 2018, 08:45:33 AM »

Levity is for the weak. We can have no levity here! When a person sees levity, it is their enemy. A person shows their enemy no mercy! :P

(Proof)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28743 on: June 01, 2018, 09:09:20 AM »
World War II

or long noses for that matter

P.S.: I wish Antonious was still here to scold me about ill jokes and nose fetishism, really miss him around

lol, I always forget that was you.

I miss him, too.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28744 on: June 01, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »
That makes it sound like he's dead lol.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28745 on: June 01, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »
I didn't know pistachio butter was a thing. Now I want to try it!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:11:11 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28746 on: June 01, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »
Slept from about 11 PM-4:30 AM. Not as good as it could be, but still better than average for me.

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28747 on: June 01, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »
Slept from about 11 PM-4:30 AM. Not as good as it could be, but still better than average for me.
What a sad realm you live in.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28748 on: June 01, 2018, 11:05:18 AM »

Why lol?

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28749 on: June 01, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »

Why lol?
You said that was better than average, to me that's unimaginable.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:44:24 AM by Jackson02 »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28750 on: June 01, 2018, 11:47:18 AM »
Oh.

Well, I guess I'm used to it. I'm a little tired, but it's barely noticeable.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28751 on: June 01, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »
Insert virtue signally monologue about monks only sleeping for an hour a night, etc, etc. lol
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:56:42 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28752 on: June 01, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
So, does the whole "pirate vs. ninja/whatever" meme predate the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie (2003)? Because pirates were kind of box office poison after Cutthroat Island until the first movie (much like how the popularity of the original ride revived pirates for the 1960s).

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #28753 on: June 01, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
Is anybody making pirate movies outside the Disney franchise? And I think ninjas peaked for the West in the late 80's.

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28754 on: June 01, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
Is anybody making pirate movies outside the Disney franchise? And I think ninjas peaked for the West in the late 80's.
There was The Pirates Band of Misfits, though that came out a few years ago and didn't spawn any sequels.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:14:39 PM by Jackson02 »